ADVERTISEMENT

1A Basketball mainly women

No but I know who did lol
Lol well that was the worst thing he could have done that game. It was as 6 point game and after that happened we went on a 25-8 run. But like you said kids today don’t understand the intensity of those games.

It was and honestly when coach McKinney came back and then Barnett took over we were more disciplined. We had talent before but we weren’t held accountable. I remember getting in a fight at Hendersonville my junior year after the game. Chris Hughes was a heck of a player too.

Reactions: 97Cougar
It was and honestly when coach McKinney came back and then Barnett took over we were more disciplined. We had talent before but we weren’t held accountable. I remember getting in a fight at Hendersonville my junior year after the game. Chris Hughes was a heck of a player too.
He was. We had some good games over the years.

Reactions: Mhsneer
You have any kids playing this season? Girls or boys basketball?

If they don’t give Ryan Cook the job they’re missing the best option.
Is the school taking outside applications or will they just fill this year and hire again next year? That is a crazy situation, especially for a top-tier program.

So what’s your point about Bishop ladies basketball? They’ll be good again and have the potential to be in the finals again. Bringing back a strong core and 2 new additions that can ball. Plus a coach that is a 8-9x champion. Yes, conference is eh but that won’t make a big difference.

I agree Bishop will be strong. I just hate the competition for them in conference play is so weak.

So what’s your point about Bishop ladies basketball? They’ll be good again and have the potential to be in the finals again. Bringing back a strong core and 2 new additions that can ball. Plus a coach that is a 8-9x champion. Yes, conference is eh but that won’t make a big difference.
If we could recruit y’all would’ve been ruined

Bishop will be very good. They were a solid team last year, just couldn’t get past East Surry when they played. They have 2 freshman who are both really good that will add to their talent. Their biggest issue will be that they don’t have a true post player, all of their bigs are stretch 4s that can shoot.
Their conference schedule is an issue, but knowing how they usually are makes me think they will have a very strong non-conference schedule.

Wow.
I don't know which I dislike more. The ones that denied the advantage or the ones that admit it and laugh.
What sorry ppl American is producing now days.
I’ll say that Bishop’s girls coach doesn’t open recruit. Do they get girls from all over Greensboro, Kernersville, Burlington, and Winston Salem? Yes, but that has more to do with girls wanting to play for him compared to him trying to get them.
Bishops boys coach, the former WSPA boys coach, and the girls coach at WSPA during the run? Now that’s a different story.

I have no problem with getting kids from all over if you played in 4a. That levels the playing field. In 1a most of our schools are in the stix with just a few kids. Our kids play together from kindergarten to 12th grade, they work hard and then lose to a team of all stars. If we could get the best from 3 schools around us we’d never lose in girls. Mountain heritage, Mitchell and Avery have enough talent as a whole to compete with anyone year in and out.

I'm really interested to see how ER does (both guys and gals). I can tell you with 100% certainty the Wildcats won't make nearly an impact as they do in football.

COVID sent star players from Hayesville and Andrews to Towns last year and they won the boys state title in GA. Team pulling from all over SMC would be tough. Not that I would want it to happen in a normal year. Plus 25 mile rule would make it hard.

Last edited:
Bishop girls won 9 straight due to the fact that they built a program that sought to take advantage of the advantage. While that in and of itself was apparently not a violation, it is interesting that suddenly, and mysteriously, in the last few years they dropped from relevance. That alone should tell people that there was much more than meets the eye going on. What this sudden drop-off means is that someone somewhere decided the scrutiny they finally started receiving - and rightfully so - wasn't worth a few rings. Basically, someone started getting keen to their being a fox in the hen house and the chickens were getting ready to come home to roost for BM basketball. A barefooted blind man in a room full of mousetraps could see that one. There is nothing honorable or special about what BM and WSP programs have done.
No doubt, Cherokees girls would have won a couple state championships if it wasn't for BM during their run, barely losing to them twice (once in OT) both in the state semis

If we could recruit y’all would’ve been ruined
This. Bishop adds players always from all over and that’s why the coach has won so many titles. No one even gives them credence because of what they do. Should be at least placed in 2A

Mitchell would’ve won at least 4 if not for bishop university
What years? I'm not trying to argue but I don't think Mitchell girls were the best non Bishop 1A team 4 times during Bishop's 9 year run.

Last edited:
I believe we played them in the final four three times when Lakin Norris was at Mitchell. She’s one of the best players I’ve seen in our conference. Had a good supporting cast. I can’t remember the years in particularly. But I do know those teams beat pretty much all comers till bishop games.

I believe we played them in the final four three times when Lakin Norris was at Mitchell. She’s one of the best players I’ve seen in our conference. Had a good supporting cast. I can’t remember the years in particularly. But I do know those teams beat pretty much all comers till bishop games.
Those years with Norris mitchell probably had a good shot.

2009-2010
09-10 is the only year Bishop played Mitchell in the western regionals to my knowledge. Mitchell was the best 1A public that year, they beat Mount Airy by 2, who had actually beat Bishop twice during the regular season. So I agree Bishop did cost Mitchell a title, but not 4. Cherokee is the team probably most hard done during those Bishop years, Braves had 3 teams that couldve won it all without Bishop in the way, Braves played them closer than anyone in '10-'11, '11-'12 and '12-'13 during playoffs.

Last edited:
You’re right about Cherokee. We lost in 3 consecutive final fours but only once to bishop during that time. The other two we were in 2a. Lost to Salisbury and East davidson I believe. Avery boys were robbed by Winston Salem prep 3 years in a row as well

You’re right about Cherokee. We lost in 3 consecutive final fours but only once to bishop during that time. The other two we were in 2a. Lost to Salisbury and East davidson I believe. Avery boys were robbed by Winston Salem prep 3 years in a row as well
It was a tough three year stretch for Avery running into Prep every year. Those Polsgrove teams were so tough and well coached. I know they knocked out one of the best teams Hayesville has had in 2015 before losing to Prep.

But two of those years Prep didn’t win the title. 2015 East Carteret beat W-S Prep in the final. So there can’t be too much of a gripe because a traditional school won it (the last one in 1A, I believe). 2016 was Voyager beating Prep in the finals when the coach’s son was Jay Huff from the Lakers. Avery certainly had a good claim to be the best traditional school that year, but Northside-Pinetown also had Bam Adebayo (of Miami Heat/US Olympic team) that year and lost to Voyager in East final, so who knows what would have happened if there had been no charters/magnets. 2014 Avery would have had their shot at East Carteret in the final if Prep wasn’t around, and who knows what would’ve happened. But those East Carteret teams were tough. I think they lost to Prep by 1 in the final that year.

Last edited:
Murphy girls beat Fannin County GA in a scrimmage 48-41. Fannin girls were a 2A state finalist last year and brought back some good players, including a D2 signee point guard. A pretty decent sign that Murphy should be solid at least.

Murphy girls beat Fannin County GA in a scrimmage 48-41. Fannin girls were a 2A state finalist last year and brought back some good players, including a D2 signee point guard. A pretty decent sign that Murphy should be solid at least.
I’d put them at the top of my top 5 in the west until someone knocks them off.

Reactions: mbdfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT