ADVERTISEMENT

1A and 4A playoffs

RD28327

Aug 12, 2003
Carthage, NC 28327
1A and 4A playoffs drop from 64 to 48 teams. Impacted sports include football, basketball, baseball, softball, soccer and volleyball.

Yadkin Valley, lmao. Why? Are Elkin and the other schools actually in the Yadkin Valley going to join? Should have gone with Central Tar Heel

1A and 4A playoffs drop from 64 to 48 teams. Impacted sports include football, basketball, baseball, softball, soccer and volleyball.
So the teams must be the #1 and #2 teams in each conferences correct? Thanks.

So the teams must be the #1 and #2 teams in each conferences correct? Thanks.
Huh? there will still be wild cards with 48 teams, there aren't 24 1A conferences...

The only way it would've been better is if they went to 32 teams, there aren't 64 or 48 1A teams deserving of being in the playoffs.

Last edited:
I thought better scenario was 32 teams subdivided. Four rounds. Finish week prior to 2A and 3A.

Reactions: mbdfan
Yadkin Valley, lmao. Why? Are Elkin and the other schools actually in the Yadkin Valley going to join? Should have gone with Central Tar Heel

Yasmin Valley has been used for conferences with Davidson, Stanly, and Montgomery schools for a several alignments. Nothing new.

I thought better scenario was 32 teams subdivided. Four rounds. Finish week prior to 2A and 3A.
Agreed tango, making the playoffs should be a reward for a quality season, not a participation trophy where everyone makes it in.

Maxpreps rankings will be used to fill wildcard positions after conference champions is my understanding.

surely they will go by overall record then use maxpreps as tiebreaker? whatever they decide they need to stick to it. this playoff format changing every year and tiebreaking scenerios changing really gets old

Reactions: Slasher Killer
surely they will go by overall record then use maxpreps as tiebreaker? whatever they decide they need to stick to it. this playoff format changing every year and tiebreaking scenerios changing really gets old

Going off MaxPreps after conference champions are placed. I think the records should be out the window. I have been an advocate of conference champions being placed by a poll and then every other team a wild card seeded by poll. The difference in levels of competition are so varied.

Will Murphy and Mitchell have a good chance of being 1AA with this scenario? If so this will be an unusual 1A west unless Rville is real good again.

Will Murphy and Mitchell have a good chance of being 1AA with this scenario?
I think the small 1a bracket will lose a lot more teams from this than the 1aa bracket, so no I dont really think so. If anything it increases the odds they're small 1a.

does split conferences still have 1 seeds, for instance east wilkes, all they got to do is beat sorry elkin, alleghany, and starmount to be top 1a in there conference or does that no longer exist?

I think the small 1a bracket will lose a lot more teams from this than the 1aa bracket, so no I dont really think so. If anything it increases the odds they're small 1a.

Great just when I thought Murphy might go 1a and give another team a chance to represent the west in small 1a, now we get to watch Murphy represent the West again for another 5 years. totally bummer, and yes im jealous of murphys success.

The 48 teams are determined and then they will split in half to determine the small 1A and 1AA.

The 48 teams are determined and then they will split in half to determine the small 1A and 1AA.
we know that, what mbdfan is saying is that more teams that suck( the last 16 teams that would have got in in years past) came from the very low admn numbers, which if this stays the course should bump up the cutoff line. Almost guaranteeing murphy would stay small 1a.

Yes, I'm aware of that

what mbdfan is saying is that more teams that suck (the last 16 teams that would have got in in years past) came from the very low admn numbers, which if this stays the course should bump up the cutoff line.
exactly, this 48 team playoff is going to see several teams that have traditionally played in the 1AA bracket (like Mount Airy for example) probably playing in the 1A bracket more often.

Last edited:
Well there goes this awkward interview question. "Well coach your resume says your record is 10-45 over your 5 years at your last job, but it also says 5 playoff berths in a row. Is that a mistake?"

Did gentry get to vote on This?

Yes. Not sure how he voted but I think he went along with this.

I asked Coach Gentry last season what he thought about possibly going to four rounds and 32 total teams which is what I felt was best. He agreed a change was needed and thought looking at a reduction made sense. With 75 teams I do not see how anyone (1A and 4A) would think that 85% making the playoffs is a good plan. At 32 teams 43% make the playoffs which to me is a great percentage.

Did gentry get to vote on This?

Going by last years brackets and eliminating the 7 and 8 seeds from the west, mid-west, east and mid-east the cut off for 48 team field last year between 1A and 1AA would have been around 530 according to my calculations if I am correct.

But you also have to keep in mind that it won't be exactly the same as last year, since new alignments are based on 20-30-30-20 model.

More games will be played in the first round of 1A than 1AA. Most of your 1 seeds will be in 1AA.

Can someone please explain or guess just how the 20-30-30-20 change plus the move to 48 teams impacts the Northwest 1-A Conference ( Winston-Salem Prep, South Stokes! North Stokes, East Surry, Mount Airy, Bishop) In the past South Stokes and East Surry have always been big and Bishop, North Stokes, and Prep have been small and Mount Airy has been usually big but occasionally small. I am totally confused!

Can someone please explain or guess just how the 20-30-30-20 change plus the move to 48 teams impacts the Northwest 1-A Conference ( Winston-Salem Prep, South Stokes! North Stokes, East Surry, Mount Airy, Bishop) In the past South Stokes and East Surry have always been big and Bishop, North Stokes, and Prep have been small and Mount Airy has been usually big but occasionally small. I am totally confused!

I'm not sure what the other poster was referring to. I do believe, After the 48 teams are selected they will be divided into IA and 1AA, then split east and west.

2017 Playoff Format and Qualification Process
MAY 4, 2017

2017 Playoff Format and Qualification Process - as approved by the Board of Directors at the 2017 Spring Board Meeting

4.1.17 Bracket Sizes

(a) Baseball, Basketball, Soccer, Softball, Volleyball

(1) 1A, 4A: 48 team brackets

(2) 2A, 3A: 64 team brackets

(b) Football

(1) 1A & 4A: 48 team brackets

§ Subdvided into 1A, 1AA, 4A, 4AA (24 team brackets)

(2) 2A & 3A: 64 team brackets

§ Subdvided into 2A, 2AA, 3A, 3AA (32 team brackets)

4.1.18 Playoff Berths/Qualification

(a) Conference automatic qualifiers are determined by the number of teams from a

given classification in each conference as follows:

(1) 1 – 4 teams = 1 automatic qualifier

(2) 5 – 8 teams = 2 automatic qualifiers

(3) 9 or more teams = 3 automatic qualifiers

(b) Conference tournament champions automatically qualify

(1) If the regular season champion also wins the tournament, no additional berth

will be awarded.

(2) If a team other than the regular season champion wins the tournament, it will

automatically qualify for the playoffs. The team will be seeded as an at-large

berth in the playoffs unless already automatically qualified based upon their

regular season conference finish.

(c) Split conference application

(1) The highest finishing team from a given classification will automatically

qualify, regardless of overall conference finish.

(2) Two teams that finish 1st and 2nd overall in the conference from the same

classification will automatically qualify regardless of rule 4.1.18(a)(1-3).

**Ties for 1st place in the overall conference or for highest finisher in a classification must

be broken using the established tie-breaking procedure [rule 4.1.13].

(d) If too many teams qualify using the above criteria, adjustments to the established

bracket size will be made to accommodate the automatic qualifiers.

(e) If not enough teams qualify using the above criteria, the bracket will be filled by

non-automatic qualifiers in that classification

(1) Teams in their classification with the highest MaxPreps ranking (or other

NCHSAA selected ranking system) will be selected to fill the remaining slots

in the bracket.

4.1.19 Seeding

(a) Once the qualifying teams in each classification are determined, they will be divided

into two regions of equal size (East and West) based on the longitude of each school.

(b) The teams in each region will be seeded as follows:

(1) Seed all 1st place automatic berths and highest finishing team in each

classification of a split conference by MaxPreps ranking (or other NCHSAA

selected ranking system); then

(2) Seed all 2nd place automatic berths by MaxPreps ranking (or other NCHSAA

(3) Seed all 3rd place automatic berths by MaxPreps ranking (or other NCHSAA

(4) Seed all conference tournament champions and at-large berths by MaxPreps

ranking (or other NCHSAA selected ranking system).

(c) Once seeding is complete:

(1) Existing byes will be awarded to the highest seeds possible.

(2) The higher seed is the home team unless otherwise determined by the

NCHSAA.

More games will be played in the first round of 1A than 1AA. Most of your 1 seeds will be in 1AA.
no, the 48 teams are selected then they're split into 1AA and 1A, the 1st round games played in 1AA and 1A will be equal

Then answer me this , if more first place teams are 1AA, then they will award equal amount of byes to teams that are undeserving? If their are say only 2 league champs in 1A after the division into 1A and 1AA, they will give each division the same number of byes. I don't see how they could justify that.

That means a third place team in 1A with a 5-6 record could get a bye instead of a 9-2 second place team in 1AA. That is just plain nuts.
Sure, it's possible, but I seriously doubt the 1A bracket will be so weak that a 5-6 team gets a 1st round bye, unless said team is a #1 seed in a split classification conference. Personally I think the 1A bracket will now become stronger, or at the very least as strong, as it's ever been.

A 48 team bracket will eliminate basically all of the 2 and 3 win small 1A teams that have been making the playoffs an as a result it's going to push down some teams that have traditionally went 1AA. You'll have bubble teams like Mount Airy, Mitchell, Murphy, etc. probably playing in 1A more years than not now, increasing the overall quality of the 1A bracket relative to what it's been.

Last edited:
I suspect murphy mount airy mitchell and mountain island charter to all be small 1a teams that win their conference. Unfortunately mountain island charter will be ranked highest on maxpreps due to them blowing out garbage teams(except for tja and bessemer city) most weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT