ADVERTISEMENT

SMC Basketball

murphy has the size and talent to win conference and a few playoff games. But they did last year, too. Saw one online site pick Hayesville last, which was weird to see.
Murphy would need another really good guard if they truly wanted to make serious noise in the playoffs, but they should be good for this area and like you said on paper they should have a chance to win a couple playoff games with a good draw. No excuses for this coaching staff not to win the conference title this year, as they have the best roster in the conference going into the season and plenty of experience.

As far as Hayesville goes I can't see them finishing last with Coach Cottrell at the helm, although from a pure talent perspective it could probably be argued that they have the least in the pipeline of the 6 SMC teams heading into the season.

Last edited:
Playoffs once again will put Robbinsville, Murphy, Swain & Hayesville a little behind but after Christmas it won’t take long to get rolling. Should be some very good conference games this year.

Don't sleep on the Maroon Devils. Watched on mdn last night and they've got a lot of size and 2 very athletic guards.
They certainly pass the eye test. If you asked somebody who knew nothing about WNC to look at them and Smoky when they ran out and guess which was 1A and which team was 3A I’m confident they’d have gotten it wrong. And that 1-3-1 with a lanky 6-6 kid who can move at the top is going to give people some trouble. There was some first game sloppiness and bad shooting but they should get past that.

Robbinsville will benefit from a transfer and a few that are coming out that haven’t been out before or At least played at Robbinsville

They certainly pass the eye test. If you asked somebody who knew nothing about WNC to look at them and Smoky when they ran out and guess which was 1A and which team was 3A I’m confident they’d have gotten it wrong. And that 1-3-1 with a lanky 6-6 kid who can move at the top is going to give people some trouble. There was some first game sloppiness and bad shooting but they should get past that.
Wow a 1-3-1

Yes but a good 3 point shooting team can make it rough especially for the defensive man on the base line. I love the 1-3-1 because that’s what we used in my day. But that was before 3 pt lol
True on the baseline guy. But it seems to me a lot of shooters dont like the corner 3. And it brings in a possible trap. Plus most teams just run a 2-3 or man so it gives you something else to prepare for. And a tall, athletic guy at the top can wreak havoc .

I too am from the pre 3 point era lol

Losing Xander to Murphy is a huge loss though
Yes. But the transfer from AC should take a lot of that sting away. Not sure he is a true PG but we should have better shooting than last year. We may struggle a little until Lovin gets back from a collar bone injury.

True on the baseline guy. But it seems to me a lot of shooters dont like the corner 3. And it brings in a possible trap. Plus most teams just run a 2-3 or man so it gives you something else to prepare for. And a tall, athletic guy at the top can wreak havoc .

I too am from the pre 3 point era lol
During the span of a game I love seeing a coach change defenses throughout the game. Mix it up to keep a team off balance. A little zone, man to man, half court press etc.

Reactions: therealsquid
@WickedStix9 I know Robbinsville has 2 kids from last year's JV team that will get a lot of playing time this year, but I can't recall who they are and can't find a roster anywhere.

@WickedStix9 I know Robbinsville has 2 kids from last year's JV team that will get a lot of playing time this year, but I can't recall who they are and can't find a roster anywhere.
I assume the roster isn’t posted because they haven’t had a chance to hold the first practice until today. They have a game tomorrow. I believe the 2 from JV that will get a lot of playing time will be Luke Lovin and Dane Knott. Lovin is injured from football currently but should be the staring PG when healthy.

Reactions: FYNSportsJakeWest
Robbinsville beats Nantahala 81-21. Hard to get a gauge at all against Nantahala. Once we get in basketball shape and the football guys get the feel back for the round ball, Robbinsville should be pretty good. Between them, Swain and Murphy, there should be a lot of good close games. Smoky on Thursday will be a better test for the Knights.

MaxPreps shows Murphy beating Union County (GA) 64-49. Game was at Union and Union was ranked #6 in 2A in GA coming in. Good win for the Bulldogs' first game of season.
It was a good win, especially for an opener on the road, with Union 5-1 coming in and wins over 6A Habersham and 3A White County. But it was a lot closer than the final score. Union led at half and Murphy really just pulled away the last few minutes.

Murphy shot it well, Rummler is a serious athlete down low (ask the kid who got put on a poster), Skogen is smooth all around and Wachacha seemed to mesh with them well. Wish Murphy was playing Gilmer again this year--would have liked to see that frontcourt get tested against Gilmer's 7 footer.

It was a good win, especially for an opener on the road, with Union 5-1 coming in and wins over 6A Habersham and 3A White County. But it was a lot closer than the final score. Union led at half and Murphy really just pulled away the last few minutes.

Murphy shot it well, Rummler is a serious athlete down low (ask the kid who got put on a poster), Skogen is smooth all around and Wachacha seemed to mesh with them well. Wish Murphy was playing Gilmer again this year--would have liked to see that frontcourt get tested against Gilmer's 7 footer.
Thanks for the details. I didn't get to go. This is going to be one of the best SMC seasons in a while. Full of athletes.

Rville ended up winning by 6. Smoky is 0-6 after their top returning scorer transferred to Tuscola and a big time athlete did not play because he’s going to ECU for football. But still impressive to beat a 3A school with less than a week of practice for most of the team.

Last edited:
Reactions: GreyGod623
Andrews Boys are 6 - 0
We are also doing it without due to injuries
6’6 West Senior
6’3 Tatham Junior
5’9 Aguilar Junior
All 3 of these players would have had quality minutes in every game

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
Andrews at Robbinsville Tuesday should be a good one.

Scores like the Cherokee-Andrews girls score drive home just how tough SMC girls is. Andrews just beat 3A Tuscola by double digits earlier in the week.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
Andrews at Robbinsville Tuesday should be a good one.

Scores like the Cherokee-Andrews girls score drive home just how tough SMC girls is. Andrews just beat 3A Tuscola by double digits earlier in the week.
wonder if Cherokee girls left their starters in through the whole game? They can be bad for that at times.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT