ADVERTISEMENT

SMC Basketball

Robbinsville is a good team, but I'd say my bigger takeaway from the Cherokee/Hayesville score is how far Cherokee has come in the last month. Cherokee lost twice to Franklin by 25+ just a few weeks ago. Not even a month later they're beating a Hayesville team that was pretty even with Franklin.
What was the score?

Braves and lady braves win over Highlands, boys won big girls won by six, the girls seem to always struggle with Highlands

Reactions: 97Cougar
Just saw where Murphy boys pulled a huge upset over Robbinsville boys and beat them pretty handily 74-56. It seems Murphy is better then their record would indicate with wins over Robbinsville and Franklin. Thoughts anyone?

Just saw where Murphy boys pulled a huge upset over Robbinsville boys and beat them pretty handily 74-56. It seems Murphy is better then their record would indicate with wins over Robbinsville and Franklin. Thoughts anyone?
The SMC as a whole from top to bottom are very good teams. Anyone can get beat on any given night.

I said on here this summer I thought with their size and talent they had a chance to win some playoff games this year, then they started 2-5. Since that win over an 18-2 3A Franklin team at Christmas though they seem to be a new team. Overall I think the SMC doesn’t have any elite teams this year, but there aren’t any bad teams in the SMC either.

These last two weeks will be very fun to watch on the boys side of things. Robbinsville can lock up the regular season title if they take care of business, but if they dont it could get very interesting!

Looks like Robbinsville will take it unless they lose to Swain Tuesday and Murphy beats Cherokee. They did lose to Swain earlier, so it’s possible.

Cherokee boys were 4 and 1 tied for first and now have lost 4 in a row. Hope they make the playoffs

Reactions: uk-te-na
Not taking anything away from Swain but Robbinsville did lose a double OT game to Cooke Co Tenn the night before.
We actually won that game against Cocke Co. but I agree. Similarly we play HD Monday so I hope we can get up and save the legs a little. Regardless, it will be electric in Graham Co Tuesday night!

Lady braves finished conference last night undefeated beating Murphy by 23

The braves end the season on a 5 game conference losing streak, lost to Murphy by 5 with two starters out

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
Lady braves finished conference last night undefeated beating Murphy by 23

The braves end the season on a 5 game conference losing streak, lost to Murphy by 5 with two starters out
I was hoping Cherokee would win that varsity boys game.

So Robbinsville and Murphy will get a bye.
Cherokee will play Hayesville
Andrews will play Swain
Murphy will play winner of Andrews/Swain
Robbinsville will play winner of Cherokee/Hayesville

Last edited:
Reactions: ObserveAndReport
Andrews with a big much needed win over Hayesville. Hopefully it will give them a boost going into the SMC Tournament.

Playoff matchups for SMC

Boys:
13) Murphy v. 20) WS Prep
14) Avery v. 19) Andrews
6) Robbinsville v. 27) MTN Island Charter
11) HDHS v. 22) Swain Co.
7) Bessemer City v. 26) Cherokee
15) Mount Airy v. 18) Hayesville

Andrews getting Weaver back from his football injury late season gives them a huge boost and they should be able to give Avery a good game, although Avery is a notoriously tough place to play. Mount Airy started 3-9 after their football title run, so their record is deceiving, but I think them and Hayesville will be a competitive but low scoring game. SMC seems to have a pretty good shot to put a team in the 3rd round from that pod that has Robbinsville/MIC winner playing Swain/HD winner in 2d round...although MIC seems underseeded to me.

Girls:

9) Highlands v. 24) HDHS
13) Robbinsville v. 20) Starmount
3) Cherokee v. 30) Highland Tech
6) East Wilkes v. 27) Murphy
7) Bessemer City v. 26) Swain
2) Bishop McGuinness v. 31) Hayesville

I hate that HDHS and Highlands drew each other in the first round, because they just played in the conference finals a couple days ago...plus I love seeing the Little Smoky win in the playoffs and I thought they both are capable of winning first round games. Robbinsville and Starmount each seem to be coming into the playoffs playing their best ball of the season, and should make for a good game.

Anybody else got any thoughts?

Did Cherokee boys have injuries or just started getting beat they were 4 and 1 to start conference play then just tanked and lost there last 6 conference games?

Did Cherokee boys have injuries or just started getting beat they were 4 and 1 to start conference play then just tanked and lost there last 6 conference games?
They lost their only starting senior for the last few games for the season but they already started their losing streak before then. They just don't seem to know how to play when theyre not making anything

Most of the Boys Games turned out to be pretty good basketball.

Avery 62 Andrews 61, FINAL
Bessemer City 56 Cherokee 38, FINAL
Mount Airy 62 Hayesville 45, FINAL
Hiwassee Dam 62 Swain County 71, FINAL
Robbinsville 46 Mtn Island Charter 45, FINAL
Murphy 64 WS Prep 60, FINAL

What's things looking like around the conference this year?

I know on the girls side Cherokee should be really strong, a super freshman group moving up from middle school to supplement a good returning varsity nucleus.

On the boys side Murphy should have their best team in a while with the returning CPOY Skogen and two other all conference players in Rummler and Robbinsville transfer Wachacha, along with a couple talented kids from the conference champion JV squad.

What's things looking like around the conference this year?

I know on the girls side Cherokee should be really strong, a super freshman group moving up from middle school to supplement a good returning varsity nucleus.

On the boys side Murphy should have their best team in a while with the returning CPOY Skogen and two other all conference players in Rummler and Robbinsville transfer Wachacha, along with a couple talented kids from the conference champion JV squad.
I think it will probably be between Murphy/Robbinsville again this year on the boys side. We return Carpenter, Adams, Jumper. We lost PG production but we have 2 moving up from JVs that will be just fine I believe. They won’t handle the ball as well as Brock Adams but they can probably shoot a little better. We will definitely play through our bigs though.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
murphy has the size and talent to win conference and a few playoff games. But they did last year, too. Saw one online site pick Hayesville last, which was weird to see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT