ADVERTISEMENT

SMC Basketball

ObserveAndReport

Aug 18, 2009
SMC basketball got underway last night for a few schools.

Hayesville beat Blue Ridge by 50+. It was boys only, picked up when Nantahala apparently didn't field a boys team. Not much to take away from a game like that, except learning that Hayesville's transfer from (I believe) Smoky Mountain can shoot it. Will get a better overall read on Hayesville next week when they play Tallulah Falls--which won its GA private school league last year and is 3-0 to start this year.

Swain beat Smoky Mountain by 25 or so in boys. Groenewald is back playing for Swain this year and really helps them. Not a good year for Smoky to be moving up to 3A--they're a bit down personnel-wise. Smoky won pretty handily on the girls side. Lots of size and a quick little point guard--should be pretty good in their league although I think Pisgah is probably the favorite.

Looking forward to hearing anybody's else's predictions or takes.

Murphy girls lost to AC Reynolds by 14 last night. Not entirely sure what to make of that, as AC Reynolds were not particularly good this spring in their league. So unless I'm missing something not a great sign.

I did notice one of Murphy's returning core players from last season, Phillips, is no longer listed on their roster. I'm not sure what happened there but it's not good for them as she would've probably been their top player this season outside of Rogers and Martin. So between no Phillips and Wilson transferring to Rabun Gap last season they've now lost their top two guards from the group, hard to overcome that even with a player like Rogers.

Last edited:
Cherokee girls beat Franklin last night 67-59. Panthers brining back their top two scorers from a second place team, so a good start for Cherokee.

Franklin boys won pretty handily. This will probably be the best Franklin boys team in years--basically the same core for the third year in a row. I think they win their conference now that they're 3A and don't have to deal with Hendersonville any more.

Reactions: mbdfan
Murphy girls have lost alot of players. Only two return from the back to back state titles. Both are very good players but they are having to mesh with some freshman and sophomore girls who haven't played at the varsity level yet. They will improve as the season goes on

Reactions: mbdfan
Cherokee girls lost to Pisgah last night 59-53. Lost a ten point lead in the fourth. Boys were down by twenty at the end of the third when I packed it in for the drive home.

Cherokee girls lost to Pisgah last night 59-53. Lost a ten point lead in the fourth. Boys were down by twenty at the end of the third when I packed it in for the drive home.

I think Pisgah girls should be one of the best teams in the mountains, so that's still a good showing.
Boys made a comeback lost by 3
Did the boys look better than the Franklin game? Or does Franklin look that much better than Pisgah?

Didn't make the Franklin game so I cant say, I think braves just need a couple games to figure some things out, jv boys look really good

IMHO Franklin looks that much better than Pisgah. Pisgah didn’t seem to have a McClure or Green, like Franklin.

Andrews boys host telling plains tonight. I know nothing about tellico but I heard Bateman should be back for Andrews Tonight

Andrews boys host telling plains tonight. I know nothing about tellico but I heard Bateman should be back for Andrews Tonight
I don't know much about them except that they lost to Hiwassee Dam in OT. I did watch some of the highlights from the Andrews-Franklin game--Ellis looks like a player already. But McClure from Franklin is a load--and more athletic than I realized. That tip jam in the first quarter was impressive. Although if I was the kid who missed that layup so badly I'd tell all my friends I was throwing an alley oop off the backboard. Franklin-Swain is also tonight and could be one to watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildcat10fan
I don't know much about them except that they lost to Hiwassee Dam in OT. I did watch some of the highlights from the Andrews-Franklin game--Ellis looks like a player already. But McClure from Franklin is a load--and more athletic than I realized. That tip jam in the first quarter was impressive. Although if I was the kid who missed that layup so badly I'd tell all my friends I was throwing an alley oop off the backboard. Franklin-Swain is also tonight and could be one to watch.
Mcclure was better than I expected too. Andrews played their two best defenders on him all night and still couldn't really slow him down.

I didn't make the game but I heard Andrews lost by 5
Thanks !! I figured it would be close just going by the score we both had against Tellico Plains and it being played at HD. We just had a game the night before and it takes a little time to get in Basketball shape not to mention nagging injuries left over from football. This bunch will be ok.

Playing at HD is whole different animal. Just look at their 2 Towns Co. scores--lost by 28 at Towns Co. but beat Towns at home. I know Towns lost a good bit from their state title team, but they still have some really good players like Crowder and Oakes and actually just beat Rabun Gap. And they lost at HD.

Last edited:
Robbinsville boys won over Highlands.

I think the score was 55-43?
Could have been by 30. Robbinsville had a lot of good looks that just wasn’t falling. After coming straight out of football they looked good.

Playing at HD is whole different animal. Just look at their 2 Towns Co. scores--lost by 28 at Towns Co. but beat Towns at home. I know Towns lost a good bit from their state title team, but they still have some really good players like Crowder and Oakes and actually just beat Rabun Gap. And they lost at HD.
Exactly. I remember that real good Wildcats team we had lost there then beat them by like 30 at home. I remember the old gym where the heat was turned up to like 80 degrees. Lol. Tough place for sure

Any big games tonight? I know Murphy girls play the top ranked ga 3A team tomorrow. That should be a good tell of how good they will be this year. They've had to pretty impressive wins against Fannin and enka already

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT