ADVERTISEMENT

SMC Basketball

The earlier games are North Buncombe vs. Franklin at 11 am. I'm eager to see Franklin play as I heard they are good this year. Bishop M vs. Moravian Prep Regional at 2 PM. Keep an eye on the game as Moravian Prep Reg. team is solid but not anything like the National team. But wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of the "Post Grad" or national guys on the team as well. Should be a good 3 days of solid basketball
Newest bracket has Madison replacing Moravian Prep. Maybe they overbooked themselves? Still enough good teams there for a fun event. Franklin’s front court is really good-three three/four-year starters including a lanky 6-5 SF named Green that I think could be a steal for somebody at the next level.

Last edited:
Reactions: 97Cougar
Newest bracket has Madison replacing Moravian Prep. Maybe they overbooked themselves? Still enough good teams there for a fun event. Franklin’s front court is really good-three three/four-year starters including a lanky 6-5 SF named Green that I think could be a steal for somebody at the next level.

O&R do you know anything about the streaming of the Swain and Cherokee tournaments?

Lady braves beat Avery, Cherokee boys lost, had half the team out I guess COVID, moved the JV starters up and almost won

Don't know how accurate these are but someone texted me that at Swain Hiwassee Dam downed Tuscola, Smoky down Andrews and Hayesville running clock with MT Heritage.
I had seen that Polk County replaced Tuscola on the boys side and HD beat Polk in OT. HD girls beat Tuscola girls. Smoky beat Andrews by 4 in boys and by a lot in girls. Swain girls beat Brevard by a lot. Swain boys beat Brevard by 7.

Last edited:
Day 2 from Swain:
Girls: Tuscola 48, Andrews 30
Boys: Andrews 64, Polk County 53
Girls: Brevard 49, Hayesville 41 (also seeing as 49-44)
Boys: Mountain Heritage 54, Brevard 46
Girls: Smoky Mountain 70, Hiwassee Dam 60
Boys: Hiwassee Dam 85, Smoky Mountain 53
Girls: Mountain Heritage 77, Swain 53
Boys: Hayesville 86, Swain 58

Tomorrow's bracket:
7th Place Girls: Andrews v. Hayesville
7th Place Boys: Polk County v. Brevard
5th Place Girls: Tuscola v. Brevard
5th Place Boys: Andrews v. Mountain Heritage
3rd Place Girls: Hiwassee Dam v Swain
3rd Place Boys: Smoky Mountain v Swain
Girls Championship: Smoky Mountain v Mountain Heritage
Boys Championship: Hiwassee Dam v Hayesville

Last edited:
Day 2 from Swain so far:
Girls: Tuscola 48, Andrews 30
Boys: Andrews 64, Polk County 53
Girls: Brevard 49, Hayesville 41 (also seeing as 49-44)
Boys: Mountain Heritage 54, Brevard 46
Girls: Smoky Mountain 70, Hiwassee Dam 60
Boys:Hiwassee Dam 85, Smoky Mountain 53

Tomorrow's bracket so far:
7th Place Girls: Andrews v. Hayesville
7th Place Boys: Polk County v. Brevard
5th Place Girls: Tuscola v. Brevard
5th Place Boys: Andrews v. Mountain Heritage
3rd Place Girls: Hiwassee Dam v TBD
3rd Place Boys: Smoky Mountain v TBD
Girls Championship: Smoky Mountain v TBD
Boys Championship: Hiwassee Dam vTBD
Girls championship game will be Smokey Mountain vs Mountain Heritage.

• Wow
Reactions: BK13T-$
Cherokee boys end the tournament giving Madison their first win, lady braves lose a close one to AC Reynold by one

Reactions: 97Cougar
Murphy played the worst quarter they've played in literal years to open the game, Cherokee was up 14-2 at the end of the 1st. Lady 'Dogs battled back to tie it up in the 4th but lady Braves never relinquished the lead. You can't drop home games in this conference and expect to win the conference title, lady Knights in the driver's seat now with Cherokee and Murphy on their court.

Murphy girls are in a funk right now, they were poor in their last game against Highlands too, a monster game from Rogers is the only thing that saved them in that one. Hopefully they get the ship righted before playoffs start, they still have enough to win it all in my opinion if they are hitting on all cylinders but their margin for error is definitely not what it was for the last couple of Murphy girls teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: therealsquid
Murphy boys lose in double OT to HD. 'Dogs were up by 22 in the 3rd Q and lost, inexcusable
County rival schools--one three times bigger than the other. Then the small one's all-conference center transfers to the bigger school at the beginning of the school year. When they play, the small school comes back from 22 down and finishes off a season sweep. It's like the plot of an 80s sports movie. But I can see why you're mad.

Obviously if they can go to 3A West #3 RPI Enka and be neck and neck until the second half, and beat the 2A and 3A GA schools that they've beaten, Murphy has a good team. So then some of the losses they have must be extra frustrating.

Last edited:
Reactions: mbdfan
County rival schools--one three times bigger than the other. Then the small one's all-conference center transfers to the bigger school at the beginning of the school year. When they play, the small school comes back from 22 down and finishes off a season sweep. It's like the plot of an 80s sports movie. But I can see why you're mad.

Obviously if they can go to 3A West #3 RPI Enka and be neck and neck until the second half, and beat the 2A and 3A GA schools that they've beaten, Murphy has a good team. So then some of the losses they have must be extra frustrating.
Murphy should really have 4 or 5 more wins right now, so yes it's frustrating for sure. This is the most talented team they've had in a decade talent wise and they're only going to be more talented in the next few years with last year's JV conference champs (plus Rummler) becoming upperclassmen and this year's undefeated middle school team that rolled everybody, moving up.

Next year's team should be one of the favorites in conference on paper with all their contributors, minus Hunter Laney, returning and the graduation losses of Hayesville and Swain. But one of the favorites, versus THE favorite probably depends on whether Ray is coaching them or not.

Crazy game in swain bunch of fans for swain got thrown out, Swains Groenewold got 2 T's and got ejected, hayesville boys beat swain for the third time this year 80-55
Hayesville starting to look like a legit title contender if they keep playing at this level.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT