ADVERTISEMENT

SMC Basketball

Any big games tonight? I know Murphy girls play the top ranked ga 3A team tomorrow. That should be a good tell of how good they will be this year. They've had to pretty impressive wins against Fannin and enka already

Franklin Swain rematch at Franklin may be the biggest boys game tonight. It’s on Franklin’s network. Robbinsville-Smoky Mountain probably the best girls game. Murphy also plays at HD tonight, which should be a good boys game and atmosphere--it's always interesting when a good player transfers and then plays back at their old school.

Last edited:
Andrews or the charter?
Andrews does have some good young players, but I was mostly being snarky about the new charter in Asheville. This part of the state hasn’t had to deal with charters much, but it is coming. There is also one in Jackson County showing up on some schedules, and the ones in Haywood and Cherokee counties are adding high schools.

Swain looks good, real good !
Hayesville is Hayesville and is still the team to beat !
Murphy only lost to Hayesville by 3 !
Cherokee has beaten a couple of 3A schools and are always tough !

I made a comment earlier that no one in the SMC could take Hayesville down but after watching a few of these teams play I retract my statement. It will still be a huge task but it can be done ! Looking to be a tight conference

Swain looks good, real good !
Hayesville is Hayesville and is still the team to beat !
Murphy only lost to Hayesville by 3 !
Cherokee has beaten a couple of 3A schools and are always tough !

I made a comment earlier that no one in the SMC could take Hayesville down but after watching a few of these teams play I retract my statement. It will still be a huge task but it can be done ! Looking to be a tight conference
Looking forward to seeing hayesville team full staff, 2 starters out Friday.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
Looking forward to seeing hayesville team full staff, 2 starters out Friday.
Yes, I found that out after my post. I heard 2 starters at home and a couple playing that were just getting over being sick. So that win by 3 is very impressive after being down that many players and at Murphy. McTaggert 25 pts- 19 rebounds

Robbinsville lady Knights 4-1
AT
Murphy Tuesday
Which Christmas tournament is Robbinsville girls playing in? I was hoping it was the swain one just because I’d like to see how we match up but I’ve saw the field they are not in it.

Which Christmas tournament is Robbinsville girls playing in? I was hoping it was the swain one just because I’d like to see how we match up but I’ve saw the field they are not in it.
According to the Mountain Hoops insert in the paper, they’re in the middle of the Tellico Plains tournament right now.

Thanks, was just curious. Who all is in that tournament?

A bunch of Tennessee teams. Not a true tournament, more of a classic with pre-set games. Robbinsville girls lost by 1 to 4A Walker Valley from Cleveland on Friday and killed 1A Copper Basin yesterday. Play Tellico tomorrow.

if you’re looking to see more of the playoff competition while you’re in Bryson City, Cherokee is also hosting a tournament just down the road. The boys field in that Cherokee tournament especially has some big guns.

Reactions: 97Cougar
A bunch of Tennessee teams. Not a true tournament, more of a classic with pre-set games. Robbinsville girls lost by 1 to 4A Walker Valley from Cleveland on Friday and killed 1A Copper Basin yesterday. Play Tellico tomorrow.

if you’re looking to see more of the playoff competition while you’re in Bryson City, Cherokee is also hosting a tournament just down the road. The boys field in that Cherokee tournament especially has some big guns.
I may try to see a few games there thank you.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
I may try to see a few games there thank you.
The Cherokee boys field has Lincoln Charter, Bishop McGuinness, Cherokee, 7-1 Avery, undefeated 4A Richmond Sr, and Franklin...all good teams. Also lists Moravian Prep—I’m assuming that’s the regional team and not the national team. Still should be very good.

Swain tournament I am guessing Heritage rolls on the girls side (with closest game being Smoky), and Hayesville-Heritage winner plays Swain for the title on boys side.

The Cherokee boys field has Lincoln Charter, Bishop McGuinness, Cherokee, 7-1 Avery, undefeated 4A Richmond Sr, and Franklin...all good teams. Also lists Moravian Prep—I’m assuming that’s the regional team and not the national team. Still should be very good.

Swain tournament I am guessing Heritage rolls on the girls side (with closest game being Smoky), and Hayesville-Heritage winner plays Swain for the title on boys side.
I’m pretty well just interested in the girls side but I’d like to see Cherokee and Bishop girls play as well if I can juggle those games with my work schedule:

Last edited:
It’s the team with the Ellis bros (Moravian Prep)…
The John Wall Invitational in Raleigh has Moravian Prep on the bracket the same days and is promoting it by saying Eli Ellis will be there. Moravian Prep has like 4 teams. Moravian Prep National is the one with Eli Ellis, but to be honest, it wouldn't be that much fun to watch them beat everyone by 50 in the Cherokee tournament. They've got another team called Moravian Prep Regional that is still full of guys that would be really good players at their regular high schools.

Last edited:
I don't think Cherokee has ever won there own Christmas tourney boys or girls(maybe once) they always bring in some pretty good teams

A great first-round match-up between Richmond vs Lincoln Charter game starts at 5 PM. Richmond is undefeated and Lincoln Charter comes in at 7-3 vs. some nationally-ranked teams. Should be an entertaining game to watch as both teams are super athletic. Cherokee vs. Avery at 8 PM will be a really good game as well. The earlier games are North Buncombe vs. Franklin at 11 am. I'm eager to see Franklin play as I heard they are good this year. Bishop M vs. Moravian Prep Regional at 2 PM. Keep an eye on the game as Moravian Prep Reg. team is solid but not anything like the National team. But wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of the "Post Grad" or national guys on the team as well. Should be a good 3 days of solid basketball

Hayesville/Heritage winner plays Swain in round 2.

Looks like we won't be able to watch Murphy and Robbinsville until the games in Robbinsville. Just like the first football game. Geez

Robbinsville have a off night or murphy just play that well?
Ribbinsville led by 5 at the half. Murphy outscored them by 10 I believe in the 3rd. Led by 14 with 140 left in the game. Robbinsville hit some big shots with less than a minute to go. To bring it back to within 6. Key to the game in my opinion was martin from Murphy's defense on Trammell. Rogers got got in the second half for Murphy as well

Ribbinsville led by 5 at the half. Murphy outscored them by 10 I believe in the 3rd. Led by 14 with 140 left in the game. Robbinsville hit some big shots with less than a minute to go. To bring it back to within 6. Key to the game in my opinion was martin from Murphy's defense on Trammell. Rogers got got in the second half for Murphy as well
Sounds like it was a good game to watch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT