ADVERTISEMENT

New head football coach at Richmond

According to all the media outlets I've read nobody wants to coach or move their families to Richmond county because the economy is bad,coaching job is too stressful..fans are ignorant,no entertainment..global warming? WTH ?

I just had a Richmond alum tell me that if everyone knew it would be so hard to get a credible football coach that most of the Richmond boosters would have treated Hoggard better. I think this is a very accurate statement.

Reactions: araiderfan
It's not like these coaches are strangers to each other. At lot of the vocal Richmond fans on these boards have done nothing but belittle coach Hoggard and his staff. Among their peers Hoggard and his staff were considered among the best in the state so maybe the money available at Richmond isn't enough for what comes with it...

Richmond should get a solid coach, but will the fan base treat the new coach with class? I think that's the $64,000 question. The trolls within your program that have trashed Coach Hoggard should be ashamed of their actions. Whenever I hear someone state that they are happy that Hoggard left or that he doesn't know how to coach, I realize that someone either has no class or doesn't know what they are talking about.

Reactions: araiderfan
I do not think coaches care what is on the message boards but when people start going after the family especially the non player family members it is a problem.

You have to remember that Richmond Senior is Richmond County. The main focus of the county is the Raiders. There are no other schools in the county to take the focus away and regardless of where you go it is Raider football. That and the expectations that came with the success of the late 1980's and 1990's title teams make it even tougher.

I think a coach wants to go somewhere that the game is important but they do not want their family caught up in the tornado. Sure, they will all take it when they are winning but when things start to go down hill it makes it tough.

Barnes will tell you it was not too nice after the 2000 season.

I do not think coaches care what is on the message boards but when people start going after the family especially the non player family members it is a problem.

You have to remember that Richmond Senior is Richmond County. The main focus of the county is the Raiders. There are no other schools in the county to take the focus away and regardless of where you go it is Raider football. That and the expectations that came with the success of the late 1980's and 1990's title teams make it even tougher.

I think a coach wants to go somewhere that the game is important but they do not want their family caught up in the tornado. Sure, they will all take it when they are winning but when things start to go down hill it makes it tough.

Barnes will tell you it was not too nice after the 2000 season.

Unfortunately that is a part of coaching spoiled people all around in today's society. If I remember correctly Coach Knotts had some severe run ins with fans and players parents at Indy. You all are focusing and looking for the negatives and that's understandable but there are more positives than you all are speaking on.

Many more people were/are positive towards Coach Hoggard and family. There was lots of support for them and I think many hope he does great going forward. That doesn't get posted on message boards though.

Of course if you're looking for the negative which a large portion of the trolls on this site are doing, you can find that cause the negative people will be loudest. There are plenty of people like that at the schools and programs you follow. Maybe not on the same scale because you and everyone else knows that Richmond is on such a big platform (Obvious from all the attention given here and elsewhere over this coaching search) and it appears more people from outside Richmond are posting and looking on here than there are from Richmond.

Just for comparison, I personally know two teachers who were hired in the county basically on the spot. No formal interview, no time for a real background check. On. The. Spot.

There is no way you can convince me, even factoring in the money issue, that a football coach is more important than a teacher, unless that coach also teaches. If you think differently, you really need to reevaluate your priorities.

Can Richmond just do the eeny meeny miny moe type deal and pick a coach without a background check, but rated as a child molester or maybe a druggy or maybe a heavy foot driver or maybe a peep peak tommy boy or maybe only a high school diploma...............On. The. Spot.

Just hiring him. No background check required. not even the ground he stands or walks on.

As if !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even as a teenager traveling to the beach, I've always carried a special place in my heart for Richmond, Scotland, Robeson, and Moore counties, never having resided there, but since we always stopped in one slash all the above mentioned counties for more backseat refreshments, restroom facility usage, maybe three more dollars worth of gasoline, a few Moon Pies and an RC Cola, the Sandhills Region of North Carolina has a special meaning to my individualized heart, and in my opinion , all North Carolina residents should share this epiphany, or at least consider the considerations before you hit the Back To The Top Button. Its like Are Good said about the geographic advantages of the four counties Imma talkin' about, the easy access to the beautiful North Carolina beaches, the close proximity to the fancy Golfing Fields of Pinehurst, the breath taking beauty of the Pee Dee River, the stunningness of the Lumber River, the cascading bluffs that overlook historic downtown Rockingham and Hamlet , all the while the fragrant fragrantness of the long slash short leaf pine trees, the ultra rare Rose of Cimarron plant, the skantily dressed maidens that stroll around Pinehurst as they say thangs such as, " How's my slice lookin', Sir , " and other statements, " Did I shoot that birdie, " and similar statements as, " The golf cart has a flat tar, please beckon the tar changin' man on your cellular phone slash picture camera . " One of these days,and I'll say the over slash under is 20 years, you can mark it down that Richmond County and surrounding area will be internationally known as " The French Riviera Of The South. "

GSO, In a prior life I worked for Tim Schmidt to some extent. 20 years ago this month. Genuine good guy.

That must have been during The Eagles, " Hell Freezes Over " era, Mister Tango. Speaking of hell freezin' over, if Imma lookin' for a coach, hell would freeze over before I did not call Roy K of South Cakalackey. Do you think Mister K. would be interested in said gig ?

No idea if Roy Kirby is interested or put in an application. His offenses were not the wide open kind that seem to be en vogue right now.

Correct on the tour. It was this time that they were doing the make up dates from Frey's stomach ailments.

I don't think Beam got cold feet, I think there was a hiccup so he could not accept the JOB.....But good luck to coach Beam and I hope we get an awesome Coach so I can start back attending games. I mean a coach like D. Barnes, Bobby Poss, T. Knotts, H. Stewart, and etc.

You are right...Beam didn't have cold feet. The hiccup was serious enough that Beam couldn't in good conscience accept that position....and I don't blame em' one bit.

I like King because he's a great coach that cares about his athletes and believes in winning the right way.

King is more of a spread attack that stretches you horizontally and flowers is more of a vertical passing attack, if I am not mistaken.

Flowers is known as the Qb whisper for his knack of turning out top notch qbs.

King has the best record of anyone that applied and has a state title

Don't get to excited boys. I've read where one of those guys isn't even certified.

And it's Offense, not Offence. Dont sound like those run it up the middle guys. When people say that I automatically know their football knowledge is very limited.

Certification is just taking a test and the rc coach doesn't even teach anyway. If they require him to be a certified teacher I don't know why. Must be a state requirement. They gave been certified before they can be certified again. Nothing to it.

How many applied?
When was the first slice?
How many got sliced?
How many more slices are there?
How much dimes are they asking for?
Any college experience in any of the said Coach'es?

What date will the Richmond Idol be selected?

Getting certified isn't as easy as you think. If it was, a lot of people on here would be involved in education.

And for all we know, the committee may be asking for the head coach to teach classes like 99.9% of the other high schools in NC.

If he has to teach he will be the first one ever at rc and he was certified before (that means he has passed it before) and if hired he will pass it again.

Someone either lied to you or well ........

Boyd is not certified in North Carolina either since well you know he teaches in sc.

But Boyd is well ......

When certified in NC or SC it is fairly simple to roll it over. If not certified it can take some time. There have been some coaches that did not get certified and were let go after playing in state tite games and regional finals.

Reactions: Earnhardt Forever
But would you say if certified before you could get certified again tango?

I think you know what is happening with that.

Don't know what certification you are talking about but the PE certification is one of the hardest to get. A weightlifting coach would be required to have a PE certification. It is apparent that some of the people on here don't know much about the certification process. The PE exam does not have only questions about the different sports, It also has questions about anatomy ect. A few years back Richmond lost a very good Basketball coach because he could not pass the PE exam after taking it three times. I am happy to say that he did later pass the exam and the last time I heard he is still coaching. The certification exams are all very difficult and a lot of people cannot pass them. You can get a provisional certification until you can pass the exam. I just don't think Richmond would want to take that chance and maybe lose a coach after one year. Can you imagine what would be said on here if a Coach had to leave after one season. The school would not be able to say why he left. It would be a personal reason and could not be commented on by the school. Rumors would fly.
Weight lifting seems simple but if you do not teach the kids the proper techniques they could seriously injury themselves or someone else.

I'm starting to think the New superintendent should've kept her nose out of the interview process. I mean there is more people on the committee to select a football coach than there was to select her.

If your 1st choice turned you down Sat. Morning you should've contacted your 2nd choice Sat. Afternoon. There's no reason you couldn't have gotten a Head Coach in place by the School board meeting even if it was 4th or 5th choice. Obviously poor planning and organization by the New superintendent and the committee.

It's time for Spring practice and they are dragging their feet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT