ADVERTISEMENT

New head football coach at Richmond

LOLOL

Using Hokie's logic, Robbinsville, Wallace-Rose Hill, Shelby, Northern Guilford, and East Lincoln must suck because they have never won a 4A championship game.

This is the big boy football board. Please visit the appropriate small ball boards if you're expecting anyone to think any of those teams you mentioned are football royalty in this state, because they are not.

This is the big boy football board. Please visit the appropriate small ball boards if you're expecting anyone to think any of those teams you mentioned are football royalty in this state, because they are not.

LOLOL!!! How witty you are!

Richmond is merely fighting for 2nd place in the Southeastern Conference. In fact, Richmond has abdicated their Southeastern Conference crown to Scotland several years ago. Before too long Metzger will finally move Pinecrest ahead of the Rockingham program.

People are knocking Beam but look at what the schools he was at did the few years before he arrived. He turned those programs around.

North Lincoln has never had a winning season in 12 years except for the ones with Beam. The school opened two years before he arrived.

If I am not mistaken both Newton Conover and Burns won one game the year before he arrived.

I am a Flowers supporter but he moved more than Beam and he has not made the turn around Beam has. The positive on Flowers is the competition he has played against, his college coaching, and the quarterbacks he has worked with on his teams and in private instruction. Very impressive on the QBs.

King has a great track record in 4A football. Kudos to his success. He is great with the kids also.

Beam is the son of a coach and is well polished. Many think he has a state title contender at N-C this coming season. He is leaving that to come to Richmond and I expect a fairly tough season for the Raiders this year regardless of who the coach is.

Reactions: Earnhardt Forever
I hate the spread, but if he stays away from running of the middle every play then i will accept him!

Dcov33,
Cant quiet clear my mind to think or remember if you and I have discussed this already, but I will ask again. When was the last transaction the Booster Club illegally planned, offered and officially payed Richmond players for every huge play they made sir?

A. 2014
B. 2008
C. 2010
D. 2012
E. C and D
F. All of the above and everything in between

Last edited:
Dcov33,
Cant quiet clear my mind to think or remember if you and I have discussed this already, but I will ask again. When was the last transaction the Booster Club illegally planned, offered and officially payed Richmond players for every huge play they made sir?

A. 2014
B. 2008
C. 2010
D. 2012
E. C and D

I LOVE THIS BEAT DOWN
I see you all still crying after that correct call!

All this talk about Richmond and the coaching job is gonna drive "swett2victory" insane! He may have to go to the nervous hospital ! Probably eating his own boogers as I type this.. More to come!

All this talk about Richmond and the coaching job is gonna drive "swett2victory" insane! He may have to go to the nervous hospital ! Probably eating his own boogers as I type this.. More to come!
Mr. Fun N Gun sir, Mr Dcov Dirty3, has not answered my Ultimate Hollywood Ignoring Button Question..

Dcov33,

A. 2014
B. 2008
C. 2010
D. 2012
E. C and D

Good grief. All the trolls on this board is the reason it's gone soooo downhill over the years. I understand that high school football naturally will have a number of immature followers based on the age group but many of the trolls around here should be old enough to know better. Thank goodness there are other sites who at least keep things on topic.

As to the hire, I imagine they'll have an official decision soon. The job has been vacant over a month and Spring practice is coming soon.

I see a trip to the insane asylum in your future S2V. Maybe you can get some shock treatment or some good happy pills to cure your condition called "Raider Envy"! You might try some yellow root from Robeson county to cure your nervous condition. I know you know what yellow root is!

Rocky Balboa,
Sir, I to this day cant believe I am still here trolling with the trolls. Trust me, it is a hard knock life for us. I understand where you're coming from because I have been in your birthday suit. I believe this is why we dont see enough of Kountletgo anymore. He has retired from trolling with the troll competitors.

He is never forgoten and neither will you Mr Rocky Balboa

Oh and I enjoy "The Good Grief" verse sir...to myself and many that is the ultimate shutdown line next to today's total collateral damage invention and that is "The Hollywood Ignoring Button"

Thank you for your honest and deepest concern as I continue to spread the true and honest word of all trolls

Last edited:
I see a trip to the insane asylum in your future S2V. Maybe you can get some shock treatment or some good happy pills to cure your condition called "Raider Envy"! You might try some yellow root from Robeson county to cure your nervous condition. I know you know what yellow root is!
Fun N Gun, I couldnt agree with you any better or clear'r. I am either IN, OUT SANE or INSANE. Is you atrying to compare me to Slim Shady or Duran Duran or Lady Gaga or Weird Al Yankovic if you want to get any respect out of me please say I look like Bruno or Enrique Iglesias

@btango how do you turn around a 12-2 season?
FUN n GUN he might of activated that certain thang....lets try again

@ Dcov dirty3

Dcov33,

A. 2014
B. 2008
C. 2010
D. 2012
E. C and D

13-1, 14/15/16 wins?

It will take a while to unlearn the triple option and a lot of skilled position players will have to learn how to do more than just block now.

Ellerbe could have a big year at wide receiver now and a lot of those back up running backs that usually watch from the side lines should see the field more.

It will be interesting to see what he can bring with him on the defensive side of the ball. That will determine if he will be a success or not.

In 2008 I asked everyone to give the new system time as the raiders learned the passing game and it worked out pretty good but only for one year as the raiders went back to the ground and pound. The raiders will have to toss the ball around a lot early in the season even when they have a lead to get comfortable with the system and that will rub some the wrong way and they will want to go back to what is familiar.

A new day is dawning Raiders!

13-1, 14/15/16 wins?

It will take a while to unlearn the triple option and a lot of skilled position players will have to learn how to do more than just block now.

Ellerbe could have a big year at wide receiver now and a lot of those back up running backs that usually watch from the side lines should see the field more.

It will be interesting to see what he can bring with him on the defensive side of the ball. That will determine if he will be a success or not.

In 2008 I asked everyone to give the new system time as the raiders learned the passing game and it worked out pretty good but only for one year as the raiders went back to the ground and pound. The raiders will have to toss the ball around a lot early in the season even when they have a lead to get comfortable with the system and that will rub some the wrong way and they will want to go back to what is familiar.

A new day is dawning Raiders!
I hope all of you win every game and and no less than the championship get what you wish for. Just remember that in the past we hired a coach that won a State Championship at the school he was at before coming to Richmond. He was a great guy and I still consider him a friend. He was a very good coach just could not get above 7 or 8 wins in a season. Then there was the guy that was a head coach at a small college. In fact at the time he was said to be the youngest college coach in the college ranks. He also had a problem winning at Richmond. He left Richmond for a school west of Charlotte with the same name as his. Once again a good person who just did not fit in at Richmond.
I hope that the new guy will fit in with the kids and continue the Richmond tradition of being a winner. However past records, experience ect. means nothing if the Coach can't get the kids to buy into his program and trust him. Many of our fans undermine the trust of a coach and the kids start to lose trust in his decision making. When this happens the program goes downhill. I just hope the Hoggard supporters and the Hoggard haters can get together and support the new coach. If not the new coach will not be here very long.

Last edited:
Daryl Barnes won 5 of Richmond's 7 state championships. Coach Barnes only coached Richmond for 8 years too, which shows that he was an amazing head coach for Richmond. Hal Stewart won a state championship with Richmond in 1978 and then left for greener pastures. Coach Hoggard is the only other coach that won a state championship for Richmond.

My point is that Richmond's glorious history should be attributed mostly to Coach Barnes. If it wasn't for Barnes, would Richmond actually have 7 state championships? Had Hal Stewart, who was an excellent football coach, lead Richmond to further greatness instead of heartache in the playoffs the next 9 years?

Those of ya'll who criticize Coach Hoggard do so because he didn't produce championships as Coach Barnes. News flash! Few do. In terms of winning %, Coach Hoggard has the third highest winning % of any coach in Richmond history. Only Barnes and Coach Ed Emory had higher winning percentages than Coach Hoggard. If memory serves me correctly, Richmond was always heading into the playoffs with an undefeated record under Emory and every year, the Raiders would spit the bit in the playoffs.

Should coach Beam be tapped, I hope everyone can study history because some of you will be doomed to repeat it. Go ahead and put your microscopes away and just let him or whomever coach.

Daryl Barnes won 5 of Richmond's 7 state championships. Coach Barnes only coached Richmond for 8 years too, which shows that he was an amazing head coach for Richmond. Hal Stewart won a state championship with Richmond in 1978 and then left for greener pastures. Coach Hoggard is the only other coach that won a state championship for Richmond.

My point is that Richmond's glorious history should be attributed mostly to Coach Barnes. If it wasn't for Barnes, would Richmond actually have 7 state championships? Had Hal Stewart, who was an excellent football coach, lead Richmond to further greatness instead of heartache in the playoffs the next 9 years?

Those of ya'll who criticize Coach Hoggard do so because he didn't produce championships as Coach Barnes. News flash! Few do. In terms of winning %, Coach Hoggard has the third highest winning % of any coach in Richmond history. Only Barnes and Coach Ed Emory had higher winning percentages than Coach Hoggard. If memory serves me correctly, Richmond was always heading into the playoffs with an undefeated record under Emory and every year, the Raiders would spit the bit in the playoffs.

Should coach Beam be tapped, I hope everyone can study history because some of you will be doomed to repeat it. Go ahead and put your microscopes away and just let him or whomever coach.
Some of the same things that have been said about Coach Hoggard were said about Coach Barnes. Only runs up the middle, no passing game, needs to change from the I formation, needs to play more players both ways( Daryl would only play a player both ways out of necessity it allowed him to keep fresh players in the game and gave him a lot of late game wins) ect. After the first loss to Independence some fans accused him of throwing the game because he had reservations for a out of state hunting trip that could not be changed. I think this played a big part in Coach Barnes leaving. Tom Knotts said that Coach Barnes was an influence on his Coaching. I have great respect for all of the Coaches that have worked at Richmond. At that time I think the fact that Richmond would not allow a coach to be athletic director also played a part in him leaving Richmond. As of last year for the first time in school history a coach was allowed to become the AD. The baseball coach is now the AD. I was also told that after leaving he would have liked to come back for a second time. It is my understanding that his wife loved Richmond. I know that his wife came to a lot of Richmond games after they left. Daryl was a great person and Coach.

Reactions: Earnhardt Forever

I was using that to show what he has accomplished. I have been told by many, and from the comments on this site and others, many think Richmond had an unsuccessful season the last few years. I disagree.

Beam may not be the right choice if he even is the selection but just letting people know the guy has did a very good job at his three heading coach stops.

@AREGOOD I remember that is why Daryl left I also heard he was one of the coaches that applied for the job can you confirm that please. Hey Mr. Earnhardt if Daryl would have stayed there from 1987-present I promise you he would have had at least 5 or 6 more titles under his belt.

Reactions: RAIDERS2014
@AREGOOD I remember that is why Daryl left I also heard he was one of the coaches that applied for the job can you confirm that please. Hey Mr. Earnhardt if Daryl would have stayed there from 1987-present I promise you he would have had at least 5 or 6 more titles under his belt.
Dcovdirty3,
Please rethirst my memory sir. What year did your little cousin/nephew graduate from Richmond High School/Football team

Hey swett2victory man we are talking about football! You are really side tracking me for the task at hand right now buddy, be easy killer.........

1991, 1996, 2003,2007, 2009, 2014. This past year was a down year for 4AA football and Mallard Crk. won the title with a very young team; they are going to be scary good the next 2 seasons.....2001 would have been a DAWG FIGHT, D. Barnes defenses don't give up many points other than that 1999 Independence game...........................

Hey swett2victory man we are talking about football! You are really side tracking me for the task at hand right now buddy, be easy killer.....
Dcovdirty3,
Please rethirst my memory sir. What year did your little cousin/nephew graduate from Richmond High School/Football team ....
Just as I suspected. Just like Mayweather...going back to the basics to chop wood because there's a trap up ahead..

What's not football about that?
Answer the question so everyone can see the light

He did not win in 1999 and 2000 so between 2001 and 2014 they need to win 5 or 6. Extremely doubtful.

Word around the street is that newton conover coach will get the job!!! on carolina preps his coaching position says N/A After it said he was the head coach at newton conover!! We shall see

Sorry but that's not the case, Matt Beam is still listed as the head coach for Newton-Conover.

How can you promise that this would happen when he left the program after the 2000 season? You are "speculating" that would happen. You might be right, although I highly doubt it. Charlotte Mecklenburg really blossomed around 2000 and has been the dominant force in 4A ever since. I'd "speculate" that a team from Charlotte Mecklenburg will win the 4AA championship 8 of the next 10 seasons. Richmond is merely looking for a championship once every 8 or 10 seasons now.

How can you promise that this would happen when he left the program after the 2000 season? You are "speculating" that would happen. You might be right, although I highly doubt it. Charlotte Mecklenburg really blossomed around 2000 and has been the dominant force in 4A ever since. I'd "speculate" that a team from Charlotte Mecklenburg will win the 4AA championship 8 of the next 10 seasons. Richmond is merely looking for a championship once every 8 or 10 seasons now.

You need to look at the Burns highlight tapes....

When that stuff gets to the Raiders the skirts are gonna be toast.

Daryl Barnes did great things, but more than a few teams were putting up big offensive numbers against Richmond his last couple of years. Football has changed at every level. Nobody is gonna be able to hold a good offense below 20 pts on a regular basis like Richmond used to.

If you assume Barnes would have won more titles if he had stayed with Richmond, I think you are really underestimating the teams Richmond has had since then, and more importantly all the great teams that have won state championships over the years.

Barnes would have evolved, he would not have stayed in the 'I' and pounded the ball if he stayed and independence streak would not have been that long.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT