ADVERTISEMENT

New head football coach at Richmond

@AREGOOD I remember that is why Daryl left I also heard he was one of the coaches that applied for the job can you confirm that please. Hey Mr. Earnhardt if Daryl would have stayed there from 1987-present I promise you he would have had at least 5 or 6 more titles under his belt.

I do not know if he did or didn't. I doubt he would as I believe he is retired and would actually lose money returning to coaching in NC I do not know anything about who has applied. I have been retired for 7 years and my Uncle the former AD passed away a couple of years ago. I am related by marriage to one of the committee members, I know one of the members from when he was in high school, and have worked with several others. Out of respect for them and their position I do not ask them about what is going on. As for Daryl I have great respect for what he accomplished at Richmond. So don't take this wrong. I probably could have won a couple of Championships with the talent he had some of those years. I also will tell you I know nothing about coaching especially the way things have changed. I remember Korn Robinson (not sure that is spelled right) told someone that the reason he moved to Belmont to play was because he did not think he was good enough to get much playing time at Richmond. The last thing about Coach Barns is that he was great at moving players to different positions. He would take a kid that had no idea that he could be a defensive back and turn him into a starter. He did this a lot at Richmond. The man knew how to get the best out of his kids and could convince them that he was right moving them to a different position.

Reactions: Heel yes
Those last two sentences is what RC has missed the most. He did a lot of that moving to get the best athletes on the field at the same time.

Man you guys better go look at Daryl Barnes track record while at Richmond; he just don't lose to anyone or any coach! He loss games to Hal Stewart, Bobby Poss, Tommy Knott's, and 1 fluke game to Sweet 2 Victory beloved P.S. Rams....Those are hall of fame coaches in the state of N.C.

Dcov dirty3,
Youre just like mayweather

REPORTER: Mr. Mayweather why do you think you should be fighting after serving time and all the Domestic Violence record you have.

MAYWEATHER: Bob, I just want the fans to tune in Saturday, May 2nd to watch the best fight in history.

On a side note Congrats to D.J. Humphries of Mallard Creek and Stephone Anthony of Anson Co.1st round draft picks...........................................make the state of N.C. proud!!!!!!!!!

Those last two sentences is what RC has missed the most. He did a lot of that moving to get the best athletes on the field at the same time.
Hill yes he did but he did not play a lot of players both ways. Most of the time when he did it was because of injuries and he had too.

Please talk about the subject line: Richmond Head Coaching position. Leave all personal stuff out of posts!!

Reactions: RAIDERS2014
I think one BIG problem in getting a coach is having EIGHT people on the selection committee...In my opinion that is just way to many...I believe in the past the AD and Principal have made the decision , then the Supt approved it , then the school board approved it......Maybe I'm wrong about it, I don't know.....Can someone please explain ....We've never had this problem before in our search for a head coach..., and we always come up with a pretty good coach in most cases..WHY THE CHANGE IN THE WAY IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN SELECTED....nuff said...

I think one BIG problem in getting a coach is having EIGHT people on the selection committee...In my opinion that is just way to many...I believe in the past the AD and Principal have made the decision , then the Supt approved it , then the school board approved it......Maybe I'm wrong about it, I don't know.....Can someone please explain ....We've never had this problem before in our search for a head coach..., and we always come up with a pretty good coach in most cases..WHY THE CHANGE IN THE WAY IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN SELECTED....nuff said...[/QUOTE)

Somebody thought they were supposed to be involved with a bunch of others, so no one cried favoritism, racism, or any other ....ism word. Had to make a splash. Got to look strong and powerful. And it probably slowed down the process. BUT in reality, No one should argue when it's all said and done.

Just because it is a selection committee does not mean the whole committee is making the decision. They may all be giving their input and ideas but at the end of the day I think this is a decision that is more in the hands of the superintendent followed by the principal. I think the committee approach is good. If you have a superintendent that is former coach/sports administrator I think they would have probably pulled the principal and AD in with a "set up the interviews for us three and I will let you tell me what you think before I decide" mentality.

The fact that a county which struggles mightily in education happens to be putting this much effort in selecting a football coach is embarrassing.

A HS Football coach hiring should not be front page news, and it should be way down on the list of priorities of everyone outside of the AD.

Reactions: Earnhardt Forever
Just for comparison, I personally know two teachers who were hired in the county basically on the spot. No formal interview, no time for a real background check. On. The. Spot.

There is no way you can convince me, even factoring in the money issue, that a football coach is more important than a teacher, unless that coach also teaches. If you think differently, you really need to reevaluate your priorities.

I think this also shows that you can't buy a coach without showing some levels of civility. I do wonder why Beam rejected this offer. Maybe it was because he thinks Newton Conover is a better place to coach, or maybe it's because Rockingham is just not a place to raise a family. It could be that his wife saw Rockingham and just said "no way".

I think this rejection says more about Richmond than it does about Beam. I wonder if they will eat some humble pie and propose to Coach Flowers.

I think its unfair to whomever we do hire to say Beam or anyone else turned it down first when nobody is sure that is what happened. Why waste time interviewing if you really don't want the job?

I think its unfair to whomever we do hire to say Beam or anyone else turned it down first when nobody is sure that is what happened. Why waste time interviewing if you really don't want the job?

Maybe, just maybe, he was interested in the job and then realized it wasn't a good fit. When an individual interviews with a school, it's a two-way street. Can the coach get along with the administration? Is the fan base supportive? Do I like the community?

A coach interviews the employer as much as the employer interviews the coach. Beam looked at it, was offered the job, and then said "Thanks, but no thanks".

Reactions: Steelers71
If you want the true scoop about Richmond, follow Shawn Stinson with the Richmond Daily Journal. He's the sports editor and a very good one at that. I expect a story about the Keystone Cops debacle to be in the newspapers in the next two or three days.

First of all I don't think anyone knows for sure. (other than the committee) if Coach B was offered the job. Even if they might have talked with him about taking the job, they may have not been able to agree on all of the details.There are a lot of things to consider such as to how many assistants he can bring, what teaching positions are available for assistants. As for the big committee, I am sure the main people who will make the decision is the AD and the Principal. Richmond in hiring the last several Coaches had a committee. The number of people on the committee has varied from 5 to 8 members. In all of the earlier hires it came down to the AD and the Principal with the Superintendent's approval. The other committee members mainly give input and help narrow the list of applicants to around 4 or 5. Most new coaches would not be released to take the position until school is out. So the new coach probably could not start until early June anyway. Also he could not start until the board approved. Yes they could have an emergency meeting and make the approval. However someone on here would complain about that. By the way Richmond is a great place to live. Few traffic problems, Two hours away from most of the large cities in North or South Carolina,Two hours to the Beaches, Three hours to the mountains. 30 min from the best golf courses in the south. A thirty min. drive to almost any restaurant you would want to go to. Some of the large cities in the state it takes at least 30 min go get anywhere. What we need is for some one to bring some more jobs to the area, which will bring more people. Wait a minute if that happened, we would lose our small rural town great place to live. This small town atmosphere is what makes the Richmond Football program so great. Oh well can't have everything.

Well, there is a leak or two on the committee. Loose lips sink ships...ya'll know what I mean.

Follow Stinson on Twitter. Read his columns. He's a good guy and some of the members of the committee aren't happy with each other. Kind of shows why a coach may be receiving mixed signals.

A lot goes into deciding to move your family for a job. And like Earnhardt said you are interviewing them as much if not more than they interview you. Is the support to win good? Is the community supportive of the football program? Does the administration have the same view of the program as you? How many assistants will you have on campus? How is the feeder program? Do you have control over what systems they run? All of this not to even scratch the surface of is this a good fit for your family?! That is what it all comes down to. Is there a good job for my wife? Because Rockingham isn't exactly thriving! Are there good schools for my kids to live? Can we find a nice house in a nice area to live? Ya'll are crazy if you think this is all about football. Pay him 100k like SC, GA, and AL and then lots of these issues go away!

A lot goes into deciding to move your family for a job. And like Earnhardt said you are interviewing them as much if not more than they interview you. Is the support to win good? Is the community supportive of the football program? Does the administration have the same view of the program as you? How many assistants will you have on campus? How is the feeder program? Do you have control over what systems they run? All of this not to even scratch the surface of is this a good fit for your family?! That is what it all comes down to. Is there a good job for my wife? Because Rockingham isn't exactly thriving! Are there good schools for my kids to live? Can we find a nice house in a nice area to live? Ya'll are crazy if you think this is all about football. Pay him 100k like SC, GA, and AL and then lots of these issues go away!

I couldn't have stated this any better. The comments about Richmond being two hours from the beach, three hours from the mountains, 30 minutes to the golf courses somewhat omits that Rockingham itself isn't thriving at all. I lived about 10 minutes north of "the Rock", and very few times did I venture down to Rockingham. Instead, I'd drive up to Southern Pines/Pinehurst because it had about everything that I wanted or needed. With Pinecrest's football team, the football is almost on the same level as Richmond, so that somewhat shows you something.

Turning around a program that went 11-2 is a daunting task for the first thing. If the coaches family attends games and the Raiders don't win by four or five touchdowns it can be a miserable experience for them for the second thing. You cannot consider a coach hired until the contract is signed and the deal is done up until then he has the right to walk away. The interview and the offer are two separate things just because you interview doesn't mean you will accept the offer. Richmond needs to lure a coach from far far away that knows of the Raiders but that has never attended a game here or has ever read or knows anyone that has read the 4A/AA message boards.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT