ADVERTISEMENT

New head football coach at Richmond

Everyone writes off Matt Beam but what he did at Burns was very impressive. Tough to go against Shelby and Crest in Cleveland County and to keep the players from "floating" over to those rival schools. He did it by putting big numbers up and took a team that had been down for several years including a one year coach with one win before he took over. Had four big seasons after improving to 6-7 his first year.

When we wake up one morning to the announcement that Beam is hired, make sure you have the crying towels out for everyone. Flowers will not be tapped...I guarantee it.

Going into this process, I thought that selecting Flowers would be a no-brainer. However, the campaigning for Flowers while slamming Hoggard hasn't been unnoticed in Rockingham. Many of Flowers' biggest supporters have unwittingly allowed Beam and King to become the top two candidates for this job.

When supporting a candidate, make sure you show some class.

You guys ran coach off. Him moving close to his family was probably about 15% of why he left the program. The other 85% was because of the delusional fans that believe Richmond should have been winning more State Championship during his tenure.

You guys ran coach off. Him moving close to his family was probably about 15% of why he left the program. The other 85% was because of the delusional fans that believe Richmond should have been winning more State Championship during his tenure.

It's more like 100%. Leaving Richmond where he was never appreciated for being the next Coach Barnes was merely a bonus.

He left because he QUIT!!!!!

I would like to make some quick comments. I think I read in the paper that Dr. Goodman is looking for an excellent teacher as well as a head football coach! I know Daryl Barnes 2nd go around he did not teach a class, can anyone verify if Ed Emory or Paul Hoggard taught any classes.

I will say this if any of the panel is reading this message Let's get the right guy for the job and not the person we would like to be the next coach for our beloved "Mighty Raiders".

This is for the true DIE HARD Richmond Raiders.....

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...4YHwAg&usg=AFQjCNHk2ScIZINE5hJDs5y6B7d4dwvq0A

Head coach at RC doesn't teach a class , at most they sit in the weight room during weight training to supervise the varsity.

This is not a bad thing it is how it should be.

Why would coach beam leave N-C? He could have went to crest which is a Cleveland county school. Making the move to Richmond Senior would not make sense.

I agree trooper0080. Crest would have made much more sense than going to Richmond. Crest has an established championship caliber team and fan base while Richmond is fighting with Pinecrest for 2nd place in the Southeastern Conference.

Why would coach beam leave N-C? He could have went to crest which is a Cleveland county school. Making the move to Richmond Senior would not make sense.

He wasn't coming to Crest boss. We play defense at Crest. He was never considered for the Crest job

I agree trooper0080. Crest would have made much more sense than going to Richmond. Crest has an established championship caliber team and fan base while Richmond is fighting with Pinecrest for 2nd place in the Southeastern Conference.

Crest - two 4A state titles
Richmond - seven 4A state titles

Sometimes I am simply staggered by the pure ignorance shown by ANYONE from Cleveland County. All of you combined lack the collective football IQ of a turnip.

Reactions: blackjackwally
He wasn't coming to Crest boss. We play defense at Crest. He was never considered for the Crest

J
job[/QU
I wonder who the players would want to be their coach from all of the canidates and all the talk around town about each of them..I know they don't have a say so but it would really be interesting to see how they felt about the different coaches and who they think could lead them everyday as a true leader...I really think that is a Big part of coaching ...Getting players To Want To Play Hard For You.......n
OTE]I I also wander who the present staff would like to see as the next head coach..[/QUOTE......nuff said.....

Last edited:

Sometimes I am simply staggered by the pure ignorance shown by ANYONE from Cleveland County. All of you combined lack the collective football IQ of a turnip.

I think you need to be truthful with your statistic. Comparing the number of 4A titles between Crest and Richmond is comparing apples to oranges. Richmond has been a 4A school since 1973 without exception. Crest, however, was only a 4A school for 16 years (1985-2000). So you are comparing the number of 4A championships between a school that has been a 4A school for 42 years to a school that has been a 4A school for only 16 years of its history? Good try, but a poor comparison.

Crest has 5 state championships since it has opened its doors. Since 1994, Crest has won 5 state championships while Richmond has won only three during the same time span.

The bigger questions are who would have won between the two schools last year had they played and who would win if both schools played this year? Who would win in two years? Three years?

Answers: All Crest.

@ Earnhardt Forever Richmond on the field are 2-0 vs Crest!

Matt Beam coaching record is 88-41, so he wins half of his games..........His teams offense avg 30.14 and def. gives up around 19.51! Flowers Record is actually not good.

King is like 63-16! This maybe our guy.....

Where is Coach HOGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
dcov33, you are correct. Richmond beat Crest twice in the playoffs, I think it was 1997 and 1999. Richmond topped Crest by a point in 1999 in a shoot out and beat Crest in 1997 by a fairly close score, something like 16-12.

BTW, that was 16 years ago.

Last edited:
Right, Richmond was 3A at one time. That was in 1972, their first year as a school and the only year they played 3A ball.

Good try.

Dcov33,
Cant quiet clear my mind to think or remember if you and I have discussed this already, but I will ask again. When was the last transaction the Booster Club illegally planned, offered and officially payed Richmond players for every huge play they made sir?

A. 2014
B. 2008
C. 2010
D. 2012
E. C and D
F. All of the above and everything in between

Well I may be ignorant, but your lack of a spine has always confounded me. You're a joke. I've told you many times, and you never disappoint. You are absolutely the most spineless prick on these boards. I think you should just jump back in the corner and get back to chewing on your toenails.

In 2015 - Nobody wanted any part of Crest 1A - 4A. Ask Jim Bob...... He told you already. " That's the best team we've ever played" The exact words from a coach who could piss on anything you've ever accomplished regarding football.

Lastly, Richmond County is the best program over the long haul in this State. Nothing but respect for them. I hope you Raider fans get the right coach. Charlotte blows, just like this clown when he's low on rent money. Here's to County football.

Hokie, I bet you wear skinny jeans and have more toe than a camel, you nasty panty hamster.

Reactions: Earnhardt Forever
e31.jpg

@Heel yes, man you can't be serious………. I thought Richmond really wanted to win! Coach Beam has never won a BIG TIME GAME! Look at COLLEGE for example, Alabama-Coach Saban, Michigan-Coach Harbough, Ohio State-Coach Myers. "Big Time programs with Big Time Coaches".
COACH Beam, man I never heard of this guy….. SWEET to Victory I will choose the Alphabet F for $250 please………..

We need a Big Time Coach period…………I think the Coach at Hillside or Flowers should get the job unless it's a name other than BEAM that I am unaware of. Now let's discuss something right fast its 2015 when is Richmond Co. going to step up and Hire an Afro-American coach 95% of the team is Afro-American. I'm not saying the coaches we have had in the past has not done an excellent job but at least give an Afro-American a chance………………………..IF his resume fits the BILL…….

just my 2 cents

2014 Newton-Conover 7-4 1 0.625 4 3 0 0.571 373 345 2 31.08 28.75 2.33
2013 Burns 11- 2 0 0.846 7 1 0 0.875 458 232 1 35.23 17.85 17.38
2012 Burns 10- 4 0 0.714 6 0 0 1.000 364 193 3 26.00 13.79 12.21
2011 Burns 13 -2 0 0.867 6 0 0 1.000 555 230 2 37.00 15.33 21.67
2010 Burns 11- 2 0 0.846 6 0 0 1.000 522 248 0 40.15 19.08 21.07
2009 Burns 6 -7 0 0.462 5 1 0 0.833 389 383 0 29.92 29.46 0.46
2008 North Lincoln 7 -5 0 0.583 4 2 0 0.667 288 171 1 24.00 14.25 9.75
2007 North Lincoln 10- 4 0 0.714 4 2 0 0.667 383 201 3 27.36 14.36 13.00
2006 North Lincoln 7-5 0 0.583 3 3 0 0.500 325 228 1 27.08 19.00 8.08
2005 North Lincoln 6- 6 0 0.500 3 3 0 0.500 261 305 1 21.75 25.42 -3.67
Total 88 41 1 0.681 48 15 0 0.762 3918 2536 14 30.14 19.51 10.63

With a 88-41-1 Record he can stay at Newton-Conover

Well I may be ignorant, but your lack of a spine has always confounded me. You're a joke. I've told you many times, and you never disappoint. You are absolutely the most spineless prick on these boards. I think you should just jump back in the corner and get back to chewing on your toenails.

In 2015 - Nobody wanted any part of Crest 1A - 4A. Ask Jim Bob...... He told you already. " That's the best team we've ever played" The exact words from a coach who could piss on anything you've ever accomplished regarding football.

Lastly, Richmond County is the best program over the long haul in this State. Nothing but respect for them. I hope you Raider fans get the right coach. Charlotte blows, just like this clown when he's low on rent money. Here's to County football.

Hokie, I bet you wear skinny jeans and have more toe than a camel, you nasty panty hamster.

LOLOL

Using Hokie's logic, Robbinsville, Wallace-Rose Hill, Shelby, Northern Guilford, and East Lincoln must suck because they have never won a 4A championship game.

I support anyone that puts on the green and gold and everyone starts with a clean slate.

I had my pick but that is all it was, my pick.

Go Raiders!

Jim Bob is the head man of a small 3A finesse team that was physically dominated by a bigger Crest team. Myself and the fans of about 100 other 4A schools have no interest whatsoever in what Jim Bob thinks about what great football is in this state, since he doesn't really know. If Jim Bob ever stood beside the Mallard Creek team while they were getting off the bus, he would pee down his leg and faint.

And there's no way in the world I would've bet money on Crest against Richmond last year. There's a BIG difference between lining up across from Richmond versus lining up across from all those little 2A schools on Crest's schedule. EPIC difference.

Play somebody. Beat somebody. It's a really simple concept that most Crest people don't seem to really comprehend. Congrats on beating the snot out of all those little 2A schools, though. Makes you big men deserving of respect, for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT