ADVERTISEMENT

Mitchell @ Draughn

draughn has been open 15 years. Draughn pulled from EB. Patton was created at the same time and split freedom. Eastern part of burke county ( draughn and East burke) Western part of county (morganton) patton and freedom
Thanks đź‘Ť I had an uncle who raised his family in Morganton he worked for a printing press then after retirement taught at the school for the deaf.

Last edited:
I can tell everybody one thing about Draughn, named after jimmy Draughn who was a principal and Mayor of Valdese, that school and campus is first class! Well laid out and well maintained.

I can tell everybody one thing about Draughn, named after jimmy Draughn who was a principal and Mayor of Valdese, that school and campus is first class! Well laid out and well maintained.
Well I saw who it's named after but not who he was. Like I said I had a hard time googling anything other than how many students etc but not anything about the history.
Patton does have a Wikipedia listing but it doesn't give the history of the school either.

Reactions: RealStihl
Any Draughn, family still exist in the area?

Agree
The video is great. Just a question though. Is that the actual announcer in action or a voice app?

Hype video for sure.
The announcer is from the local radio station it's an expert from their broadcast.
At the Owen game I saw a man with a big camera and at first thought wlos was there but then I thought why this game? Then saw there wasn't a wlos on the camera must be who's ever making these videos.
As far as our home game announcer he is really good great announcer voice and very professional.

The announcer is from the local radio station it's an expert from their broadcast.
At the Owen game I saw a man with a big camera and at first thought wlos was there but then I thought why this game? Then saw there wasn't a wlos on the camera must be who's ever making these videos.
As far as our home game announcer he is really good great announcer voice and very professional.
I enjoy making video of all sorts similar to that one. The only thins is I do not have a drone. Now I am curious about the voice. It is so perfect. No background sound, just the announcer at a professional level. It's too perfect. Sounds like the NFL. Love it

Reactions: RealStihl
I enjoy making video of all sorts similar to that one. The only thins is I do not have a drone. Now I am curious about the voice. It is so perfect. No background sound, just the announcer at a professional level. It's too perfect. Sounds like the NFL. Love it
That's exactly how he sounds they may have made it even more clear in editing like you say cleaned out any background noise.
You can go online tonight on this site...
and play the 101.1 WTOE , wkyk is Mtn Heritage stations owned by the same people and listen to the game. But no one would say there NFL or college quality they do a good job but very bias ( which they should be) and very county.
And yeah the drone shots are cool.

Last edited:
Building the 2 new high schools effectively destroyed any success for Burke County football for Freedom and East Burke (not that there was a ton before). Draughn and Patton have been generally awful. Basketball is a different story..

Building the 2 new high schools effectively destroyed any success for Burke County football for Freedom and East Burke (not that there was a ton before). Draughn and Patton have been generally awful. Basketball is a different story..
generally awful? Draughn went 2nd round of the football playoffs last year and won the conference in basketball. Heck their sophomore F won defensive player of the year for the conference. Freedom is no longer the powerhouse football team in burke.

Burke could have used 1 new school not 2.

Reactions: FormerDog38
generally awful? Draughn went 2nd round of the football playoffs last year and won the conference in basketball. Heck their sophomore F won defensive player of the year for the conference. Freedom is no longer the powerhouse football team in burke.
As my earlier post said, basketball is a different story. Freedom and Draughn have had good teams in bball (Freedom won the state title of course). Draughn and Patton have struggled in football since their inception. They have never made it far into the playoffs and have often not made it into the playoffs in 3A or 1A/2A. According to MaxPreps, Draughn has 55 wins and 95 losses all time including this year which is likely the best team in school history. The previous best team was in 2011 when they went 9-4.

Draughn has had some decent years but it's usually followed up by a rough season, can they build on the success?

Patton is 58 wins and 101 losses all time but has played in 3A. Interestingly enough the series between Draughn and Patton is 7-6 in favor of Patton. Both teams have been really similar.

Your game announcer was great. He really had the voice for that job.

Reactions: Old Mountaineer
As my earlier post said, basketball is a different story. Freedom and Draughn have had good teams in bball (Freedom won the state title of course). Draughn and Patton have struggled in football since their inception. They have never made it far into the playoffs and have often not made it into the playoffs in 3A or 1A/2A. According to MaxPreps, Draughn has 55 wins and 95 losses all time including this year which is likely the best team in school history. The previous best team was in 2011 when they went 9-4.

Draughn has had some decent years but it's usually followed up by a rough season, can they build on the success?

Patton is 58 wins and 101 losses all time but has played in 3A. Interestingly enough the series between Draughn and Patton is 7-6 in favor of Patton. Both teams have been really similar.
Looks like to me Draughn has turn progran around. Looking at their roster they will be solid next year.

How’s weather looking for the game?? Good luck to both teams for a great injury free game too! Go Mountaineers!!

That's exactly how he sounds they may have made it even more clear in editing like you say cleaned out any background noise.
You can go online tonight on this site...
and play the 101.1 WTOE , wkyk is Mtn Heritage stations owned by the same people and listen to the game. But no one would say there NFL or college quality they do a good job but very bias ( which they should be) and very county.
And yeah the drone shots are cool.
:D Country
I'm listening in....... Love it!

Draughn 21 Mitchell 7 7 min left in second quarter. I tried telling y’all this ain’t the same DRAUGHN team y’all beat last year. Good game

Then I assume since they just pulled from those two then that means that Burke just needed another school. But thanks for the answer I forgot to ask which schools they pulled from if that was the case.
They just pulled from East Burke. Patton pulled from Freedom. It used to be 2 4A schools now it is one 3A, 2 2A’s and 1A Draughn.

Where I said Mitchell had one of the best most professional announcers not over the top well just the opposite for the Draughn announcer one of the most annoying ones I've ever heard.

• Haha
Reactions: Wildcat10fan
Mitchell looks like they completely over looked this game. They are playing with no fire, acting like they won the game by showing up. If something doesn't change at the half this is gonna get ugly quick in the 2nd half

Reactions: 97Cougar
Mitchell looks like they completely over looked this game. They are playing with no fire, acting like they won the game by showing up. If something doesn't change at the half this is gonna get ugly quick in the 2nd half
Everyone expected the same team that they blew out last fall. Mitchell has been the big dog on the mountain for a long time. Draughn will return almost all of the offense next fall at the skill position because they are all juniors. Great game so far

Mitchell just can't stop Draughn, quarterback got all day. If mit doesn't make adjustments they are in for long night.
Part of that is too much time for the QB time running around you stay up with them forever.
the QB was young last year. He’s added weight and is in the top 2 QBs for his 2024 class. Draughn is a complete team with solid running backs and wrs. And keep in mind the 2nd running back ain’t took the field yet so he’s fresh for the 2nd half.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT