ADVERTISEMENT

Mitchell @ Draughn

Old Mountaineer

Nov 4, 2018
Bakersville
Should be a good game and probably the WHC championship.
Just hope Mitchell is healthier, Ty while not 100% and may not be the rest of the season but looked more like himself against Owen then he's looked so far and not sure the situation with G Young's shoulder Mitchell needs him as well.
Another concern to me Draughn is putting up big points except for the lost to 2-3 East Burke and Mitchell's D has been a bit of concern this year I'm just curious what Draughn is best at run or pass they don't share their stats with MaxPreps with a 6'6" QB and tall receivers I assume they like to pass.

Last edited:
Reactions: RealStihl
Quarterback throws it really well. Good receivers huge line and great running backs. Most balanced team I have saw the last couple years

Should be excellent game. Biggest key can Draughn slow down mit rushing attack? Draughn is more athletic but mit is so physical. In my opinion mit qb will have play like last season to put mit in position to win. Look for high scoring game

Should be excellent game. Biggest key can Draughn slow down mit rushing attack? Draughn is more athletic but mit is so physical. In my opinion mit qb will have play like last season to put mit in position to win. Look for high scoring game
I believe a lower scoring game would be in Mitchell's favor. I believe the key for Mitchell will be their offense having their long time consuming drives that they're known for and keep that Draughn offense off the field as much as possible.

Draughn has put up points but let's be honest here, in their 5 victories the teams they've played have combined for 1 win. Their only lose came to a mediocre East Burke team. Mitchell should win this one easily and win it by multiple touchdowns.

Mitchell won by 50 points last year...if draughn wins that would be a heck of a turn around for them.
While I'll agree their schedule hasn't been stellar I'm not going to go by last year.
I've seen teams beat other teams pretty bad the year before and see a big difference the next year. Example the losing team the year before could have been young while the winning team might graduated a lot players.
Looks like some of Draughn's players like their QB and RB were Sophomores last year and Mitchell still isn't completely healthy plus the D has hasn't yet been as strong this year.

Reactions: Bill28714
Looks like the game has been moved to Thursday 7:30. Rain would have benefited the Mounties I think. Defense is really going to have to step up and we need to wear them out on the line of scrimmage. Go Mitchell

Looks like the game has been moved to Thursday 7:30. Rain would have benefited the Mounties I think. Defense is really going to have to step up and we need to wear them out on the line of scrimmage. Go Mitchell
Well I agree and if just minor rain event would benefit Mitchell but it looks like they're expecting a heavy downpour.

Their line is bigger overall than Mitchell. They may just wear y’all down. They throw it well but run it well too

• Wow
Reactions: Wildcat10fan
I don’t know but they have about 3 the size of the huge linemen Mitchell has. They demoralized us on the line.

We threw for 300 yards on Mitchell so I can only imagine what Draughn will do

Y’all act like we didn’t move the ball but fail to talk about how we had multiple possessions inside the red zone and got stopped on 4 downs and missed a fg and had penalties derail possessions etc. I don’t know how many yards we threw for 1st half but when you recover a onside and cover a fumble both in Mitchell territory you are not racking up huge yards with those possessions. Y’all sub’d kids on offense before D and you didn’t do wholesale subbing. Did you let your foot off the gas? Probably but our kids kept playing as they should have. Travise and his 2 point conversion was classless. But I expect no less based on what I’ve saw him do over the last several years kicking inside kicks while up 3 and 4 scores. I don’t know for sure if Draughn wins but if I had to lay money down on it that’s who I would put it on. Last year has no effect on what happens this year so if anyone is hanging their hats on that, good luck. As far as the East Burke loss, it is puzzling to me but considering Draughn was formed out of East Burke I would say it is a rivalry game and with those you never know what will happen.

The fumble and on-sides was against the subs. And again I don't know why he did the two point conversation except just the make up for the missed extra point but the TD and the two points was done by ALL backups. If he wanted to run up the score he didn't have to start putting subs in the beginning of the second half. Where you even there? Didn't stay home because you had to get up @ 4:30 the next morning?

Reactions: Rocketeightyeight
I did stay at home but I had someone giving me the updates and I’ve watched film. I know after you went up 7-0 we ran the ball 70 yards down in your red zone and didn’t score then forced a fumble and settled for a fg and missed all in just a couple minutes

Owen had 382 total yards and Mitchell had 375 but Owen got all that in the last 5 minutes

What about his onside kicks up big. Is there an excuse for that? I’ve seen him do that in at least 2 occasions

Reactions: BK13T-$
I also know we were on the doorstep to scoring again as time expired. Could have been even closer

I don’t have to prove anything to you but I get up that early every single day. It makes it tough to go to the games. That is the first game I missed Al year including scrimmage. Too far to drive

I did stay at home but I had someone giving me the updates and I’ve watched film. I know after you went up 7-0 we ran the ball 70 yards down in your red zone and didn’t score then forced a fumble and settled for a fg and missed all in just a couple minutes
That 70 yards was one run he got to the outside an yeah had a good run but they didn't score..and there was only one recovered on-sides kick on the back-up the next he did put the others in to make should it didn't happen again.
And I never suggested that you have anything to prove to me I don't blame you one bit getting up that early not coming to a game and getting that late not one bit. I was just pointing out that you were not there and why because you commented earlier that you couldn't because you had to get up early it wasn't a knock on your work.
And if you remember I'm the one that's commented that I thought Owen had some good athletes and surprised that they haven't done any better than they have.

They should be doing better and I don’t have any explanation as why they are not other than turnovers and dumb play sometimes. They do play hard and I hope they finish well. It just ticks me off that some of you guys act like the game wasn’t as close as the score indicates but our missed opportunities would suggest quite the opposite. I think the score was probably closer to what it should have been. We didn’t punch in early opportunities. Look Mitchell won and should have but the Mitchell folks wanna down Owen every chance they get which I can only chalk up to bitterness for the beatings for 30 years that Owen gave them

I not a bit bitter about Owen they've had some great teams and it was always a good rivalry it's to bad that the WHC is not as strong as it used be. But I'm sorry believe what you want the game was over at halftime and as we meantioned the last quarter took forever. But I don't do the bitter thing if a team is better their better and I've seen serval close hard fought games between the two and some Owen teams that were just better than some Mitchell teams and the other way around and I've seen the more talented teams blow it too and lose in this rivalry but is what it is..bty my senior year 82-83 season we won 20-14 🙃

My senior year Owen was 12-1 losing to a Shelby 3rd round and the score was probably a little worse than Fridays score

Reactions: Old Mountaineer
As far as draughn goes. I'd be surprised if Mitchell does not kill them. I went to the MA and draughn game that was on a Saturday last year. A junior heavy Mount airy team destroyed supposedly the number 1 QB in the 24 class and the number 3 rb. Plus the right tackle got literally tossed around by the dandy kid. Mitchell had dudes. Draughn may complete some balls but the QB who hasn't seen the weight room yet will not make it when those Mitchel boys get after him. In fact he left the MA game last year he was getting hit so much. Mitchell is just as good. I may be wrong but I see Mitchell hammering them. Draughn is severely over rated.

• Haha
Reactions: icardcav3
28 to zip at the half. 49 to 14 deep in the 4th quarter. Dang I can’t take many more of these cardiac games😀
Thinking same thing too. A team can’t be relevant when they allow over 50 points a game. Albemarle destroyed Owen by 45 points and that’s the only game they have won.

Wow! I’m so impressed by your 80 points scored this year which includes only 30 vs Rosman who has like 15 kids and no wins and Heritage has 1. Throwing from a glass house aren’t we?

The Albemarle game was a crazy set of circumstances. Let’s just say it was tight at halftime and shouldn’t have been and by halfway through the 3rd quarter we were down like 5 starters and the wheels fell off with mistake after mistake. Let’s see what happens this week. I believe we will see 2 1-5 teams walk off the field

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT