ADVERTISEMENT

Mitchell @ Draughn

I can't put my finger on it ether. It has been an issue with the QB getting hurt and a game against a good passing team he probably played even some on D if not injured plus a starting DB out with a broken leg didn't help. But it's more then the injuries and who graduated ,I believe maybe if they haven't already the players without coaches or anyone there need to get together and sort it out because I really don't think it's from a lack of talent.
No it’s not. They have all the tools they need and the coaching staff. I know the biggest thing is the QB not being 100%. We all know what he is capable of when he is healthy. Maybe the players and staff can have a come to Jesus meeting and get it worked out. The West is loaded as usual and still a lot of games to be played. At the end who knows who will be the West Champion.

I don't think they send a message to anybody. Doesn't sound like Mitchell did a whole lot of blitzing. It does not sound like those Lyman got ran over like they did last year. All you got to do against that kid is play man and get to him. He'll go down. Sorry that Mitchell didn't do it. With all the smack that kid talks it would have been nice.
if you blitz him he will pick you apart with the short stuff. What part of our O-line is improved don't you understand? he's only been sacked once or twice all season even when being blitzed. pocket awareness and quick reads are the key. good game

Reactions: Sammci
First, congratulations to Draughn. Heck of a game you all played.
Second, Sometimes things just don’t work the way they are planned. For whatever reason Mitchell has just not jelled. I know what purple says about no leadership. I am sure that has something to do with it. Those seniors from last year obviously brought more than most folks realize. However, for the past several years Mitchell has been able to replace and go forward. Just hasn’t happened yet.
Third, no doubt people are going to start blaming coaches and want changes. But come on things happen.
Fourth, defense is a HUGE concern moving forward. Mitchell must figure this out if they want to see round 2 or 3 of the playoffs. I still feel pretty good about the offense but when you have to score every possession it gets tough.
Fifth, I will continue to show up and wear purple and support this team the same as all the others over the years. Regardless if 1-9 or 10-0 they are still MOUNTAINEERS.
Last, call me an idiot I don’t care but that Draughn offense could be Really Really special next year. Heck they are there this year but next year I can see them making a DEEP run.

Go Mountaineers
well said. THE WHOLE SKILL POSITION OFFENSE WILL BE BACK minus 2 WRs.

No it’s not. They have all the tools they need and the coaching staff. I know the biggest thing is the QB not being 100%. We all know what he is capable of when he is healthy. Maybe the players and staff can have a come to Jesus meeting and get it worked out. The West is loaded as usual and still a lot of games to be played. At the end who knows who will be the West Champion.
The WHC champion has already been decided. Draughn's remaining games: Madison, Rosman, and home vs Mt heritage.

First, congratulations to Draughn. Heck of a game you all played.
Second, Sometimes things just don’t work the way they are planned. For whatever reason Mitchell has just not jelled. I know what purple says about no leadership. I am sure that has something to do with it. Those seniors from last year obviously brought more than most folks realize. However, for the past several years Mitchell has been able to replace and go forward. Just hasn’t happened yet.
Third, no doubt people are going to start blaming coaches and want changes. But come on things happen.
Fourth, defense is a HUGE concern moving forward. Mitchell must figure this out if they want to see round 2 or 3 of the playoffs. I still feel pretty good about the offense but when you have to score every possession it gets tough.
Fifth, I will continue to show up and wear purple and support this team the same as all the others over the years. Regardless if 1-9 or 10-0 they are still MOUNTAINEERS.
Last, call me an idiot I don’t care but that Draughn offense could be Really Really special next year. Heck they are there this year but next year I can see them making a DEEP run.

Go Mountaineers
Good post..yeah I've been there thru not good years. I believe in the last few years have spoiled us. And it's not just what Mitchell is or isn't doing some of these team have just really improved themselves this year and are good teams

Without number 5 dula the kid y’all haven’t stopped yet if he would have played against East Burke Draughn would have won
Most of 1A schools especially is one or two injuries away from winning or not. I don't know if he done the same thing on other teams like he did Mitchell but I believe if Andrews lost #7 they'd be in trouble or not just dula but if Draughn's QB gets hurt they'd really be in trouble unless there's some really good QB in the wings because the threat of the pass really opens the run.

Looks like the Mitchell staff is saying about the same thing some of us are. Last post on the Mitchell Mountaineer Football Facebook page....
"We plain ole got our tails handed to us.….somebody is gonna have to step up on the field if our Mountaineers have any plans to play in November. We aren’t afraid to say it here…from the field to the stands and everywhere in-between we were dead…...the only question left to ask……."
Then the usual photo of a wood with the words carved in...
"DID YOU LEAVE IT ALL ON THE FIELD TODAY"

My only issue with it it's not the stands the fans or as far as that goes the cheerleaders haven't been dead.

if you blitz him he will pick you apart with the short stuff. What part of our O-line is improved don't you understand? he's only been sacked once or twice all season even when being blitzed. pocket awareness and quick reads are the key. good game
Yeah we saw that didn't we. Andrews, Mount airy, Eastern Randolph, and a few others will have the athletes to not let those guys get open. And then they'll sack him. It'll keep happening. But if you sit back and let him throw anybody's good. I don't see why Mitchell didn't blitz him but maybe they don't have the dudes they had last year. Then again the only time I saw them play was the Mount airy game last year. And say what you want but they couldn't block any of their players I don't know who the interior knows was but they couldn't block him. And the dandy kid pounded him in the turf all night. That's the way you do it. I would have thought that Mitchell would have had the dudes to do it. But maybe not maybe that was just last year

• Haha
Reactions: swatz19
I can’t put my finger on it. I still think Mitchell is a big threat down the road. They have the size and strength, speed, passing game and experience. Best of luck the rest of the way
One thing we haven't mentioned is the possibility of what kinda pressure these kids may have put on themselves coming into the season then the second game your QB gets hurt.
You put pressure on yourself trying to live up to expectations after a season like last year and stop having fun just playing football bad things can happen and if that's the case some of us in the fan base may just make it worse.
The only explanations they should have is the one they have for themselves and not what they think their county or others is expecting.

Yeah we saw that didn't we. Andrews, Mount airy, Eastern Randolph, and a few others will have the athletes to not let those guys get open. And then they'll sack him. It'll keep happening. But if you sit back and let him throw anybody's good. I don't see why Mitchell didn't blitz him but maybe they don't have the dudes they had last year. Then again the only time I saw them play was the Mount airy game last year. And say what you want but they couldn't block any of their players I don't know who the interior knows was but they couldn't block him. And the dandy kid pounded him in the turf all night. That's the way you do it. I would have thought that Mitchell would have had the dudes to do it. But maybe not maybe that was just last year
YAWN!!!! better luck next year.

Is Draughn Like East Surry 2019 as far as their ability to pass every down?
Well hard to say I wouldn't think so ES made passes on a real good secondary plus last night he made most of his passes like the three times Draughn had 3rd and 15+ were he was able to run around the back field and someone would get open in the middle good at passing on the run but there was a couple of dropping back in the pocket and throwing it down field that was actually covered well and no completion while ER QB was really good at dropping back and making a long throw over the shoulder down the sideline and complete the pass to a well covered receiver & quicker release because he had to have one.

I cant believe Sam and Owen are posting here instead of starting their own you guys have too much time on your hands lol
I’m a MH man and there’s not much to chat about. Our offense isn’t up to snuff. We only scored 43 points against Owen and that was the fewest scored against Owen this year. Probably why no MH-Owen thread lol

Reactions: 97Cougar
Purple you couldn’t handle the schedule I have in life. It would make you head spin.

We didn't do much better, you played a tough schedule who knows?
Mtn heritage has played better schedule
It's going to be a while in my opinion before the 1A West sees a passing attack like that team in 2019 had.
Draughn is real deal big and fast. I was shock how good they are. Heritage schedule was toughest in western highlands, chase is best team I have seen play this year even better than Draughn .

Serious question here. How is the QB from Mitchell doing this year? I know he is a stud but is the injury just slowing him down now?

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Serious question here. How is the QB from Mitchell doing this year? I know he is a stud but is the injury just slowing him down now?
Injury has definitely slowed him down looks like his cutting better but doesn't look like the burst of speed is still not there, there was a few times where they got him in the back field that I don't believe at 100% they would have. Noticed Thursday where he usually runs over to the sideline after every play that someone else was running in the plays.
A high ankle sprain is hard to heal from especially when you keep playing still don't understand playing him in the Madison game. Hopefully having a couple weeks until the next game will give him some healing time.

Reactions: bigtime_87
But y’all are more balanced this year and don’t need him is all y’all said when I said he needed to sit non conference

Reactions: KW23 and Sammci
But y’all are more balanced this year and don’t need him is all y’all said when I said he needed to sit non conference
Well I didn't say that but with him healthy I did feel they were more balanced with the RB's this year and keep everyone from keying on the QB and not him not have to do it all himself but to be balanced you need him as a threat to run as well. Though I think they need to open it up more with some short passes and something besides the bubble screen usually it's wide open behind the linebackers because most play them for the run a play action pass would probably work well because of that as well.

Reactions: owen98 and 97Cougar
Injury has definitely slowed him down looks like his cutting better but doesn't look like the burst of speed is still not there, there was a few times where they got him in the back field that I don't believe at 100% they would have. Noticed Thursday where he usually runs over to the sideline after every play that someone else was running in the plays.
A high ankle sprain is hard to heal from especially when you keep playing still don't understand playing him in the Madison game. Hopefully having a couple weeks until the next game will give him some healing time.
You keep saying high ankle sprain, I heard it's his foot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT