ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News!!

I just got a little bored with the boards. Praise and worship on this guy, rant and rave over another...you know. Stone is more of a Robeson County icon. Maybe Swett2Victory can fill in what has been left out. I hope Albemarle can get their guy in place soon. I would hate for the No Class Club to have a "reason" to drink. "Buddy...take me 'runk...I'm home." ...comes to mind.

Sleehrat I havent heard from you in a while...are we still connected sir?

• Coach Stone second year at Rowland, he took the Cobras to the 1A East regional final, making him the only coach in Cobra history to reach this game.
  • After Rowland consolidated into South Robeson, Coach Stone led the Mustangs to four playoff berths in seven years. This was a period of time when only 30-35% of schools made the playoffs.
  • In 1988, he took over a struggling Lumberton team and competed in the tough 4A Southeastern Conference.
  • In 1991, he took over a West Forsyth Titan program that had an accumulative record since its inception of 110-164-6. In his 14 years as head coach, the Titan Program had an accumulative record of 108-53-2.
  • In 2005, Coach Stone was named head coach of Purnell Swett, a program that had 11 consecutive losing seasons. By his second (and last) year at the helm, Coach Helms broke this streak.
  • By 2007, Coach Stone took over a Douglas Byrd team that had three consecutive losing seasons. In his second year at the helm of the Eagles, he led his team to the state championship game. From 2008 to 2013, the Eagles had 5 seasons of 10 or more wins.
  • Coach Stone's Eagles were 65-29. Five of those losses were due to forfeits in his first season.
  • Coach Stone's record during his years as head coach is 245-158-5.

Yea, I remember when the NCC was in its prime. Our "commie" leader Bluebones sent Buddy Rich out to scout a team for us. After not getting any helpful data back from Buddy......he realized he was at the wrong field. :confused::confused: Just a little "tipsy" on the NCC funds.

Yeah I remember that abiggdogg. I was headed to the right field but stopped at a local bar for a drink not realizing it was "Happy Hour". Thus I ended up at the wrong place.

He did take over for Denny Zeiters who had taken West Forsyth to the 4a state championship game the previous year when they lost on a Hail Mary to Richmond County. Can't say he did a turn around job there as Zeiters had started that process in the mid 80's. I was very sad when he left and very happy of his continued success.

Coach Stone would be a simple solution. Without a definite pathway for the school after one year, not many will line up to move their family with the chance of it being a one year gig. Coach Stone is in another stage of coaching. One or two years may be what he would prefer? IDK...but he can win for you.

Reactions: Buddy Rich
Tonight is a joint meeting of the BOE and BOCC. I'm thinking the number 1 topic will be MONEY. Maybe when to put a sales tax for the schools on the ballot. Also the commissioners want a promise not to close any schools in return. Plus a one time payment to the schools from the commissioners. Redistricting may or may not come up.

From the feedback I am getting from the other site they say Russell Stone would be interested in the Albemarle job. He is currently a coorandinator at Northern Guilford in Greensboro. Wish someone at the school would put his name out there.

Mr. Stone sounds like the real deal. But honestly , I wouldn't get my hopes up. I would love to see Albemarle get him or any other coach that will come in and immediately "Crush" the opposing teams. What I would do is just call the AD at Albemarle and throw a bug in his ear. I know some people on this site have a good rapport with him. I'll be taking him to the Cheese Cake Factory and tell him to reach out for Mr. Stone. If he does come, hell will have some of the best Athletes in the state at the 1A level. We will be back on top of our game in an instance.

And WM would become second class citizens again :cool:

I'm going to take this one day at a time until the end of August gets here and then it's showtime.

Hey foot, the way things are going me and sway maybe coaching the dogs this year. lol
Buddy, what you going to do for the Away games? You could not make it to the visitor sidelines......unless they haul you over on the GATOR.;):cool:

Hey foot, the way things are going me and sway maybe coaching the dogs this year. lol
You guys aren't going anywhere Buddy. This is just a bump in the road. You will draw a good crowd of coaches that want to get you back to the top. You just need someone who wants to stay a while and to get this closing mess sorted out and finalized. I just don't see that happening.

Mr. Stone would be a God send to Albemarle. It would be 2018 before He could pick up His 500th. Wishing those Warriors the best of luck and I'll be pulling for You except for October 9th

Per Aces and others it seems like the joint meeting last night between the BOE and the BOCC is at an impasse. The lines of communication between the 2 groups seems to be at a deadend. The school board seems to be reluncate to talk and I think the commionissers are ready to offer if the school board will just dish the 2 plans they have put out there. I think the school board is just being plain stubborn and wants their way. Just between you and me their not going to get it. I have a feeling the administration is running the school board instead of the other way around. Also the school board abrubtly adjourned the meeting. Maybe its time for a mediator to step in..

Last edited:
One thing the school board wants from the commissioners is assurance from them that the tax money will be there for years down the road not just this coming year. This is assuming that it passes. However I don't think the commissioners can guarantee this because some members could be replaced in the next election and the new commissioners could vote to redirect these funds.

I think the fear of the BOE is that they drop all of their plans now, the tax referendum is not on voted on until as late as November 2016 and fails as everyone returns to their state of mind from a six months ago. Then you are in the same position as today but it is spring 2017, two years later.

Personally, drop Plan A and B, drive hard for a sensible redistricting, and allocate money for the educational support that is needed. I think many will fight this but that is the sensible approach at this time. I do think even with redistricting that South Stanly and Norwood will not be able to push up their enrollments enough if the population for school age children does not grow there. They will continue to struggle and there will be a time that the BOE will need to look at closing those schools again. As much as we all agree that schools should not close now and take children from their communities I do not think students should be taken from their communities and sent a further distance to a school to prop up that school's enrollment.

Last edited:
Reactions: BulldogsFollower
Btango. Is there time enough to redistrict for the coming school year that starts in Aug?

I do not think anything should be done for next year and I do not Thi k there is time to implement any major changes for next school year. I like an in-depth sensible redistricting plan that goes into effect August 2016.

I think the fear of the BOE is that they drop all of their plans now, the tax referendum is not on voted on until as late as November 2016 and fails as everyone returns to their state of mind from a six months ago. Then you are in the same position as today but it is spring 2017, two years later.

Personally, drop Plan A and B, drive hard for a sensible redistricting, and allocate money for the educational support that is needed. I think many will fight this but that is the sensible approach at this time. I do think even with redistricting that South Stanly and Norwood will not be able to push up their enrollments enough if the population for school age children does not grow there. They will continue to struggle and there will be a time that the BOE will need to look at closing those schools again. As much as we all agree that schools should not close now and take children from their communities I do not think students should be taken from their communities and sent a further distance to a school to prop up that school's enrollment.

The whole argument is about Kids not wanting to leave Their School. If Schools where to have closed the Kids would have recieved a notification on where to attend School next year. If They where to be redistricting They would receive the same notification. Nobody is going to be happy anyway. The more You think about it the more You see that it's a waste of time in Stanly County to do anything. I'm sure it is like this in Other places. The BOE just needs to learn how to make it look sensible to Kids and Parents

I think it is safe to say that all the schools will be open for business as usual in Aug. But I also think changes are coming when schools open in Aug. 2016. To me the sensible thing to do is redistrict and I think that will happen after a bitter fight with the western part of the county. Now on to Albemarle football. Well we have to find a new coach. I planted a bug in the AD's ear about coach Stone, which is about all I can do. Also along about now they start moving principals around, so in case we get a new one at Albemarle, they will have to be in place before we can get a new coach. Or that is my understanding. I for one am going to take a deep breath and get ready for another season of Bulldog Football!!!

As far as the upcoming football season someone must have given Thomasville the assurance that we would be playing football because I think we are the first game on their schedule when they come to Albemarle.

We Red Dogs are flattered that you folks see us that way. We have some challenges of our own within the school system. Unless some things change, we may not have enough kids to field a team. And, no, I'm not sandbagging. Gonna take some tough-minded people with integrity to turn this ship around. I hope our new coach and principal are up to the task and that they have the backing of the administration and school board.

However in talking with our AD this week there is still some confusion as to the exact date of the game. Think we have it down as the first game of the season whereas Thomasville doesn't..Hope they can get this straighten out. Do you have Thomasville's schedule OC?

According to an article in the Thomasville Times on May 5th it says Thomasville will travel to Albemarle on the opening week of the season. Thomasville also plays West Montgomery this year as a non-conference game.

OK Then that would be Aug. 21 as the endowment game. Nobody likes endowment games as the state gets all the gate money. Then we would play Concord the next week and I would assume at Concord. Then WS would round out our 3 non-conference games. Right.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT