ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News!!

Like Richmond Senior, Albemarle has those Athletes coming out every year. We just don't have as many because We are a 1a School.

I think in comparison to the competition they play in their classification Albemarle probably has more athletes. Not many 1A schools can matchup with Albemarle but Richmond has found in recent years they are often not the team on the field with most athletes, most depth, or most size. I thought their staff had did an excellent job the last several years keeping them at a high level but too many people in Richmond did not feel that way.

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
OK nation do you think Doug might still help out as an asst. to the new coach. The only 2 other coaches I know by name are Hamilton and Blanton. Think they will be back. We haven't hired outside since Jack Gaster. If we can do half that good again yepee! Can't wait to see how many applicants we get. This should really be interesting. Go Dogs.

Richmond is competing for 2nd place every year in the Southeastern Conference. The fan base is spoiled, somewhat delusional, and very much fair weather fans. Albemarle is also probably competing for 2nd with the emergence of West Montgomery, but Albemarle handles this with class.

Albemarle is different. The school has tremendous support and the fans are very thankful whenever Albemarle wins a championship. The Bulldogs have as good of a fan base as any 1A school in the state. Albemarle also treats its coaches with respect. That concept is very foreign in Richmond County.

I like how the fans stuck with Doug after all of the forfeited wins. If that happened in Richmond County, it might end up on the national news when the riots break out. Well, I'll take that back. I doubt if anyone would report it on the news because Richmond is irrelevant.

Forever what is your take on how many and what kind of applicants we will get? Also how much will the issues with the BOE and possibility of closing the school play in hiring a new coach

Last edited:
I expect that some seasoned candidates will interview for this job. I'd imagine you will get about a half of a dozen strong candidates that will be in the mold of Coach Gaster.

The only downside is the talk about Albemarle closing. If the Stanly county folks unite and fix the academics and finances of the school system, you will get a good quality coach.

Reactions: Buddy Rich
I personally think DT will always be around these kids. He loves them and they have a lot of respect for him. Most people don't discuss the quality of kids that AHS still has. These kids coming up want to win and most are pretty good workers. You get the right coach in who sets the time with discipline and work ethic as well as academics you will see Albemarle quickly ride to the top again. Emery is a big time RB all it takes is the right coach with him and we have a major RB to deal with. Regardless of the BOE situation this is a head coaches dream from a student prospective and you have 100% support from the fans and school. Quick turn around program that can be extremely dominant quickly. I believe we will have some really good applicants and I look for AHS to be back on top soon.

Any potential HC is going to look at the overall situation in the county. Issues with the BOE and potentially closing schools and even if schools are not being closed they are going to recognize there are issues. Four coaches resigned their positions the same spring. Coaches supplement. County teaching supplement. Albemarle has had four coaches leave and two won state titles. There will be a lot of questions. Just as Richmond has found out, the job may not be as hot as the homers would think due to a lot of the negatives. If a potential HC is married with children, he is going to look at where his kids will attend school and where will his wife be able to get a job.

I know a couple of crusty ol veterans that will take a look but they have other reasons for wanting to get to the area.

Just to help everyone out, Tom Knotts is not interested even if you make the pay $155k which is what would be needed to make up for the loss of his NC retirement and what he is making in SC.

I personally think DT will always be around these kids. He loves them and they have a lot of respect for him. Most people don't discuss the quality of kids that AHS still has. These kids coming up want to win and most are pretty good workers. You get the right coach in who sets the time with discipline and work ethic as well as academics you will see Albemarle quickly ride to the top again. Emery is a big time RB all it takes is the right coach with him and we have a major RB to deal with. Regardless of the BOE situation this is a head coaches dream from a student prospective and you have 100% support from the fans and school. Quick turn around program that can be extremely dominant quickly. I believe we will have some really good applicants and I look for AHS to be back on top soon.

Yeah I agree btango, Tom Knotts would probably like to end his career in his home town, but there's no way with the money he is making now.
I also agree that there are a lot of negatives about a good coach coming here, unless like you say there are other reasons for moving here. If the school situation was a lot clearer it would help on getting good canditates, but it is what it is. Maybe we'll get lucky. It should be interesting.

If a coach looks at Albemarle and sees the potential to have a good four or five year run it is very interesting to them. If the school were definitely staying open the continued drop in enrollment is an issue that will eventually hurt the program. I think Albemarle and South are open for another five years. After that there will need to be growth in those districts to keep them open. Redistricting can only do so much.

If a coach looks at Albemarle and sees the potential to have a good four or five year run it is very interesting to them. If the school were definitely staying open the continued drop in enrollment is an issue that will eventually hurt the program. I think Albemarle and South are open for another five years. After that there will need to be growth in those districts to keep them open. Redistricting can only do so much.

Even the West Stanly Job isn't very alluring right now because of the situations in this County. North Stanly put and insider in, also South. Like You said, if a Coach wants His Wife to have a Job or maybe work in the School System, That probably wouldn't happen.

Personally from a coaching standpoint Albemarle is very appealing. With the amount of teaching positions available in NC due to teachers leaving for other states security is not a top priority. You have an opportunity to come in to a school and program that's not far removed from winning multiple state titles, you still have a lot of talent that could easily make a run, and a program that has tremendous fan support. If you as a coach have been successful and looking to take your coaching career to the next level then why not? If you as a coach wants to come in and turn a program around then why not? Seems to me more positives then negatives!!

I also think there are some positives about Albemarle, but I also think the biggest negative is the uncertainity of the school staying open. I believe it will but any prospective coach is probably going to want some assurances that it will be open 2,3 even 5 yrs down the road. I don't think we can promise anyone that at this juncture. I may be wrong but I think that may have played a part in Doug's resigning. With our past history of success on the football field I would hope that would be a strong attraction to a few good coaches. I am trying to stay positive and maybe a little excited to see what lies around the next bend in the road. Go Dogs.

In regards to the school being open I dont think that played a part in DT resigning additionally I don't think it will play apart in a quality coach taking the job. If you are a good coach and proven there is always a position for you make no mistake about that. As a coach you want a position that can advance you as a coach and as a hs coach you want a good environment and the ability to impact young men's lives. Albemarle has that. They have great kids and a awesome fan base.

Seems like a few years back when we were between coaches EZ Smith from Concord was interested in the job. Think he had just retired but didn't want to go through the interviewing process.

I was just thinking about that Buddy. Before Seth was given the job E.Z. Smith said he would take the job but didn't want to go through the interview process. I guess he thought his coaching resume was enough to get the job. In hindsight I wish he would have gotten the job then. I'm not sure if he would have any interest in taking it now if it was offered to him .

EZ falls into the retirement pay trap. He would have to give up his retirement for three years when he accepts the job. Once he has been on the job over three years and resigns he would get his retirement pay again.

If they would make the position part time it would then open it up to NC system retirees much like Gray Stone.

I have not ran into him in about six months but he was working for a national football organization that trains coaches in safety techniques for football.

I'm not even sure he still had an interest in the job especially with all the turmoil surrounding the school. He might would be interested in it if it was offered as a part time position but I don't see our school board approving anything that would help the Albemarle football program. They really need a head coach who is at the school during the day and who is around the players everyday.

Yeah I agree dogs9. Think Thomasville tried that with Allen Brown not being at the school on a daily basis and it didn't work out to good.

Don't worry. Our state rep Burr has a bill before the House today that will prevent anyone from resigning from a school that is being attempted to be shut down. NO ONE CAN LEAVE. Drop the chalupa.

RUSSELL STONE. Does that name ring a bell with anybody. It didn't me till a friend of mine on the other site mentioned him as a coach that might be interested in the Albemarle job. Google him and think you will be impressed. My friend says he would be a perfect fit at Albemarle and that even the school situation wouldn't bother him. He is also said to be very good working with problem and underprivileged kids. Since you coach at the school nation I wish you would put his name out there. Sounds to me like a good possibility. By the way nation has the hiring process started and how does it work, since we have hired from within for so long. I just don't see that happening this time, unless there's something I don't know. I think time is of the essence.

RUSSELL STONE. Does that name ring a bell with anybody. Google him and think you will be impressed. also said to be very good working with problem and underprivileged kids.

Russell Stone would be a great fit. I had 3 sons that played football for him. He will immediately make you relevant again. Yes he knows his way around and is comfortable in any type of neighborhood.

I read where he was suspended for a game in 2010 by the student activities director for the Cumberland County Schools for running up the score in a game against Southern Lee. He sounds like our kind of coach. In his defense he was suspended for passing the ball in the second half after leading 55-7 at half.He said it was Senior Night and he had a bunch of seniors who had never caught a pass and he gave them that chance. He sounds like the right fit for the NCC.

Reactions: Abiggdogg11
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT