ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News!!

Buddy...I think the board will probably have a name to approve at the June meeting. Based on the time it took between offering and hearing approval at WS and NS, you are ahead of the game. Coach Stone won't need much time to get things going. (A betting man would bet on that as the hire if he wants it.)

Like I said, I believe we will get our man. With new funding for the schools with no sight of schools being closed down unless a "Asteroid" comes aiming for our planet, I believe we will be alright.

It will be total domination of every school in the county again this year. Gearing up for WM in Oct.

Concord is going to lay one in us though.....

Yeah I agree about Concord laying one on us, but I also think the Thomasville game could be a tossup.

My concern is the Concord game is very physical and some players get knocked out for a few games. I am not sure we will see the type of bowling ball banging Concord team we have seen the last few years though.

Huge step for the BOC last night. I believe the only reason Gene didn't vote for it was because he wanted a guarantee that the schools would not be shut down. Now I believe it's time for the BOE to step up to the plate. That next meeting will be very interesting for many reasons.

You might be right nation. Maybe I was a little harsh on Gene. Not wanting the schools closed makes sense. I agree now we will see what the BOE is really all about. On another note hope we have a candidate for HC that they can approve at the next meeting.

Reactions: bulldog nation2014
You might be right nation. Maybe I was a little harsh on Gene. Not wanting the schools closed makes sense. I agree now we will see what the BOE is really all about. On another note hope we have a candidate for HC that they can approve at the next meeting.

You weren't too hard on Gene the Machine. Gene is a tool pure and simple. Let him do the prayer to open each meeting and then let him sip his whiskey back at his home.

Don't know if anyone even noticed or even gives a rat's a$$, but I am approaching 3,000 posts on NC Preps. Go Dogs.

rookie.jpg

As nation said the board voted to keep all schools open for the coming year. Also ACES stated that they have retained the services of a Charlotte law firm and have requested a public records request from the board. I guess that means that everything they do must be open to the public. I guess their not talking made this come about. Maybe a lawyer on here can explain this to me. As I understand it after all the goings on NOTHING is going to happen this year.

Not an attorney, Buddy, but anyone can make a public records request. It has to be somewhat specific, though it could be as general as asking for all emails of the school board or superintendent. Even there, some things are not required, such as personal emails. Closed session items, such as attorney/client or personnel discussion, things related to real estate purchase, etc., are also protected.
If the school board has been in compliance with open meetings and sunshine laws, nothing will change. If not......

Also waiting a call from the AD. Said he would let me know what personnel decisions the board made.

I said on my AHS post that nothing will happen...But mark my words "Redistricting" will happen next year. Some elementary schools may also get closed.

I hope the kids enjoy their summer and put this year behind them.

Douglass Kilgore is the new principal at AHS. Also...they are voting on June 16th for or against open enrollment for the entire county. It will limit a HS to 85 percent capacity and requests will have only a three week window. This will really stir the pot. I will bet some baseball guys go south to get their rings, some basketball players will go to AHS etc. Heck..you might even see a cross country star go to Gray Stone....oh, right...that one is not included. I doubt it will help academics in ANY way. Just my opinion.

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
From what I hear.. And mind you its just a rumor mill.. Is that a Football head coach will be picked within the next 1-2 weeks now. They also need assistant football coaches and still a head soccer coach. But from what I hear all of which should be ready for approval at the next meeting!

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
I sure hope things work out for AHS.
Please we don't need more Dems.
In any office at this time. Look at
school systems in N.C. now.
Obama keeps throwing money at
it and everything else and that is
not the answer to all.

This is not what I'm hearing all-out 34. I could be wrong but I don't see the new principal being on campus till week after next and we can't hire a new coach till he is here. It will be tough to get a new coach hired by the next board meeting on June 16 to be approved.
But the most upsetting thing to me is after talking to someone in the know it's like the life has been sucked out of AHS with all these kids have been through this year. I think "Bulldog Pride" has taken a licking. Thanks for nothing school board. Maybe we can get it back . I sure hope so.
And this open enrollment thing. Where did that come from. Is this board trying to get around re
districting with open enrollment? Could be. I think open enrollment would hurt Albemarle.
Also Wes Herlocker has been reinstated as AD after coming off sick leave. No wonder the kids are confused. Hell you need a program to know "Who's on First"

Last edited:
Buddy the open enrollment plan limits schools to 85% capacity therefore North and West would not have open enrollment.

If that goes through no one should complain about charters and WS Prep.

The coaching situation may hurt the football team but the BOE workings should not be an issue. If it is then they are not mentally championship caliber.

Whats the purpose of it btango? They think it will increase the enrollment at Albemarle and South.

To the fans and supporters of Albemarle let me just say that we have won just one small battle. The war is far from over. Plan A and B are still out there lurking. The school board has not taken them off the table. I think the time factor kept them from implementing them. I also believe the battle will resume next year and we all must stand our ground against these 2 plans. Will redistricting happen? I hope so but who knows. As I have said before I applaud the board for wanting to do something about the school situation in SC, but don't agree with their solution to the problem. I think we need all our community schools kept open at all cost. I hope all our students look forward to a good year ahead. Especially the kids at Albemarle. I think what they have been throught this year is unprecedented. In closing I will just say "hats off to the kids at AHS"

Open enrollment is exactly that..."open". No school is exempted from this idea. (I do think it is an attempt to bypass the word "redistricting".) A footnote...the well intended parental group trying to create changes (ACES) has initiated a Freedom of Information Act request of all emails and correspondence from the BOE members current and former...and from the top 8 or so positions in the Supt. office. The cost of having these emails from the last 14 months released was shared with the BOE as a fee of $85,000. This cost is so the school board attorney can personally decide what is confidential (all personnel matters are, for example)...and to categorize prior to release. The finance officer shared that this expense cannot be paid from state funds. He mentioned coaches supplements (already tapped once), teacher supplements (in the budget equal to what this cost will accrue), and cuts in other areas (like school supplies). THE RESULT OF TRYING TO IMPEACH ELECTED OFFICIALS....OR RECALL THEM.... politically motivated (Burr) or not (ACES) is going to be yet another burden on a system trying to attract quality teachers and coaches. I am the messenger. Shoot someone else.

Just one question nipit. Think it was stated that any school that was at 85% capacity could not take any more students. West for sure and maybe North. Guess they could transfer out of these schools but not into them. Is that about right.

To the fans and supporters of Albemarle let me just say that we have won just one small battle. The war is far from over. Plan A and B are still out there lurking. The school board has not taken them off the table. I think the time factor kept them from implementing them. I also believe the battle will resume next year and we all must stand our ground against these 2 plans. Will redistricting happen? I hope so but who knows. As I have said before I applaud the board for wanting to do something about the school situation in SC, but don't agree with their solution to the problem. I think we need all our community schools kept open at all cost. I hope all our students look forward to a good year ahead. Especially the kids at Albemarle. I think what they have been throught this year is unprecedented. In closing I will just say "hats off to the kids at AHS"

I think the Board has to keep Plan A and Plan B on the table until the sales tax referendum passes. If the sales tax referendum is defeated then Stanly County would be in the same financial dire straits they are in right now. The Commissioners are very reluctant to provide additional funds via a tax increase to the schools that didn't involve a referendum. The Commissioners know that the Club for Growth will go after each Commissioner that supports any form of property tax increase. The Commissioners are also very reluctant to make any drastic budgetary changes because other areas requiring funding would be harmed.

Guys I have this gut feeling that this board is going to approve open enrollment instead of redistricting.

Think about it...doesn't that provide an "out" for the ACES parents who want their kids elsewhere. Buddy, you are a winner.

Open enrollment is exactly that..."open". No school is exempted from this idea. (I do think it is an attempt to bypass the word "redistricting".) A footnote...the well intended parental group trying to create changes (ACES) has initiated a Freedom of Information Act request of all emails and correspondence from the BOE members current and former...and from the top 8 or so positions in the Supt. office. The cost of having these emails from the last 14 months released was shared with the BOE as a fee of $85,000. This cost is so the school board attorney can personally decide what is confidential (all personnel matters are, for example)...and to categorize prior to release. The finance officer shared that this expense cannot be paid from state funds. He mentioned coaches supplements (already tapped once), teacher supplements (in the budget equal to what this cost will accrue), and cuts in other areas (like school supplies). THE RESULT OF TRYING TO IMPEACH ELECTED OFFICIALS....OR RECALL THEM.... politically motivated (Burr) or not (ACES) is going to be yet another burden on a system trying to attract quality teachers and coaches. I am the messenger. Shoot someone else.

I agree with all you wrote except the first line. The information that I understood to be put out was there would be a cap of 85% capacity for schools that allowed transfer students. If a school is at capacity, which West is and North is near, would not be able to take students from outside the district.

I think ACES should back off their request. A lot of respect for John Mullis and what they have done but if they are about the greater good it may be time to pull back and start some dialogue with the BOE and SCS as they do have a card to play now. It may be time for the teachers to speak up if they are going to take another hit.

Buddy I am with you, I think that is the way they are going to go for now but it does not fix the problem. It may put a little pink paint on it for a couple of years and people will realize it did not nothing and we are down the road and in a worse situation. The only way for open enrollment to work is to have a reason for students to want to go to South and Albemarle and mainly from West.

I think if open enrollment is allowed that a student should not be allowed to transfer and play sports immediately. That is one of the biggest issues in 1A sports right now. Do not be a part of the problem when you have cried about it in the past.

My understanding is if open enrollment is approved the athletes will NOT have to sit out a year. Boy I can hear the crying and moaning now. lol

Last edited:
As far as the athletes transferring I would think the football players would go to Albemarle, baseball players to South, softball players to West , basketball players to North and Albemarle. Not sure about the other sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT