ADVERTISEMENT

With 365 days to go Tarboro vs MT Airy 2023

First congratulations again to both Tarboro and the Champs Mount Airy. Both represent high school sports in a positive manner.

While I agree with above and fully expect a rematch this time next year, who are the other players?

Apologizes up front to the East, I just don’t know enough to even guess, we’ll except the obvious.

East: Tarboro and ……..

West: MA, ER, Robbinsville, Draughn at the top with Mountain Heritage becoming a potential spoiler.

Andrews should fall back and I don’t see Mitchell being a threat to the top. Possibly in a couple years maybe but not right now.

Who am I missing and overlooking?

Thanks BK I forgot Thomasville. Apologize to them.

Go Mountaineers

Last edited:
First congratulations again to both Tarboro and the Champs Mount Airy. Both represent high school sports in a positive manner.

While I agree with above and fully expect a rematch this time next year, who are the other players?

Apologizes up front to the East, I just don’t know enough to even guess, we’ll except the obvious.

East: Tarboro and ……..

West: MA, ER, Robbinsville, Draughn at the top with Mountain Heritage becoming a potential spoiler.

Andrews should fall back and I don’t see Mitchell being a threat to the top. Possibly in a couple years maybe but not right now.

Who am I missing and overlooking?

Go Mountaineers
As far as the SMC... Robbinsville should be favored coming out if conference. Swain was young this year and should be pretty good next year. Andrews will lose all their skilled kids but keep most of their line in both sides. I'm pretty sure Murphy will lose most of their starters but they usually have kids plug in pretty easily. Hayesville will be a young team as well. Im pretty sure Cherokee was young this year in the skill department so they could make some noise

I don’t follow 1A at all. The championship has become the Tarboro Invitational. I was surprised to see Simmons had them as an underdog.

Draughn deff will be in the mix, they return it all from a really good team. Robbinsville looks poised to have a really good team as well. Looking at thomasville they return a lot , I look for them to be improved a bit as well. The Bears return it all, will be interesting to see what comes up from JV to add to varsity depth. 22 had big game yesterday, we all know what a big day in the state championship does for the confidence of a kid that young. Will be looking for 4 to get more carries next year as well. JV team was undefeated. Will be interesting to see what another year in the weight room does for the bears. Kept hearing how small they were all year long , but man they were quick and physical. Big loses for next year include 59 and 6 . Both had great games yesterday

Last edited:
Andrews take a big jump back. I think Murphy will take a small step back I'm not sure of ER and Thomasville?
MA, Robbinsville, and Draughn should all be better next year.
Thomasville should be pretty stout. Losing some talent, but the freshman jv quarterback is special and a lot of junior talent coming back. Hopefully some team leaders will step up.

Unless for some reason Adkins decides he wants to for a bigger job, I see no reason for him to leave, especially since there is a good chance to run the table next season. I also don't see a bigger job that would be attractive at this point anyway

West Forsyth is out there. idk pay wise but it's a challenge if he's up for it. I have to say it isn't much of a challenge for him to win at Mt.Airy..and it will be easy for him to sustain there with what's in the pipeline.

Reactions: Jmappfan5
Unless for some reason Adkins decides he wants to for a bigger job, I see no reason for him to leave, especially since there is a good chance to run the table next season. I also don't see a bigger job that would be attractive at this point anyway
I don't see him leaving with what he has coming back for 2023. Another State Championship or 2 Ships looks better on his resume. And it could be a total of 3 trips to the state ships.

Reactions: WESTERNOC44
West Forsyth is out there. idk pay wise but it's a challenge if he's up for it. I have to say it isn't much of a challenge for him to win at Mt.Airy..and it will be easy for him to sustain there with what's in the pipeline.
As I told someone else in one of these threads, he would be taking a pay cut to coach in WSFCS system. It is only A 3.5 month pay for head coach in football. A single system school can and probably pays more than most large systems. Especially a system like Mt. Airy that has good community support.

As I told someone else in one of these threads, he would be taking a pay cut to coach in WSFCS system. It is only A 3.5 month pay for head coach in football. A single system school can and probably pays more than most large systems. Especially a system like Mt. Airy that has good community support.
So true, Mount Airy has great community support that paid for that new baseball & video football scoreboard and many things in the fieldhouse, a lot of modern weight equipment. I also read on hear about a really special planned improvement. If someone knows for sure what it is they can tell us. May have got some state money that helped with some of the above.

I guess I'm trying to say if you're an Adkins or Lowman what would be attractive about the job compared to their current situation?
I don't see Adkins going anywhere for a few years. He may have 1 or 2 more State Championships coming his way, which makes his resume look better even if one is a second-place finish. This win may put a few more middle school kids in the pipeline. Of course, all could change in 2 years, depending on what the NCHSAA does for the next realignment.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
I know this may sound strange but I believe the toughest challenge for Mt Airy next year will be in their own conference. If everyone is healthy and play to their abilities Starmount could very well beat Mt Airy. Remember this post this Fall lol

I know this may sound strange but I believe the toughest challenge for Mt Airy next year will be in their own conference. If everyone is healthy and play to their abilities Starmount could very well beat Mt Airy. Remember this post this Fall lol
I say MA goes undefeated in all 10 regular season games including beating East Surry this go around. Remember that this fall !

Reactions: Bearfan71
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT