ADVERTISEMENT

What is going on at Hickory ??

Hopefully taking time to find the right coach. This area has plenty of good choices!

This is a dead thread.

This program needs some life put back in it. I remember the day when teams feared Hickory High. Where/who is that perfect fit that can make it live again?

Hickory is so dead that even the threads about them struggle to breathe. Rulz, Machio, GDG, Seadog, Rev and the rest of the rival ramblers would have a hard time reviving this one.

I see Hickory in the same light as Cummings, Thomasville, Lexington, Parkland, Smith, Carver, Graham, Albermarle, Anson County where you had a once proud program that has fallen on hard times due to demographic/economic/population change. The fact is that maybe these programs can never ever regain the status of top programs heck in some cases some of these programs may never be competitive again. But from an outsiders perspective on Hickory the only way (if there is a way) to get the football program to be respectable is to hire a coach and give him as much support and backing as possible and as much time as possible. This means that the coach may have a reduced teaching load, to allow him to monitor players. The sad thing is that this may happen and you still may only have a .500 football team or even worse Hickory's better days may be long long gone

Reactions: rockstrong
No doubt, Hickory is hard to figure out. Barbara Helms has been very successful
with girls basketball for many years, so success at Hickory looks doable.

Several veteran coaches including Mike Helms and Tom Harper both left after
very short stays. My feeling is someone like a Sam Mackey or another young, top assistant coach in the area that is ready for the next step. Kinda like Chip English when he went to West Caldwell.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT