ADVERTISEMENT

West Montgomery @ North Moore

Daisy, you should read my first post on this thread. Like I said, the majority of NM fans are realists and know what we are up against this Friday night. But regardless of the outcome this week, whether we get run off the field or make a game of it, we've come a long way in the last 2 years. That can cause some folks to get carried away with their expectations.
Stang you are correct, I forgot about your post. Just remember as sad as it is the world seems to only remember the statements of idiots and not the sane. I am sure the game will be very interesting and wish you luck, as for the people living in fantasy land I hope the drugs they are using do not cause permanent damage

They just trying to hype it up to sell some tickets, you have to be better than a 4th place team In a weak conference to talk trash. That's right a 4th place team,

Foot, you're not really letting him get to you are you? You're normally the calm, reasonable one on here lol. Not used to seeing you talk trash haha

Nah, just sheepishly pawing a jab out there...lol. I leave the haymakers to everyone else! I got a lot of respect for North Moore and your coach. You guys have done some good things the last couple of years. You could see it two years ago.

Oh me, you guys are crazy ,please come see me after game so you can shake my hand and tell me I was right.
They just trying to hype it up to sell some tickets, you have to be better than a 4th place team In a weak conference to talk trash. That's right a 4th place team,

NM may have never won the YVC but can promise you they have won conference titles before. Now I expect them to show and play West close and anything can happen. I will see you there NM4life ;)

Stang you are correct, I forgot about your post. Just remember as sad as it is the world seems to only remember the statements of idiots and not the sane. I am sure the game will be very interesting and wish you luck, as for the people living in fantasy land I hope the drugs they are using do not cause permanent damage
Hey why do I have to be an idiot for loving and pulling for my team,seems if more people were like me the world would be a better place , you know people that speak their minds and root for their boys who work hard all season to try to win games. Why would I say anything otherwise you do know that boys from the Nm team look at this website and they see the support and also the non- support even from some fans. So seems to me if you are not pulling and talking trash for your team then maybe you are the idiots ,plain and simple. Nm4life out!!!!

The North Moore defense has been outstanding. They will however be tested against West Montgomery. The Mustang offense needs to kick it up a notch or two against the Warrior defense if they are to spring the upset win. The last North Moore on-the-field win over WM was in 1971. North Moore is 4-31 all time versus West Montgomery. Two of those wins were forfeit wins in 2008 & 2010.

Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick
Hey why do I have to be an idiot for loving and pulling for my team,seems if more people were like me the world would be a better place , you know people that speak their minds and root for their boys who work hard all season to try to win games. Why would I say anything otherwise you do know that boys from the Nm team look at this website and they see the support and also the non- support even from some fans. So seems to me if you are not pulling and talking trash for your team then maybe you are the idiots ,plain and simple. Nm4life out!!!!
It isn't the fact you are supporting and backing your team. The problem you have is you are talking trash for a team that hasn't been relevant in a long time. If NM can keep it within 2 tds then I will be impressed. However, I think WM walks away with it.

Reactions: WARRIOR_PRIDE2005
It isn't the fact you are supporting and backing your team. The problem you have is you are talking trash for a team that hasn't been relevant in a long time. If NM can keep it within 2 tds then I will be impressed. However, I think WM walks away with it.

Isn't NM a step above Chatham Central???? One of the most irrelevant teams in the YVC. And they've always been since the days of the CTH. When it was WM, EM, UP, CC, Denton, JM, Northwood and NM it was a battle between NM and CC to see who could finish last. WM will whip up on NM and I fully expect a continuous clock in the second half.

Reactions: WestHeadHunter
Isn't NM a step above Chatham Central???? One of the most irrelevant teams in the YVC. And they've always been since the days of the CTH. When it was WM, EM, UP, CC, Denton, JM, Northwood and NM it was a battle between NM and CC to see who could finish last. WM will whip up on NM and I fully expect a continuous clock in the second half.
Haha ,I like that see ya Friday.

Oh you'll see WM Friday.... just like you have for the last 50 years. Beating that Mustang tail like it's our job!!!
I like this comment seems you have read the nm4life trash talking book ,thanks for joining me in the fun and not taking anything personal good luck Friday really should be a good game.

West seems down a notch this year compare to last couple of years but they still win by 4td,this week j.v gets a lot of playing time,

WM is not down a notch from the talent standpoint. They are just not playing to their potential as of yet. From what I'm hearing, we probably got some that are a little more worried about their highlight reels and individual stats. We knew that was going to be an issue going in because their is only one ball on the field at a time. When they get over that and start focusing on team goals, WM will be fine. Maybe this will be the week. We shall see.

Yes they are down a notch with talent in certain positions, not only certain players worry about stats but a certain dad, I hear this dad is in Eddins office a lot of mornings I guess to tell him the game plan, Eddins don't need his help bc he can coach.just saying!!!

I love nm4life's enthusiasm but us realistic NM fans realize we will have our hands full. We'll have to play lights out to keep it close. Our defense is much better though so hopefully that will help

Stangfan82, I am from an ear where success was measured by consistency. I asked this question a while ago and no one seemed like they wanted to answer. I know this is our year and with the veterans we have it should be. My concern is what next? I heard we don't even have another QB in the entire program. I respect the strides we have made but are they realistic i.e. program or talent? Help me out here Stangfan are we going to be okay after this season?

Mustang Magic, I think we will be ok but that depends on what you measure "consistency" as. Personally, I was pretty darned pleased with what we did last season. That was the best in about a decade. And we seem to be on track for another pretty good year although its very early. The days we had with Hicks from 87-94 are probably over but I think we can "consistently" field a solid team. As far as the QB thing, no I doubt we have anyone else who can step in and do what McCrimmon does now. I'm sure our coach will evaluate the talent he has and adjust accordingly. North Moore is not a school that is always going to have the same type of talent every year. At least not from what I've seen

Mustang Magic, I think we will be ok but that depends on what you measure "consistency" as. Personally, I was pretty darned pleased with what we did last season. That was the best in about a decade. And we seem to be on track for another pretty good year although its very early. The days we had with Hicks from 87-94 are probably over but I think we can "consistently" field a solid team. As far as the QB thing, no I doubt we have anyone else who can step in and do what McCrimmon does now. I'm sure our coach will evaluate the talent he has and adjust accordingly. North Moore is not a school that is always going to have the same type of talent every year. At least not from what I've seen
That's the most accurate take on NM in this thread as part of those teams that Hicks coached I would love to see them be that competitive again. Hope to see a good game on Friday GO MUSTANGS

I agree that Eddins is a great coach and needs no help. He is so great that if what you say is true, he would probably laugh when that daddy leaves his office. From my perspective, could we have run the ball and scored 100 points Friday night? Yes. Would that have helped us down the road? No. You will probably see the same passing attack in some more games too. You want to work on things to get better for down the road, but you can't work on the passing game when you are up 50 either. So far we have seen defenses stacking the box to stop the run. Thomasville, anyone? We need to be prepared when that happens down the road and we will not win anything other than the conference, maybe the conference, running only the wildcat in response to a stacked box. Just my opinion. Sorry if you thought I was trying to argue with you. That was not my intention.

Stangfan82,

I hail from that very era of Coach Hicks when the measure of success was heard every home game as the Friday night football crew landed on the baseball field and you could hear "Welcome to the Jungle".

I am just afraid that after such a long drought that our present success is short lived when McCrimmon and gang (Maness, Beck, Monroe, ,Richardson, Upchurch, Horner) etc. Leave. My biggest fear is we lose Coach Vogt after what will be his most successful season.

Man those were good times. Still can see the flashing red light from a distant on the Helicopter long before you could even hear it.

Stangfan82,

I hail from that very era of Coach Hicks when the measure of success was heard every home game as the Friday night football crew landed on the baseball field and you could hear "Welcome to the Jungle".

I am just afraid that after such a long drought that our present success is short lived when McCrimmon and gang (Maness, Beck, Monroe, ,Richardson, Upchurch, Horner) etc. Leave. My biggest fear is we lose Coach Vogt after what will be his most successful season.

Man those were good times. Still can see the flashing red light from a distant on the Helicopter long before you could even hear it.
I understand your concern but I'm just going to enjoy and support what we've got going currently. I'm sure coach could have left after last year's success if he wanted to and while we graduate a lot, we also have some talent coming back next year. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. GO MUSTANGS

I understand your concern but I'm just going to enjoy and support what we've got going currently. I'm sure coach could have left after last year's success if he wanted to and while we graduate a lot, we also have some talent coming back next year. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. GO MUSTANGS

Well said! GO MUSTANGS!

This week WM "should" get players back that we have missed the last couple of weeks. That is going to help. I think we have missed players every week so far. I can assure you NM fans that WM will be prepared and ready for war! I like that there are teams that are getting better in the YVC. That helps everybody gets ready for the playoffs. Now, I know those NM guys are hyped up after a win over South Stanly but come on! Have they really played anybody? You don't see WM people on here beating their chests after beating CC with our 2nd string and JV players. Besides, No team on earth can stop the "Fatback Dive"!

The Jim Hicks's era is one not likely to be duplicated, though not an impossibility. The wildcard is whether they can keep Coach Vogt from leaving. Hicks stayed a good long while, and remember, several of his teams started with multiple losses before picking up steam and capturing a CTH conference title or making a playoff run. The CTH years with Phil Senter at Jordan-Matthews, Jerry Daniels at East, and Hicks at NM will be difficult to match simply because coaches don't hang around as long. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Eddins is the longest tenured coach in the Yadkin Valley (and I still hate that name for the conference, by the way). After that it's Vogt at North Moore. Our conference's coaching carousal isn't helping to build a solid conference. To match what the Smoky Mountain Conference does year in and year out, we need four to five teams who can punch each other in the mouth on Friday nights to get teams ready for state championship runs. Going undefeated in the YVC has been more like those undefeated teams from the old Blue Ridge 1A conference who would come down out of Ashe County (or get traveled to) and then get blasted by a much lower seed in the first or second round of the state playoffs. I'd gladly traded two or three losses in conference a year for a state title as opposed to an undefeated conference run that resulted in a state title loss. I've read many a quote that slams NM or other YVC
team and how "Order needs to be restored" or things to that effect. Yet nothing is out of order. West is the class of the conference and should be favored this week. If North Moore wins, credit should be heaped on them for resurrecting a once proud program to a new level, and if nothing more, West fans should feel elated by a conference loss that could give them the needed incentive to make a true run for the a state title, and add much needed excitement to a rather stale conference. I hate the SEC in college football, but the fact remains it is the most exciting. On any given weekend somebody's going to get punched in the mouth. The end result is a conference who dominates the football landscape. This Friday hopefully will see a new Yadkin Valley Conference begin to take shape--one in which other conferences will pay attention to week in and week out as opposed to just round x of the state playoffs. The schools in this conference have a lot, and I mean a lot to be proud of. Pulling in crowds to our stadiums on Friday nights for some good ol' fashioned jawing, cheering, and referee-jeering will hopefully be commonplace at more than just West Montgomery or Albemarle. What if that list included comments such as "That pound it out full-house backfield attack of East Montgomery" or "Dang North Moore's passing and misdirection game" or "Chatham's run-and-shoot" etc. etc.? That would make spending that five spot a little more meaningful on Friday nights, and keep our coaches here at our schools longer.

And to those NM bashers who refer to the Mustangs as a "step above Chatham Central," don't demean all of your wins by admitting to...well....beating nobodies. It does your program no good to brag about being in a conference of losers. Instead, offer encouragement, accept challenges and fan bragging from a nm4life or gradepro as just that--fans at their fanatical best. It's part-n-parcel of the game we all love. North Moore has talent year in and year out. They always have. A very astute man once said "North Moore has one of the best crops of athletes in its school, every year I've been here, and when they find the right coach, you won't have that smile on your face." That man was West Montgomery's very own legend, the late James Garmon. Hicks and Vogt appear to have been the only two to fit that challenge over 51 years of Mustang football.

What I hope for Friday is an exciting game from start to finish by both schools. Hard hits, loud fan support, and safe journeys for all. What I fear most is a repeat of last year, when NM limped out of Mt. Gilead with a slew of injuries that devastated them in the remainder of the season. Avoiding the injury bug is critical for both teams, with East Montgomery looming in distance and North Stanly prepping to turn its rushing attack loose. I still believe our conference could be on to something big here if North Moore and East Montgomery can keep making a push...and that end result, win or lose during the regular season, can only yield positive results in the state playoffs.

Reactions: RD28327
I tell you one thing guys I played under coach hicks also ,me and 94mustang , and I have been pulling for my mustangs for years I really only heard of this website last year so that is why I have never been on here talking trash or I would have been years ago. I will tell you this i know a lot of these boys personally and they are no slouches they are strong and fast and don't give up they are in better shape this year and will not run out of steam like they did last season ,if I remember right NMHS was leading at the half and run out of steam the second half I just don't see that happening this year. Now as for next season I think they are going to be trouble ,but I hope the coaching staff can figure something out,I will say my son plays on jv and they are not up to par, mainly because the varsity is what's pays the bills if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
Good grief. I did not say one single thing in a demeaning way about NM with my comment on order being restored. Everything I have said has been about how improved they are and how impressed I have been with your coach and it should be a great game. Been saying it for 2 years. I give up. Sayonara guys. Have at it.

Last edited:
Mustangmagic, don't get overly concerned with quarterbacks and where they'll get them from. Looking back over even Hicks' tenure, Davis was what, 5-8 in cleats (but a lefty with scorching speed), Phillips was slow-footed and fumble prone, Garner was not prone to moving outside the pocket, C. Davis lost his starting role in his first game, and Stewart was 5-9, slow as an asphalt paving machine, and set the school record for most lost yards rushing. Yet he set a school record for TD passes and passing yardage that wasn't toppled until last year. And his slow-footed approach resulted in the only undefeated regular season in the school's history. What carried these teams were their strong defenses and powerful running games (Bryant, Thomas, T. Maness, A. Hackett, J. Hackett, Scotten, M. Maness.......). Coaching has made the difference. It has offset deficiencies and taught players to work within their abilities. In Hicks' span they ran the Power I, I, wishbone, inverted wishbone, and that memorable wild thing offense. And Stewart's passing success came out of the wishbone of all things. Keeping Coach Vogt at the helm will be the key to future success.

WMfanatic, no, no....I did not mean to imply anything negative towards any certain party. Have a go at it. Just trying offer a view on making this conference several tiers better. Hey, I sat in front of my tv at my home of over 20 years (which is 118 miles from Robbins) and pulled for West Montgomery last year in the state title game, and will do so again if they make it there. Even own a bright red WM tshirt. I'll be the first to apologize for coming across in the wrong manner. Never meant to.

Reactions: WARRIOR_PRIDE2005
What was the "Wild Thing" offense??? LOL I remember Coach HIcks spending time at UP in the mid to late 90s. Saw him this past Friday night at the J-M/UP game. The man is well traveled. I think he was an asistant at Pinecrest and maybe even Charlotte Myers Park before the first stint at NM in the mid 80s. I think after he left UP, he was also an assistant at Western Harnett, became head coach at Randleman for a few seasons, and was an assistant at Jordan-Matthews before his second stint in Robbins in 2005.

Stewart was 5-9, slow as an asphalt paving machine, and set the school record for most lost yards rushing. Yet he set a school record for TD passes and passing yardage that wasn't toppled until last year. And his slow-footed approach resulted in the only undefeated regular season in the school's history
I about spit my drink out on this one...lol You cant leave out LJ Brooks in those backs you mentioned or Lamont Dunlap. That was one great group of guys and quite possibly would have been the team that would have actually defeated West on the field.

Reactions: nm4life
The Jim Hicks's era is one not likely to be duplicated, though not an impossibility. The wildcard is whether they can keep Coach Vogt from leaving. Hicks stayed a good long while, and remember, several of his teams started with multiple losses before picking up steam and capturing a CTH conference title or making a playoff run. The CTH years with Phil Senter at Jordan-Matthews, Jerry Daniels at East, and Hicks at NM will be difficult to match simply because coaches don't hang around as long. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Eddins is the longest tenured coach in the Yadkin Valley (and I still hate that name for the conference, by the way). After that it's Vogt at North Moore. Our conference's coaching carousal isn't helping to build a solid conference. To match what the Smoky Mountain Conference does year in and year out, we need four to five teams who can punch each other in the mouth on Friday nights to get teams ready for state championship runs. Going undefeated in the YVC has been more like those undefeated teams from the old Blue Ridge 1A conference who would come down out of Ashe County (or get traveled to) and then get blasted by a much lower seed in the first or second round of the state playoffs. I'd gladly traded two or three losses in conference a year for a state title as opposed to an undefeated conference run that resulted in a state title loss. I've read many a quote that slams NM or other YVC
team and how "Order needs to be restored" or things to that effect. Yet nothing is out of order. West is the class of the conference and should be favored this week. If North Moore wins, credit should be heaped on them for resurrecting a once proud program to a new level, and if nothing more, West fans should feel elated by a conference loss that could give them the needed incentive to make a true run for the a state title, and add much needed excitement to a rather stale conference. I hate the SEC in college football, but the fact remains it is the most exciting. On any given weekend somebody's going to get punched in the mouth. The end result is a conference who dominates the football landscape. This Friday hopefully will see a new Yadkin Valley Conference begin to take shape--one in which other conferences will pay attention to week in and week out as opposed to just round x of the state playoffs. The schools in this conference have a lot, and I mean a lot to be proud of. Pulling in crowds to our stadiums on Friday nights for some good ol' fashioned jawing, cheering, and referee-jeering will hopefully be commonplace at more than just West Montgomery or Albemarle. What if that list included comments such as "That pound it out full-house backfield attack of East Montgomery" or "Dang North Moore's passing and misdirection game" or "Chatham's run-and-shoot" etc. etc.? That would make spending that five spot a little more meaningful on Friday nights, and keep our coaches here at our schools longer.

And to those NM bashers who refer to the Mustangs as a "step above Chatham Central," don't demean all of your wins by admitting to...well....beating nobodies. It does your program no good to brag about being in a conference of losers. Instead, offer encouragement, accept challenges and fan bragging from a nm4life or gradepro as just that--fans at their fanatical best. It's part-n-parcel of the game we all love. North Moore has talent year in and year out. They always have. A very astute man once said "North Moore has one of the best crops of athletes in its school, every year I've been here, and when they find the right coach, you won't have that smile on your face." That man was West Montgomery's very own legend, the late James Garmon. Hicks and Vogt appear to have been the only two to fit that challenge over 51 years of Mustang football.

What I hope for Friday is an exciting game from start to finish by both schools. Hard hits, loud fan support, and safe journeys for all. What I fear most is a repeat of last year, when NM limped out of Mt. Gilead with a slew of injuries that devastated them in the remainder of the season. Avoiding the injury bug is critical for both teams, with East Montgomery looming in distance and North Stanly prepping to turn its rushing attack loose. I still believe our conference could be on to something big here if North Moore and East Montgomery can keep making a push...and that end result, win or lose during the regular season, can only yield positive results in the state playoffs.

Bob Pegram at CC is the longest tenured coach in the YVC. WM/NM should be a good game this week.

Mustangmagic, don't get overly concerned with quarterbacks and where they'll get them from. Looking back over even Hicks' tenure, Davis was what, 5-8 in cleats (but a lefty with scorching speed), Phillips was slow-footed and fumble prone, Garner was not prone to moving outside the pocket, C. Davis lost his starting role in his first game, and Stewart was 5-9, slow as an asphalt paving machine, and set the school record for most lost yards rushing. Yet he set a school record for TD passes and passing yardage that wasn't toppled until last year. And his slow-footed approach resulted in the only undefeated regular season in the school's history. What carried these teams were their strong defenses and powerful running games (Bryant, Thomas, T. Maness, A. Hackett, J. Hackett, Scotten, M. Maness.......). Coaching has made the difference. It has offset deficiencies and taught players to work within their abilities. In Hicks' span they ran the Power I, I, wishbone, inverted wishbone, and that memorable wild thing offense. And Stewart's passing success came out of the wishbone of all things. Keeping Coach Vogt at the helm will be the key to future success.

NM88,

I can assure you I have all of the respect in the world for Coach Vogt, but do you seriously think he is NOT a QB coach?

My concern is a legitimate one aND as eloquently as NM4LIFE stated, after this season I fear the strides made change the level of expectations and then what?

I love the fact that we will no doubt return an all state running back and a HUGE lineman and a great Defensive back/end but without a QB that is mobile,smart, and has a good arm where will that leave us.

Your comment suggest that a QB can be made from the unlikely. I agree with that sentiment except in Coach Vogt's system. I would dare say McCrimmon is the system. If we can't pass then Tyreke will have long night every time out.

If that is how Vogt works, then he becomes the program's Achilles heel, and he'll bolt after this season. This again would reemphasize my concern about coaches jumping ship early. Great coaching staffs know when and how to adapt to the strengths of a team.

T

RD28327, Hicks' Wild Thing offense had to be seen, but basically it was the center and QB, with everybody else 10-15 yards away in a variety of formations.

94, App State's LJ Brooks is certainly up there...just too many great backs from that time to recall.

Thanks Throwit...I thought Pegram at CC stepped down. I stand corrected.

Reactions: ThrowItAround
NM88,

I can assure you I have all of the respect in the world for Coach Vogt, but do you seriously think he is NOT a QB coach?

My concern is a legitimate one aND as eloquently as NM4LIFE stated, after this season I fear the strides made change the level of expectations and then what?

I love the fact that we will no doubt return an all state running back and a HUGE lineman and a great Defensive back/end but without a QB that is mobile,smart, and has a good arm where will that leave us.

Your comment suggest that a QB can be made from the unlikely. I agree with that sentiment except in Coach Vogt's system. I would dare say McCrimmon is the system. If we can't pass then Tyreke will have long night every time out.
Like I said before and NM88 stated, I'm sure our coach will adjust to the talent he has. You don't have to throw the ball a bunch to win. We got a QB who can throw, so we use him. If we don't have a guy that can throw it very well, I'm sure we'll run something different. I don't know what he ran when he was a head coach in Florida but I know he coached at Pinecrest and they don't throw it much. You do what your players are capable of. That's why he's the coach and he's shown he's pretty good. He and his staff will figure it out. Good night fellas. Go Mustangs!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT