ADVERTISEMENT

Weathers Creek High

Vik-Val 86

May 20, 2020
My understanding is that Iredell-Statesville accepted $143 million dollar bid for the school to be built in Troutman. Dont know all the details but I’m sure it will be state of the art school. Will be interesting to see what schools they will draw from. South Iredell I’m sure will be one of them.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
I have a nephew on County Commission and while I am sure ultimately the additional money will be provided, there may, most likely will, be fireworks along the way.
I just attended the Lake Norman HS Graduation of 530 +/- seniors. Lake Norman needs to contribute some to the new school.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
Now I’m seeing Iredell commissioners reject the plan for the new high school. My thoughts the Longer they wait the worst price tag is going to get.

Iredell Co is a joke. 143 million for the school is far less then other school district spending for new school as 1 was 160 in Cabarrus Co

Trying to save Pennies on the dollar is ludicrous because all Iredell co knows how to do is build build build but yet wanna take money out for this project so they can use it elsewhere- Weather creek is needed due to overcrowding and overgrowth in Mooresville.

Iredell co is a joke and is scared to plan for the future and ain’t progressive enough. Cabarrus Co has done a far better job and even CMS done for better job then Iredell Co! This is why Iredell co is a laughing stock bc our Gov Officals worry about wrong things - At this point Weather Creek may not open for another 2-3-4 year if Gov officials wanna keep trying to interfere with the progress of getting it done.

Woo be me to defend any city or county governing body (I was a local government employee for 12 years and City Manager for 8 of those) but in this case their is a lot that was really questionable beginning with the the selection of the site, and the extreme under estimation of the site work required before even one bit of construction was to start.

The location is another that cold be revisited and then the county elected several really questionable school board members. I would contend that Iredell is repeating what it sowed several years ago.

So in my humble and distanced opinion, the question is what happens now? Unfortunately no matter what happens, it will not be cheap, maybe not even reasonable in terms of dollars.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
County commissioners balked a few years back on the 100+ million dollar bid. Said it was too high. Then inflation blow the roof off and the bids went to the 200+ million dollar range. Too much penny pinching by the cc cost the district dearly. There will be no new high school build in Irdell under 175 million. It's not possible. Add to their woes, there's no large tracts of land left in the southern/central county area where a high school can fit, other than the strange tract that Weathers Creek is planned for. It's at the end of a winding, almost one lane dead end road outside of Troutman, 6 miles from South Iredell. You can see the plans on the Iredell Statesville School's website under "Schools." There is already a school page for Weathers Creek. Now, whether Weathers Creek will rise from the dirt in the next five years is a true mystery. Too many errors made, just like with the planning of Lake Norman High. Despite the arguments to build a 2000-2500 capacity school, only a 1400 capacity school was built on the dead end Dooley Road. Weathers Creek will draw from LKN and SI, and will be over capacity upon opening. There's no way around the growth that's coming up from Charlotte. Truth be told, Iredell is going to need THREE new high schools in the next decade, all along I-77 headed north through the county.

Last edited:
Mooresville just passed another development development for 350 units which add 1,100 car and up to 3,000 residents in one of the worst locations in Mooresville which is Alcove road

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT