ADVERTISEMENT

Thomasville @ Newton Conover 1st round

Lets get it started...been awhile since these 2 teams played each other,thinking maybe in the mid 90's

Thomasville is a very Hot team right now,let's keep this train rolling boys
1995. Dogs won 14-7 at N-C.
Cold as all get out. As we were leaving, two attractive blondes rode by in a convertible with the top down, waving beer bottles. Looked at me and one screamed “I’m from rootin’, tootin’ Newton, and I don’t raise nothin’ but ‘maters, ‘taters and hell!”.
Hard to forget Newton.

Thomasville is 3-0 all time against Newton-Conover with the last game being played in 1995. NC has played a tough schedule but just from a look at their roster on MaxPreps they seem to be very similar to Thomasville in speed and play style. The last time Thomasville played legit speed across the field was against Salisbury very early in the season so it will be interesting to see how we play.

Reactions: BulldogJacket85
Wow, been a while since we faced NC. They beat a good East and West Lincoln teams and had a heart breaker against Maiden in 2 OT. Should be a good game!

1995. Dogs won 14-7 at N-C.
Cold as all get out. As we were leaving, two attractive blondes rode by in a convertible with the top down, waving beer bottles. Looked at me and one screamed “I’m from rootin’, tootin’ Newton, and I don’t raise nothin’ but ‘maters, ‘taters and hell!”.
Hard to forget Newton.
:D:D:D

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
I think thomasville may be better. But NC usually starts stirring up things come playoffs. No clue who will win this game honestly.

Good luck to the Bulldogs. Coach Roberson has done an excellent job as I thought he would when he was hired. How did ya'll lose to Montgomery Central? They aren't very good?
They hit us where we are weakest and that’s up the gut with a huge running back...also players that are starring for us now did not play as much that early in the season such as #24, #13, #55, and #62. We were also playing a completely different offensive scheme now than when we were then.

Early in the year...we'd steamroll them now...Brown or no Brown
Good luck to the Bulldogs. Coach Roberson has done an excellent job as I thought he would when he was hired. How did ya'll lose to Montgomery Central? They aren't very good?

They hit us where we are weakest and that’s up the gut with a huge running back...also players that are starring for us now did not play as much that early in the season such as #24, #13, #55, and #62. We were also playing a completely different offensive scheme now than when we were then.

Yep, this team is night and day compared to the first 5 games of the season. Probably be undefeated or have 1 loss with the way they are playing right now.

Early in the year...we'd steamroll them now...Brown or no Brown
Not so sure about that. I like how hot we are now, and 24 makes a huge difference on offense! But Mont. Central has played a killer schedule, look at the teams that beat them! And as much as we all remember how well Brown was prepared for the playoffs, I would hate to have to face him this time of year, new team with losing record or not. I'm glad we don't have to worry about them in the playoffs. But I think we can get Newton Conover the way we are playing now!

Reactions: TVILLEDAWG2370
Respectfully disagree...we'd steamroll them now
Not so sure about that. I like how hot we are now, and 24 makes a huge difference on offense! But Mont. Central has played a killer schedule, look at the teams that beat them! And as much as we all remember how well Brown was prepared for the playoffs, I would hate to have to face him this time of year, new team with losing record or not. I'm glad we don't have to worry about them in the playoffs. But I think we can get Newton Conover the way we are playing now!

Reactions: ThsFans
THS-NC is a game that used to mean alot, so its good to see it happening once again. Both teams are solid, but the difference in the game will be at QB. The NC QB runs backwards alot and just throws it up for grabs alot. Dogs will force turnovers and win by 3-4 TD's.

Thomasville's QB is only good for scrambling. His QB rating is a 64 this year. His average is below a 60 for the past 3 years. Newton's got good options, especially running the ball right up the middle. Their running backs are solid, and their QB can scramble well too. Thomasville is a good team, and it should be a pretty good game. I've got Newton winning 21-17 ONLY because they're playing at home. Those Newton fans get pretty rowdy!

Reactions: SCRballer

True but we played so terrible early in the season I thought we wouldn't make the playoffs. Players didn't look confident at all. MC is West and East Montgomery combined, they'll be fine with the schedule. Wouldn't be surprised if they win that conference next year.

Reactions: ThsFans
There are understandable reasons why Thomasville scheduled their non-conference foes.
The Red Dogs and the Blue Dogs have a strong history and tradition. Added to the fact that, when this recent series first started, Albemarle appeared to be on the chopping block. That didn’t sit well with most Thomasville fans, and playing them was, in some small way, an effort to help them remain viable. Most of our folks could empathize with their situation.
Montgomery Central, obviously is mostly about our history with the Browns and should produce some good gates.

Coach Robertson appears to have the same philosophy of playing up or down to avoid playing teams that you may see again in the playoffs. That drove the Browns’ scheduling mentality for forty years. (Sorry if that bursts the bubble of some fans over High Point way).
I’d love to see Mount Airy or Davie County again. Some great games historically. But we’ll have to see where realignment puts us, I’m sure.

There are understandable reasons why Thomasville scheduled their non-conference foes.
The Red Dogs and the Blue Dogs have a strong history and tradition. Added to the fact that, when this recent series first started, Albemarle appeared to be on the chopping block. That didn’t sit well with most Thomasville fans, and playing them was, in some small way, an effort to help them remain viable. Most of our folks could empathize with their situation.
Montgomery Central, obviously is mostly about our history with the Browns and should produce some good gates.

Coach Robertson appears to have the same philosophy of playing up or down to avoid playing teams that you may see again in the playoffs. That drove the Browns’ scheduling mentality for forty years. (Sorry if that bursts the bubble of some fans over High Point way).
I’d love to see Mount Airy or Davie County again. Some great games historically. But we’ll have to see where realignment puts us, I’m sure.

T ville would beat both High point teams this year. But I like you guys playing mount airy and davie county instead of the current schedule.

True but we played so terrible early in the season I thought we wouldn't make the playoffs. Players didn't look confident at all. MC is West and East Montgomery combined, they'll be fine with the schedule. Wouldn't be surprised if they win that conference next year.
Yes you are so right. We are really peaking at the right time. I think our coach and staff are doing a great job! But I was just saying I would hate to meet any team coached by the Browns during playoff time, even if they did poorly during the regular season. Playoff preparation is their specialty -- although they did not make the playoffs this year.

I like Thomasville in this one. Newton is a team that looks like a contender but will let you down. They try to out athlete everyone on the outside and that will not work against the Dawgs. If you stop number 3 then you will have a pretty good shot, I would not kick to him.

Reactions: bknights#77
I think Tville may be a little overrated. They've had a nice finish, but I'm not sure they're as good as they think they are. I'm going with NC in this one.

Reactions: SCRballer
Well, tf336, how good do they think the are? Since you seem to know. Or, do you mean the fans?

rooting for THS in this one....if Reidsville gets by Forbush tonite (which they should)...it would set up a match between THS and RSH that hasn't happened since the fall of 2004....also a return of Doug Robertson of THS (former Reidsville player, ass't coach at Reidsville and head coach for the Rams for the 3 years that Jimmy Teague was on Sabbatical)....looking forward to it..............................

Last edited:
rooting for THS in this one....if Reidsville gets by Forbush tonite (which they should)...it would set up a match between THS and RSH that hasn't happened since the fall of 2003....also a return of Doug Robertson of THS (former Reidsville player, ass't coach at Reidsville and head coach for the Rams for the 3 years that Jimmy Teague was on Sabbatical)....looking forward to it..............................

I think we played thomasville in 2004. But this is a very intriguing game. Even if newton wins it’s sets up a rematch of the state championship in 2009 and the classic game in 2006.

Reactions: Rammer16
I think we played thomasville in 2004. But this is a very intriguing game. Even if newton wins it’s sets up a rematch of the state championship in 2009 and the classic game in 2006.
my bad...good catch....Reidsville last played Thomasville in 2004....with Rams winning 34-0.............

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT