ADVERTISEMENT

Thomasville job open; Gillespie has retired

The job was Benji’s if he wanted it. But there were other factors in play and it didn’t work out.
That whole mess ended up being a bunch of bs didn't it? Or was it legit. Guy knows a lot of football. What about Dickie is he still coaching there?

Is there a way to apply for the job ? I have someone who is interested but it isn’t posted but I would assume since they need a New Principal and AD it may not get posted at all?

Dickie Cline coached at Thomasville this past football season.
I would assume a letter of interest for any of the jobs could be sent to the superintendent.

Reactions: BlueDevil1996
Article in multiple papers today. Coach Ann Ferguson who has had great success as coach of Thomasville’s men’s basketball team, is going to Ledford for the same position. Big loss for the program.

Reactions: kingbluedevil
Article in multiple papers today. Coach Ann Ferguson who has had great success as coach of Thomasville’s men’s basketball team, is going to Ledford for the same position. Big loss for the program.
Coach Ferguson was just named as the Region 5 winner of the NCHSAA Homer Thompson “Eight Who Make a Difference” award.
More than just a coach.

Counting the AD job, there are at least eleven coaching positions open at Thomasville High School.
Here are the only three coaching jobs posted on the school system’s website and the date of their initial posting:
Middle School assistant baseball coach (6/23)
Assistant women’s basketball (11/23)
Head tennis (1/24)
But believe it or not, that’s not the worst problem. The number of open jobs for certified teachers in core subjects is staggering.

I’ve attended Thomasville football games for over sixty years and had reserved season tickets for forty. But it’s becoming virtually impossible to support that school system.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
OC. Just curious, and you may not have answer, But is Lexington in same shape. I know they had a revolving door of football coaches, but seem to have a good one now.

OC. Just curious, and you may not have answer, But is Lexington in same shape. I know they had a revolving door of football coaches, but seem to have a good one now.
They have certainly had a revolving door. Not too sure about their current situation.

Current situation for LSHS football is better with Morman in control. They need to be sure to keep him happy cause it could fall apart quickly.
Like I said bf I think THS needs to hire a quality alumni to protect the program.

Reactions: reddawg01
Current situation for LSHS football is better with Morman in control. They need to be sure to keep him happy cause it could fall apart quickly.
Like I said bf I think THS needs to hire a quality alumni to protect the program.
I would agree if they have proven head coaching experience. This is not a job to train on. Though it could quickly become one.

I would agree if they have proven head coaching experience. This is not a job to train on. Though it could quickly become one.
at this point it's going to have to be one to train on. We're half way through June, chances of us getting a proven head coach at this point is slim to none unless someone is being brought out of retirement. And it wont be the first time in the past 10 years we've had an unproven coach. I could be wrong but i strongly feel the predicament we are in now, we have to take what we can get.

at this point it's going to have to be one to train on. We're half way through June, chances of us getting a proven head coach at this point is slim to none unless someone is being brought out of retirement. And it wont be the first time in the past 10 years we've had an unproven coach. I could be wrong but i strongly feel the predicament we are in now, we have to take what we can get.
According to maxpreps you don’t even have a complete schedule? Only 7 games….I don’t see anyway to get games now it’s so late

Yes, it’s late and the situation is not good.

As I stated bf, the proven coach would have to be someone with ties to the community and someone that LOVES the community.

Yes, it’s late and the situation is not good.

As I stated bf, the proven coach would have to be someone with ties to the community and someone that LOVES the community.
I completely agree! I wish that approach would've been taken years ago, the situation might not be as bad.

The last time we hired an unproven head coach set the program back ten years. You may be right that attracting a proven coach is a huge challenge. But we’ve seen how hard it is to get rid of one that isn’t a good fit.
At this point, I’m far more concerned about getting a competent principal and AD in place. Still haven’t posted those.

Reactions: ITJ and sbbbfan
Only 4 teams in conference?
the games that it is missing on maxpreps is north rowan, west davidson and south davidson. all of which is conference opponents. maxpreps just seems incomplete with the schedule right now and it is normally like that every year. They have a full schedule

Who was unproven? Mattera came to THS with a 4 year record of 34-14 (2010-2013). Maxwell had a 10-win season at Ledford (2001) before toiling in obscurity for 8 years with Allegheny and N Wilkes as a HC (2003-2007, 2009). Robertson’s record speaks for itself (2009 State Champion @ Reidsville; 2016 State Runner-Up @ E. Guilford). And then Gillispie taking Page to 3 state title games with 1 Championship. So after Allen Brown retired for the final time, which one was “unproven” as a HC?

Reactions: Slasher Killer
Who was unproven? Mattera came to THS with a 4 year record of 34-14 (2010-2013). Maxwell had a 10-win season at Ledford (2001) before toiling in obscurity for 8 years with Allegheny and N Wilkes as a HC (2003-2007, 2009). Robertson’s record speaks for itself (2009 State Champion @ Reidsville; 2016 State Runner-Up @ E. Guilford). And then Gillispie taking Page to 3 state title games with 1 Championship. So after Allen Brown retired for the final time, which one was “unproven” as a HC?
Let’s just say that one winning season doesn’t constitute proven experience. And being able to drum up support in the community is a huge part of the job in a place like Thomasville. Most of our coaches have had that ability.

I and much of the community feel that that hire was nothing more than a buddy buddy hire but hey, we all know what they say about opinions. I feel as though he is a good person but i agree with OC when it comes to 1 winning season 14 years prior does not make you a proven coach. I can go on and on about this but i'll leave it there. I do feel as if they tried to right the ship a little with the hires after the first two but at that point the community was lost a little. You could see them starting to come back and start supporting more but then we end up here and i just feel like the question remains the same....could this all have been prevented if some others had been given a go

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT