ADVERTISEMENT

This week in the SMC

Dont think it would have mattered what the dogs brought. Hayesville came out as hot as they have been all year had one player with 14 in the first quarter.
Hayesville is playing great ball. Swain is also playing good and putting up big numbers

I’m not going to look past Rosman tonight but the real test will be Friday against Swain in Andrews. Swain has found their groove and putting up some big numbers.

Don’t let the beating Andrews gave Towns early mislead you, I think the game at Towns Saturday will be the bigger test for Andrews this week. Towns is much tougher at home if you look at their results, and have won 5 in a row playing in a league of mostly Athens area private schools.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
Don’t let the beating Andrews gave Towns early mislead you, I think the game at Towns Saturday will be the bigger test for Andrews this week. Towns is much tougher at home if you look at their results, and have won 5 in a row playing in a league of mostly Athens area private schools.
I see a possible 5 losses for the Wildcats if they don’t start playing as a team. Each starter needs to step their game up and they need to get more movement on offense. Swain, Towns, Hayesville, Cherokee & Murphy coming up. They have the potential to have a good season but it’s going to take the whole team

team is solid full of great kids but lack luster coaching is what hurts the wildcats. You put Cottrell at Andrews and they are still undefeated this year. The Wildcats are not instructed to run any offense, they run pick and roll and iso ball that does not work against good defensive teams. If they actually ran set plays for Ellis to give him good three point looks they would be a nightmare to guard.

team is solid full of great kids but lack luster coaching is what hurts the wildcats. You put Cottrell at Andrews and they are still undefeated this year. The Wildcats are not instructed to run any offense, they run pick and roll and iso ball that does not work against good defensive teams. If they actually ran set plays for Ellis to give him good three point looks they would be a nightmare to guard.
That is a load of crap!

listen sometimes people get upset over factual statements, but Andrews tries to play a lot of open gym, one on one style basketball and does not work against good functional defensive teams. I have seen Andrews play three times and in each game they barely run any type of flex or motion or screen run throughs for shooters. They bank on beating people one on one or off of pick and roll. That is a hard way to continually play and puts too much pressure on one or two players to create everything.

listen sometimes people get upset over factual statements, but Andrews tries to play a lot of open gym, one on one style basketball and does not work against good functional defensive teams. I have seen Andrews play three times and in each game they barely run any type of flex or motion or screen run throughs for shooters. They bank on beating people one on one or off of pick and roll. That is a hard way to continually play and puts too much pressure on one or two players to create everything.

I don’t think it is a bad thing to give two really good guards freedom to create. The knock in the past is that they’ve been too married to flex. Darned if you do, darned if you don’t I guess. The wide open “controlled chaos” style will work against slow down defensive teams, but you have to impose your will and speed them up.

I don’t think it is a bad thing to give two really good guards freedom to create. The knock in the past is that they’ve been too married to flex. Darned if you do, darned if you don’t I guess. The wide open “controlled chaos” style will work against slow down defensive teams, but you have to impose your will and speed them up.
We are blessed with 2 great players and I agree that we need to impose our will and speed the game up. We are like the Tarheels, we do better when we run the court not to good though in our half court offense. I love the 2 have the freedom to do iso but I would like to see them kick it out when the other teams are collapsing on them. Having said that the other players need to learn spacing and where to be to get open looks and make the shots. I think we are a hard team to beat when all players are involved. Basketball is like any other sport, you just have to tweak and make a few adjustments through out a game. Go Cats

Seems like it has worked all year as they are 13-1 and only loss was on road at a tough place by 4. Basketball is a sport where you let your players play freely and you get the best results. I'm sure the coach knows that and lets his players be themselves. Why run a slow flex when you have guys that can put it in the basket at a frequent rate? Seem like Andrews is fine and will be a tough out in the playoffs. Sometimes, fans should enjoy a team for what they are, who they are and stop worrying about things they have no business worrying about. Support the team because it seems like they are going to be good for the next couple of years. Sounds like a fun team and players to watch. Enjoy it!

Lackluster coaching?! Hah. Man you’re funny. Hayesville is lucky they came away with a W at their place against the Cats. 5 point game. You didn’t exactly dominate. Looks like you’re just spewing from the mouth to say stuff like that.

Last edited:
Cats played well tonight against a much improved and dangerous Swain team. Poor shooting night from the free throw line. If we would have shot even 60% we would have out up triple digits and possibly won by 20-30+. Swain played tough. And for the record, Coach Maennle is doing a great job, and is probably the best coach Andrews has had in the 30 years I have watched them
Yeah he’s just mad that Hayesville has competition. A coach that is as good as Cottrell

Cats played well tonight against a much improved and dangerous Swain team. Poor shooting night from the free throw line. If we would have shot even 60% we would have out up triple digits and possibly won by 20-30+. Swain played tough. And for the record, Coach Maennle is doing a great job, and is probably the best coach Andrews has had in the 30 years I have watched them
Hate I missed it but looking at the stats that’s the kind of game I like to see. When you have Five players in double figures that is hard to beat ! Team shot 59% from the floor and 39% 3pt. Only shot 30% from free throw and missed 26. If we could have made half of those and shot 60% we could have won by nearly 30. The ceiling for this young team is high and once they hit full potential it’s going to be beautiful to watch. Another tough game tonight at Towns County. Go Cats

Hate I missed it but looking at the stats that’s the kind of game I like to see. When you have Five players in double figures that is hard to beat ! Team shot 59% from the floor and 39% 3pt. Only shot 30% from free throw and missed 26. If we could have made half of those and shot 60% we could have won by nearly 30. The ceiling for this young team is high and once they hit full potential it’s going to be beautiful to watch. Another tough game tonight at Towns County. Go Cats

B Holloway hitting 3/4 from deep is a big stat I see from last night. He has a much better touch than he’s shown this year, but I think he’s been adjusting to the speed of real games vs. the speed of the pickup ball against old men and travel ball with slack D and tired legs that he saw in his year off. If he starts consistently knocking down the 3 and people have to worry about the pick and pop along with the pick and roll, it is going to take a ton of pressure off T Holloway and Ellis.

B Holloway hitting 3/4 from deep is a big stat I see from last night. He has a much better touch than he’s shown this year, but I think he’s been adjusting to the speed of real games vs. the speed of the pickup ball against old men and travel ball with slack D and tired legs that he saw in his year off. If he starts consistently knocking down the 3 and people have to worry about the pick and pop along with the pick and roll, it is going to take a ton of pressure off T Holloway and Ellis.
Exactly. That’s what I meant by my earlier comment. Once all starters get involved in the game and know where to be and start knocking down shots this team is going to be a hard stop. If other players are contributing other teams can’t slack off guarding them which opens up the lane. Teamwork is essential and when you have five guys in double figures it proves it works.

Cottrell has won 11/21 conference championships, Maennles been coaching during that period but can't touch Cottrells career. Has he beat him some yes but, Cottrell is the premier coach in the league and will be until he retires.

Reactions: Hhs98
Maybe so. But Hayesville is also a basketball school. The top athletes come out for basketball. Swain was a football school. Andrews is more of a basketball school somewhat and look at what he has done there. Cottrell has been blessed with some of the best talent in the conference through the years. Some of those Hayesville teams could have been coached by a nobody and still won conference. No doubt he is a good coach. But leaps and bounds better? Not even remotely.

Reactions: therealsquid
No Cottrell made them into the basketball school they are now look at his first few years there he built the program and is the only coach to over win a state championship so yes he is above and beyond no doubt. We all have opinions and you know what people say about opinions but stats don't lie.

No Cottrell made them into the basketball school they are now look at his first few years there he built the program and is the only coach to over win a state championship so yes he is above and beyond no doubt. We all have opinions and you know what people say about opinions but stats don't lie.
He is not above and beyond. Like I said he has had talent to work with that most other have not had in a very long time. He is not above and beyond. He is the best coach in the conference but Frank Maennle is not far behind

You’re right. Stats don’t lie.
Andrews 14-1
Hayesville 15-2
Andrews lost to Hayesville by 5 at Hayesville
Hayesville lost to Towns County by 3.
Andrews beat Towns County by 45.
Hayesville lost to Franklin by 1.
If Cottrell is so much better of a coach than Maennle. How did he lose to a Franklin team that lost to Cherokee. How did he lose to a Towns County team that Andrews beat by 45? Since he’s head over heels better than everyone else in the conference at coaching... Makes it seems like that’s all that matters.

Coach Solesbee won a girls state championship and was runner up in state for the boys. But is he a better coach than Cottrell? Not even close. Maybe back in the day. Much respect for Coach Solesbee but he just isn’t Cottrell.

Andrews 14-1
Hayesville 15-2
If Cottrell is so much better of a coach than Maennle. How did he lose to a Franklin team that lost to Cherokee. How did he lose to a Towns County team that Andrews beat by 45? Since he’s head over heels better than everyone else in the conference at coaching... Makes it seems like that’s all that matters.

Cherokee beat Franklin at home. Hayesville lost by 1 AT Franklin, where Cherokee lost by 30. Hayesville beat Towns at home and lost at Towns, where Andrews also just lost.

Reactions: 13bc9fc
Cottrell supporter too huh? Where did I ever say that Cottrell was a bad coach? Just think Frank deserves some credit here.

I played on arguably one of the most talented teams to come through Andrews. We didn’t have the wins to show for it because our coaching killed us. We were big, fast, and could shoot. If Frank would have been coaching us those few years, Hayesville wouldn’t have touched us nor would anyone else for that matter. But we were plagued because of coaching.

Of course I think Cottrell is a great coach. And I’ve never said anything negative about Maennle. I think he gets them to play extremely hard and I like the adjustments he’s made to fit his personnel this year. It isn’t a zero sum proposition.

I played on arguably one of the most talented teams to come through Andrews. We didn’t have the wins to show for it because our coaching killed us. We were big, fast, and could shoot. If Frank would have been coaching us those few years, Hayesville wouldn’t have touched us nor would anyone else for that matter. But we were plagued because of coaching.

I thought some teams were so talented they could be coached by nobody and win conference?

Reactions: Hhs98 and recycled2
Of course I think Cottrell is a great coach. And I’ve never said anything negative about Maennle. I think he gets them to play extremely hard and I like the adjustments he’s made to fit his personnel this year. It isn’t a zero sum proposition.
It was more directed toward 13bc... he hasn’t gave credit where it’s due. I even stated that Cottrell was a great coach

It was more directed toward 13bc... he hasn’t gave credit where it’s due. I even stated that Cottrell was a great coach

I will agree that this whole string of posts started with an unnecessary shot at Andrews’ coaching and a view they don’t run enough sets. Must not remember that Hayesville won a state title running a freelance motion almost exclusively, or how Maennle’s teams have relied heavily on flex in the past. Good coaches adjust based on their personnel, and I think both are doing what fits them best this year.

I will agree that this whole string of posts started with an unnecessary shot at Andrews’ coaching and a view they don’t run enough sets. Must not remember that Hayesville won a state title running a freelance motion almost exclusively, or how Maennle’s teams have relied heavily on flex in the past. Good coaches adjust based on their personnel, and I think both are doing what fits them best this year.
Thank you kind sir

Andrews 14-1
Hayesville 15-2

How did Andrews lose to a team they beat by 45? I think this discussion is useless, but I am curious how this fits into your reasoning.

Reactions: Hhs98 and 13bc9fc
For one. Towns County’s best player didn’t play against Andrews the first game. For two we are playing at their place this time.

Franklin@Hayesville tonight should be a really good game, Yellow Jackets seem to be trending in the right direction, it appears coach Cottrell is getting his team playing their best ball at the right time.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
I think some of that may be due to their big kid thats out he is their best player, got a sprained ankle so who knows could be back tonight or out another 5 games

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
You never know when something like the flu or injury can change your season. Andrews had 2 ankle injuries and a nose. In 1A that’s about impossible to overcome especially when it’s 2 starters and a key sub. All you can do is next man up and trust in your team. It’s late in the season and only 7 games to go or 2 weeks before tournament. Depending on how bad the flu or ankle or nose is it’s possible a player could be out a minimum of a week. Hate to see it but the games will go on

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT