ADVERTISEMENT

This week in the SMC

Hope they play on a Saturday so I can drive and watch it

The only way Andrews var. boys will play on Saturday is if they lose to Hayesville and Cherokee defeats Hayesville. A win vs the Jackets guarantees Andrews at least 2nd place. Now this could change depending on what Mother Nature does.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
The only way Andrews var. boys will play on Saturday is if they lose to Hayesville and Cherokee defeats Hayesville. A win vs the Jackets guarantees Andrews at least 2nd place. Now this could change depending on what Mother Nature does.
Recycle did you coach basketball at Hayesville in the mid 70’s

I believe recycled was there in the 60’s and 70’s! :D
Ok I believe I know him from those days. I played in the late 70’s against the late David Bell, Benny Wimpy also David Guest. They also had a tall red head but his name has left me. Had some great battles and the girls for Andrews & Hayesville was just a war in the mid 70’s. Good times

I believe recycled was there in the 60’s and 70’s! :D

Not hardly. Train your dad started coaching in the mid 70's. Cat you are right those were some fun years. Both schools would probably have more girls titles but it was open division until 1977. Andrews won the first girls 1A title that year.

Not hardly. Train your dad started coaching in the mid 70's. Cat you are right those were some fun years. Both schools would probably have more girls titles but it was open division until 1977. Andrews won the first girls 1A title that year.
That’s true. Cindy Saltz and Cissy Bristol were ballers and the gyms were packed and loud. Maybe it was Trains dad I was thinking of but anyway it was heated battles and fun to be a part of. Coach Solesbee & Coach Barton was our Coaches and had only been coaching a few years when this rivalry began

I could have sworn u were older! LOL

I bet Hayesville is happy the game got moved. They probably wouldn’t have PG if game was played tonight. He’s been out last couple games I heard
Well the only downfall is Andrews and Cherokee back to back!

I bet Hayesville is happy the game got moved. They probably wouldn’t have PG if game was played tonight. He’s been out last couple games I heard
It’s late in the season and those nagging injuries and flu season can make a difference in a game. I really hope both teams have all players back and healthy for this game

Reactions: 13bc9fc
Hayesville @ Andrews huge game tonight should be lots of fun for those that can fit in the gym haha. I expect an awesome environment, hopefully we get a decent set of referees and it can be decided by the teams. With Andrews big man out though I am really interested to see what they work up to slow McTaggart down. Hayesville has been shooting much better lately and I am not sure zoning them would be a smart solution.

that would be great If Holloway plays tonight I really hope both teams are as close to full strength as possible. Not worth beating a team if they dont have all their pieces or at least it doesnt mean as much. If Andrews puts Tucker on McTaggart I would imagine that may mean he would not be as effective on offense as it would probably wear him out. Hoping for a great game.

Well it’s game night and both teams will bring their best they can after a long intense season. Let’s hope that these young men can compete at a high level and leave it all on the court. I believe both schools would like to see 3 good officials who call consistently all night and not decide the game with a night of constant free throws.

Reactions: 13bc9fc
Did Trammel play? I think she missed a game or two and I see her in a boot last week.

Hayesville conference champs beat Andrews 63-54 great game but Hayesville played a little better tonight

His brilliance shines so bright!
If you're talking to me, big time player but skeptical it changes the end result tonight. Who knows for sure, I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time or the last.

Either way one team has won the games they were suppose to all season and the other didnt even when they were full strength, so in my eyes that is not what I would call equal, consistency matters.

With that said a full strength Robbinsville is certainly talented enough to beat anybody in 1A on a given night. It won't surprise me if these two teams see each other again in the playoffs, not to mention conference tourney.

Last edited:
Considering the game was fairly close in the first half, 2 pt game with 3 minutes left in second qtr, and our leading rebounder having to play the point, I’d say it may have made a difference. Not saying we would have won at all, but we got destroyed on the boards and never got into our offense when we made a move at point to get bigger on the boards. That’s when you pulled away.

It was a great game. Hats off to the Hayesville boys they always play good ball. He blew the whistle often in the 1st half and with Andrews up by 8 his calls changed the game especially when he called a technical on our Coach from 20 ft behind him and Coach was challenging a call at the far end of the court and was addressing a different Offical. I couldn’t believe what I seen. Hayesville gets the foul shots and the ball back and took the wind out of the sail. In the 2nd half he hardly blew his whistle. Mission accomplished !! I’ve seen this same type of officiating for years and it’s sickening. Congratulations Hayesville on winning conference, you have a very tough team and a good bunch of boys

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering the game was fairly close in the first half, 2 pt game with 3 minutes left in second qtr, and our leading rebounder having to play the point, I’d say it may have made a difference. Not saying we would have won at all, but we got destroyed on the boards and never got into our offense when we made a move at point to get bigger on the boards. That’s when you pulled away.
No doubt it had a bearing on the game, Robbinsville's personnel put in different spots and as a result different team in many ways and yeah just the general loss of a talented player. It certainly would've been much tighter throughout with her out there, I have no question of that.

For me I just found it mildly disrespectful to the season Murphy has had for someone to refer to them as equal, both when it was said and especially now that they've ran the table and the other team has 5 conference losses. They may be close to equal in talent (which I think is a pretty fair statement to make) but they haven't been equal in results thus far. That may change in the playoffs, who knows. Your girls are talented enough to get hot and go the distance with a little luck.

Last edited:
Don't blame it on the officials, same ref called Hayesville for a completely ridiculous intentional foul that gave Andrews two foul shots and the ball. Overall big difference was Hayesvilles willingness to play unselfish and willingness to take charges. Andrews doesn't even try to draw charges, would rather go for blocks too bad McTaggart is tough block evident by his 31 points tonight.

Reactions: Hhs98
It was a great game. Hats off to the Hayesville boys they always play good ball. I have to say Official Snyder was the difference in the game. He blew the whistle often in the 1st half and with Andrews up by 8 his calls changed the game especially when he called a technical on our Coach from 20 ft behind him and Coach was challenging a call at the far end of the court and was addressing a different Offical. I couldn’t believe what I seen. Hayesville gets the foul shots and the ball back and took the wind out of the sail. In the 2nd half he hardly blew his whistle. Mission accomplished !! I’ve seen this same type of officiating for years and it’s sickening. Congratulations Hayesville on winning conference, you have a very tough team and a good bunch of boys

Well, I will throw in my take on the game. It was an evenly contested game with HHS making a few more plays to win. Three of the key plays were in my opinion were
1) HHS missed a 3 ,got the offensive rebound kicked it out and hit a 3 at the buzzer to tie the game at the half.
2) HHS post found a teammate wide open on the backside when he was doubled for an easy bucket in the 4th.
3) HHS had a 7 point lead late when their PG drove the middle of the lane for a pretty much uncontested layup.

As for the officiating, I didn't think it greatly favor one team or the other. In the 1st half Andrews was in the bonus, while having been whistle for 6 fouls(including the tech, which I don't believe was on HC) HHS had 2 players with 2 fouls each before AHS was tag with a foul. In the 2nd half, I think the 1st 4 fouls were on AHS. By the 4th both teams were in the Bonus. HHS probably shot several more FTs as the Cats fouled several times inside the last 3 minutes. As for the tech, I don't know what was said, but the Cats bench was very animated. As for the intentional foul on HHS, it seemed to be a correct call as it was a hard foul. HHS player shoved the AHS player so he would not land on him. The intentional helped Andrew build a lead. The tech let HHS score the last 5 points of the half.

Last edited:
No doubt it had a bearing on the game, Robbinsville's personnel put in different spots and as a result different team in many ways and yeah just the general loss of a talented player. It certainly would've been much tighter throughout with her out there, I have no question of that.

For me I just found it mildly disrespectful to the season Murphy has had for someone to refer to them as equal, both when it was said and especially now that they've ran the table and the other team has 5 conference losses. They may be close to equal in talent (which I think is a pretty fair statement to make) but they haven't been equal in results thus far. That may change in the playoffs, who knows. Your girls are talented enough to get hot and go the distance with a little luck.
Come on man. Robbinsville is very young. Arguably their best player was on the bench last night. It remained close until the end of the 3rd. As far as results go, yeah Robbinsville has lost a few games due to inconsistency. They had a few bad nights. But Murphy isn’t bulletproof. Had some of these teams they played had a good game against them, you could easily be looking at the same result. Yeah I know you’re probably gonna say that it’s a lot of “ifs”, but nonetheless it’s true. They are both very talented. And as far as team vs. team at full health, I’d say they are pretty dang equal.

Don't blame it on the officials, same ref called Hayesville for a completely ridiculous intentional foul that gave Andrews two foul shots and the ball. Overall big difference was Hayesvilles willingness to play unselfish and willingness to take charges. Andrews doesn't even try to draw charges, would rather go for blocks too bad McTaggart is tough block evident by his 31 points tonight.
I reckon all you know how to do is bash teams right?

Well, I will throw my take on the game. It was an evenly contested game with HHS making a few more plays to win. Three of the key plays were in my opinion were
1) HHS missed a 3 ,got the offensive rebound kicked it out and hit a 3 at the buzzer to tie the game at the half.
2) HHS post found a teammate wide open on the backside when he was doubled for an easy bucket in the 4th.
3) HHS had a 7 point lead late when their PG drove the middle of the lane for a pretty much uncontested layup.

As for the officiating, I didn't think it greatly favor one team or the other. In the 1st half Andrews was in the bonus, while having been whistle for 6 fouls(including the tech, which I don't believe was on HC) HHS had 2 players with 2 fouls each before AHS was tag with a foul. In the 2nd half, I think the 1st 4 fouls were on AHS. By the 4th both teams were in the Bonus. HHS probably shot several more FTs as the Cats fouled several times inside the last 3 minutes. As for the tech, I don't know what was said, but the Cats bench was very animated. As for the intentional foul on HHS, it seemed to be a correct call as it was a hard foul. HHS player shoved the AHS player so he would not land on him. The intentional helped Andrew build a lead. The tech let HHS score the last 5 points of the half.
That’s a fair assessment. I’m not trying to take away from a Hayesville win. They play smart and good team ball. But I believe with all my heart this official had it out for our Coach. It didn’t mean we would have kept that run going or would have won the game but it was a momentum changer for sure. I believe this said official also called at Hayesville when we played.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT