ADVERTISEMENT

Third draft of realignment released

I know that the love for any of these schools is not on this board, but this conference is totally wrong.

Football Only

Bishop McGuinness
Carver
Christ the King
Mountain Island Charter
Winston-Salem Prep
Community School of Davidson (2A)

Look at Millennium with the triad schools for non football sports.

To be honest, I don't care how the charters get treated with this. They're taking money and championships away from traditional schools while playing by a different set of rules. It's time they have their own thing.

Last edited:
Did any schools, other than Kinston(1A up to 2A), change classifications with this newest draft?

Carver and WS Prep are public schools. They should not be penalized. Especially Carver.
You just identified the problem. If it were as simple as isolating charter schools, even if we loosely rationalize them as public schools (yes, I know technically they are), it would be easier to fix the problem. But there are also counties that have open enrollment with very broad boundaries. Magnet schools, parochial schools. All of those complicate the process. But, at the core, nothing will change because the legislature as a whole wants to privatize public education for profit.

To be honest, I don't care how the charters get treated with this. They're taking money and championships away from traditional schools while playing by a different set of rules. It's time they have their own thing.

I’m with you thunder. I hope it burns when charters pee 😉

I know that the love for any of these schools is not on this board, but this conference is totally wrong.

Football Only

Bishop McGuinness
Carver
Christ the King
Mountain Island Charter
Winston-Salem Prep
Community School of Davidson (2A)
Are these all charter or private except Carver and has Charter dropped to 1A ?
Just curious, is MIC & CTK a long drive ? Explain what is wrong. If all are 1A but CSOD (2A) then I can see your point. I just don't know the driving distance of MIC & CTK. Also, could it be putting Carver with all these private and charter ? Looks like they have attempted to get charters, private & and magnet and school with no boundaries together. But what do I know ?

Last edited:
Are these all charter or private except Carver and has Charter dropped to 1A ?
Just curious, is MIC & CTK a long drive ? Explain what is wrong. If all are 1A but CSOD (2A) then I can see your point. I just don't know the driving distance of MIC & CTK. Also, could it be putting Carver with all these private and charter ? Looks like they have attempted to get charters, private & and magnet and school with no boundaries together. But what do I know ?
You know WS Prep is a public school. Yes, Carver has dropped to 1A. I have no problem with putting all the charters together, actually all for it, but why penalize 2 public low income schools and have them drive that far. Its not always about football. Those basketball, soccer and etc become long and late on a school night. Especially harder with schools that don’t have the resources and kids already struggling with grades.

What are boundaries anymore? Boundaries are more loose in more systems than they are not.

Reactions: realjoejr
If WSFCS would eliminate the school choice and force students to attend the schools in the zones in which they live, then it would fix this and have Carver back as a large 3A or 4A school. It would also fix high enrollment numbers at East and West Forsyth and Reagan.

I know this is a different topic for a different day, but I still don't see why Atkins and Winston-Salem Prep can't be consolidated under one roof.

If WSFCS would eliminate the school choice and force students to attend the schools in the zones in which they live, then it would fix this and have Carver back as a large 3A or 4A school. It would also fix high enrollment numbers at East and West Forsyth and Reagan.

I know this is a different topic for a different day, but I still don't see why Atkins and Winston-Salem Prep can't be consolidated under one roof.
Chris, Atkins is basically full. There are Pods at Atkins. Carver and Prep could combine. Plenty of room at Carver. And you know school choice is not going away.

There is no way of any realignment that can be done that would satisfy everyone, so if they satisfy some this time then in 4 years satisfy a few more, then maybe in 12 to 20 years of changing every 4 years, they may get around to having everyone satisfied in at least one 4 year realignment. I did say maybe. LOL.... Now that was a mouth full of ifs & maybes. Just thought I would say it as I see it.

Reactions: Slasher Killer

Explain how the NCHSAA can move Millennium out of the new NW1A and into a Triad Charter conference? Because they don’t have football? Big deal - WS Prep has gone YEARS only fielding only 6 or 7 teams and not fielding most sports. It can’t be geography, because they are next door to Mt.Airy and will drive right past Stokes County on their way to Winston, Kernersville, etc. This is simply a move to protect a charter school and move them into a conference where they won’t get destroyed in most every sport! I’m sure the NW1A schools are partially relieved not to have to play Millennium’s teams...but I bet at least a little part of them is disappointed they aren’t going to be able to send an emphatic message to them each and every night!

Explain how the NCHSAA can move Millennium out of the new NW1A and into a Triad Charter conference? Because they don’t have football? Big deal - WS Prep has gone YEARS only fielding only 6 or 7 teams and not fielding most sports. It can’t be geography, because they are next door to Mt.Airy and will drive right past Stokes County on their way to Winston, Kernersville, etc. This is simply a move to protect a charter school and move them into a conference where they won’t get destroyed in most every sport! I’m sure the NW1A schools are partially relieved not to have to play Millennium’s teams...but I bet at least a little part of them is disappointed they aren’t going to be able to send an emphatic message to them each and every night!
Millennium varsity could start out playing the NWC JV basketball teams and be lucky to win a game. They have not done too well playing the small teams that they have played. Lost the 3 games played this year and have not won very many games since they started. A very young team in basketball and it does show they have a JV team now. This is what their schedule looks like this year before joining the NWC for the 21-22 season.

I'm wondering the same myself. I know a few people who work at MIC and they wanted to be in the Northwest for the short drives. This completely breaks that and they have to drive to Greensboro twice now in really old activity busses.. yeah.

I'm honestly surprised they joined the NCHSAA this early.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
There is no way of any realignment that can be done that would satisfy everyone, so if they satisfy some this time then in 4 years satisfy a few more, then maybe in 12 to 20 years of changing every 4 years, they may get around to having everyone satisfied in at least one 4 year realignment. I did say maybe. LOL.... Now that was a mouth full of ifs & maybes. Just thought I would say it as I see it.

Indeed.. I actually get where the state's coming from here. They had a rock and a hard place situation to deal with as those 1A Forsyth schools were left out in the open. Hard to solve that problem without upsetting someone so it is what it is.

Honestly this is a good setup for all three Forsyth schools; I woulda switched MI Charter with Highland Tech though it truly would have made that conference wide open. MIC will probably more than likely dominate it now but Carver/Prep can play with all those other schools in this conference. CSD's pretty good though in their good years but Carver vs Prep/Bishop, PL Prep, and Christ the King will be some tossup games. That's what Carver needs to regrow their program. Plus none of those schools play JV ball so they won't have to travel twice a week. That'll save money that they would lose otherwise.

Basketball wise the Forsyth teams will compete as well and do well plus they can keep their county games.

Carver and WS Prep are public schools. They should not be penalized. Especially Carver.
While they are public schools, they also play by different rules by being "open enrollment" schools within Forsyth County. WS Prep's basketball program and to some extent track basically are 4A programs, drawing athletes from across a major metropolitan area. I don't feel sorry for them

While they are public schools, they also play by different rules by being "open enrollment" schools within Forsyth County. WS Prep's basketball program and to some extent track basically are 4A programs, drawing athletes from across a major metropolitan area. I don't feel sorry for them

Agree. I'm glad NCHSAA is trying to put in some multipliers, but I think you've hit the nail on the head on why a multiplier at this point needs to relate to the population base a school can draw from.

Although with their coach (and some star power) gone to QEA, W-S Prep basketball does look about like a normal 1A school. At least for now.

Yeah I know that Everyone can't be happy here but I think the people at Mount Airy are happy, at least I am, that we don't play Millenium, but I am shocked that they are not in the new NW1A but I'm not complaining either. Millenium plays competition at their level and NW schools play at theirs. I feel bad for Carver because their numbers have been declining so much. And Carver has every sport I almost wouldn't care if Carver was in the NW1A and the reason I say almost is that if you bring in Carver then you have to bring in W-S Prep and Bishop. and that is just too many schools for one conference. But yeah I wouldn't care if Carver was in our conference but then you have eight schools spamming across six counties. Also, I still feel bad for West Stokes having to play Reidsville every year in football. Ashe County is still with Watauga so I bet they aren't as happy. With that being said I am excited to see the NW1A Conference and it is like the old days except without East Surry.

Yeah I know that Everyone can't be happy here but I think the people at Mount Airy are happy, at least I am, that we don't play Millenium, but I am shocked that they are not in the new NW1A but I'm not complaining either. Millenium plays competition at their level and NW schools play at theirs. I feel bad for Carver because their numbers have been declining so much. And Carver has every sport I almost wouldn't care if Carver was in the NW1A and the reason I say almost is that if you bring in Carver then you have to bring in W-S Prep and Bishop. and that is just too many schools for one conference. But yeah I wouldn't care if Carver was in our conference but then you have eight schools spamming across six counties. Also, I still feel bad for West Stokes having to play Reidsville every year in football. Ashe County is still with Watauga so I bet they aren't as happy. With that being said I am excited to see the NW1A Conference and it is like the old days except without East Surry.
But if there was a final appeal before everything takes effect, if I was Carver, I would demand to get out of that conference, and that football conference, are you kidding me? That football conference is one of the worst layouts I've ever seen. Carver doesn't deserve this. Carver has football and used to be pretty darn good at it too. Carver has basketball. Carver has baseball. 8 teams make conference tournaments easier. And I know I was the one that didn't want any Forsyth county schools in the NW Conference but Carver doesn't deserve this at all.

But if there was a final appeal before everything takes effect, if I was Carver, I would demand to get out of that conference, and that football conference, are you kidding me? That football conference is one of the worst layouts I've ever seen. Carver doesn't deserve this. Carver has football and used to be pretty darn good at it too. Carver has basketball. Carver has baseball. 8 teams make conference tournaments easier. And I know I was the one that didn't want any Forsyth county schools in the NW Conference but Carver doesn't deserve this at all.
But even with the way it is now this is fine. I mean with the season going from 11 games to 10 games, non-conference games are key for gate money. Even with the realignment but still feel bad for Carver.

Millennium Charter will get a lot of recognition in that conference, win or lose they can show they are new in the NCHSAA and maybe get a lot of interested players knowing they can go there a make a lot of difference. Could be a plus in the long run. A lot of schools have good players that don't get a lot of playing time that could start for Millennium Charter especially when & if they get a football team.

Last edited:
Reactions: realjoejr
But even with the way it is now this is fine. I mean with the season going from 11 games to 10 games, non-conference games are key for gate money. Even with the realignment but still feel bad for Carver.
The only problem with the Forsyth Co. schools like Carver & WSPrep, they only bring very few followers and that is why they want in the NWC 1A, they take a lot of followers to Forsyth Co. Win-Win for them and Lose-Lose for the other NWC 1A schools.

The only problem with the Forsyth Co. schools like Carver & WSPrep, they only bring very few followers and that is why they want in the NWC 1A, they take a lot of followers to Forsyth Co. Win-Win for them and Lose-Lose for the other NWC 1A schools.

It gets even worse in the other sports when Carver pretends to field a team and then they don't even show up or they half effort play the contest. I remember we were supposed to play them in Women's tennis a few years ago ,and they never even showed up, or attempted to call explaining why. There's no excuse for that.. it was the kids senior night match too. That infuriated me when I read about it in the paper. Everyone loses in those situations.

With them in the private school conference they won't hurt any regular completive school like that again. Granted they still will be very un-predictable.

Carver, Bishop, and Prep were all in favor of joing that conference for Football only.

If all parties agree in 2 sperate conferences the NCHSAA will let appeals happen. That's how Millenium joined the conference they did. Cornerstone, Bethany, and NCLA are teams they have been playing for years so they are thier natural rivalries. It gives the NW1A a true tradional public school conference with no charters or privates. Win-Win in my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT