ADVERTISEMENT

The Statewide Conference Review(Week#4)

Tigertown_a_Rick

Jul 29, 2001
As teams around the state finish up their non-conference part of their schedule, and ready themselves for the Conference battles...Conference play has already begun in the Eastern 1A for the 2 largest 1A/2A split-class Northern Carolina and Three Rivers Conferences...Let's take a look around the state at all the 1A Conferences...

Western 1A
--------------------
SMC(7)
Cherokee(3-0) is the only undefeated team left in the SMC as the Braves shutout(34-0) the Asheville School Blues on friday...Meanwhile, Robbinsville(2-1) fell from the ranks of the unbeatens as the Black Knights lost(34-7) at Big Oaks Stadium to Christ School and the Shuler boys West and Navy who are the sons of Jeff(Robbinsville) and Heath(Swain County) Shuler respectively....Murphy(3-1) shutout(48-0) the North Georgia Charter school, while Swain County(1-3) lost(42-21) at "the pit" to 2A unbeaten Franklin...Andrews(1-3) put up a good fight in Georgia before losing(42-28) to Union Co...Hayesville(1-3) suffered an unexpected upset(22-19) at home to the Carolina Wildcats, while Rosman(0-4) was no match for 2A unbeaten Mt. Heritage who shutout(55-0) the Tigers in Rosman...

NWC(6)
-----------
Mount Airy(4-0) remained unbeaten with a convincing win at home over 3A Eden Morehead(38-14), while down in Pilot Mt, East Surry(2-2) needed 2 overtimes to finish off(54-48) County rival 2A Surry Central...South Stokes(1-3) suffered a set back in Sparta to unbeaten Alleghany(28-7), ...W-S Prep(1-2) picked up their first win of the season in Raleigh as the Phoenix beat Word of God Christian(18-8)...Both Bishop McGuinness(0-4) and North Stokes(0-4) remain winless after lopsided losses against unbeaten 2A MVC foes West Wilkes(59-14) and North Wilkes(62-0) last friday...

SPC(8)
----------
Thomas Jefferson(4-0) remained unbeaten after beating Trinity Acd. Tenn(41-13) on the road...Bessemer City(3-0) is also unbeaten, but was OPEN last friday before hosting 2A North Lincoln in their final non-conference game this coming friday...Mt. Island Charter(2-1) was also OPEN last week, and will host Commonwealth Charter this week...Union Acd.(2-1) was also OPEN last week, and will travel to Northside Christian this week...In other SPC action last week, Pine Lake Prep(2-2) was shutout on the road at Cannon School(49-0), while Comm.Sch.of Davidson(1-2)was hammered(43-7) at 2A North Surry...Cherryville(2-2) held on to beat(29-28) 2A Draughn in Cherryville...

YVC(8)
---------
The battle of Montgomery County resulted in West Montgomery(2-1) falling from the ranks of the unbeaten as 2A East beat(35-21) the Warriors on the field for the first time since 2004...East was awarded a Forfeit back in 2008, but the Warriors had gotten the best of their 1A neighbors before East moved up to the 2A class this year...North Stanly(3-0) is now the only YVC unbeaten team as the Comets were OPEN last week before they host their final non-conference foe 3A NW Cabarrus this week..North Rowan(3-1) beat 3A Carson(37-6) in Spencer last friday...South Stanly(1-3) lost(42-28) at 2A West Stanly, while Chatham Central(1-3) and South Davidson(1-3) lost home games to 2A foes Jordan-Matthews(41-20) and W-S Atkins(48-6)..North Moore(1-3) lost on the road at 2A Trinity(25-12)....Albemarle(1-2) was OPEN last week before traveling to 3A Union Pines this week...

1A/2A WHC(3)
-------------------
1A Unbeaten Mitchell County(4-0) blasted(49-19) 4A McDowell on the road, while 1A Polk County(3-0) also remained unbeaten with a shutout(24-0) at nearby Landrum S.C. last week...2A Mountain Heritage(3-0) had two weeks to prepare for Rosman, and the result reflected that of a rested team(55-0)...2A Madison(2-2) was surprised(42-32) at home by 2A Brevard, while 1A Avery County(1-3) lost a tough one(42-36) across the border at Cloudland Tenn..2A Owen's(0-3) long season continued as the Warhorses were blasted(52-13) at 2A Hendersonville...

1A/2A MVC(4)
-------------------
The Homecoming for new coach Noah Lyon couldn't have gone any better as the 1A Alleghany Trojans(4-0) finished off their non-conference slate with a 28-7 win over S Stokes to remain unbeaten...1A East Wilkes(4-0) exacted some revenge on the team that knocked them out the playoffs last year, blasting 2A Walkertown(60-12)...2A MVC foes North Wilkes(3-0) and West Wilkes(3-0) beat NWC 1A foes North Stokes(62-0) and Bishop McGuinness(59-14) to also remain unbeaten heading into conference play...1A Starmount(1-3) shutout 2A rival Forbush on the road to record their first win of the season, while 2A Wilkes Central(2-2) lost(50-26) at 3A Watauga, and 2A Ashe Co.(0-4) remained winless ,losing(54-40) a high-scoring game at 2A West Caldwell...1A Elkin(1-2) was OPEN last week, and will travel to 1A South Stokes for their final non-conf. game this week...

Eastern 1A
---------------
A-6(4 Football Members this yr.)
--------------------------------------------
It had to end sometime as Bear Grass(3-1 & 2-0)) lost their first game, and were shutout for the first time as well(44-0) at Manteo...Meanwhile, Creswell(1-2 & 1-1) won their first A-6 contest at Mattamuskeet(0-4 & 0-2)...Columbia(0-2) was OPEN last week before hosting Mattamuskeet this week...

AAC(6)
---------
2nd ranked 1A Edenton Holmes(4-0) remained unbeaten win a convincing road win(54-20) at Bertie Co...Manteo(3-1) as mentioned above handed Bear Grass their first loss(44-0), while Plymouth(1-3) ended a 4 game losing streak, beating Kipp Pride(50-34) on the road....Gates County(2-2) lost at 1A unbeaten Southside(40-29), while both Camden Co.(1-3) and Perquimans(0-4) were shut out on the road at 2A Pasquotank(44-0) and 2A Currituck Co.(46-0)...

CPC(7)
----------
Top-ranked Tarboro(4-0) hammered(65-12) North Edgecombe on the road, while Southside(4-0) also remained unbeaten with a victory at home(40-29) over Gates County..The other 5 CPC foes were not as fortunate last friday as Northside-PT(2-2) lost a tough one(36-32) at home to 2A Washington...Pamlico(2-2) also lost by 4pts(30-26) in Newport to 2A Croatan...Riverside-Martin(2-2) also suffered a setback(46-26) at Northampton, while South Creek(1-3) lost(15-6) at SE Halifax...Jones Senior(0-4) who traditionally plays one of the toughest non-conf. schedules every season was shutout(41-0) at Kinston...

CC(6)
--------
Lakewood(4-0) continues to impress as the Leopards shutout(35-0) 2A Midway on the road...North Duplin(4-0) kept pace as the Rebels smashed winless Lejeune(42-8) on the road as well..Rosewood(2-2) was surprised(20-15) in Burgaw by Pender Co....Union(1-2) also lost a tough one on the road(15-6) at 2A Heide Trask, while Hobbton(0-4) remains winless after losing(36-14) at 2A Spring Creek...Princeton(2-1) was Idle last week, and will travel to Wake Christian School this friday...

TRAC(7)
-----------
Northampton(3-1) continues to improve winning their 3rd straight game in impressive fashion by beating(48-26) Riverside-Martin in Conway...SE Halifax(2-2) beat visiting South Creek(15-6) in a close one, but things didn't go so well for Rocky Mt. Prep(2-2) or North Edgecombe(0-3) as both teams lost at home to 3A Jacksonville(57-0) and Tarboro(65-12), respectively...NW Halifax(0-3) was OPEN before hosting NE Carolina Prep this friday, and Weldon(0-3) will have two weeks to prepare for NW Halifax as the Chargers were OPEN last week, and will also be OPEN this friday....

1A/2A TRC(3)
------------------
Conference play began with a bang last friday in the TRC as unbeaten 2A East Bladen(3-0 & 1-0) rallied from a blocked punt that was returned for a TD to beat(14-6) previously unbeaten 2A Whiteville(2-1 & 0-1)) in a defensive TRC showdown in Whiteville...Unbeaten 2A South Columbus(3-0) broke away from a 6 all tie with 2A Red Springs(2-1) to record an impressive(42-14) win to set up this week's TRC battle of unbeatens with East Bladen...Meanwhile, 2A West Bladen's(2-1 & 0-1)) rushing attack accounted for nearly 300yds, but it wasn't enough as 2A Fairmont(2-1 & 1-0) sealed the game with a late 4th QTR TD(22-12)...The Battle for the top 1A spot in the TRC was a rout as 1A South Robeson's(1-2 & 1-0) rushing attack was too much for winless 1A TRC foe West Columbus(0-3 & 0-1) in a 48-8 win...2A Saint Pauls(1-2 & 1-0) spotted 1A East Columbus(0-3 & 0-1) an early lead before QB Noah Wheeler stole the show in the Bulldogs big 46-8 win...

1A/2A C-8(3)
-------------
1A East Carteret(3-1) edged(23-18) 2A Swansboro on the road, while 2A Richlands(2-2) won(26-6) at 3A South Lenoir...1A Pender County(1-2) earned new Coach Tim Smith his first victory, rallying from a 4th quarter deficit(13-12) to beat Rosewood(20-15)..2A Trask(3-1) safety Tiyaun Ballard returned a Spartan pass for a TD with less than 2 minutes remaining to beat( 15-6) 1A Union..2A Dixon(1-2) lost at home to 3A S.Brunswick(32-21), while 2A SW Onslow(1-3) was run over(31-7) by powerful 2A East Duplin on the road...2A Croatan(1-3) who lost(40-6) to West Carteret on tuesday, beat Pamlico(30-26) in a hard fought game on friday to win their first game..Meanwhile, Lejeune's(0-4) long season continued as the Devilpups lost(42-8) at home to North Duplin..

1A/2A NCC(2)
---------------------
Conference play began last friday in the NCC, and 1A Granville Central's(3-1 & 0-1) unbeaten season came to an abrupt end as 2A NCC unbeaten Roanoke Rapids(4-0 & 1-0) shutout(46-0) the 1A Panthers in the first ever meeting between the two schools...Fellow 2A unbeaten South Granville(4-0 & 1-0) opened NCC play at home with a shutout(54-0) over winless 2A N.Vance(0-4 & 0-1)...Warren Co.(3-1 & 1-0)) bounced-back to defeat 1A Louisburg(1-3 & 0-1) in the NCC opener(27-14), while 2A Bunn(2-2 & 1-0) opened NCC play with a tough road win(34-30) at 2A S.Vance(1-3 & 0-1)...2A J.F.Webb(0-2) recorded their first win of the season at 2A non-conf. foe Carboro(40-12)...

Comments, Opinions and Corrections are always welcomed!

Roar Tigers Roar!

Last edited:
I think that was also West on defense at middle linebacker.

Rick the starting QB is West Shuler, Heath's son Navy isn't the starting the QB. Navy started on defense though against Robbinsville and had 14 tackles.

Thanks for the correction....I heard WLOS talking about Shuler last week, but didn't catch his first name, but thought I heard Stan Pamphillis say "W" something, but couldn't remember it, so I thought it was Will?...Anyway, didn't know that he had two sons playing for Christ School....Thought that Heath still lived in Waynesville, and maybe he still does, but guess he didn't want the kids to attend Tuscola, but rather chose Christ School, so that he could coach them as a QB Coach for the Greenies?....Just speculation of course on my part, but seems like I did remember someone telling me that he was part of the Christ School Coaching Staff?....Did you see Heath Shuler down on the sideline with the Christ School team, BK13, and how did his son look at QB for the Greenies from your standpoint?

Again, thanks mbdfan for the correct info!

Roar Tigers Roar!

Rick during Tiger's 7 on 7 Heath was on sidelines. But I think his son is backup.
West Shuler is Jeff Shuler's son who I graduated high school with from Robbinsville. West was the starting quarterback and the starting linebacker Friday night at Robbinsville!
Navy Shuler is Heath Shuler's son who was the starting QB until he suffered an arm injury. This is what I was told Friday night. Heath is on the sidelines as an assistant coach for the Greenies. I will say this if he is the starter at Christ School he must be pretty good because West is a player offensively and defensively! In my opinion West was the best player on the field Friday night.

Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick
West Shuler is Jeff Shuler's son who I graduated high school with from Robbinsville. West was the starting quarterback and the starting linebacker Friday night at Robbinsville!
Navy Shuler is Heath Shuler's son who was the starting QB until he suffered an arm injury. This is what I was told Friday night. Heath is on the sidelines as an assistant coach for the Greenies. I will say this if he is the starter at Christ School he must be pretty good because West is a player offensively and defensively! In my opinion West was the best player on the field Friday night.

Thanks for the info....As I've mentioned many times on this website, this is why I like to come here for answers to any questions because there are always someone out there that know the answers, so I appreciate as I'm sure others do that folks like yourself are willing to share the truth....Just curious, are Jeff and Heath Shuler related?....Was curious since their boys are playing on the same team at Christ School, while both their fathers played for different teams in the SMC?

Last edited:
I was also curious if anyone knows the name of the former Owen RB who is also part of this year's Greenie team....Seems like his last name is Gibbs, but can't remember his first name, but seems like I also heard on the news last spring that he and his brother also transferred to Christ School....Think he got hurt his Sophomore year at Owen after they moved him from RB to QB?...With all this talent moving to Christ School, it's obvious that Christ School is becoming more of a force in the private school leagues....

I was also curious if anyone knows the name of the former Owen RB who is also part of this year's Greenie team....Seems like his last name is Gibbs, but can't remember his first name, but seems like I also heard on the news last spring that he and his brother also transferred to Christ School....Think he got hurt his Sophomore year at Owen after they moved him from RB to QB?...With all this talent moving to Christ School, it's obvious that Christ School is becoming more of a force in the private school leagues....

Sidney Gibbs is the name of the RB who came from Owen. Christ School is getting a few kids like Gibbs who have missed a season due to injury and want to be able to reclassify and get that year back. The AC Reynolds star running back who blew his knee out in the first half of the first game is also heading over there and should be on the field next year.

Sidney Gibbs is his name. And yes his brother is there and both are freaks on the field. Sidney is 5'10 200lbs and ran a 4.4 and his "little" brother is only 6'2 300 and can be seen on wlos top 5 plays. It's only a matter of time till the Greenies are a powerhouse not only in the state but possibly the country. Their ability to bring in talent has been seen in basketball already and the football program is headed in that very same direction.

Then he is a junior this year?
Thats not what ive been hearing.

Thanks Blackcat93 & O&B for the good info, and have to agree that things are really looking up for the Christ School Football program....The kid from AC Reynolds will certainly be another big piece of next year's team as mentioned because he is very talented...Remember back when I was in High School that some of my former Rosman Football buddies used to joke about playing Christ School and their players with full beards, implying that it seemed that many of them back in those days were older than most High School kids....Of course, I doubt that is the case nowadays, but a player that can reclassify will generally have many more advantages to play at the next level than kids that don't reclassify after a season-ending injury, so I guess it makes sense for the kid from A.C. Reynolds to transfer to Christ School rather than lose a year of eligibility...That was probably one of the reason that the Gibbs kid left Owen after his season ended with an injury last year?....Owen could sure have used both of those youngsters this year as I think that the Warhorses have only won 2 games since Kenny Ford retired to the broadcast booth...

We've seen for several years now schools like the IMG Academy in Florida where Michigan Head Coach Jim Harbaugh took his Wolverine team down for a spring practice, as well as other Football Factory Schools as they are called around the country, drawing more of the local kids away from their local schools, since Big College Football programs are paying more attention to those schools loaded with talent, and guess we're finally starting to now see it here on the local level as well....Have to agree that Christ School seems to be following that model....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT