ADVERTISEMENT

(The Mt. Airy News) Millennium Charter Academy, football probably coming soon ?

Mount Airy's Millennium Charter Academy is hosting a youth football camp on March 12.
Could coach Holder be their first coach but probably 4 to 6 years away? The roamer of football started about 4 or 5 years ago.
They are in the city limits with Mount Airy High School, maybe 2 miles away, maybe a little less. 2A North Surry High is about 1 & 1/4 miles outside the city limits.

I see Millennium Charter having a hard time ever fielding a competitive football team but then again who knows what will happen as long as our legislatures pedal fear and attack public schools. So if it happens and it impacts the football programs in Surry and Stokes, I don't want to hear about it.

Wonder if they’ll recruit the local talent better than the Granite Bears do.
By the time they have a varsity team they will have all non-transferred players that they need with all the 4th grade to 8th graders and if it is still in effect they can get one transfer player per year from any school. It will be 3 or 4 years before they get a varsity team, so they have plenty of time for transfers. If they do this football camp annually then they can have a good team in 4 years especially if they get a coach like Kelly Holder whose son Graduates college this or next year ! If all this happens then watch out.

If i was MT Airy or any School from Surry, Stokes, Yadkin, Alleghany or anywhere. I wouldn't like that all. That can add up to a great football team.

If i was MT Airy or any School from Surry, Stokes, Yadkin, Alleghany or anywhere. I wouldn't like that all. That can add up to a great football team.
For sure with the right coach and I can see maybe Kelly Holder as the varsity coach. His son graduates from college this year, I think. It would be a great challenge for him and I can see players wanting to play for him. It may not happen though, just me speculating.

He likes attacking fellow Bear fans anyway. I had never attached a Bear fan. Just posting my opinion like i could see things happening and as I said I may be totally wrong. Kelly could end up back at Mount Airy if Adkins was to leave. I would pull for Kelly either way.
Kelly is already an assistant back at MA but I know what you mean.

By the time they have a varsity team they will have all non-transferred players that they need with all the 4th grade to 8th graders and if it is still in effect they can get one transfer player per year from any school. It will be 3 or 4 years before they get a varsity team, so they have plenty of time for transfers. If they do this football camp annually then they can have a good team in 4 years especially if they get a coach like Kelly Holder whose son Graduates college this or next year ! If all this happens then watch out.
Thomas Jefferson recruits well

Reactions: BK13T-$
had around 60 turn out for the camp….will play a middle school schedule this Fall…not sure which middle schools though

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
I would much rather had played hayesville who we had scheduled last year than yall. Maybe we are boosting our rpi...so go undefeated to help us out lol

had around 60 turn out for the camp….will play a middle school schedule this Fall…not sure which middle schools though
Any updates on Millennium Charter Academy middle school player numbers or their schedule. This is going to be interesting to keep up with the next few years especially when they get JV and varsity going and if they get a really good coach that kids want to play for.

Any updates on Millennium Charter Academy middle school player numbers or their schedule. This is going to be interesting to keep up with the next few years especially when they get JV and varsity going and if they get a really good coach that kids want to play for.
I think so also, I really looking forward to keeping up with the school and hopefully they will have some coaching positions open soon

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
My recent post on here have been tongue in cheek attempts to tell all the Mountain school supporters that we recognize that Mt Airy can never be equal to them or rival their superiority to us low landers. But at the end of the day, I have always been a supporter of "our kids" no matter where they live, close or far.

But the idea of Millennium thinking they can compete in any team sport with Mt Airy, East Surry. Surry Central or North Surry in the next 25 years is... well.... just not realistic in my opinion. To my knowledge, and please correct me if I am wrong, other than the Ruth kid in basketball, name another Millennium student that could have contributed in a meaningful way to a Mt Airy team.

That does not mean I am opposed to them providing opportunities for their students to participate, and enjoy the thrill of victory as well as the despair of defeat. But for them to have an impact on Mt Airy sports in the next 20 years, not even Kelly Holder or JK Adkins could make that happen.

Reactions: sbbbfan
Dang Buzz, didn't you know the General Assembly is going to require traditional public schools to share facilities with charter schools that don't have facilities? Of course they won't be responsible for any upkeep and cleaning. Mount Airy will also have to find a new locker room and the current one will be converted into the Holder Millenium Training Center.

• Haha
Reactions: BK13T-$
They bought land between their school and Jones Elementary. They are supposed to build soccer, football, baseball and softball fields. I attend church beside that land and they have some old buses parked on it now. Nothing has been done to it in a while.

The Surry County GIS map says it's 60 acres. Plenty of room to do whatever athletic facilities they want.

Last edited:
Mount Airy's Millennium Charter Academy is hosting a youth football camp on March 12.
Could coach Holder be their first coach but probably 4 to 6 years away? The roamer of football started about 4 or 5 years ago.
This should be great for the future. in 3-4 years signs of success should show.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT