ADVERTISEMENT

Football Awards-Bears

REWhitley

Sep 1, 2021
H&R Block (Mt Airy, Elkin, Pilot Mountain, Clemmons and Lewisville offices) through WIFM and WSYD 1300 provide the H&R Block Block of the Game Award. So I think it would be a good thing to do a little off shoot for this past Friday nights game here on line.

Defense of the game award could go to almost every single one of the Bear D Line or Linebackers. Dandy and Webster set up camp in the ER backfield in the 2nd half. Connor Burrell made several key tackles or pass knock downs. But I believe from beginning to end, the Block of the Game award (I do not know who Tommy and Kelly at WSYD chose) should go to Ian Gallimore. At his size, he just HIT SOMEBODY time and time again.

Offensive Player (which Block does not award) again could go to several. The catch that Walker Stroup made in the end zone was just outstanding. His slant catch that gave Mt Airy a first down when it was something like 3rd and 9 (not sure exactly) but it kept the drive alive and gave the Bears a giant lift. And then his punting and extra points, in this game were crucial.

And the offensive line, undersized and out weighted, gave every ounce of effort anyone could have asked of them. They as a unit should be considered.

But for my money, it was the joint efforts of Tyler Mason and Caleb Reed that made that sealed the deal. What stands out the most to me is what they both provided evidence of that which maybe us fans did not truly appreciate in each of them prior to Friday night. We all know about Tyler's speed. OMG. Give that young man an inch and he is lighting in a bottle. But it was his "POWER" running, his strength in running that was just amazing to me.

Now reverse that with Caleb. Everyone knew he could move the pile with his strength. I have told the coaches at Lenoir Rhyne about him and his power running.
But OMG did he show he could also turn on the afterburners with his around the end run that drove the stake in the heart of ER.

So my personal Offensive player of the game goes to both young men, Tyler and Caleb.

And now for the Game Ball Award. Perhaps the most important one; wait for it, wait for it: Goes to the Mt Airy City School Administration that brought Head Coach J K Adkins to Mt Airy. We all know that not everybody was 100% behind His selection. I for one was absolutely 100% supportive of his selection. Not because I knew him, I did not. Not because I was happy an outside was selected. I would have been happy if Coach Holder had stayed for a hundred years and coached from his wheelchair.

But being a high school football junkie, having a daughter that taught first at South Iredell and then/now Lake Norman, I knew of Coach Adkins at South Iredell, was aware of his time at Patton and, of course saw what success he had at building East Wilkes to a threat every time they took the field.

I had every expectation that he would be a great addition in the line of great coaches having been at Mt Airy. He has proven himself in every way possible in my opinion. From the way he has worked with the staff that Coach Holder had assembled, to expanding the number of young men participating, to the players working in the weight room, to the inclusion of Coach Holder and his son into the system (and yes, the admiration for this inclusion also goes to Coach Holder).

Mt Airy School Administration gets my Game Ball.

As always, Go Bears.

Breaking News from Mayberry.

The Mount Airy HS Granite Bears have traded Buzzcoach, a popcorn machine, and a 55 gallon drum of laundry detergent to Eastern Randolph HS for a box of tickets needed for this week's game, cash considerations, and a fan to be named later.

Buzz is expected to take over as DJ for ER starting with basketball season.

My thoughts on Eastern Randolph?
I still marvel that Mt Airy won that game. You have so many tools, so well put together. After that game, if Mt Airy is not ready for whom ever, we never will be. My congratulations to the entire ER not-so-rural school on a great season.

I will say one thing kind of negative. I tried to go to your concession stand on the home side but the line was so long I gave up. However, I was able to look inside through an open door and it looked like a complete outfitted kitchen! Now the best high school concession I have every been to is at East Wilkes High School.

I believe you could order a raw ribeye with baked potato and salad and they would have you ready in a minute. Eastern Randolph looked like they could do the same.

The announcer was really good and professional. Every staff person I came into contact was really helpful and with a smile, both before and after the game.
Hopefully next year you will be able to come to Mt Airy for a visit.

The Mount Airy HS Granite Bears have traded Buzzcoach, a popcorn machine, and a 55 gallon drum of laundry detergent to Eastern Randolph HS for a box of tickets needed for this week's game, cash considerations, and a fan to be named later.

Did Pa For MA baseball for about 5 years back in 99-2003. Did American legion too. It's fun I loved it.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight

And we immediately are shipping him to orange/blue for future HS transfer portal rights…
Unfortunately ER will have to pay much of his salary to get the deal done…😩

My thoughts on Eastern Randolph?
I still marvel that Mt Airy won that game. You have so many tools, so well put together. After that game, if Mt Airy is not ready for whom ever, we never will be. My congratulations to the entire ER not-so-rural school on a great season.

I will say one thing kind of negative. I tried to go to your concession stand on the home side but the line was so long I gave up. However, I was able to look inside through an open door and it looked like a complete outfitted kitchen! Now the best high school concession I have every been to is at East Wilkes High School.

I believe you could order a raw ribeye with baked potato and salad and they would have you ready in a minute. Eastern Randolph looked like they could do the same.

The announcer was really good and professional. Every staff person I came into contact was really helpful and with a smile, both before and after the game.
Hopefully next year you will be able to come to Mt Airy for a visit.
Thank you sir for the kind words. Not sure if my old self could handle the sensory overload that apparently is the Mt Airy experience. But if it happens next year might make the ride. Just to say I did.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT