ADVERTISEMENT

Swain Program slipping

murphy1981

Aug 6, 2005
Has the Swain program slipped from a elite powerhouse program???

I hope not. I loved the Murphy Swain games with everything on the line.

They tied for 1st in conference last year lol, I mean it was a fluke win against the Dogs but still a conference title. They still have a very good coaching staff over there and there a young team. This is the definition of a hot take.

Last edited:
Reactions: PBBear51
Swain hasnt been Swain for a few yrs even though they tied for first last year

I was told by die hard fans that it was coaching. NOT coaching strategy but the sheer number of coaches..I was told there was 13 different coaches on the sidelines and 3 in the booth..That players complain that one coach will tell them one thing only to have another coach tell them something different. Can anyone confirm this? 16 coaches? Wow, Robbinsville has 4.

I think the overkill of coaches is becoming an issue at many places. Not uncommon to go to a high school football game and see 12 coaches on the sideline, 5 coaches on a basketball sideline or in a baseball dugout. Over complication of things is a huge downfall for high school sports teams.

Could be the Cherokee kids are staying at Cherokee lol
I mean you have a point. If you take away the Wildcat, Panther, Tisho class, Swain hasnt had a good team by there standards since 2004.

Last edited:
It doesnt help that Swain is usually limited speed wise even for a SMC team. Murphy, Robbinsville, Cherokee and even Hayesville almost always have more skill position speed. So unless Swain is beastly in the trenches its hard for them to compensate.

Last edited:
I think it's that travel baseball, some kids stay out for a few years and hop back in sophomore and jr years and they kinda get off point!!! Just like humans tho, we're not designed to be on top of tha mountain all tha time!!! Gotta go down in tha valley for them beans and taters every once in a while!!!

I mean I know Cherokee is keeping more kids at home and the Swain kids are coming back . One of the office people said our enrollement is up 50 kids . Not sure why. Since that Swain has struggled and I think this is the youth group that dominated for so long at Swain. Not sure what’s happening but I can’t recall ever that Cherokee drills them 45-7 . The next year they lose to Smoky 56-6. Seems like something a miss

I mean I know Cherokee is keeping more kids at home and the Swain kids are coming back .

Please clarify? Swain has 12 enrolled members on this team. One enrolled member transferred to Cherokee this season. This one player is a freshman that only played youth league one year and one year on jv for Swain.

It is rampant in Swain County

How is there daddy ball on varsity? No players are related to coaches? Best player plays. At least that should be the case. Perhaps there has been some senior favoritism over the last few seasons but I would not consider that daddy ball......

Please clarify?
JV team last year .... Parents ripping apart coaching staff. Dad's who have coached their kids and just can't turn loose of the reigns. Puts kids in a bad spot. Do they listen to their ciach, oror the Dad? I KNOW this to be happening. I have several friends who coach there.

Reactions: Gentle Knight
How is there daddy ball on varsity? No players are related to coaches? Best player plays. At least that should be the case. Perhaps there has been some senior favoritism over the last few seasons but I would not consider that daddy ball......
Not Daddy Ball in the sense that you are thinking. Dad's who can't turn loose of their kid. Dad's who undermine the coaching staff.

Reactions: Gentle Knight
Dude tha next team unz have that's state contenders is sain, gronewald, Loyd tesatesskie, Taylor kid, watty, and there's a few others that see real playin time!!! I believe tha favoritism deal is everywhere tho, daddy ball is ridiculous!!! Not just in swain county but wherever daddy ball is that sucks for kids that's gotta do thru it!!

Reactions: Swaindad40
Do dads coach at Swain ? I’m not that into the loop at Swain ? Just stating outside observations

Not Daddy Ball in the sense that you are thinking. Dad's who can't turn loose of their kid. Dad's who undermine the coaching staff.

This should not be happening but I’m sure it does with every team. As a parent, I would not undermine the coaching staff. I have learned to stay back and have the kids learn from the coaches. As a parent I still give feedback to my kids and how to improve or things to work on. But I don’t and won’t tell them not to listen to the coaches. I tell them to say yes sir and learn what they want you to do so you perform at your best.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: PBBear51
This should not be happening but I’m sure it does with every team. As a parent, I would not undermine the coaching staff. I have learned to stay back and have the kids learn from the coaches. As a parent I still give feedback to my kids and how to improve or things to work on. But I don’t and won’t tell them not to listen to the coaches. I tell them to say yes sir and learn what they want you to do so you perform at your best.
[/QUOTE]

I wish more parents had that thought of mind.

I was in Asheville and overheard some people from down yonder taking about that game. The one guy says, “ Is Smoky that good”? The other man says hell no. He says, we looked like we haven’t ever seen a football before. He said we have a kid that’s 6’8 and is lost in the sauce. The first man said damn wonder what’s going on. The second man says, coaches don’t have a clue. Players don’t have a clue. I went on to wonder...what is happening in Swain Co?!

Cherokee plays Smoky on 9/14. You may want to wait to find out before you are quick to judge. Don’t forget you have Swain on 9/28 as well. We may have a lot of issues now but by the time conference comes around they will be worked out.

Outside of the game last season, this group of juniors and sophomores have “never” lost to Cherokee.

Don’t let that change the fact in your last two games against your closets schools you have lost 101-13.

I was in Asheville and overheard some people from down yonder taking about that game. The one guy says, “ Is Smoky that good”? The other man says hell no. He says, we looked like we haven’t ever seen a football before. He said we have a kid that’s 6’8 and is lost in the sauce. The first man said damn wonder what’s going on. The second man says, coaches don’t have a clue. Players don’t have a clue. I went on to wonder...what is happening in Swain Co?!

Most people that say coaches don't have a clue, don't have much of a clue themselves.

Swain needs to worry about the political pressure of playing the politicians kids vs the best player. Only way Blankenship stays as the head coach after this season is if the right kids play. I didn’t say it, one of my friends is one of the 16 coaches on the sidelines On a second note, Swain has lost their edge on Cherokee. Just being honest, the 50 plus kids that transferred have cited “happiness” as their reason for transferring. The school moral isn’t good at all from what I hear. The football team runs an offense that very few people can benefit from after high school.

You tell me when is the last time they lost an avg team 56/6 ? There is concern

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT