ADVERTISEMENT

Surry County Football

I agree Elkin is not a good situation right now. But it could be. With over 400 students, a great community, very nice and getting better facilities, they could be good to very good year in and year out with the right coach.
The community is awesome. Harry’s, Angry Troll and Southern on main. I myself make the 30 min drive for those restaurants often. It really is a beautiful area. I would love to see it thrive again in sports.

Reactions: REWhitley
I agree Elkin is not a good situation right now. But it could be. With over 400 students, a great community, very nice and getting better facilities, they could be good to very good year in and year out with the right coach.

I think alot of those students are in the virtual academy. Elkin's ADM was in the 300s for a long time. They've not gained 100 classroom students.

This Elkin situation is crazy. Smh. How do you not hire the alum thats track record is impeccable. Read the articles on him. The kids love him. I live in Winston and always attend the Homecoming Game, but my pride in Elkin football has decreased immensely unless they make the right hire after this. Very dissapointed.

A former Surry County football player still playing this weekend is Joseph Grizmack. Graduated from East Surry a couple years ago is playing for the Montana Grizzlies. They play North Dakota State tomorrow. He's a tight end for them, he was a terror on defense in high school. I wish him the very best.

Go Big Red
#27Forever

The Elkin Job has to be the least desirable job in the area. They haven’t had sustained success in quite awhile. The community doesn’t seem to care about the football program. Especially when prominent community figures are using AAU football to attempt to funnel Elkin and EW kids to starmount. I wouldn’t touch that job.
You are not kidding. An administration that is soft that does not care about athletics. Sure they have great academics but nobody remembers a town for that crap. Every single sport they have is bad. Well except for swimming. It seems Elkin cares about the sports that cost them money. . I was unaware about the AAU football team. But the best thing they can do is to get it back into their recreation department and/or schools. I wasn't aware that they had a so-called pillar of the community doing something with the youth league. And that he could not get along with the football coach at Elkins. Which seems to be the case with a lot of people. And that he was sending kids to Starmount or encouraging them to go to Starmount and East Wilkes. I am aware that that program was in great shape in 2010. And had the athletes to win a state championship during the covid spring. And has had seven or eight teams that were very very good since that coach took over. But because of changes in philosophy and coaching styles etc etc It never materialized. I would say they will never get back to what they were. Mainly because that town has no toughness. Nobody there wants their kids to be coached hard. Somebody mentioned a or the school board being involved in a coach's being let go. That's a story that could have got them in trouble for discrimination. No a few people that work there and their kids go there. They say the same thing. However most of the toughness and athletics starts with the football program. Their football coach they've had for the last however many years has let that decline. Sad to see it would be nice to have another good program besides East Mount Airy and Starmount in the area.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT