ADVERTISEMENT

Surry County Football

And Surry county / NW1A football represents the west again in the ship. Some say the conference is as weak as pond water , but I think the results speak for its self . Sooooooo, what you got to say now ?
6 out of 7 years, it has been East Surry in 2018. 2019, 2020 then Mount Airy in 2017, 2022, 2023, and 2021 Mitchell all represented the West from 2017 through 2023. 6 out of the weak NWC who don't play anybody. All played the big tough Tarboro and only came out with 2 wins out of 5 NWC teams, can Mount Airy make it 3 of 6 this year ?

Last edited:
Parity is what some on here think is a sign of great teams. Not necessarily. Mount Airy, East Surry, and a re-surging Starmount show verry strong teams do not have to come from conferences with a lot of parity.
I dare say Reidsville is not a part of a parity complete conference either.

Question: there is ALWAYS speculation on East Surry Head Coach going somewhere. I hope he does not .
BUT Paige HS in Greensboro is open and I think he could do really well there. And Paige needs a great coach.

Reactions: sbbbfan
Question: there is ALWAYS speculation on East Surry Head Coach going somewhere. I hope he does not .
BUT Paige HS in Greensboro is open and I think he could do really well there. And Paige needs a great coach.
I think he would do well there. A lot of Grimsley talent last few years came from Page

All I'm going to say about this is that we all are one class away from being world beaters or also rans.
Graduation is the great equalizer for schools our size.
Enjoy the ride and the opportunities that come with it because you never know when it'll happen again

Go Big Red
#27Forever

I think you are so correct. My Airy and East Surry have really been blessed the past 10 years or so with an extra serving of talent.
And, at least on my part, I really enjoy the success our local schools have been having.
I wonder when North and Central will experience significant success in football again.

I'm not sure about EW next year. They should be better than this year but personally I'm eyeing this groups senior year. But then you have the reclassification and all that mess to deal with that same year as well. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: NCBBFB
I'm Surry County adjacent up here in Galax. Some good football being played in this region. Galax will be playing in their 6th state championship game in 13 seasons on Saturday. It's a shame we've never been able to get a yearly series going with Alleghany, NS, MA or ES.

Would love to see that happen.

I'm Surry County adjacent up here in Galax. Some good football being played in this region. Galax will be playing in their 6th state championship game in 13 seasons on Saturday. It's a shame we've never been able to get a yearly series going with Alleghany, NS, MA or ES.

Would love to see that happen.
We would too. MA first played Galax in 1915!!! Had some good games back in the day. I have a picture of that 1915 Galax team.

Galax and Graham would be two great games for the Bears. Big win for galax Saturday. Watched the livestream. Shootout. Great things happening for maroon tide football. A lot of potential great out of conference matchups close to MA. Galax is close , Graham no different than Ashe County. Radford would be a good one to

Galax and Graham would be two great games for the Bears. Big win for galax Saturday. Watched the livestream. Shootout. Great things happening for maroon tide football. A lot of potential great out of conference matchups close to MA. Galax is close , Graham no different than Ashe County. Radford would be a good one to
Galax only has 3 seniors in the starting lineup. Two are big-time players in Tucker and Ashworth though.

MA scrimmages Galax and George Wythe now........if they played regular season it would be ugly.
Mount Airy and Galax scrimmaged 4 or 5 times between 2014 and 2020 but not since. The past two seasons, George Wythe has hosted a jamboree the week before the North Carolina regular season begins, which is a week prior to the beginning of the regular season in Virginia. MA and Galax have not met during that jamboree.

I agree, right now a match-up between Galax and MA would be lopsided. MA is twice the size of Galax and has a larger area in which to pull players. But North Surry is 20 miles down the road from Galax and would be a beneficial matchup for both schools.

Reactions: buzzcoach
Mount Airy and Galax scrimmaged 4 or 5 times between 2014 and 2020 but not since. The past two seasons, George Wythe has hosted a jamboree the week before the North Carolina regular season begins, which is a week prior to the beginning of the regular season in Virginia. MA and Galax have not met during that jamboree.

I agree, right now a match-up between Galax and MA would be lopsided. MA is twice the size of Galax and has a larger area in which to pull players. But North Surry is 20 miles down the road from Galax and would be a beneficial matchup for both schools.
I like that field at Galax!

Reactions: sixcat
West Stokes played Galax in 2021 and 2022 while coach Johnson was there. Galax won both games last game of regular season.

Elkin rumored to make a big hire from a retired Head Coach. 1st post so take it for what it's worth. Alumni
The Elkin Job has to be the least desirable job in the area. They haven’t had sustained success in quite awhile. The community doesn’t seem to care about the football program. Especially when prominent community figures are using AAU football to attempt to funnel Elkin and EW kids to starmount. I wouldn’t touch that job.

The Elkin Job has to be the least desirable job in the area. They haven’t had sustained success in quite awhile. The community doesn’t seem to care about the football program. Especially when prominent community figures are using AAU football to attempt to funnel Elkin and EW kids to starmount. I wouldn’t touch that job.

It's a 12 month job and I think the supplement is pretty solid. That alone makes it desirable to someone. The question is, the right someone?

Elkin probably wouldn't have ever won a state championship if it weren't for the kids in Starmount's district. Seems like I remember them getting some from East Wilkes as well back then

6 out of 7 years, it has been East Surry in 2018. 2019, 2020 then Mount Airy in 2017, 2022, 2023, and 2021 Mitchell all represented the West from 2017 through 2023. 6 out of the weak NWC who don't play anybody. All played the big tough Tarboro and only came out with 2 wins out of 5 NWC teams, can Mount Airy make it 3 of 6 this year ?
NO!

Elkin probably wouldn't have ever won a state championship if it weren't for the kids in Starmount's district. Seems like I remember them getting some from East Wilkes as well back then
Same thing can be said about every school and really it doesn’t matter. Where kids want to go to school is all that should matter. I’m just saying that job currently isn’t a good one if you’re trying to win.

Reactions: NCBBFB
I agree Elkin is not a good situation right now. But it could be. With over 400 students, a great community, very nice and getting better facilities, they could be good to very good year in and year out with the right coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT