ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball State Playoff Predictions

Evaluator1

Oct 8, 2004
Here are my Top Ten Teams with the Potential to win the State Championship:

1. Mt. Airy - WEST - They received their wakeup call from WSP this week. 6' 7" Mounce, Sparks, Arrington and crew will be focused and ready for a dogfight!

2. Winston Salem Prep - WEST - 6' 7" Williams, Williamson, Goodloe, Gynn, and a deep and physical bench will also be battle-tested!

3. Voyager Academy - EAST - Look for 6' 11" Virginia signee Jay Huff, 6' 7" Jones, Greene and company to get past East Carteret in the East.

4. East Carteret - EAST - Willis, Johnson, Garrison will lead this team far. Look for an fan-friendly, exciting showdown vs Voyager.

5. Cherokee - WEST - Talk about excitement...this team averages 90 points per game!

6. Hayesville - WEST

7. Avery County - WEST

8. Lincoln Charter - WEST

9. Trask - EAST

10. Gates County - EAST

I believe Mt. Airy, Winston Salem Prep, Voyager Academy and East Carteret are in a class by themselves, and two of these teams should face each other in a tremendously competitive State Championship!

What are your thoughts?

Also...somebody please post the Bracket Projections

I think there's six elite teams. The four that you mentioned as well as Lincoln Charter and Cherokee. I also think Hayesville could make a nice little run with the Cottrell brothers.

The East (with the exception of Voyager/E Carteret) is shaping up to be rather wacky. Trask appears strong.....Weldon appears strong. I also think James Kenan/Wallace Rose Hill/Pamlico County will make their patented post-season runs. And, of course, you have the Darius McGhee experience down in Roxboro....

Queen's Grant and South Creek could be sleepers. Those two have been white-hot for a while.

Speaking of Voyager, is there actually a possibility that they could go West??

1A west will be unreal come 2nd round....the NW 1A teams will be more than prepared come playoff time....don't be surprised to see East Surry, Bishop and maybe one more take out a top team...

Here are my Top Ten Teams with the Potential to win the State Championship:

1. Mt. Airy - WEST - They received their wakeup call from WSP this week. 6' 7" Mounce, Sparks, Arrington and crew will be focused and ready for a dogfight!

2. Winston Salem Prep - WEST - 6' 7" Williams, Williamson, Goodloe, Gynn, and a deep and physical bench will also be battle-tested!

3. Voyager Academy - EAST - Look for 6' 11" Virginia signee Jay Huff, 6' 7" Jones, Greene and company to get past East Carteret in the East.

4. East Carteret - EAST - Willis, Johnson, Garrison will lead this team far. Look for an fan-friendly, exciting showdown vs Voyager.

5. Cherokee - WEST - Talk about excitement...this team averages 90 points per game!

6. Hayesville - WEST

7. Avery County - WEST

8. Lincoln Charter - WEST

9. Trask - EAST

10. Gates County - EAST

I believe Mt. Airy, Winston Salem Prep, Voyager Academy and East Carteret are in a class by themselves, and two of these teams should face each other in a tremendously competitive State Championship!

What are your thoughts?

Also...somebody please post the Bracket Projections

I Like all those teams a lot an agree they all will have a good shot at it........

The Smc will send two legit teams this year .. Hopefully they will make some noise

Speaking of South Creek.....has anyone seen James Moore play? I see where this 6-6 junior is averaging close to 16 boards and 10.5 blocks a game. I don't care what level you play at.......that is straight beastin'.

Hayesville seems to have some fire in their belly after losing to Cherokee a few weeks ago. Nothing but wins by 25+ since then, and finished the regular season with a 93-50 win over 3rd place Rosman last night. Hopefully this carries over to the postseason.

Everyone is overlooking Avery again. 2 straight trips to regionals and a 21-3 record this year. Losses to Erwin, Hibriten, and Asheville Christian Academy this year.

I agree fanatic. 39 wins in a row in a mostly 2A league. Former college coach. Been to regionals the last few years. Definitely a team to watch this postseason.

Last edited:
Hats off to the Avery coaching staff and kids. WHC regular season champs 3 years running (hopefully 3 WHC tourney champs in a row), 39 consecutive conference wins. Respect is earned if we haven't earned it yet maybe we will... #VikingNation

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT