ADVERTISEMENT

State Championship Prediction

mrhonda

Nov 12, 2012
This looks to be a very good matchup for the 4A state title. Cardinal Gibbons comes in with a record of 13-2 after their 36-28 playoff victory against Rolesville. Chambers comes in with a record of 14-1 following their 35-21 playoff victory last week against Hough.

Chambers comes in ranked High School Football America top 100 ranking at 29th. In the Maxpreps top 100 rankings, the Cougars come in at 36. In the Calpreps top 1000 national ranking, Chambers is at 72nd. Cardinal Gibbons is rated at #269.

For the regular season, Gibbons' has scored at a 34.9 ppg clip and allowed a stingy 9.9 ppg. Chambers scored 33.9 ppg while allowing 13.2 ppg. For the playoffs, Chambers has scored 44.6 ppg and allowed 17.2 ppg. Cardinal Gibbons has scored 42.4 ppg in the playoffs and allowed 19.4 ppg.

Cardinal Gibbons' Maxpreps strength of schedule is 18.5, while Chambers' is 32.1 .

Both teams have been very successful over the last six seasons. Cardinal Gibbons is heading into their third straight state title matchup, having lost the previous two. For Chambers, this will be their fourth straight state title matchup, having won the last two. So, the Cougars will be trying for their third straight state championship.

Both programs have been impressive over the last six seasons. Gibbons has gone 67-11. They have gone 12-5 in the playoffs. Chambers has gone 75-12 and they are 22-3 during that time span in the playoffs. The last team to give them a playoff loss was Wake Forest in 2019 9-7.

Chambers and Cardinal Gibbons played each other in the regular season, with Chambers winning a lightning delayed game 35-29.

The saying is, it's hard to beat the same team twice. But....I'm going with Chambers in this one.

Chambers 33 Cardinal Gibbons 21

Reactions: 704CougarsDad
I try to support the East and in fairness the representation of the first game is not fair. Which is why I’m torn. After settling down CG played Chambers tough. I am not going to pretend CG was going to win, but Chambers was spotted 21 points which brings me to why I am struggling to pick this game. From what I read chambers was young up front and I that could be why CG seemed to control Chambers run game and kept them from sustaining drives. They’ve gotten better with experience so that is in chambers favor, CG turnovers were related to an O line that had a new center, tackles I was told. The real factor here was said in an interview yesterday: CG had only 2 players in the back end of the defense that Ever played a varsity snap on defense: 1 LB and one DB. That explains the tackling and why there was no safety on the field when chambers hit that bomb. Those kids were all WR playing their first game on defense. So will be interesting to see how the chambers o-line and CG secondary play.

Reactions: mrhonda
Same here...I don't wanna go there and say blow out but all the metrics for me is saying that. I looked up and down Gibbons schedule and the only team I can gauge is Myers Park.. they beat gibbons which got whooped by Hough...and we all see how that happened last week.....still trying to find some more metrics to help but for now I'm thinking like Weddington type game....35-9 early b4 the delay is hard to look past even though that was early this season. I know CG has gotten better but so have we. How much has that gap closed? I'm thinking unless we make messy mistakes this 1 could get ugly.

With all the "shake up" and all going on in the CMS its hard to tell who will come out of the West... as far as the East... Gibbons or maybe WF.... Its really hard to say.

Oh that is correct! Get your popcorn ready!
East: Gibbons, WF, Rolesville.

They have a good group returning.
I think they can get off to a fast start. Their non conference schedule isn’t as stiff as last year with Richmond being the toughest game. I would probably favor Mallard Creek out the west but I think Butler will be really good next year. I think Independence will be a tough out.

Reactions: UNC91
Butler will be super young on offense. Sophomore QB, a sophomore RB that will get some carries probably, a sophomore WR that is only 5’9 but can really fly. Sophomore on the OL too. May be a slow start but the defense should be good. They will have a couple sophomores on the DL too on defense. Super talented but also super young. I’ll tell ya what, I think that 2025 class at butler brings a state title back to Charlotte before they graduate. They will be good this year, and even better in 2023 fall. That is the best class butler has had in over 10 years in my opinion.

Reactions: UNC91
Let’s not discuss thots and will butler be immune to the ongoing taking down of CMS schools?

Let’s not discuss thots and will butler be immune to the ongoing taking down of CMS schools?
Who knows??? Maybe Nepsy knows, he seems knowledgeable about what’s going on these days on the inside. Butler hasn’t ever really had a huge influx of transfers, although they have gotten a couple..nothing compared to Vance, creek, Hough or MP. But then again, little ole Dub C got hit and they haven’t been relevant since like 2010…so I guess anyone can get got at this very moment.

Who knows??? Maybe Nepsy knows, he seems knowledgeable about what’s going on these days on the inside. Butler hasn’t ever really had a huge influx of transfers, although they have gotten a couple..nothing compared to Vance, creek, Hough or MP. But then again, little ole Dub C got hit and they haven’t been relevant since like 2010…so I guess anyone can get got at this very moment.
We had our best success with the kids zoned for Mallard Creek. 4 State Championship appearances, and 3 State Championships. Once the new kids started showing up, is when we started falling short. Although we have had our share of new kids. We have never been in the same stratosphere as Hough or Myers Park. Hopefully raggedy Hough is the next CMS school to be hit, as they are bar none the #1 recruiting school in the South East of the United States. :) I believe the current AD, coming down on CMS schools is going to make Charlotte Football a tougher out collectively come playoff time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wiseman83

From a talent standpoint Butler is heading in the right direction. Prior to last Spring, Butler had some lean years where we got owned by Myers Park. We were small 4A last spring as well. Anything is possible if WC got hit.

From a talent standpoint Butler is heading in the right direction. Prior to last Spring, Butler had some lean years where we got owned by Myers Park. We were small 4A last spring as well. Anything is possible if WC got hit.
I follow Butler on social media. Looks like they're getting it done, in the weight room for sure. Lot of good looking kids on the roster, and young. I called the game for the NFHS Network a couple of year back when they were dragging Grimsley. Would have won the small 4A that year. Still can't figure out how they let Grimsley back in that game. Butler has been consistently competitive even through their alleged drop off.

Last edited:
Reactions: cimsies
I'm not going to go into too much detail and I'm not saying they are a contender, but Page is growing up real fast in year 3 under Robertson

Reactions: ocdavis31
I'm not going to go into too much detail and I'm not saying they are a contender, but Page is growing up real fast in year 3 under Robertson
I just finished watching film of Page. They don’t lose too much and they’ll need to be consistent. If they can open up the playbook a little more they could be dangerous.

Reactions: PagePirates44
He’s a winner and you’re fortunate to have him. I love his approach to academics/athletics, in that order.
lol wear u getin ur peyote from, hombre? ur trippppppin ballz if u think winnin' = books overs brahnz. Ol' ball coach is aware too, thats y he's in old boysz math teachers pockets.

lol wear u getin ur peyote from, hombre? ur trippppppin ballz if u think winnin' = books overs brahnz. Ol' ball coach is aware too, thats y he's in old boysz math teachers pockets.
No. He understands that it takes both. To quote him when he was at Thomasville, “If you don't do what you’re supposed to between 8 and 3, I don’t need you between 3 and 8.” Ask the Bulldog kids if he meant it. Especially the ones who ended up sitting in the stands.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT