ADVERTISEMENT

Starmount

I have heard rumors that 1 maybe 2 players from North Iredell transfered over to Starmount. Don't know if that rumor is true or not.

Reactions: RealStihl
I disagree completely! They are not a sleeper at all> They are going to be good and everybody up this way knows it.
Well I don’t know much about them over here in the East so for most of us this way we’ll call them a sleeper until the season starts. It’s usually the normal big 4. Mount Airy, Robbinsville, Eastern Randolph & Murphy that gets all the love in the west

I think being overpowered physically and also often overlooked they overpowered the Rams mentally. With several Seniors in this group I think it will be a different story this year. I think the mental part is gonna be the toughest to overcome. As Rough said in an earlier post, getting over that hump has been tough.

Well I don’t know much about them over here in the East so for most of us this way we’ll call them a sleeper until the season starts. It’s usually the normal big 4. Mount Airy, Robbinsville, Eastern Randolph & Murphy that gets all the love in the west
This year you will need to include Starmount Rams. And most likely Swain.

Robbinsville-Mt Heritage game will be a good measuring stick for both.
And for some reason, I think the Robbinsville East Surry game could be very interesting. If East wins, what would that say about Robbinsville? But then if Robbinsville pulls out a close game? Or if they dominate?
Not saying what I expect because I do not know what to expect from either team.
I am always going to pull for the local boys, but this game could tell us as well as the Smokey Mt people a lot about where everybody stacks up.

Deana, do you know if Coach Pardue at Starmount is related to the former Coach Jim Pardue who was the baseball and basketball coach during the 60s and 70s at Hendersonville High School?

Reactions: RealStihl
I have no idea but this Pardue family has been in Yadkin for a long time.

I think Jim Pardue was from Yadkin county.

Did some research on Google and it looks like Jim was from Yadkinville as he went to Yadkinville Elementary and graduated from Yadkinville high school in 1948. Later went to Western Carolina on a basketball scholarship. Joined the Navy and then went back to Western to get his degree and started teaching and coaching at Hendersonville High, as that is where he did his student teaching.

In the obituary (2007) it states only one daughter, Kimberly Peeler. So not sure if Josh would be a nephew or other relation.

Seemed like a great and interesting man. Not to sidetrack the topic of Starmount but if you have about 30 minutes here is a video about 1972 Hendersonville basketball championship team and Jim.

Last edited:
Saw a little action at WSSU 7-on-7 against Mount Tabor. MT got some outstanding kids in 4-star DB Jadon Blair (Notre Dame commit) & 4-star WR Snook Peterkin (30 offers). Nice to see the kids battle a bigger opponent.

I heard they did really well against Hickory Ridge.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
And for some reason, I think the Robbinsville East Surry game could be very interesting. If East wins, what would that say about Robbinsville? But then if Robbinsville pulls out a close game? Or if they dominate?
Not saying what I expect because I do not know what to expect from either team.
I am always going to pull for the local boys, but this game could tell us as well as the Smokey Mt people a lot about where everybody stacks up.
East Surry is going to be bad. A lot of the talent left for West Stokes…. Okay, maybe not bad by area standards, but bad by their standards over the last ten years. Now, On to the Starmount topic: the team has talent, but then again, I’ve never seen a Starmount that didn’t have some talent. Can the community stop talking and complaining about coaches enough for a great coach to mold them into a title contender? We will see I hope so because they have another fantastic coach paired with outstanding talent. Best of luck to the rams

Reactions: sbbbfan
East Surry is going to be bad. A lot of the talent left for West Stokes…. Okay, maybe not bad by area standards, but bad by their standards over the last ten years. Now, On to the Starmount topic: the team has talent, but then again, I’ve never seen a Starmount that didn’t have some talent. Can the community stop talking and complaining about coaches enough for a great coach to mold them into a title contender? We will see I hope so because they have another fantastic coach paired with outstanding talent. Best of luck to the rams
The only player East Surry lost to West Stokes is the running back who grew up in the West Stokes community and has lived in the West Stokes community the entire time he was at East Surry as a player. So your comment that “a lot of their talent left for West Stokes”, is simply not the case. To my knowledge, no one else has left East Surry for any school. The seasons of 2018-2022 was the best run of talent collectively that has come through that school at one time in probably the schools history. Talent like that is not sustainable for any school in our area year after year. Much of the same can be said for Mount Airy right now. Starmount is trending back up with the best run of talent they’ve had roll through Boonville in recent memory. In the current conference set ups with the Foothills and NW, even in a down year, Starmount, MA, North Surry, and East Surry should be 6+ win teams even in a down year.

Starmount returns a ton of talent from last years squad that is a year older and stronger. Great to see the Rams back in the conversation as one of the top teams in the area. Good luck to the Rams this fall.

Last edited:
The only player East Surry lost to West Stokes is the running back who grew up in the West Stokes community and has lived in the West Stokes community the entire time he was at East Surry as a player. So your comment that “a lot of their talent left for West Stokes”, is simply not the case. To my knowledge, no one else has left East Surry for any school. The seasons of 2018-2022 was the best run of talent collectively that has come through that school at one time in probably the schools history. Talent like that is not sustainable for any school in our area year after year. Much of the same can be said for Mount Airy right now. Starmount is trending back up with the best run of talent they’ve had roll through Boonville in recent memory. In the current conference set ups with the Foothills and NW, even in a down year, Starmount, MA, North Surry, and East Surry should be 6+ win teams even in a down year.

Starmount returns a ton of talent from last years squad that is a year older and stronger. Great to see the Rams back in the conversation as one of the top teams in the area. Good luck to the Rams this fall.
I never said East surry wouldn’t win 6 games I clearly said it would be a down year by there standards if I’m not wrong that community expects 10 wins a year and to win a conference championship. I would expect for them to lose to MA, NS, and West stokes. 7-8 wins is where they should realistically be at.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
I had the opportunity to go by the Starmount field today and it looks like the playing field is completely rocked, smoothed and ready for turf. The track portion looks almost ready but I am not sure what happens to the base on it.

The score board looks great. No stands for the visitors yet and did not look like there was much room for visitor stands
There was a bull dozer leveling an area between the scoreboard and the street in front of the school. Will this be for additional parking or plans for a new practice field?

I had the opportunity to go by the Starmount field today and it looks like the playing field is completely rocked, smoothed and ready for turf. The track portion looks almost ready but I am not sure what happens to the base on it.

The score board looks great. No stands for the visitors yet and did not look like there was much room for visitor stands
There was a bull dozer leveling an area between the scoreboard and the street in front of the school. Will this be for additional parking or plans for a new practice field?
Their visitor stands have never held but maybe 200 to 300 the best I remember. Perhaps they will add more for this great stadium update. If I remember correctly their visitor side held maybe around a third of North Surry, East Surry, Mount Airy, and several other area stadiums. Good luck with the new stadium !

Reactions: sbbbfan
Their visitor stands have never held but maybe 200 to 300 the best I remember. Perhaps they will add more for this great stadium update. If I remember correctly their visitor side held maybe around a third of North Surry, East Surry, Mount Airy, and several other area stadiums. Good luck with the new stadium !
You must have your stadiums messed up. Just very few instances has any school filled up our visitor side. The minimum requirement for visitors bleachers in 1A to host a state playoff game is 500 and Starmount had more than that.

The bleachers will be aluminum and about the same size with ADA standards.

You must have your stadiums messed up. Just very few instances has any school filled up our visitor side. The minimum requirement for visitors bleachers in 1A to host a state playoff game is 500 and Starmount had more than that.

The bleachers will be aluminum and about the same size with ADA standards.
As I said it has been a while since I have been there and Starmount had a good team and beat Mount Airy that night Mount Airy overfilled the visitor side and people were standing along the fence. I am thinking of the 1980s and 1990s and maybe the early 2000s. This is what I remember. After looking at both visitors' sides Mount Airy looks to only have maybe 50 to 100 more and I may be wrong. Overall Mount Airy seats 2000 overall and Starmount seats 3000 overall. Once again it has been a long time since I have been to a game other than Mount Airy about 5 years ago and Mount Airy was playing Starmount and I left at the half because of my bad back. Mount Airy was winning 14-7 when I left and I listened to the 2nd half on the radio and Starmount won 27-21 at Mount Airy and that was 2019. I do hope to make it to some home games before it gets cold. I don't think Starmount has beaten Mount Airy since 2019. Good Luck to Starmount this year until they play the BEARS !

Starmount Visitors: https://carolinapreps.smugmug.com/StadiumProject/Starmount/i-P8njXvm/A

Mount Airy Visitors:
https://carolinapreps.smugmug.com/StadiumProject/Mount-Airy-HIgh-School-Wallace/i-PCrV7mG/A

Last edited:
Mann, jealous . That orange and white color scheme is beautiful on turf. The East Surry and North Surry fields are beautiful. That red and white at East pops . Can’t wait till next year to see the turf at Wallace Shelton along with all the other proposed improvements. Can someone elaborate if those proposed improvements are still happening next year?

Mann, jealous . That orange and white color scheme is beautiful on turf. The East Surry and North Surry fields are beautiful. That red and white at East pops . Can’t wait till next year to see the turf at Wallace Shelton along with all the other proposed improvements. Can someone elaborate if those proposed improvements are still happening next year?
No

Reactions: gdawg74
Funds are not in the budget for next year. That's ok. We have a great facility as it is. That pressbox would be nice though.

Reactions: gdawg74
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT