ADVERTISEMENT

Starmount Head Football Coach (Updated 5-15; Greg Lloyd hired)

heard last night at baseball tournament that something is suppose to happen tonight at the big fundraiser; anyone else heard this?

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Wilmouth took his name out at Starmount. He's not coaching anywhere. There is also a dark horse no one has mentioned. One that makes me feel real real sure that lowman will not be the guy. This would be a home run for Starmount but they will probably screw it up.

Wilmouth took his name out at Starmount. He's not coaching anywhere. There is also a dark horse no one has mentioned. One that makes me feel real real sure that lowman will not be the guy. This would be a home run for Starmount but they will probably screw it up.
You talking abt the kings mtn coach?

Is Yadkin an open enrollment county, with all the talk of players transferring in from everywhere?

Is Yadkin an open enrollment county, with all the talk of players transferring in from everywhere?
There is one kid on the football team not from jonesville boonville or hamptonville which are all three starmount district and that’s the QB from north surry and his dad is a teacher at Starmount and has been for 20 years. The rest is just talk

Well, I guess the big announcement tonight was not the new coach but the renaming of the athletic stadium at the high school after coach B.W. Holt. With that record why did they wait so long letting that overshadow the coming announcement of the new coach? Reminded me of what happened at East Surry when they named their stadium after David Diamont as they hired Trent Lowman.

They just did interviews this week right? There is alot that has to go into motion before a hire can be announced and my guess is there will be 2 rounds of interviews for the job.

This also is a totally different scenario than Diamont getting the field named after him.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
This event was planned months ago and had no bearing because of the coaching vacancy that opened up. I said that the new coach would not be named until May 15.

3 things announced:

1. New stadium named after Coach Holt
2. New digital video board for the stadium.
3. Formation of the GATA Gridiron Club.

Well, I guess the big announcement tonight was not the new coach but the renaming of the athletic stadium at the high school after coach B.W. Holt. With that record why did they wait so long letting that overshadow the coming announcement of the new coach? Reminded me of what happened at East Surry when they named their stadium after David Diamont as they hired Trent Lowman.
Overshadow?

• Haha
He was the coach at Kings mountain. He knows football and is a physical game coach. Great in weight room too I've heard.

Yep. If they don't give it to him something's wrong. He would do wonders.
I can’t say I disagree I just like the idea of lowman after seeing how he promotes the East Surry kids. Even if he doesn’t stick around at schools long he seems to be all in while he’s there

Idk what options there are, but Starmount hasn't gone outside the lineage with any hires following BW. Hutchens and Johnson both coached under BW and Grinton played at Starmount and worked under Johnson.

Reactions: Orange01
Idk what options there are, but Starmount hasn't gone outside the lineage with any hires following BW. Hutchens and Johnson both coached under BW and Grinton played at Starmount and worked under Johnson.
I think it's WAYY past time to go in a different direction. It probably should've happened after Hutchens and definitely after Johnson. Need a coach that has a tradition of winning and one that brings that aura to the community. Starmount hasn't had that since Holt. No way that I would continue the dead end road of hiring within the Starmount lineage.

Well so much much for idle speculation. No big announcement on Saturday except maybe that EW Wilmoth is not coaching anywhere, but even that is speculation at this point. So at this point in time all anyone really knows, except those few that actually know, is that: Starmount has no coach; Mt Airy is still the anticipated KING for the coming year; some players may or may not be transferring to Starmount; East Wilkes is joining the "coach search" process; and the season starts around August 1.

I have only one thing more to say: Very Interesting. Very Interesting.

JD Adkins was picked as Mount Airy's varsity football coach before or on Friday, May 4th, 2018.
East Surry High School picked Trent Lowman as the new varsity football coach before or on Thursday, April 19th, 2018.
Their process wasted no time and only used their school district leaders/ school board to choose the new coach, thank goodness. If Starmount's new coach is another failure, where will the blame be shifted if it goes in that direction, who knows ?

Last edited:
Good grief! Starmount job came open on April 11th and was open for applications for 2 weeks. Interviews were held on May 2nd. The new head coach will most likely be offered the job this week and the board will have to approve on May 15th.

It will be a little over a month to hire a coach and I’ve seen places take several months.

What are you talking about here? “Their process wasted no time and only used their districts to choose the new coach, thank goodness.”

Good grief! Starmount job came open on April 11th and was open for applications for 2 weeks. Interviews were held on May 2nd. The new head coach will most likely be offered the job this week and the board will have to approve on May 15th.

It will be a little over a month to hire a coach and I’ve seen places take several months.

What are you talking about here? “Their process wasted no time and only used their districts to choose the new coach, thank goodness.”
When you make it known that you are part of the process of choosing the coach then you are opening the door to being pressed for more information on where things stand. I can't remember anyone letting it be known they were part of the process of choosing a new coach before.

Last edited:
I think all she said was that she was on the committee or group that interviewed and processed the applications and are granted interviews she never said she was making the decision.
I also only said she said she was part of the process and never said she would be the only decision maker but I did say they would listen to what she said her choice would be because I think the Starmount community has as much respect for her as she does Starmount because they let her be a part of the process. Sometimes we have to try to dig things out of people as she was sly about Saturday night's happenings at Starmount I have been trying to get more info out of her, also some of us may have thought the new coach would be announced. Also don't think I am being disrespectful but I am a firm believer that if a Staff member or Moderator posts on here then they open their selves to being criticized as they correct or criticize us. It should not be a one-way street. I do respect any Staff member or Moderator on here but they know I will state my opinions as I have seen a few others do when they enter a conversation or post as us members. I think they can be respected but also criticized if they make a thread or post their opinion on here. :);)

Last edited:
When you make it known that you are part of the process of choosing the coach then you are opening the door to being pressed for more information on where things stand. I can't remember anyone letting it be known they were part of the process of choosing a new coach.
I don’t know of any schools that doesn’t have a search committee. Then the hiring committee which is usually paired down to 3 or 4 people. Principal, AD, County AD and maybe 1 teacher.

Gracious Mt. Airy more concerned about this job than Starmount people.

I also only said she said she was part of the process and never said she would be the only decision maker but I did say they would listen to what she said her choice would be because I think the Starmount community has as much respect for her as she does Starmount because they let her be a part of the process. Sometimes we have to try to dig things out of people as she was sly about Saturday night's happenings at Starmount I have been trying to get more info out of her, also some of us may have thought the new coach would be announced. Also don't think I am being disrespectful but I am a firm believer that if a Staff member or Moderator posts on here then they open their selves to being criticized as they correct or criticize us. It should not be a one-way street. I do respect any Staff member or Moderator on here but they know I will state my opinions as I have seen a few others do when they enter a conversation or post as us members. I think they can be respected but also criticized if they make a thread or post their opinion on here. :);)

Do you really think she is going to tell anyone who they have interviewed or going to hire? Some prospective coaches do want to interview without their school knowing it. Some are fully open with their principal. They know the new school is going to call them anyway.

I don’t know of any schools that doesn’t have a search committee. Then the hiring committee which is usually paired down to 3 or 4 people. Principal, AD, County AD and maybe 1 teacher.

Gracious Mt. Airy more concerned about this job than Starmount people.
I am not Mount Airy you dumb azz West Forsyth fan as you are not West Forsyth. I went there 55 years ago and still pull for them. You always try to put something we fans say on the school. You love getting a response from me and I try to ignore you most of the time but I will oblige you this once. o_O:cool:

Last edited:
TD, Sportsnut is right. Anyone with a critical thought process should have known the coach wasn't being announced on Saturday. This isn't college football were you interview on Monday and the moving van is pulling up Tuesday.

OMG, I haven't seen this much "interest" since the playoffs last year with almost everyone one wanting Mt Airy to bite the dust! LOL

I just think all the interest is an indication of how much RESPECT there is for the Starmount Program and Community. And Deana, with all due respect, did flirt out "big neWs" coming Saturday.
So our neighbors to the South should feel excited that they are so RESPECTED and everyone is anticipating the process and eventual news of whom the new Coach will be.

And the fact that Deana is a part of the process is just flat out IMPRESSIVE. Congratulations to her and to the Administration for the process.

OMG, I haven't seen this much "interest" since the playoffs last year with almost everyone one wanting Mt Airy to bite the dust! LOL

I just think all the interest is an indication of how much RESPECT there is for the Starmount Program and Community. And Deana, with all due respect, did flirt out "big neWs" coming Saturday.
So our neighbors to the South should feel excited that they are so RESPECTED and everyone is anticipating the process and eventual news of whom the new Coach will be.

And the fact that Deana is a part of the process is just flat out IMPRESSIVE. Congratulations to her and to the Administration for the process.
Well said REWhitley ! ! ! Go 🐻's 🏈

FWIW, I said that the new coach would not be announced until mid-May (May 15th) four times in this thread. The school board set that date to approve the new coach.

I also said there were many projects going on and some (B)ig ne(W)s (BW) would be announced on Saturday. Out of respect for the Holt family, it was not publicly known until Saturday.

The event we had raised 5 figures so things are looking good on Longtown Road.

Thanks Mr. Whitley!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT