ADVERTISEMENT

St. Pauls vs SouthWest Edgecombe

14-0 final. Kept us out of the end zone from the 1 to end the game. In spite of the loss, it was a very good, hard fought game.

Reactions: UNC91
I'm ok with the first two. First game, no time to learn new offense, 3A school. Second game, was vs a top 2 1A school. But this one...😬. We had our chances. On the doorstep 3 times. But let me tell ya... Watching this offense is hard when you don't have the horses for it.

SWE
Great game game my friend. I was on my toes for the entire first half ....like when is someone going to score.

My thoughts was obviously SP got a hold of SWE run game. Why didnt SWE switch to the air raid. They could have ran on to the outside as well

I thought your thin running back was getting the whole he needed in the first half. It just wasnt enough for the second half though

Now SP plays @Washington - a well coached program.

We left a couple of big pass plays out there. The drop right before the half after that goal line int hurt. Another play, there was a man wide open 50 yards down field but our qb threw it to the man in the flat. Then the was a great defensive play by y'all to bat it away in the end zone. So there were at least opportunities there. But it seemed like we got scared to throw in the second half, until it was obvious that we had to throw. We were content to keep trying to run through the line, letting the clock run. There was no sense of urgency or clock management in the 4th. I couldn't understand it. I had to disagree with my fellow Cougar concerning our plays being dictated by how your guys were lined up, because after the 20th time of trying the same thing without success, you gotta try something else. But, I hope we at least provide SP with its toughest game of the season. Your scores indicate as much.
We have history with Washington. That will be another tough game. That's a solid program over there. Good luck.

I couldn't understand it. I had to disagree with my fellow Cougar concerning our plays being dictated by how your guys were lined up, because after the 20th time of trying the same thing without success, you gotta try something else.
That was exactly what I was seeing. They never tried something else. It may have made a difference

This post is coming from a fan of a team who has run the flex bone for at least 15 years.

There are two main ingredients needed to run the bone successfully. A good offensive line and a qb that makes good decisions. Speed on the wings also helps keep the defense honest. As someone stated earlier in this thread, it is a fun offense to watch when it’s clicking.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
This post is coming from a fan of a team who has run the flex bone for at least 15 years.

There are two main ingredients needed to run the bone successfully. A good offensive line and a qb that makes good decisions. Speed on the wings also helps keep the defense honest. As someone stated earlier in this thread, it is a fun offense to watch when it’s clicking.
All the high light film I saw from earlier in the year they were running flex bone. The high lights I saw from this game they were in wing tee. Just a small sample though. Still looks like we're stuck in the 70's or 80's though. I used to go to Beddingfield years ago when they ran spread offense. I'd skip SWE games if Beddingfield was playing at home.

There is one element you may have left out. At LEAST the threat of a pass. The SP teams I saw were always prolific running teams but could (and did) sucessfully pass from time to time when the occasion called for it. Trouble with most of the eastern teams, is that they dont. Or cant. Sometimes its enough to win with one dimension. When they run up against a Reidsville or Shelby or a few other teams that can do both, more often than not, they lose. I wonder if there were 25 total passes thrown in all the games played east of fayetteville all season especially in the smaller schools.

When South Point played a Shelby this year, they racked up over 400 yards without one single pass attempt. But you are correct, teams need to be able to pass at least occasionally if for no other reason than to keep he defense honest and keep them from stacking the box. Like any other offense, you won’t be successful without good linemen up front .

CrazyHeel the spread offense seems to need more elements to be successful. Again starts up front. Gotta be able to pass block (more difficult than run blocking, got to hold the block longer). Gotta have an accurate qb that also makes good decisions. Gotta have receivers that run good routes and can catch. Most small schools don’t have the talent to successfully do all those things. If one area fails the offense fails. That’s why they are more committed to running the ball.

CrazyHeel the spread offense seems to need more elements to be successful. Again starts up front. Gotta be able to pass block (more difficult than run blocking, got to hold the block longer). Gotta have an accurate qb that also makes good decisions. Gotta have receivers that run good routes and can catch. Most small schools don’t have the talent to successfully do all those things. If one area fails the offense fails. That’s why they are more committed to running the ball.
We have the talent. We just have to develop qb's earlier to throwing. Any kid could be a quarter back in our system. It doesn't take a great, or even a good athlete to take a snap and hand the ball off.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT