ADVERTISEMENT

Sport Sawyer out at Manteo

Sep 25, 2021

1-9 season, and new coach next season. Best wishes to Sport Sawyer. Even though it ended terribly record wise, he did a lot of great things, and even took us to the 3rd round three seasons ago.

My question here is can Manteo ever be a power again? Us old timers remember when we were prominent, but that was before First Flight split up from us.

1-9 season, and new coach next season. Best wishes to Sport Sawyer. Even though it ended terribly record wise, he did a lot of great things, and even took us to the 3rd round three seasons ago.

My question here is can Manteo ever be a power again? Us old timers remember when we were prominent, but that was before First Flight split up from us.
He may have sucked at coaching but has a really cool name ....so there's that .

Reactions: UNC91
Didn't "suck as a coach" did a good job. Teams were prepared. His squad was young and they play in a difficult league now, where Hertford, Northeastern, and Edenton are perennial powers.
Sorry good buddy.....I made an assumption which you know what that does. I am learning more about 1a ball this season. Good luck to Manteo on find his replacement.

Sport knew his craft, but COVID hit us really hard. I also think he lost the locker room, but whenever there's losing, someone is to blame. I'm hoping the next hire will be someone who can bring that blue collar mentality. Lack of weight room always equals losses.

With smaller schools like us ( Manteo ) there are cycles of good athletic teams and not so good. Evan after the split of schools we have had success. Coach Sawyer was dealing with a situation like nothing that's ever happened before. During the covid pandemic our students were not allowed to come together and work out like some of the other area schools did. The youngsters during the last spring season and this fall (basically a j v ) team starting in a new conference in which we have no business being in, were like bait thrown in to a fish bowel. With the RIGHT coaching hire and the young fellers we have now and the success of the Manteo Braves Middle School Football team the last few years plus some good athletes coming thru the Rec.Football program right now we will win again.

Everyone had to adjust due to covid. Did he have the support of admin and school district or did they force him into unrealistic rules to train his team. I understand working out in small groups and things like that but it seemed some school districts went overboard in allowing coaches to work with their teams.

Everyone had to adjust due to covid. Did he have the support of admin and school district or did they force him into unrealistic rules to train his team. I understand working out in small groups and things like that but it seemed some school districts went overboard in allowing coaches to work with their teams.
No could not do nothing Adm An Dist.

• Haha
Reactions: daagoob and UNC91
That is a tough situation to have put him in. 2 seasons ago was real bad but this past season I think a lot of districts was as normal as possible with weight training.

Reactions: daagoob
He is a solid coach, has been for 20 years. I am sure if he wishes to continue coaching he will find a spot. Hope his replacement finds success! They visited WO this year, and seemed to have some young talent.

People in the area know how tough it is with current admin too. I know MomsCall claimed that wasn't a problem on another thread, but it is. You gotta have admin that want you to win. Current people don't care about sports other than to use it as a disciplinary action (if you don't do your homework, you can't play). I know school is more important than sports, but they still mean a lot to us.

Too easy to blames coaches and most of the time there are other factors. SO the admin is a real problem? That is why I was asking about the weight room. I am sure if schools across the state that are successful are having regular attendance and psuing the team hard in the weight room all schools could. The question is do the admin support the coach or not.

• Haha
Reactions: Griddie and UNC91
People in the area know how tough it is with current admin too. I know MomsCall claimed that wasn't a problem on another thread, but it is. You gotta have admin that want you to win. Current people don't care about sports other than to use it as a disciplinary action (if you don't do your homework, you can't play). I know school is more important than sports, but they still mean a lot to us.
Good post

• Haha
Reactions: UNC91 and RRHSJAX91
Good post
Too easy to blames coaches and most of the time there are other factors. SO the admin is a real problem? That is why I was asking about the weight room. I am sure if schools across the state that are successful are having regular attendance and psuing the team hard in the weight room all schools could. The question is do the admin support the coach or not.
no

• Haha
Then it will be hard to build a program and the coaches in the area outside of a young wippersnapper or a guy looking for the last job or 2nd chance to be the next man.

Reactions: Griddie and UNC91
So all it would have taken is more wanting to win? I just find that a little hard to believe. A lot of people want to win, that is not what makes it happen. Also, I can't imagine any school not wanting their students to be successful no matter if they care about sports or not. I just don't see how certain people wanting to win more would have changed anything. I assume the players and coaches are the ones who wanted to win the most and they held that power during practice and games in their own hands.

I also don't understand the homework part of the comment but if a kid is not doing their school work and failing classes by rule they will be ineligible to play anyways. Why is this only a problem for football and other sports not impacted by this? I don't get why there can't be a push for both high academics and good athletics. Why does it have to be one or the other?

Just because you miss one homework doesn't mean you're failing a class.

Many sports are impacted by this. Compared to First Flight, we are a joke. This is no fault of Alfie Wheeler, our AD, but instead the school not placing a lot of importance in sports. Quit saying we are successful as a school when we really aren't. Compare us to First Flight (IN OUR OWN COUNTY) and tell me how well we compare.

• Haha
Easy comparison, it’s reported every year, Manteo High School is consistently the top school in the county and kitty hawk elementary is the only school that sometimes gets first other than Manteo. Just off a quick search on recent numbers shows Manteo math proficiency scores between 65 and 69%. First Flight is 50-54%. For a comparison, North Carolina public schools average is 42%. Maybe you should stop saying we are a bad school. Having a good school is something we all should be proud of.

I never said athletics were not important or else why would any of us be talking here. My only question was why can’t we have both. Why can’t we work to have our school be successful both academically and athletically.

Reactions: UNC91 and daagoob
Easy comparison, it’s reported every year, Manteo High School is consistently the top school in the county and kitty hawk elementary is the only school that sometimes gets first other than Manteo. Just off a quick search on recent numbers shows Manteo math proficiency scores between 65 and 69%. First Flight is 50-54%. For a comparison, North Carolina public schools average is 42%. Maybe you should stop saying we are a bad school. Having a good school is something we all should be proud of.

I never said athletics were not important or else why would any of us be talking here. My only question was why can’t we have both. Why can’t we work to have our school be successful both academically and athletically.
It sounds as if your administration is working hard to be strong academically, but athletically not as much, sort of if they win great, if not meh.

I thought this was a football forum, hence why I'm discussing athletics and not academics. I've never said Manteo is a bad academic place, just not a great environment for coaches. Manteo is not as good athletically as First Flight, and it's not even close. Many would argue FFHS has the upper hand in CO support too.

• Haha
I was directly mentioned and responded to what was said. You said to give you the comparison so I did, that was all.

• Haha
Goobs you got all these cats thinking you can win footballs in the Northeast lol. Not been good in 100 years lol.....

You're right about First Flight in football. I am talking about the other sports. First Flight has won several state titles already in their short tenure.

I agree with you UNC91, but I think we can at least be viable. We will never be Shelby or Reidsville.

Just because you miss one homework doesn't mean you're failing a class.

Many sports are impacted by this. Compared to First Flight, we are a joke. This is no fault of Alfie Wheeler, our AD, but instead the school not placing a lot of importance in sports. Quit saying we are successful as a school when we really aren't. Compare us to First Flight (IN OUR OWN COUNTY) and tell me how well we compare.
Our Adm is the reason Walt Davis left for South Central Then Came Eddie Twyne who wasn't going to leave because of being coach in his hometown where he played and lives so he was stuck with Adm. Next Sport Sawyer had some early success and then falls victim to covid and a Adm who doesn't like the football program. Then we get moved to a larger conference with a group of very young players and it showed. Our Men's Soccer which is having great success has skilled athletics who would no doubt help the football team if there wasn't soccer. When Plymouth was in their prime they didn't have soccer. Not knocking soccer because their are other sports that our athletics play also and that is their choice. Point being Manteo is trying to support the same number of athletics teams that we had before the first flight high school was opened and we just don't have the number of students to compete at a high level in them. The Academics are first class but the number of students to fill all these teams spread us thin.

Ill
Goobs you got all these cats thinking you can win footballs in the Northeast lol. Not been good in 100 years lol.....
I’ll take the coach’s position at Manteo and take them to the Promise Land. I’ll do it for free. All they have to do is give me a gas card. We have nowhere to go but up. It can’t get any worse, I’ll have those kids believing again and buying into a whole new vision.

Ill

I’ll take the coach’s position at Manteo and take them to the Promise Land. I’ll do it for free. All they have to do is give me a gas card. We have nowhere to go but up. It can’t get any worse, I’ll have those kids believing again and buying into a whole new vision.

Lol goob would be recruiting up an down the coast. Busing in kids from Florida weekly. Would love to see goobs with the headset on the sidelines..I'd go to.every game hahahahha he wouldn't punt, onside kick everytime. Would be entertaining to the max

Lol goob would be recruiting up an down the coast. Busing in kids from Florida weekly. Would love to see goobs with the headset on the sidelines..I'd go to.every game hahahahha he wouldn't punt, onside kick everytime. Would be entertaining to the max
^^^^^ THIS, 3 years we’d put Manteo football 🏈 on the map guaranteed.

Sport knew his craft, but COVID hit us really hard. I also think he lost the locker room, but whenever there's losing, someone is to blame. I'm hoping the next hire will be someone who can bring that blue collar mentality. Lack of weight room always equals losses.
Lack of weight room....do you mean the kids do not show up and lift or there is no weight room at all at Manteo HS?

• Haha

Pics show pretty nice weight room

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT