ADVERTISEMENT

Southfork 2A predictions 2019

I’d like to see North Lincoln and East Lincoln move up to 3A... and Lincolnton and West Lincoln in the Southwestern 2A. I’d like to see Burns, Shelby, East Rutherford, Chase, RS East Gaston, Lincolnton and West Lincoln in our 2021-2025 conference. Otherwise, our AD thinks we may be stuck with 6 teams. South Point will probably move back up to 3A. Or we could see Patton and East Burke back in our conference (and maybe Draughn if they don’t drop to 1A). But probably not with East Gaston in the picture.
North will be 3A next realignment, East will most likely be as well with all the new developments being built within spitting distance of the school. It is mind boggling to me that in the last realignment we weren't put into the Southwestern 2A. Geographically it makes perfect sense to have us, west, burns, shelby, ER, Chase, and RS in the same conference. Our middle schools all play each other so it would make perfect sense.

North will be 3A next realignment, East will most likely be as well with all the new developments being built within spitting distance of the school. It is mind boggling to me that in the last realignment we weren't put into the Southwestern 2A. Geographically it makes perfect sense to have us, west, burns, shelby, ER, Chase, and RS in the same conference. Our middle schools all play each other so it would make perfect sense.
You on to something big on that realignment. West Lincoln sits kinda close to 18 so they got a good beltway travel to all these schools even though it would be further drive

Agreed. Burns has only played Lincolnton High a handful of times and never played West Lincoln High in football despite being in a conference with them in middle school perhaps as long as BJHS/BMS has been open. We’re right down the road.

Agreed. Burns has only played Lincolnton High a handful of times and never played West Lincoln High in football despite being in a conference with them in middle school perhaps as long as BJHS/BMS has been open.
Crazy as close as y'all are to West y'all haven't played. Should be a rivalry imo. Hopefully we can get you guys on the schedule soon either way. There would be some great games.

North's enrollment has dropped off and is in the 980 range, so they're not 3A yet. If I'm not mistaken, I believe this year's enrollment dictates realignment. Can anyone confirm?

North's enrollment has dropped off and is in the 980 range, so they're not 3A yet. If I'm not mistaken, I believe this year's enrollment dictates realignment. Can anyone confirm?
That number is right on the line. More 3A schools with lesser numbers are dropping to 2A so that's why I see North getting bumped up. Plus the new developments around the lake. Not sure how the enrollment numbers work though you may be right but not sure.

Next years numbers will be used for realignment. Depending on how much bigger the incoming 9th grade class is compared to the outgoing senior class will give you a rough estimate of size. East was at 950 this year and the incoming class is supposedly 20-30 bigger so that would put east around 970-980 range for realignment. Not sure about norths numbers.

Dplubo, how quickly do you see the new developments effecting Easts enrollment? I know the board is thinking about building a new elementary school down that way. Could see a possible scenario where lines are redrawn as well.

Okay. Had to do some digging with my connections in Lincoln. Realignment will be based on next year's first 20-days enrollment numbers. North's current enrollment 9-12 is 977. 231 are seniors, and the 8th grade (rising freshmen) are at a low 244. That, according to their past five year's 9th grade numbers, is the lowest. Housing units going up in the East Lincoln district far outstrip those going up in the North area, but many of those will be occupied first by couples without children. It will be interesting next fall. North's projection of 990 still has it in the high 2A range...BUT, with one-time transfers now available for students, that could change the game quickly. Somewhere down the road, Wolf, lines will have to be adjusted, possibly to pull more North area students towards Lincolnton, where enrollment is dropping.

Okay. Had to do some digging with my connections in Lincoln. Realignment will be based on next year's first 20-days enrollment numbers. North's current enrollment 9-12 is 977. 231 are seniors, and the 8th grade (rising freshmen) are at a low 244. That, according to their past five year's 9th grade numbers, is the lowest. Housing units going up in the East Lincoln district far outstrip those going up in the North area, but many of those will be occupied first by couples without children. It will be interesting next fall. North's projection of 990 still has it in the high 2A range...BUT, with one-time transfers now available for students, that could change the game quickly. Somewhere down the road, Wolf, lines will have to be adjusted, possibly to pull more North area students towards Lincolnton, where enrollment is dropping.
Thanks for the info. I thought when they first drew the lines for north it was a bit funky but what do I know. Looking at the map it looks weird for everyone in general. Got kids that live 5 minutes from Lincolnton high going to West, and some just outside Boger City going to East/North. If the lines don't get redrawn we will be 1A soon.

@puppy4lyfe... not sure how quickly the new developments will impact east, the article I read said that for every 100 houses built you can expect around 35 or so students added from k - 12. So we would have to know how many houses are being built just to make a guess. I really can’t keep up with all of the subdivisions being built. I think east will stay in 2a for at least one more alignment.

Well guys I'm back. Sorry been busy with traveling and work. Update: Basketball at West sucked as it always does and I projected. Glad it's over and my son didn't get hurt lol. As you may have hear Sain is retiring; no word on who the head coach will be but rumor has it, it will be Ponder. Other rumors have surfaced on the West campus with possible transfers coming in because of head coach changes at other schools and the record we had along with our returning players. Not at liberty what players are on the rumor mill but if they pan out will be a real good addition to our squad next year.

Well guys I'm back. Sorry been busy with traveling and work. Update: Basketball at West sucked as it always does and I projected. Glad it's over and my son didn't get hurt lol. As you may have hear Sain is retiring; no word on who the head coach will be but rumor has it, it will be Ponder. Other rumors have surfaced on the West campus with possible transfers coming in because of head coach changes at other schools and the record we had along with our returning players. Not at liberty what players are on the rumor mill but if they pan out will be a real good addition to our squad next year.
Coming over hog hill?

Reactions: burnsbulldogtweeter
Zach Smith has signed with Brevard College. Also expect another player or two to go the juco route.

I know this ain’t football but ALOT of players are out on the diamond and track. How’s the season look for both these sports at North? I’m knocked backwards at how Sorus is just good at every thing and will be a standout athlete this spring and should be a beast when Aug rolls around.

I know this ain’t football but ALOT of players are out on the diamond and track. How’s the season look for both these sports at North? I’m knocked backwards at how Sorus is just good at every thing and will be a standout athlete this spring and should be a beast when Aug rolls around.

Thanks Burke! North will have a great track and baseball team this year! they are deep with athletes in both sports. Jake is getting lots of interest in track..Official visit to Naval Academy in a few weeks and West Point coming soon(probably decathlete.) New Balance Nationals this weekend. Working hard on the Football front too.... that's a tougher nut to crack though

Should be a fun spring!

Last edited:
Thanks Burke! North will have a great track and baseball team this year! they are deep with athletes in both sports. Jake is getting lots of interest in track..Official visit to Naval Academy in a few weeks and West Point coming soon(probably decathlete.) New Balance Nationals this weekend. Working hard on the Football front too.... that's a tougher nut to crack though;)

Should be a fun spring!

Saw results of the Bunker Hill kickoff track meet. No relays hmmm but looked like it’d been a big exciting meet. I mention track on here cause this is were the football players take off the pads and test their strength and speed. Linemen throwing shot/disc, RBs WRs and DBs sprinting and jumping and of course cross country boys doing their thing. For NL I was wondering did Sorus have a baseball game that day? Were was Jalen Ward? Ty Williams making his big appearance, at 12.1 100m. Way y’all talked him up I was figuring 11.8 range for a freshman but it’s first meet jitters so I know he’ll grow and improve. Not bad for the young man. Our champ in my senior year made state his jr and senior years only ran 11.9s n such when he was a freshman. Guess Cribb didn’t wanna run. Saw were Hibritens Gee Witherspoon had a slower day but inside scoop says he’s bulking up for college. Was disappointed to learn Hibritens fastest man on football team and prob the whole school ain’t even running this year. Yeah, Gee mighta had the spotlight carrying the rock but he ain’t the fastest lol.

Sad to see Bunker Hill has raw speed but won’t help the football team. Just from same source, they have all track guys with no interest in the pigskin. Prob needs to change at some point. There’s athletes roaming the halls in that school.

Last edited:
Couldn't tell you much about track. As for football, kids are in the weight room and getting some good field work in. Glass is recruiting the halls from what I have heard and getting kids out

Reactions: LHSfaninVA
Gee ran an 11.05 as a sophomore I think. Gained some weight last year and even more this year!

To my knowledge no one has ran a faster time at HHS than Gee’s 11.05. Logan and Brown had similar times but don’t think they were ever faster. As I noted before Gee was legit football fast! Bunker Hill wasn’t although they had great track speed. In 2010 Isbell ran 10.68 school record in State finals but finished 3rd go 2 Crest guys!

Bulking up will sometimes slow a man down a half a step or two but sometimes even the bulky ones can be super quick. Great example of bulk with super speed is(out of area, out of forum perspective and out of time frame lol) Fred Staton- West Charlotte 99’ A real war horse that finished top 5 in 100M Big fella. Went on to play RB for Wake Forest but no idea after. There’s many like him though here and there, that’s just one I remember.

Gee will be a major asset to Elon. I wish him the best and for a great track season to top off his remaining high school athletic function. I wish all great athletic seniors would play something in the spring cause it’s usually a sad emotional time to leave the HS arena all together but we’ve all done it and all will do it. Life is short and definitely fast. Go all out every min til the cap n gown day is what I think about it.

Gee ran an 11.05 as a sophomore I think. Gained some weight last year and even more this year!
11.05 is fast, especially for a soph. One name that stands out in speed and always will is West Caldwell’s Willy Perry(grad in 06’ ran track for Florida Gators) Just a DB on the football team if I’m not mistaken and some would argue and say “yeah if he woulda came around 6 or 7 years later he’d a played for Hibriten” LOL Maybe He would have and coulda made a great slot receiver even in a run heavy offense. If he got just a few inches of separation in a pass play it’d be over that’s for sure.

Track speed and football speed vary between a DB and a WR. A DB that runs 10.8 guarding a WR that runs 11.3 can still get burnt on a play if he’s more tired and less shifty. Same for a MLB and RB. Ok all this is off the subject but it’s spring and we’re just having fun guys. Throw some track in the talk cause a lot of football players run track.

Talking to an old Freedom track coach a while back he said they would have meets at Lincolnton (prob back in 70s early 80s)and the EL and Lincolnton runners would trash talk in the stands about football and one time I think he said a fight broke out. Funny stuff.

Can't talk much on track, mines on the diamond and weight room getting ready for football. He did post the fastest 60 time on the baseball team though (6.9). Not a speed demon by no means but fairly good considering country boy linebacker from West Lincoln. His home to first speed is visually really fast and improved from a year in the weight room. Excited for June and the football season beginning.

Baseball usually is a strength to West Lincoln. Have you guys ever had a shot at South Caldwell? Straight up powerhouse of the area for years but lately they been good but not great. This would be a baseball thread I know but we’ll keep it South Fork spring related.

We are 4-2 so far. We are struggling at pitching this year due to the of our top 3 pitchers got hurt in basketball. One will be back in a couple weeks, the other unfortunately is out for the season and good be out for football also. We are making contact with the ball great. Some games they are dropping in and the game we have lost; just can't get them to fall in.we usually get better as the season goes on. Not real happy with the coaching staff. But I will leave that one alone. As far as South Caldwell goes..... We scrimmage them every season. It is a scrimmage; not a true testimate but we lost by one run in last inning this year.

My boy did hit the 1200 lbs. Club last week and said he could have hit 1300. He took some weight off of all his maxes to make sure he got 1200 in the four lifts. Said 1300 is no problem.

My boy did hit the 1200 lbs. Club last week and said he could have hit 1300. He took some weight off of all his maxes to make sure he got 1200 in the four lifts. Said 1300 is no problem.

Impressive numbers West! North baseball might be too young this year.... a little rocky the last 3 games.

Ty got 11.9 last meet hand timed. Still kinda cold too.. numbers should be going down as it heats up. Jumping close to 19’. Kids an athlete.

Reactions: Burkeforreal
Impressive numbers West! North baseball might be too young this year.... a little rocky the last 3 games.

Ty got 11.9 last meet hand timed. Still kinda cold too.. numbers should be going down as it heats up. Jumping close to 19’. Kids an athlete.

Yeah man I saw that. Kid is a small beast with tons of potential. No telling what he can do in years to come. Running for Castro might be a great incentive for him so that ought to keep him at North and not jump ship. I sure hope so especially for yalls sake. Hey if your one of the runners let me know what Norths record is for the 4 x200. Jalens 400 was in 52 range I saw. Maybe he just didn’t have any push cause he’s a war horse in the 400 for sure.

Last year Jalen got much faster as weather heated up. He will have a strong shot at sub 50. County championship yesterday. North boys win and girls lost to east by 2.

Strong day for our fottball boys. Surprise of day was our QB Beard running 23.5 in 200 tying Jalen. I will check into the 4X200

Last year Jalen got much faster as weather heated up. He will have a strong shot at sub 50. County championship yesterday. North boys win and girls lost to east by 2.

Strong day for our fottball boys. Surprise of day was our QB Beard running 23.5 in 200 tying Jalen. I will check into the 4X200

I hate they have these meets on church nights . Wasn’t the case in my days running and coaching. Usually always on a Tuesday or a thrusday. Glad to see team is doing well. I think the girls should take EL by conference. Will be interesting to see a scrambling QB gaining speed

Reactions: beamer24
North will contend for state as a team.

They certainly got the depth for it in the distance events and Jake Sorus will be doing his thing in shot/disc. Just not sure if it will be enough as a team cause there’s some boogers down East that can get at it. I forgot who won it last year.

North has home meet Wednesday and will host conference championship following Wednesday.

North has a lot of depth. Very talented in distance as expected.. Beard is cooking the 300 H and will also qualify for states in discus and probably 200. He’s a 130’ guy on better throws. North also has 3 guys that have run faster than our previous school record..
Brady/ Soorus/Jalen all have 11.34’s. Jake was 2nd to Lincolnton kid at county... 11.08 and 11.1 both rounded to 11.34 for FAT time. ( Witherspoon is 11.15 I think). Will have to be a little faster to be in top 4 at regionals to proceed to states. Brady Jalen beard will be strong in 200 and Jalen has a strong shot at Sub 50 400. Jake will likely qualify in multiple eventsDiscus/shot/LJ.. not sure what they’ll do as 4th event. 100m, 110h, or HJ.

Last edited:
A little off topic but saw where yesterday a couple of our young coaches took a group of kids up to Virginia Tech for a visit. Glad to see the young men getting some exposure and experience a college visit.

Mack George is gonna be a great one one day. He’s a good young coach.. I wish North would have been able to keep him. I see him at all the track meets too. He definitely goes above and beyond for the kids.

North has home meet Wednesday and will host conference championship following Wednesday.

North has a lot of depth. Very talented in distance as expected.. Beard is cooking the 300 H and will also qualify for states in discus and probably 200. He’s a 130’ guy on better throws. North also has 3 guys that have run faster than our previous school record..
Brady/ Soorus/Jalen all have 11.34’s. Jake was 2nd to Lincolnton kid at county... 11.08 and 11.1 both rounded to 11.34 for FAT time. ( Witherspoon is 11.15 I think). Will have to be a little faster to be in top 4 at regionals to proceed to states. Brady Jalen beard will be strong in 200 and Jalen has a strong shot at Sub 50 400. Jake will likely qualify in multiple eventsDiscus/shot/LJ.. not sure what they’ll do as 4th event. 100m, 110h, or HJ.

Sorus is just one of those guys that can do anything. I’d try him out in 110H. He can prob ace that too. Good form can beat speed in that event.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT