ADVERTISEMENT

Southfork 2A predictions 2019

West17

Oct 26, 2018
Wanting to hear some of the predictions for our conference next year. Key returners and such. What does my fellow southfork breatern think?

I would think North has a pretty good shot. Their JVs were pretty tough. I think they have some key returners as well. Obviously, they are losing one of their main players in Cribbs. Is that freshman stud sticking around?

I haven't heard if he is sticking around or not. Freshmen studs come and go. Haven't seen him play. I've heard he was good in middle school and jv but we all know there is a big difference between that and Varsity. If he wants to be a force then he's got to put in the work in the weight room and the off season. All studs have potential but it takes work to be more than a one hit wonder. Not knocking him just stating the facts that we all know.

Sorous is thier early mule. He has talent and fast. If that kid grows in the off season he will be a hell of a RB.

My Rebels is hard to determine right now. We are returning most of our defence bwhich was strong this year. All of our defensive key players will be back. We have two good backs to fill in for what we are losing. QB position will be a battle between the two back ups, both of whom are talented and two different styles. Offensive line will be our determining factor. That is where we are losing the most talent.

Glad to see someone started this. Sounds like y’all got pigskin fever and we hadn’t started basketball playoffs yet. Funny how sometimes you see the football schools not do much of anything in basketball. But some are just good at everything and EL has held that rep for a while.

I’m gonna assume Bandys will still be good simply cause it’s Bandys and good coaching staff but North should pull this one by 1 or 2 TDs if they got as much returning as we hope.
Maiden will always be Maiden and will prob battle North for first with Bandys right there in the mix. Them losing that RB will be a major drop off but not like they can’t overcome it. Maiden also soild JV squad last year(2017) so I wouldn’t count them out. Lincolnton and East will be much improved however I’m going with West having enough left over to take them again and possibly take 3rd and go over East and Lincolnton one more time at least. Newton will still feel the sting of losing all that they did however they’re good for 3rd to 5th. No reason mentioning LNC- but expect them to be decent at every other sport this year. North CAN take the crown next year and it’ll be their best chance at taking it for the first time. On paper as of now their only loss in reg season should be Alexander Central.- unbeaten JV team with soild middle school teams filling in to the JV and a lot returning on varsity. And of course the playoff loss. Shelby will get the 1 seed next year so may not even reach them. That’s my take on all this.

Expect a South Point or Hibriten matchup in playoffs. SP will be good, Hib will be good too but suffer from massive senior losses. This goes for a couple of the SFork teams not just North.

Last edited:
A little early for me to make predictions because there is a lot than happen between now and then. But I'm hearing there will be more than one SF team looking for a new head coach possibly... Right now I would say that North should be the favorite given what they bring back, I'd probably put Bandys or Maiden second or third, then from there its a toss up. Lincolnton will be young, I expect some freshmen to get some playing time on the varsity.

A little early for me to make predictions because there is a lot than happen between now and then. But I'm hearing there will be more than one SF team looking for a new head coach possibly... Right now I would say that North should be the favorite given what they bring back, I'd probably put Bandys or Maiden second or third, then from there its a toss up. Lincolnton will be young, I expect some freshmen to get some playing time on the varsity.

I try not to jump too early on predictions myself but just for fun based on what we saw this year, what’s graduating, and coming around the corner this is the most likely paths.

All those freshmen for Lincolnton is gonna end up paying off in the long run.

If you can determine anything from two years ago. West had 3 loses on jv; Bandys, Newton Conover and Maiden. That season was not the same team as this year's varsity. 12 sophmores that was supposed to be on JV was on Varsity with 8 of them starting. QB also went out 5th game of the season that year. Bandys will be strong and big. North will make a run because of speed (probably one of the faster teams in conference if not the fastest), Maiden is a toss up (haven't seen much growth size/speed wise in the last two seasons. Newton will be better but too young I think. Lincolnton will have athletes but a new coach (could go either way).I think East will be the dark horse next season ( alot of dedicated underclassmen on that team this season). Don't count us West boys out.

Oh and we suck at basketball even though my son plays lol. Facts is Facts, love my son but basketball is definitely not our sport. Baseball on the other hand is a different story.

Reactions: Burkeforreal
Wolf I've heard the same rumors of you are referring to West. May be true. If so Avery will more than likely be named the head coach which will not change anything. He has been the play caller for a very long time now. Hate to see Tom hang it up if it's true. Tom Sain is one of the most caring individuals I have had the privilege of knowing since I was a little boy.

If you can determine anything from two years ago. West had 3 loses on jv; Bandys, Newton Conover and Maiden. That season was not the same team as this year's varsity. 12 sophmores that was supposed to be on JV was on Varsity with 8 of them starting. QB also went out 5th game of the season that year. Bandys will be strong and big. North will make a run because of speed (probably one of the faster teams in conference if not the fastest), Maiden is a toss up (haven't seen much growth size/speed wise in the last two seasons. Newton will be better but too young I think. Lincolnton will have athletes but a new coach (could go either way).I think East will be the dark horse next season ( alot of dedicated underclassmen on that team this season). Don't count us West boys out.

I’d put it all in a nutshell- Every team in this conference except Newton and LNC and maybe Lincolnton cause of youth has a fair shot at the crown. Every game between all these teams except one or 2 will be by 2 scores or less. North will be the favorite for now but if kids get lazy or complacent or Williams leaves/ don’t improve in wgt room and skill set they can fall to 2nd or 3rd. I don’t know of THAT many but I’ve heard of middle school/ JV sensation players not pan out much on varsity. And there’s also breakthrough players that just bust out of their shells that were nonfactors the year before.

Oh and we suck at basketball even though my son plays lol. Facts is Facts, love my son but basketball is definitely not our sport. Baseball on the other hand is a different story.

East Burke boys has been a joke for a couple years but if any of you guys wanna catch a few hoops games in playoffs if u like watching girls hoops(all this while waiting on track then FB to start back up lol) EB girls got it going on. Lost only 2 seniors last year and they made 4th round. Come on out to Icard one night in late Feb.

I’m ready for football and don’t wanna ver off the subject but if any good hoop action going on y’all can drop alittle news on this page and let us know.

I’d put it all in a nutshell- Every team in this conference except Newton and LNC and maybe Lincolnton cause of youth has a fair shot at the crown. Every game between all these teams except one or 2 will be by 2 scores or less. North will be the favorite for now but if kids get lazy or complacent or Williams leaves/ don’t improve in wgt room and skill set they can fall to 2nd or 3rd. I don’t know of THAT many but I’ve heard of middle school/ JV sensation players not pan out much on varsity. And there’s also breakthrough players that just bust out of their shells that were nonfactors the year before.
Norths middle school didn't have much of anything from what I could tell this season. But I've heard some guys might be on the move within the county...

Wolf I've heard the same rumors of you are referring to West. May be true. If so Avery will more than likely be named the head coach which will not change anything. He has been the play caller for a very long time now. Hate to see Tom hang it up if it's true. Tom Sain is one of the most caring individuals I have had the privilege of knowing since I was a little boy.
Certain coach might be interested in west.... if Tom retires I would maybe give Minor from Foard a call, he stepped down the other day. But also hearing Maiden might be open soon.

Norths middle school didn't have much of anything from what I could tell this season. But I've heard some guys might be on the move within the county...

Prob cause a good class left. North middle is prob not a school that reloads much. I’m sure at their very worst they’d beat EB middle. That’s not saying much though lol

Prob cause a good class left. North middle is prob not a school that reloads much.
Past few years they have had some East kids and 2 or 3 Ltown kids on their team in middle school but they are running the option so those kids will know what to do once they get to high school. Bazzle is very hands on with what they do.

17, what does West bring back? I really feel like this conference is going to be wide open. North is the clear favorite though.

Talk about wide open conferences any non Hibriten team in that conference is wide open....down to Draughn and East Burke. The teams in the middle of that are crazy wide open.

Sad to see Hibriten lose to Shelby but keep let’s look at the bright side of this as far as the SF goes. West and North lost to the state champs. A respectful loss if you wanna call it that.

Might as well get used to it fellas, Shelby is always gonna be thorn in the side of any successful South Fork team in the playoffs unless ur in small 2A.

West brings back the number 1 and number 2 tackler on the team, most if not all of the defensive line, one safety and corner. We lose a safety, corner and LB. Our most damage will be offense. We lose 8 on offense. We have very good replacements for the backfield and WR but will struggle on the line. QB will be interesting; two different kids. Ones a bruiser and has the stronger arm and the other is more shifty on the move. Might see both in action depending on situation who knows. I feel like whichever one is at QB the other will be in the offence some where. Carpenter, Bridges, Beam, pendergras, Huitt, Scronce, Wise, Propst will all be back at skilled positions both ways I would think. We have a couple ballers coming up from JV and a hoss coming up from middle school if he can stay out of trouble and come to school. What kills us in football is our dominate wrestling team. Alot of our good football players are crucial weight class wrestlers with many being top 3 in the state. Therefore it affects our size on the football field. They are strong and tough but will not put on weight due to wrestling but you can't fault them when they are in the runnings to be singles state champions. I can agree on North IF they get a compliment to sorous or a better passing game. With West we are used to being a running offense. We have never relied on the pass. Teams that run the ball, always run the ball and do well at it. North until this year has been heavier pass. This year running the ball worked for them because of thier one, two punch of size then speed. I feel as if West and North are in the same boat with loses and returners. That will make it interesting to see which steps up and puts In the work. Remember me saying this; I do believe East will be back in the hunt next year.

Reactions: Burkeforreal
East usually has the guys to get it going. Was deeply impressed with West this year. But it’s gonna be up and down and back n forth for next few years or so. There shouldn’t be a dominate every year Hibriten kinda team sitting in this conference as long as this conf is going but it’ll come to an end after 2020 cause North and East will be up to 3A again most likely and hard to compete. East may be ok cause they been 3A for 25 plus years before North was built. But North will struggle again probably. Athletes and coach Bazzle won’t be around too too long at North.

East will not be 3A in 2020, goes off next yr ADM, NL on other hand may, if they do like last time will be one of the smallest ones.

East will not be 3A in 2020, goes off next yr ADM, NL on other hand may, if they do like last time will be one of the smallest ones.

That was a thread within a thread that I started couple months ago or so. Just to mix things up and make it interesting for North Lincoln if they do go 3A would be to join up with a traditional fun old conference in Northwestern 4A/3A. Some of those schools are alittle further drive than the Iredell schools they’d compete with but only 10 15 min differences. Nothing major. West Caldwell dropped down to 2A without the realignment and not sure if anyone will take their place or they’ll just have an extra nonconfernce game. Hickory area teams are not far away for North Lincoln and for anyone’s info I was by Freedom high school one day and just for fun I put in North Lincoln on my gps and it was 45- 48ish min drive between the 2. Now that’s Freedom we’re talking about lol.

Reactions: golden one
Hearing that we are down to a handful of candidates for the job and that an outsider is the frontrunner..

Just to attempt to revamp this thread, keep it interesting, and generally ask this question to any Catawba valley fans that may see this is concerning coach Bazzle. I was looking at an Alexander Central program other day at moms cause they went to a game this year and what I saw I was left scratching my head. In the program it had all the coaches of all time at ACentral, their records, playoff records etc.

I don’t doubt Bazzle for one min, he’s a class act coach and turned North around big time but I was just wondering why his years at AC had more losses? He musta had a drought period on athletes is all I would know but maybe a guy like CheerDuck could fill us in. This is kinda like coach commentary year in review kinda thing.

I’ve never known in my 25 years or so of closely following area football teams(some more than others of course) that AC has ever had a huge string of bad years. When you have one school in the county you can usually have pretty good talent as long as it’s within the county.

Just to attempt to revamp this thread, keep it interesting, and generally ask this question to any Catawba valley fans that may see this is concerning coach Bazzle. I was looking at an Alexander Central program other day at moms cause they went to a game this year and what I saw I was left scratching my head. In the program it had all the coaches of all time at ACentral, their records, playoff records etc.

I don’t doubt Bazzle for one min, he’s a class act coach and turned North around big time but I was just wondering why his years at AC had more losses? He musta had a drought period on athletes is all I would know but maybe a guy like CheerDuck could fill us in. This is kinda like coach commentary year in review kinda thing.

I’ve never known in my 25 years or so of closely following area football teams(some more than others of course) that AC has ever had a huge string of bad years. When you have one school in the county you can usually have pretty good talent as long as it’s within the county.

I may not be the one to speak on AC, but IMO, Coach Bazzle's tenure was 4 losing seasons due to his insistence in running an option offense and his last year having an unfair amount of injuries. The talent pool at AC is not as conducive to the option as much as the Wing T approach Carter brought with him. Carter was able to throw it some in 2016 and 17, but this year he didn't have the QB to do that. Coach Bazzle's 4 years at AC were definitely not his best, but he is a fine coach and an even better person.

Reactions: beamer24
I may not be the one to speak on AC, but IMO, Coach Bazzle's tenure was 4 losing seasons due to his insistence in running an option offense and his last year having an unfair amount of injuries. The talent pool at AC is not as conducive to the option as much as the Wing T approach Carter brought with him. Carter was able to throw it some in 2016 and 17, but this year he didn't have the QB to do that. Coach Bazzle's 4 years at AC were definitely not his best, but he is a fine coach and an even better person.

Low and behold the CheerDuck came through for us and did read it. Good deal, always good to hear your views. Aug is a long ways off but it’s fun to talk about it and build things up. I’m not gonna say I can’t wait cause trust me the years go by quick and it’ll be here before we know it even if we don’t want it to. That’s life, it’s short. I’m still in disbelief I been out of school close to 25 years and a handful or more of my mates are already grandparents.

But enough about that, that made perfect sense about Bazzle. Some types of offeces just don’t work with some teams and athletic sets. The coach at North Lincoln before Pack, I can’t remember his name but his type of offense I don’t know what it was but it’d a worked well in South Carolina were he came from with track stars and big fast hogs blocking for ya downfield but for North, it just wasn’t happening. Bazzle has found a home in NL. If you got a little he can make a lot kinda coach. I just wondered why at AC the same results didn’t translate when over at AC there is typically more athletes and big boys than at North.

What’s your take on North coming to NW4A/3A should they have to bounce back up that division of play at next realignment? You being a Hickory area man like myself ought to have some good views on that. I know they most likely will be back to playing Iredell area teams again like last time but the NW4A area teams basically as a whole(except Watauga) are only 10 to 12 min further drives than the Iredell schools. Not a significant difference if you ask me. Heck, Crest used to go to Watauga and vice versa.

Crest got out in 02’. Huge relief driving wise for them and Watauga. ACReynolds came in but driving wasn’t much better for them and their NW 4A competitors. At least McDowell if they are still in it by then will not be a massive drive for North. It’ll be they’re farthest opponent next to Watauga. The rest are reasonably close.

Last edited:
Low and behold the CheerDuck came through for us and did read it. Good deal, always good to hear your views. Aug is a long ways off but it’s fun to talk about it and build things up. I’m not gonna say I can’t wait cause trust me the years go by quick and it’ll be here before we know it even if we don’t want it to. That’s life, it’s short. I’m still in disbelief I been out of school close to 25 years and a handful or more of my mates are already grandparents.

But enough about that, that made perfect sense about Bazzle. Some types of offeces just don’t work with some teams and athletic sets. The coach at North Lincoln before Pack, I can’t remember his name but his type of offense I don’t know what it was but it’d a worked well in South Carolina were he came from with track stars and big fast hogs blocking for ya downfield but for North, it just wasn’t happening. Bazzle has found a home in NL. If you got a little he can make a lot kinda coach. I just wondered why at AC the same results didn’t translate when over at AC there is typically more athletes and big boys than at North.

What’s your take on North coming to NW4A/3A should they have to bounce back up that division of play at next realignment? You being a Hickory area man like myself ought to have some good views on that. I know they most likely will be back to playing Iredell area teams again like last time but the NW4A area teams basically as a whole(except Watauga) are only 10 to 12 min further drives than the Iredell schools. Not a significant difference if you ask me. Heck, Crest used to go to Watauga and vice versa.

Crest got out in 02’. Huge relief driving wise for them and Watauga. ACReynolds came in but driving wasn’t much better for them and their NW 4A competitors. At least McDowell if they are still in it by then will not be a massive drive for North. It’ll be they’re farthest opponent next to Watauga. The rest are reasonably close.

North Lincoln would be hard pressed to finish in the upper half of the NW4A/3A Conference year in and year out.

Reactions: burnsbulldogtweeter
Things could change by the fall but it does appear North Lincoln and East Lincoln might stay 2A.

I’m sure they will stay definitely until next realignment. It was a blessing for North to be back to a 2A in general or in football case the 2AA. Rolling with the 3A and 4A didn’t help their cause and in other sports they suffered as well. But hey it is what it is.

Should they be in the NW4a/3A they’ll have their ups and downs just depending on Bazzels stay and the flow of athletic talent that’ll slip in and out or out in general. This year Bazzle caught a break having the returns that he had coming off the previous 2 win season before. It’s not often a running back like Cribb comes around and he was well used to his potential and Olines potential. Not sure what the forecast of athletes for North holds in 2 to 3 years but Bazzle should be ok til then.

If they were in the NW conference now they’d a prob finished 4th overall. ACentral may do some damage in the upcoming years with Freedom in the mix and South Caldwell getting back to some winning ways but of course Watauga will be battling for 2nd or 1st for a while too. Best North could play for is 3rd or 4th IF...they came to this conf in 2021. But then again never know how the program will be or if Bazzle has athletic transfers in due to success. Hard telling really. Them being a NW member could just be wishful thinking as it seems the Iredell 3A schools are all closer for them and not having a far out opponent like Watauga or McDowell and save the state gas will seal the deal for them going back to the conf they came from. (Shoulder shrug)

When North goes 3A next realignment they will for sure be put in the conference with the schools around the lake.

When North goes 3A next realignment they will for sure be put in the conference with the schools around the lake.

That’s what I count on and figure. But being kinda close to Hickory area as well it’d also be a decent fit. Just that drive to Watauga and maybe McDowell would be the only drawback every other school is reasonable drive. About all their competition now unless it’s in county or Bandys is 35 to 45 min bus drive. AC (they play them anyway) Hickory, Saint, and South Caldwell would be 40 to 48ish. East Lincoln was in Hickory area 3A conf for YEARS before North was built. North is closer to Hickory. They didn’t have the Watauga travel issue either though as they were 4a then. I’d imagine less industry and people having less kids have dropped them to 3A in Boone area

Last edited:
I’m sure they will stay definitely until next realignment. It was a blessing for North to be back to a 2A in general or in football case the 2AA. Rolling with the 3A and 4A didn’t help their cause and in other sports they suffered as well. But hey it is what it is.

Should they be in the NW4a/3A they’ll have their ups and downs just depending on Bazzels stay and the flow of athletic talent that’ll slip in and out or out in general. This year Bazzle caught a break having the returns that he had coming off the previous 2 win season before. It’s not often a running back like Cribb comes around and he was well used to his potential and Olines potential. Not sure what the forecast of athletes for North holds in 2 to 3 years but Bazzle should be ok til then.

If they were in the NW conference now they’d a prob finished 4th overall. ACentral may do some damage in the upcoming years with Freedom in the mix and South Caldwell getting back to some winning ways but of course Watauga will be battling for 2nd or 1st for a while too. Best North could play for is 3rd or 4th IF...they came to this conf in 2021. But then again never know how the program will be or if Bazzle has athletic transfers in due to success. Hard telling really. Them being a NW member could just be wishful thinking as it seems the Iredell 3A schools are all closer for them and not having a far out opponent like Watauga or McDowell and save the state gas will seal the deal for them going back to the conf they came from. (Shoulder shrug)

I’d like to see North Lincoln and East Lincoln move up to 3A... and Lincolnton and West Lincoln in the Southwestern 2A. I’d like to see Burns, Shelby, East Rutherford, Chase, RS East Gaston, Lincolnton and West Lincoln in our 2021-2025 conference. Otherwise, our AD thinks we may be stuck with 6 teams. South Point will probably move back up to 3A. Or we could see Patton and East Burke back in our conference (and maybe Draughn if they don’t drop to 1A). But probably not with East Gaston in the picture.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT