ADVERTISEMENT

South Point vs Dudley Regional Final

I was at the game sitting on SP side. Really nice fans. South Point played hard. I feel they will be back in the mix next year with a better and more experience team. Congratulations to South Point for making it that far and congratulations to Dudley. Best of luck to Dudley next week in the State Championship game.
Vik-Val, my husband and I were sitting in the 2nd row center of the SP side. I had a red jacket and then later on a black jacket over that one.

Vik-Val, my husband and I were sitting in the 2nd row center of the SP side. I had a red jacket and then later on a black jacket over that one.
I was at the 50 about 6 rows up
from bottom. With flannel shirt and green cap.

Wife and I are driving up this afternoon and staying in Greensboro tonight. We both agreed that we will have an early dinner but can't pass on sharing a fish sandwich at a high school football game. That will be a first for me after decades of following the Raiders.
Maybe you and your wife can stop by YumYum Ice cream and hot dog place on Spring Garden across from UNCG and get some of their ice cream - homemade. My favorites are Choc Chip Mint, (Peach and Pineapple in summer), sometimes the cholcolate almond but they have lots of other flavors as well. Just make sure you order a small cone first and then if it's not big enough go larger.

YumYum

Last edited:
Reactions: mactazheels
Maybe you and your wife can stop by YumYum Ice cream and hot dog place on Spring Garden across from UNCG and get some of their ice cream - homemade. My favorites are Choc Chip Mint, (Peach and Pineapple in summer), sometimes the cholcolate almond but they have lots of other flavors as well. Just make sure you order a small cone first and then if it's not big enough go larger.

YumYum
Have you tried Ozzie's Ice Cream Place off Old Battleground Road? That place offer darn tootin' good ice cream too.

Uh, no. If you don't like his "obnoxiousness" then shut him up by winning.
You have a great point. We came up knowing that beating this great Dudley team was going to be a huge task and we took the expected loss. Everybody is different and I just do not care for announcers who make themselves a big part of the game whether they are for my team or an opponent. Good luck and I will be shocked if Dudley does not win out and claim the championship.

While I give nothing but accolades to the Dudley team, they need to lose the obnoxious guy in the press box. This game is about the kids and not a stage for some adult to try to dominate the night's experience. Whoever you are, give up that gig and let someone with class take that job and make it about the kids.
I really didn't think he was that bad. To me, he was really no different than our home announcer with the Dilling Heating & AC.....FIRST DOWN. He was their home announcer and you can expect some one sided humor at a high school game. The only annoying thing to me was the score updates when he seemed to emphasize the SP zero. But then again, that was a raw subject and the truth hurts. The worse home announcer in history was that clown at Ashbrook that actually was warned by the officials for trying to sway calls. He was purely awful.

When you are outmatched, you take your whipping without any excuses. SP was outmatched tonight, plain & simple and we got our whipping. The game was over in the first 16 seconds. Congratulations to Dudley and best of luck in the championship next week. If there is a better team in NC, I would love to see them. I would pay cash money to see a Shelby - Dudley game but I think Dudley would win. And by the way, the fish was as excellent as advertised. Maybe not worth seeing the Raiders get pounded but it definitely helped the medicine go down. Thanks Dudley for your hospitality and great venue but for goodness sake start selling sodey dopes somewhere cause we be thirsty!
I told you brother that fish was fantastic! I thought for a minute I was going to have to fight my dad for my plate!

I really didn't think he was that bad. To me, he was really no different than our home announcer with the Dilling Heating & AC.....FIRST DOWN. He was their home announcer and you can expect some one sided humor at a high school game. The only annoying thing to me was the score updates when he seemed to emphasize the SP zero. But then again, that was a raw subject and the truth hurts. The worse home announcer in history was that clown at Ashbrook that actually was warned by the officials for trying to sway calls. He was purely awful.
Guy from East Rutherford in late 90’s. He yelled like the sound system didn’t work.

Congrats SP on a great season. Good luck to Dudley moving forward.
From a football standpoint this Dudley team is really a tough out for any team. Some of the Dudley posters and bandwagon fans are always screaming “speed kills” or something along those lines when Dudley gets big plays. For all of us that really know the game, it’s the Dudley play in the trenches especially that defensive front seven that is really elite. The Dudley defensive line is really impressive and those guys are really well coached and get after it. In my opinion Dudley is the 4th best team in NC regardless of classification after Chambers, Cardinal Gibbons, and Hough.

YumYum
Been there, done that. Good ice cream, good atmosphere. My daughter was at UNCG about 10 or twelve years ago. I’ll take Tony’s in Gastonia every time. I love me a Black Cherry Milkshake .

Reactions: sasha_nc
From a football standpoint this Dudley team is really a tough out for any team. Some of the Dudley posters and bandwagon fans are always screaming “speed kills” or something along those lines when Dudley gets big plays. For all of us that really know the game, it’s the Dudley play in the trenches especially that defensive front seven that is really elite. The Dudley defensive line is really impressive and those guys are really well coached and get after it. In my opinion Dudley is the 4th best team in NC regardless of classification after Chambers, Cardinal Gibbons, and Hough.
agree with that. Our first drive with starting QB and WB in there....looked pretty good. I wish we could've seen that game play out. No matter...I still think Dudley is much better team and would've won that game 9 out of 10 times. They're loaded this year. I do not like the 1400 student '3A' thing...never knew about that until right before gametime.

agree with that. Our first drive with starting QB and WB in there....looked pretty good. I wish we could've seen that game play out. No matter...I still think Dudley is much better team and would've won that game 9 out of 10 times. They're loaded this year. I do not like the 1400 student '3A' thing...never knew about that until right before gametime.
1400 has been around the upper limits of 3A for as long as I can remember. They've just played in the 3AA. 1600 would probably put them in 4A though. It really should have been 5 divisions (1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, and 5A) but I also like how it is as of now. The best wins and it leaves little room for doubt. I don't mind the current system we have until realignment. But for the next alignment they should definitely got 5 divisions.

1400 has been around the upper limits of 3A for as long as I can remember. They've just played in the 3AA. 1600 would probably put them in 4A though. It really should have been 5 divisions (1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, and 5A) but I also like how it is as of now. The best wins and it leaves little room for doubt. I don't mind the current system we have until realignment. But for the next alignment they should definitely got 5 divisions.
Dudley was one of the smallest 3AA Schools in NC. an average of 1450 Students. They always was at the bottom line. Other schools in Gbo like Page, N Guilford, Grimsley, SE Guilford, NW Guilford has around or between 1700-2800 Students. However, before 2002 it was just a 4A,3A,2A and 1A.

Numbers do play into it, but when I look at a School like Shelby. They are only 640 students and 2A. However, they defeated a strong 3A school in Kings Mountain with over 1200 kids 37-14. They defeated Crest (3A) and 4A AC Reynolds. Shelby hung toe to toe with SC 4A Powerhouse South Pointe. We have a 2A in Reidsville with about 640kids, however They will play 3A and 4A schools like Gbo Page, W. Alamance, Rockingham Co, W-S Reynolds, High Pont Central, E. Alamance(Canceled due to covid) and beat them. So sometimes the number might make a difference and sometimes talent is talent on the program.

I don't think SP could have beaten them if they had played each other 20 times. Dudley is an awesome team to watch and SP just didn't have the HP to match up. That is why there is next year. Already looking forward to it. Go Big Red!

I'm not sure I'd rank Dudley that high, though. I knew Dudley was at least 2 or 3tds better than anyone in 3a. But lets say you put East Forsyth in 3a, they likely run through it the same way. 3a is slightly down this year, imo.

Shelby vs dudley would be a great match up.

Dudley was one of the smallest 3AA Schools in NC. an average of 1450 Students. They always was at the bottom line. Other schools in Gbo like Page, N Guilford, Grimsley, SE Guilford, NW Guilford has around or between 1700-2800 Students. However, before 2002 it was just a 4A,3A,2A and 1A.

Numbers do play into it, but when I look at a School like Shelby. They are only 640 students and 2A. However, they defeated a strong 3A school in Kings Mountain with over 1200 kids 37-14. They defeated Crest (3A) and 4A AC Reynolds. Shelby hung toe to toe with SC 4A Powerhouse South Pointe. We have a 2A in Reidsville with about 640kids, however They will play 3A and 4A schools like Gbo Page, W. Alamance, Rockingham Co, W-S Reynolds, High Pont Central, E. Alamance(Canceled due to covid) and beat them. So sometimes the number might make a difference and sometimes talent is talent on the program.
reidsville probably is closer to 800 kids than 640. But, I agree.

lets be real though, Page is down right now...

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
I'm not sure I'd rank Dudley that high, though. I knew Dudley was at least 2 or 3tds better than anyone in 3a. But lets say you put East Forsyth in 3a, they likely run through it the same way. 3a is slightly down this year, imo.

Shelby vs dudley would be a great match up.
Have you lost your fn mind?

Why do you dream that Shelby is anything more than a good 2A high school football team??

Dudley caught a good bracket and went with that’s all…. No matter what you think these are still alll local grown teenage football players, thats

Have you lost your fn mind?

Why do you dream that Shelby is anything more than a good 2A high school football team??

Dudley caught a good bracket and went with that’s all…. No matter what you think these are still alll local grown teenage football players, thats

No, I haven't. Shelby would have beaten all of those teams as well. Shelby has already beaten Crest and Kings Mountain. They would have been favored by a few tds vs South Point. Besides Dudley, who in 3a would be favored vs Shelby?

Reactions: P.Saunders
You are kidding me…. Just because Shelby had a good year now they are the undisputed, classification free, CHAMPS!!
What ever….
I hope Shelby Football, current kids have a great experience next week in the championship game win or lose!!! Don’t start trying to make them think they can beat everyone in the state….

They will always believe they can beat anyone in the state until you strap em up and prove em wrong. And deserve to feel that way. Do I think they can? No. But the kids think they can and the coaches think they can and they very well should. They've earned it by playing and beating traditional powers year after year. And playing big boy football and holding their own, even in losses. Nothing but respect.

They will always believe they can beat anyone in the state until you strap em up and prove em wrong. And deserve to feel that way. Do I think they can? No. But the kids think they can and the coaches think they can and they very well should. They've earned it by playing and beating traditional powers year after year. And playing big boy football and holding their own, even in losses. Nothing but respect.
Hold yourself together Black Knight. Yes, the young men and staff should feel confident about the Championship game but No, they would not have made it in 3A!!

• Haha
Rose
Statesville
Jacksonville
Eastern Alamance
Lee County
Scotland County
South Point
Crest
Terry Sanford
Havelock
Probably Burns if they had another shot that game was 16-14 but I’m sure there is some huge excuse for why it was so close.

Go ahead now tell me why none of these teams could beat Shelby…..

Rose
Statesville
Jacksonville
Eastern Alamance
Lee County
Scotland County
South Point
Crest
Terry Sanford
Havelock
Probably Burns if they had another shot that game was 16-14 but I’m sure there is some huge excuse for why it was so close.

Go ahead now tell me why none of these teams could beat Shelby…..

Rose got blown out by Elizabeth city Northeastern! Crest already lost to shelby. Burns got eliminated in the 2a playoffs and did not make it to Shelby. I'm not saying none of those wouldn't be good, but you did not give me one single team that would be favored over Shelby.

Shelby beat Burns by only 2 points not to mention only scored 16.

Why can’t you except they are a top 2A team and move on from this hypothetical stuff.
I’d say you should be more considerate of finding a way to beat The Wallace Rose Hill Bulldogs.

What happened in the Elizabeth city game vs Rose, no doubt they have a great running back and playing well. I think they will lose to Dudley by at least 2 or 3 tds though.

I'm not budging on Shelby beating all of those team, and you aren't either. So, we will agree to disagree.

From that list I would have Dudley, Rose and Jville as favorites. Dudley as a clear favorite. That does not mean I think Shelby couldn't win. The rest of them I would say Shelby even or favored.

From that list I would have Dudley, Rose and Jville as favorites. Dudley as a clear favorite. That does not mean I think Shelby couldn't win. The rest of them I would say Shelby even or favored.

I agree with Dudley. Big question mark on jh rose, getting beat by northeastern has me raising my eyebrows on that.

What happened in the Elizabeth city game vs Rose, no doubt they have a great running back and playing well. I think they will lose to Dudley by at least 2 or 3 tds though.

I'm not budging on Shelby beating all of those team, and you aren't either. So, we will agree to disagree.
No way Dudley beats Rose by 3 TD’s ….. Nope, Nope, Nope….. That ain’t happening!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT