ADVERTISEMENT

South Iredell HC

MA was Atleast 17 points better than Mitchell this year. 164 yards in penaltys. 5 unsportsmanlike pen and 5.TD s called back. No team discipline and coach had several side line interference calls arguing calls they could have him one more unsportsmanlike and tossed him.
Kelly Holder could put in for the South Iredell job. He played against Statesville/Iredell County teams when he was QB at North Surry. And bigger challenges. If he would interested

Reactions: buzzcoach
I know one in County (Iredell) coach that has applied for the position. He would be a great choice, he knows the school well, he has been with both winning and losing programs and knows what it takes to get a program on the correct path. But, have no idea if he will be considered.

Sounds like S. Iredell very much like Mooresville needs to be a 3a school. The hire initially surprised me. Definitely had better and more qualified options the 1st go round

Any ideas what the new high school will do to and for SI and LKN?
Which schools will it take students from?
When will it open?

I heard at one time the new school will be done and open by 2024. Also not to far from South Iredell. I could be wrong but could pull students from South Iredell. But I only heard this one time early this year.

Any ideas what the new high school will do to and for SI and LKN?
Which schools will it take students from?
When will it open?
Personally I don’t like the location anyway but It will bring SI back down to Small 3A. LN prob won’t be affected as much but I’m sure some will go to the new school from LN. It will be done by 2024

When the Iredell County schools were consolidated in 1966-67 school year we went from Mooresville, Statesville, Troutman, Celiste Hinkle, Scotts, Central, Union Grove, Harmony and Cool Spring plus Morningside and Unity. If I count correctly that was 11 high schools in 3 Systems.
Now, there are Mooresville, LKN, SI, WI, NI and Statesville with one being built in 2 systems. That is 6 high schools (soon to be 7) not counting the private schools that are now present.

If the two minority schools had been closed in 1966-67, the number of high schools would have dropped to 9. Shortly there will be 7. Ultimately, what was the purpose? I went to NI from Cool Springs and drove 27 miles to high school. I was closer to Davie County, West Rowan, Statesville and South Iredell than to North Iredell.

Not sure what my point is, but I sure wish the County had taken a different approach.

Way before the Lake Norman high days I went to South Iredell. I lived S/W of Mooresville at that time. I was closer to Mooresville than I was from South Iredell. The thing was. Where I lived everyone that lived on one side of the rd went to Mooresville and the ones that lived on the other side of the rd went to South Iredell.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueDevil1996
Personally I don’t like the location anyway but It will bring SI back down to Small 3A. LN prob won’t be affected as much but I’m sure some will go to the new school from LN. It will be done by 2024

Remember there is no small or large 3A. It’s just 3A now.

Where will the new school be located?
What I could find it looks like the new school was approved back in Sept. 2021. The location is off of Overcash rd in Troutman which wouldn’t be far from. South Iredell. The name of the school will be Weathers Creek High. One statement mentioned back in 2008 that it was to address new growth in the area and over crowding schools in Southern Iredell Co.

Last edited:
From looking at the map and also pulling up on internet it looks like the new school could roughly be around 7 miles or so Southeast from South Iredell high.

Thats the Shinnville area in Troutman. I could see this new school pulling kids from Tripplet rd which goes through both Statesville and Mooresville huge number of families and communities on Tripplet rd. Could effect numbers for SI, Statesville and Mooresville

Thats the Shinnville area in Troutman. I could see this new school pulling kids from Tripplet rd which goes through both Statesville and Mooresville huge number of families and communities on Tripplet rd. Could effect numbers for SI, Statesville and Mooresville
Still more so SI then anywhere else but I could see some Mooresville kids go but I doubt it will have a big affect and I’m sure LN n Stateville could be affected but it really depends on how they draw the lines.

It won't have any effect on Mooresville other than a few transfers.

Mainly South and kids east of 77 that go to Statesville. Possibly some southeastern kids around the Coddle Creek and Mount Mourne area that probably go to Lake Norman.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
I know a couple teens that go to South Iredell that lives out on Wiggins Rd. That rd comes out where Carrigans farms at on 150. I’m sure that area will be taken for the new High school. If school does open by 2024, I’m sure by then there will be more spike in the population. Both South Iredell and the new High School may be bigger than what we think.

The area out toward Carrigan Farms and southeast of Troutman is growing fast.

I heard they're expecting it to be at capacity when it opens. At least that is what someone told me.

They'll eventually have to build another one around the county part of Mooresville before it's all said and done.

Is the school going to be in the Mooresville city school district or the ISSS. My question is if the school is in the ISSS how can Mooresville lose students to the new school when Mooresville has its on school district lines.

For example I know students that go to kannapolis but live closer to NW Cab. Kannapolis has their on school district and NW is in the Cabburrus school district so they have to go to kannapolis because they live in the kannapolis district.

Some East Mooresville middle students will be affected. Just talked to friend of mine whose kids will begin at East Mooresville Middle in next year. She said her kids will be going to the new school once it's built.

Is the school going to be in the Mooresville city school district or the ISSS. My question is if the school is in the ISSS how can Mooresville lose students to the new school when Mooresville has its on school district lines.

For example I know students that go to kannapolis but live closer to NW Cab. Kannapolis has their on school district and NW is in the Cabburrus school district so they have to go to kannapolis because they live in the kannapolis district.
My understanding is that there are some pockets around Mooresville where the kids have been allowed to chose. But this new school is an Iredell Statesville System School and the ISS Board will redraw the school boundaries.

Also, the day that Lake Norman HS opened, it was over populated. The growth of the County is around Statesville, southwest and south to the lake and Mooresville. I am not sure of this, but I doubt North Iredell has as many students today as it did when it opened the fall of 1966.

Like I said it’s prob won’t be as big HIT to Mooresville as Statesville/SI/LN but I’m sure some Mooresville folks go to the new school - I know some people live on border of Iredell/Rowan co that has a Rowan co address can go to Mooresville or West Rowan.

This new school will be a blessing to South Iredell as South Iredell isn’t built for 4A level sports imo it’s a 2A/3A school. When SI was 4A the talent was bit better and Football back then was bit different so ….

Some East Mooresville middle students will be affected. Just talked to friend of mine whose kids will begin at East Mooresville Middle in next year. She said her kids will be going to the new school once it's built.

So is she choosing to send them to the new school? East Mooresville Middle will be part of Mooresville Graded School district. Those kids would go to Mooresville High School. You don't go to a middle school in 1 district then get redistricted to go to another district for hs.

My understanding is that there are some pockets around Mooresville where the kids have been allowed to chose. But this new school is an Iredell Statesville System School and the ISS Board will redraw the school boundaries.

Also, the day that Lake Norman HS opened, it was over populated. The growth of the County is around Statesville, southwest and south to the lake and Mooresville. I am not sure of this, but I doubt North Iredell has as many students today as it did when it opened the fall of 1966.

North has over 1100 kids. They sent some Statesville kids to North when the redistricted last I believe. They eventually may push more kids North over time.

It will be interesting who has applied … haven’t heard much of yet.

Next HC will have a lot stuff to FIX before South is successful again. I believe they need fix the culture a little bit and they need to gain the trust of admin, community and fellow coaches regardless of if someone from inside or someone from outside.

I could see another high school being built in the Mooresville area. Just seen where it is approved out on Kistler rd in Mooresville for 700 housing units to be built. The building of houses has gone off the charts in and around the Mooresville area.

I could see another high school being built in the Mooresville area. Just seen where it is approved out on Kistler rd in Mooresville for 700 housing units to be built. The building of houses has gone off the charts in and around the Mooresville area.
Mooresville will be forced to do something I could see a high like going near Mt mount area or on HWY 3 heading to ktown imo for new HS but I doubt it would ever happen

Another thing I’ll note is: once this new school opens let’s just say it takes roughly 1,200-1,400 students away from South Iredell so That move SI back to 3A/2A whatever …. What talent will be left? Some talent may go to the new school which could also extent the rebuilding process at South Iredell

SI maybe the football school n new school could be the basketball school but who knows until the new school gets going.

Only time will Tell

When I was at South they didn’t have soccer until my sophomore year. Seem like for most all the soccer players came from Brawley middle school. The school I went to. And most of the good football players came from Troutman middle. I remember at Brawley we would play soccer during PE class in the spring and flag football in the fall. Now an days every thing has changed. It’s hard to tell how things will be when this new school gets started.

Another thing I’ll note is: once this new school opens let’s just say it takes roughly 1,200-1,400 students away from South Iredell so That move SI back to 3A/2A whatever …. What talent will be left? Some talent may go to the new school which could also extent the rebuilding process at South Iredell

SI maybe the football school n new school could be the basketball school but who knows until the new school gets going.

Only time will Tell
No one thought Lake Norman would be a football or basketball School when it opened up around 2002.

Any updates - haven’t heard much but there been a lot going within South Iredell with other events.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT