ADVERTISEMENT

South Granville @ North Davidson

Whatever, they go home, we go on. Great great win by the black knights! Impressive! But it only get's harder from here, we'll have to get through the 1 seed, undefeated East Duplin to get to state and on the road. Massive game.

Just spoke to Christopher .....props and good sportsmanship by number 21 for SG. Based on some things (all positive) my son shared with me, #21 should be commended and his parents should be proud. Good job young man, being a gentleman and having a good head on your shoulders is far more important than anything on a football field....if you are with SG and you know him , please pass that along.

Last edited:
7 for SG is a man. I'm glad they didn't give it to him more. Despite the constant flopping and begging for calls, the SG QB was tough as nails and really hard to stop.
The cheap shots on the kicker need to stop. A 15 yard penalty accessed on the kick off does you no good when your kicker kicks it in the end zone every time. It does make an onside kick less risky from a field position standpoint, but we weren't going to onside kick it up 9 with 4 minutes to play. Therefore, #1 for SG was effectively not penalized for his cheap shot. There needs to be a rule change there, but I don't have a solution off the top of my head.

Uncalled for. If the players acted wrong, Hobgood will take care of it. Calling people from an area trash is just wrong.

Didn’t say all. I said full. I know a good number of fine folks from both areas and they say the same thing.

Hard to beat a great team and the zebras!!
Sure is....curious which call or no-call in particular you're referring to....my complaint was obviously what would have been a TD run to put SG ahead in 4th quarter comes back from a holding call well behind the play, and a no call later that drive on a hit probably 5 yards out of bounds

Quick takeaways: ND is BY FAR, the best team that SG saw all year; way better than I had anticipated; maybe the best team we've seen in many years; tough call because they're such different types of teams but right there with the Clinton team that knocked us out in 2nd Rd last year, the Cleveland team we played in non-conference in 2015 & 2016, Fike in 2015, and Rocky Mount 2013-2016; saw something about how Ledford might have been stealing signs and now I'm a firm believer; saw some film from that game and thought ND's offense looked much, much better than I was expecting, knew Boyce would be tough to contain, but was hoping to take away either the run or the pass; struggled to slow down either one for most of the 1st half, Sicignano is one of the best HS QBs I've ever seen at poise under pressure and pinpoint accuracy...I have him at 21/27, 241 yds....if anybody has him 22/28 for 257, note that he did throw a backward pass to Russell for a 16 yd gain (essentially an overhanded toss sweep) to convert a 3rd & 6 in 4th quarter, which goes in the stats as a running play, great group of backs & receivers, that spread offense is designed to get guys in space and make defenders make tackles in space, in 1 on 1 situations, which is hard enough as it is, but Boyce, Russell, and a couple of other receivers were very good at getting away from that one guy, especially in the 1st half, was encouraged by some type of adjustment to stop the run in 2nd half, as Boyce had 138 at halftime and finished with 165, backbreakers for SG were getting no points on the drive that ended with the bad snap on FG, and then of course the pick 6....yea yea giving up a 46 yd bomb really hurt, but that happens, and that's a product of how the defense has been reacting throwing underneath on the previous 26 pass attempts, would have still been very much in the game with a late to score to draw within 28-25; Pick 6 was the dagger, Total offense ND has the edge 430-401, Lot of yards for a 35-19 game, 2 missed FGs hurt ND but the Pick 6 kind of make up for it on the scoreboard, 2 empty long drives for SG in 2nd half were the undoing, I was expecting East Duplin to beat Randleman by more than 8 points....I believe Ledford beat Randleman, North Davidson beat Ledford twice....going to have to mull over who to circle if that game comes up in one of my pickem contests next week

Quick takeaways: ND is BY FAR, the best team that SG saw all year; way better than I had anticipated; maybe the best team we've seen in many years; tough call because they're such different types of teams but right there with the Clinton team that knocked us out in 2nd Rd last year, the Cleveland team we played in non-conference in 2015 & 2016, Fike in 2015, and Rocky Mount 2013-2016; saw something about how Ledford might have been stealing signs and now I'm a firm believer; saw some film from that game and thought ND's offense looked much, much better than I was expecting, knew Boyce would be tough to contain, but was hoping to take away either the run or the pass; struggled to slow down either one for most of the 1st half, Sicignano is one of the best HS QBs I've ever seen at poise under pressure and pinpoint accuracy...I have him at 21/27, 241 yds....if anybody has him 22/28 for 257, note that he did throw a backward pass to Russell for a 16 yd gain (essentially an overhanded toss sweep) to convert a 3rd & 6 in 4th quarter, which goes in the stats as a running play, great group of backs & receivers, that spread offense is designed to get guys in space and make defenders make tackles in space, in 1 on 1 situations, which is hard enough as it is, but Boyce, Russell, and a couple of other receivers were very good at getting away from that one guy, especially in the 1st half, was encouraged by some type of adjustment to stop the run in 2nd half, as Boyce had 138 at halftime and finished with 165, backbreakers for SG were getting no points on the drive that ended with the bad snap on FG, and then of course the pick 6....yea yea giving up a 46 yd bomb really hurt, but that happens, and that's a product of how the defense has been reacting throwing underneath on the previous 26 pass attempts, would have still been very much in the game with a late to score to draw within 28-25; Pick 6 was the dagger, Total offense ND has the edge 430-401, Lot of yards for a 35-19 game, 2 missed FGs hurt ND but the Pick 6 kind of make up for it on the scoreboard, 2 empty long drives for SG in 2nd half were the undoing, I was expecting East Duplin to beat Randleman by more than 8 points....I believe Ledford beat Randleman, North Davidson beat Ledford twice....going to have to mull over who to circle if that game comes up in one of my pickem contests next week
That option was fun to watch, y'all had the best players to do it. QB is very good at running that O, again, #7, was all but unstoppable. Congrats to SG on a great season!

Reactions: Black Night Dad 20
Would have been more fun without that holding call on first snap after Dunn's second punt of the game....blog post/article coming soon by the way

Sure is....curious which call or no-call in particular you're referring to....my complaint was obviously what would have been a TD run to put SG ahead in 4th quarter comes back from a holding call well behind the play, and a no call later that drive on a hit probably 5 yards out of bounds

ND also had TD right before half called back due to a holding call behind the play and had a long play brought back Due to a few lag. ND had a terrible pass interference called on them in 4th quarter. I thought penalties were pretty much even in the damage it done to both teams. Surprised by the missed FGs. High snap on the first first one messed the timing up and from where I was standing in the end zone I swear the 2nd one was good. People directly behind goal post said it was good. The kick was kicked higher the goal post.

Also #2 and #7 for SG are great players. I thought #2 was knocked out of the game a couple times but he kept on going, one tough player. I think SG went away from 7 too much late in the game.

Reactions: Black Knight dad
.... High snap on the first first one messed the timing up and from where I was standing in the end zone I swear the 2nd one was good. People directly behind goal post said it was good. The kick was kicked higher the goal post....
I saw one official signal to the referee that the ball went directly over the upright. We thought it looked good, but we had a bad angle.

ND also had TD right before half called back due to a holding call behind the play and had a long play brought back Due to a few lag. ND had a terrible pass interference called on them in 4th quarter. I thought penalties were pretty much even in the damage it done to both teams. Surprised by the missed FGs. High snap on the first first one messed the timing up and from where I was standing in the end zone I swear the 2nd one was good. People directly behind goal post said it was good. The kick was kicked higher the goal post.

Also #2 and #7 for SG are great players. I thought #2 was knocked out of the game a couple times but he kept on going, one tough player. I think SG went away from 7 too much late in the game.
I didn't see the holding happen live that they called that took away a TD for ND....though I thought I did spot one not called on the wildcat TD to make it 14-0....I can't attest for sure that the one on ND's second drive that took away a huge play for illegal touching was a good call or not since it was along ND's sideline, but the line judge on that side took off his hat; therefore I'm assuming that WR #3 stepped out so he can't be the first touch the ball, also believe illegal touching is supposed to be a loss of down in high school with 5 yd penalty (unless it changed from a year or two ago), which they didn't call, but ultimately didn't matter since next play went for a 16 yd gain to the same receiver and picked up a first down...not sure why anybody would think the two DPI penalties against ND were bad calls; defensive guy made contact early while the ball was in the air, in the direction of an eligible receiver...there was one defensive holding call against ND along our sideline in the 4th Qtr when the pass was very incomplete in the other direction that I didn't see happen live and have no idea why they threw it; was expecting another holding or block in the back against SG when the flag came out from the head linesman along our sideline, but must have gotten an ND DB for grabbing a receiver coming off the line

Great to meet bkknights93, I believe it was before the game, have a safe trip next week, going to be another contrast in styles, as I believe East Duplin also is very run heavy with either a Wing T, Wishbone, Power I, or combination of those with the attitude of 'we're going to line up and the run the ball and there's nothing you can do about it'....curious how their defense will do against the spread....glad that SG battled and hung in there; chance to take the lead, trailing by two points, in the red zone in 4th quarter, had plenty of chances and came up short, heard one of our folks say they just hope the ND players knew they that were in a ball game, I was proud of the way our guys responded, when it was 14-0 in the 1st Qtr, there were times when some SG teams from past might have dropped their heads and gone in the tank right then, these guys battled back with an 80 yard drive in 5 plays to get to 14-7....then it would have been just as easy to quit two plays later on the 75 yd run to make it 21-7, but they were resilient and were very much alive still late in 4th, even trailing 28-19 after converting a 4th & 15, really going to miss #7, you could put him at any position on the field on either side of the ball and he's going to dominate, also really going to miss #2, started 38 straight games at QB, hit 1000 yards rushing last night, another guy that could play a lot of positions, he hadn't played much defense all year but he went to safety in 2nd half last night and had 7 tackles and a fumble recovery on only 20 defensive snaps in 2nd half, and a bunch of other seniors that have been starting for 2 or 3 years, including 3 offensive linemen, a couple more guys you saw at RB/DB, and the OLB that got all of the flags at the end, but looking forward to next year, with something like 7 starters on defense returning, will have to develop a new QB and find a couple of new offensive linemen, but that's one of the things that Coach Hobgood has specialized in for more than a decade

Last edited:
Reactions: bkknights93
TarheelG....the defensive holding on and away from the play that you referenced was the call I was referring to. Agree with you as well on the missed call on the sideline that helped us but hurt you guys. Just thought some of the calls (both ways) were suspect. Think both teams had TDS called back. Good game, both teams played so hard.

Might be sad or comical but with all that was posted above, probably still the best officiating crew we had all year, and 102 yards on 12 penalties is not going to win many awards but that's also on the low end for us this year....almost every scoring drive we allowed all year was on penalty ridden drives with unsportsmanlike conduct, personal fouls, and jumping offside....last night, 2 of those 3 encroachments in 1st qtr for jumping offside turned into backbreakers, we've been able to overcome a couple of bad defensive series a game most of the year because the offense would still score 50...much of the year we had problems with a bunch of unsportsmanlike conducts as well; didn't have any of that at all last week in 2nd Rd against West Craven and avoided it at ND until there were less than 2 minutes to go and trailing by 16; you know it's bad when all 5 officials throw their flag at the exact same time and it looks like a bright yellow fireworks display

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT