ADVERTISEMENT

SMC Week 4 pickem

Is this really been confirmed or is this just a rumor?
Of course it's just a rumor, but with the way Hayesville's season is going (and all his best skill players graduating) I don't see him there next year.. whether that's Murphy, Union County or somewhere else in the area.

Last edited:
West Montgomery
Brevard
Murphy
Franklin
Hayesville
Christ School
Cherokee
Union County (GA)
Mountain Heritage

Done deal
lol ok... definitely not. But even if it were Hayesville has certainly had more than their fair share of Murphy transfers over the years (in various sports) as well: JayLee Earls, Trayvon Brown, Marcus Teems, CJ Crowder, Evan Hughes, Tyler Vaughn, etc. and that list is just the last 15 years.

Last edited:
Bball players above.

2 of the 7 were basketball. More baseball on that list, from the years before Murphy got it together on the diamond. But at least one of those kids never went to Murphy and always went to Hayesville because his dad taught there (as with his older brother). Another kid on that list was from Andrews originally, then went to Murphy schools for a while early on then Hayesville Middle and High (without actually living in Hayesville or Murphy district, BTW), so I don't know if it's worth arguing over whether he is a "Murphy kid" or a "Hayesville kid" anyway.

The point I guess I am making is that, for a lot of kids in this area, there are ties to several communities--whether it's a parent teaching at an out-of-district school or two parents in two districts or whatever, every school has gotten kids that could have been at another school at some point, so everybody is kind of throwing rocks from glass houses on this topic.

Last edited:
Same old song every year but it really doesn't matter. Very soon our Cherokee County schools will be consolidated. My problem is with the parents pushing their kids to transfer just to be a part of a championship team. Many times their kids get very little out of the experience other than a championship. How many of these kids go on to the next level ? What are we teaching our kids ? What happened to school & community pride not to mention leaving all their childhood friends. To each his own but I would have to much pride to leave my school, my friends and my town !! Those things mean more than a football championship. Like I said, it doesn't matter. It will not be to long and we will not have the Wildcats, Bulldogs or Eagles in our County. We will be just like Sylva-Webster, a distant memory. Mark my word, it's coming soon

I also have a problem with kids picking schools with athletics in mind. It teaches that shortcuts are better than perseverance and that loyalty keeps you from your goals--basically the opposite of what sports should teach kids. As far as consolidation goes, you may know more than me, but I am hoping they basically keep the 3 current school districts but make them all one elementary/one middle/one high to cut down on some of the elementary overhead costs. I will say that, if Cherokee County goes to one consolidated high school, I wouldn't be surprised to see a charter high school pop up.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
I also have a problem with kids picking schools with athletics in mind. It teaches that shortcuts are better than perseverance and that loyalty keeps you from your goals--basically the opposite of what sports should teach kids. As far as consolidation goes, you may know more than me, but I am hoping they basically keep the 3 current school districts but make them all one elementary/one middle/one high to cut down on some of the elementary overhead costs. I will say that, if Cherokee County goes to one consolidated high school, I wouldn't be surprised to see a charter high school pop up.

From what I'm hearing high school's won't be affected. (Who really knows) all rumors at this point

in fairness just this current year two of hayesvilles best athletes moved from hayesville to murphy for the sole purpose of being in a better situation for baseball. they would have been hayesvilles best two baseball players and both were starters at times and at the least rotational players in basketball. So at the moment murphy is benefiting from transfers with more to come possibly.

I heard from someone in the know that they will be 2 new High Schools with new boundary lines to determine which School the students will attend

2 new? On top of the 4 already? Or do u mean 2 total?
Not counting the EC ofcourse.

Two high schools would be much worse for the county athletically than a single county school, at least a single county school consolidates all of the talent in the county (despite having to play in 2A). A two high school setup would be the death knell for competitive high school athletics in this county imo, both schools would be terrible in football and many other sports.

Two high schools probably makes the most sense from an educational and economic standpoint, but we all know community allegiance and athletics will play a large role in how people take this. For example, if this were to actually happen, my son (still a baby) will never attend Cherokee County Schools.

Two high schools would be much worse for the county athletically than a single county school, at least a single county school consolidates all of the talent in the county (despite having to play in 2A). A two high school setup would be the death knell for competitive high school athletics in this county imo, both schools would be terrible in football and many other sports.

Two high schools probably makes the most sense from an educational and economic standpoint, but we all know community allegiance and athletics will play a large role in how people take this. For example, if this were to actually happen, my son (still a baby) will never attend Cherokee County Schools.
I'm against consolidation. I hate to say that but i'm looking at it totally as a Athletic point of view. I'm afraid that we are out numbered on this.

When does the board meet again? i.e. when will we have some solid answers on this matter?

I'm against consolidation. I hate to say that but i'm looking at it totally as a Athletic point of view. I'm afraid that we are out numbered on this.

One problem with living in a county with a lot of retirees and people who move in after their kids are grown is that it's easy for people with an interest in the schools to get outnumbered.

One problem with living in a county with a lot of retirees and people who move in after their kids are grown is that it's easy for people with an interest in the schools to get outnumbered.
Your exactly right. They start getting into our local government and school board and you start seeing changes that we local mountain folks don't always agree with. It's sad but change is coming

Reactions: BK13T-$
Any word on the plan the architect presented to the school board?
I didn't ask that question. I was thinking consolidation would mean just 1 High School but when I was told 2 I was a little thrown off. But our county is so long it makes sense to do two schools. At that point I voiced my opposition to consolidation all together. I'm a nobody so it's not like they cared for my opinion. Lol

Reactions: mbdfan
Any word on the plan the architect presented to the school board?

Looks like there are 5 plans, but the two high school option would turn Andrews Middle and Ranger Middle into the two high schools with renovations. Next meeting on it is Oct.5 .

We would still be in the same shape. One of the smallest 1A football schools and Murphy would be 1-AA. Neither of our schools gain anything if this happens, Athletically !!!

Murphy might be 2A.
There is no "Murphy" in this scenario, Murphy's current student body will be theoretically split. I say theoretically because having the east high school in Andrews is the stupidest thing I've ever heard, nobody that currently goes to school at Murphy is going to drive up all the way up to Andrews besides maybe kids who live in Tomotla.

Read the article in the Cherokee Scout, it's clear all the school board members are in full support of the two high school plan. I hope people remember that come election time because this is the plan they're going to approve, no doubt in my mind.

I guess I'll start researching now to decide which is better, Union County or Clay County schools, because my son will not be a part of this farce in Cherokee County.

I think you'd see the western high school have 600 or so students, the eastern end probably something like 350. But my question is what are they going to offer at the eastern high school to convince people from Tomotla and Peachtree to send their kids there instead of the Early College, which would be the closer option for them and is starting to offer sports.

Reactions: mbdfan
But my question is what are they going to offer at the eastern high school to convince people from Tomotla and Peachtree to send their kids there instead of the Early College
Nothing. I live in Peachtree and it would be just as close for my son to go to school in Hayesville as it would Ranger or Andrews.

From an athletics perspective all this is going to do is divide the talent base even further. I don't see East, West or Tri County Early College being all that great at anything. West MIGHT be solid in baseball, softball, volleyball and girl's basketball some years, but that is it for potential title contending teams in the county. Football? lol, Cherokee County will have no success in that sport if this happens.

Last edited:
Well it isn't a done deal yet, and it's just one of 5 options. But I did get the impression that was the favored option.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT