ADVERTISEMENT

SMC Week 4 pickem

Based on the article in the scout, I agree with you.

My son is currently in 6th grade and it sounds very possible that he won't be a bulldog because they won't exist.

So will cherokee or swain be affected at all? what schools will go away,
Nope, Cherokee and Swain are both in Swain County. The schools that would/will be affected are in Cherokee County: Andrews, Murphy and Hiwassee Dam, none of the three will exist if this comes to fruition.

Based on the article in the scout, I agree with you.

My son is currently in 6th grade and it sounds very possible that he won't be a bulldog because they won't exist.

They could always call the school in Ranger the Murphy Bulldogs and the eastern end school be the Andrews Wildcats, who knows...I really thought they'd basically go to three K-12 clusters.

I really thought they'd basically go to three K-12 clusters.
That's what should happen but you have a group of school board members who are either A) not from the area B) attended a county school other than Murphy or C) spineless cowards trying to play "politically correct" to appeal to the broader county demographic.

The bottomline is Murphy High will be no more and there are many people in the Andrews area and the western end of the county who are ecstatic at that fact.

Last edited:
Of course the super intendent from Andrews would want to keep a school at Andrews and Ranger and dissolve Murphy smh .
If anyone from Murphy supports her and her school board cohort come time for re-election they're turncoat trash.

Last edited:
Reactions: smcdogfan
I think you'd see the western high school have 600 or so students, the eastern end probably something like 350. But my question is what are they going to offer at the eastern high school to convince people from Tomotla and Peachtree to send their kids there instead of the Early College, which would be the closer option for them and is starting to offer sports.
exactly, I hate it for everyone.

They could always call the school in Ranger the Murphy Bulldogs and the eastern end school be the Andrews Wildcats, who knows...I really thought they'd basically go to three K-12 clusters.
Well my source was correct on the 2 school plan. Again, i'm totally against it

That's what should happen but you have a group of school board members who are either A) not from the area B) attended a county school other than Murphy or C) spineless cowards trying to play "politically correct" to appeal to the broader county demographic.

The bottomline is Murphy High will be no more and there are many people in the Andrews area and the western end of the county who are ecstatic at that fact.
Let's not get carried away. The people from Andrews & Hiwassee Dam love their school as much as the people from Murphy. We don't want it either. The sad thing is it is inevitable and it's not all just about Murphy

Sooner or later the county will have no choice regardless how the fans feel.
That may be. But I don't know what our choices will be. They would have to build in the middle of the county. Because Rosman has kids from Balsam Grove that have troubles sometimes making it to Rosman. And then for Brevard kids that live in little river near hville line. I guess my point is you put kids at one school or another those places would struggle to make it to school.Here lately a lot of talk. But I believe there was a great article about combining schools in local paper that $ would not benefit trans Co at this time. This stinks for Andrews and Murphy if this takes place.

They only thing I saw about timing is that they want a $15M grant for Tier I schools to help with all of this, but they've missed this year's application deadline so can't apply for it until next year.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
I know how. Its BS!

Your right murphy has been a tier 2 while Graham has been a tier 1. Tier 1s get first chance at grants ect. Some surronding coubties complained about graham getting more money, grants, ect. Then out of the blue the rules was changed on how counties was placed in tier 1 or 2. Last i read under the new rule murphy would become a 1 and graham a 2. Basically poorer counties are a one and less poor are a 2. Now who believes murphy is as poor as Graham. The rules were changed to get murphy more money and now we are seeing why. New schools.
This sounds alot like the enrollment thing. Both are twisted and not a true measure of the numbers.

They were Tier 2 until this year, but just dropped to Tier 1. Not sure how a major employer moves into a small county and it still drops a tier, but it happened.
Please tell me what the tiers mean, I have not heard this terminology with schools or counties.

Show me how it's practical to have your closest high school over 10 miles outside of the county seat/population center.

Sports aside, this is the kind of thing that can make a town dry up.

Reactions: mbdfan
Sports aside, this is the kind of thing that can make a town dry up.[/QUOTE]

You hit the nail on the head.

Please tell me what the tiers mean, I have not heard this terminology with schools or counties.

NC Department of Commerce ranks counties in terms of the strength of the local economy. Bottom 40 counties are Tier 1. Next 40 are Tier 2. 20 strongest counties economically are Tier 3. Tier 1's are eligible for the most public dollars, Tier 3's the least.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT