ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball SMC MEN

SamTheMan

Aug 25, 2001
After a few games, not much has changed. Won't know about Robbinsville for a few weeks. Either Jackets are not as strong asI thought or Swain is vastly improved. Cherokee looking very good. Rosman looking very good. Andrews should be respectable with all the althetes they had on football team. Murphy, well, there gonna be real lucky to get outta the cellar!!

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
Judging from the Rosman-Murphy score, the Bulldogs aren't much better this year than they've been. And Andrews lost to Nantahala last night, so either Nantahala is having another rare group come through like they had 6 or 7 years ago, or the Wildcats are in for a long year.

And don't write Hayesville off just because the Swain game closer than expected. It's early, and Swain has a lot returning to get them out of the cellar this year. I'm guessing they will be 4th this year and will play everybody tough. Hayesville has size, two D-1 prospects and several other 3 and 4 year varsity players, and a roster that is about 80% seniors, so I think they will be OK. A conference win on the road in the first game of the season is nothing to complain about.

Last edited:
The Wildcats just came out of football with only 2 weeks of practice. They actually looked real good just to have so little time to get prepared. We have a good mixture of youth, 1 Freshman, 4 Sophomores couple of Juniors and 6 Seniors. The SMC is strong again so it will be a challenge. As for Nantahala they are a very good team. They shoot the 3 and hustle on every play. We were up by 10 with only 2 minutes left and made some youthful mistakes that gave the game away. As in in football we just hope to compete and improve as the season goes on.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
Nantahala is 4-0 and they have real good numbers this year for such a small school. As anybody who has followed the SMC long enough can tell you, the Hawks can be pretty tough every once in a while when they get a big group and play them a lot of minutes for 4 years.

As for Andrews, I remember when they were a force to be reckoned with, not just in the SMC but statewide, and I hope they can get back to that level someday. It's good for the community and basketball is the sport where you can do the most with the smallest numbers. This year, though, I think there will be a basketball "big 3" of Hayesville, Cherokee, and Rosman, with Swain and Robbinsville in the next tier, then Andrews, then Murphy.

Cherokee will get a good test on Monday night when A.C. Reynolds (4A) comes to town!!
Good luck Braves!

Nothing has changed, the varsity program at Murphy will remain a joke as long as the current head coach is in place. 'Dogs were able to get by on talent for years but now that the current coach's act has worn thin and the talent no longer bothers to play, you see the results and they're not pretty.

I didn't attend a game last year and won't be attending another one as long as the administration is content with this. The difference between the JV program and the varsity program the last few years is night and day and there's a good reason for that. It's pretty telling when you talk to pretty much any former player of the varsity coach and not one of them has anything positive to say about his coaching ability. Ask them the same question about the coaching they got on the JV team and you'll get a totally different response.

It's clear what the problem is and what needs to happen, but when nothing happened after last season, I lost any faith in the administration actually caring whether or not the basketball program is terrible.

Last edited:
Nothing has changed, the varsity program at Murphy will remain a joke as long as the current head coach is in place. 'Dogs were able to get by on talent for years but now that the current coach's act has worn thin and the talent no longer bothers to play, you see the results and they're not pretty.

I didn't attend a game last year and won't be attending another one as long as the administration is content with this. The difference between the JV program and the varsity program the last few years is night and day and there's a good reason for that. It's pretty telling when you talk to pretty much any former player of the varsity coach and not one of them has anything positive to say about his coaching ability. Ask them the same question about the coaching they got on the JV team and you'll get a totally different response.

It's clear what the problem is and what needs to happen, but when nothing happened after last season, I lost any faith in the administration actually caring whether or not the basketball program is terrible.

Don't understand the logic here. Changing a coach is a fairly simple matter. Doesn't mean you are taking their livelihood. Just let them continue to teach and get a new Coach. We're only talking about a couple thousand $$ here. IMHO, all sports are a reflection on the AD. Why would Gentry be satisfied with current status?
Just askin....

Also a reflection on Principal, Supt. and School board. Looks like somebody would start asking the hard questions.

Reactions: mbdfan
It's a crying shame as many great athletes that has come through Murpy that the administration wouldn't want to dominate at all sports !

Another dismal beginning for MHS basketball. 0-3 to start the season and average margin of loss close to 25 pts.

Braves beat Andrews by 30 could of been worse. After a slow start the caught fire.

Lady Braves rebounded from tough loss Monday to jump all over Andrews .. Running clock early in 3rd.

Reactions: lad0215
Andrews started 1 freshman, 2 sophomore, 1 junior and one senior for boys. We started the game good and being tied at 16 after one. Cherokee depth was just to much. I was highly disappointed in our girls not bringing any energy. It's a long season and our girls need to step it up. No excuses of being young anymore just play fundamental basketball and hustle

Don't understand the logic here. Changing a coach is a fairly simple matter. Doesn't mean you are taking their livelihood. Just let them continue to teach and get a new Coach. We're only talking about a couple thousand $$ here. IMHO, all sports are a reflection on the AD. Why would Gentry be satisfied with current status?
Just askin....
I don't get it, the coach isn't even a Murphy guy (Hiwassee Dam grad) he's a nice guy but there's no logical reason why a change can't be made. The only explanation(s) that would explain why are: A) the athletic department simply doesn't care that the basketball program is terrible, B) the coach has friends in high places, C) both

Murphy was able to win the SMC in football, basketball and baseball 3 years in a row not that long ago, so there's no reason they shouldn't be competitive in all three sports all the time. And you can't tell me it's a lack of athletes because the football and baseball programs are doing just fine. I'm not saying the basketball team would win the conference this year (or even finish top 3) with a different head coach and with all the talent out for the team, but they damn share wouldn't be getting embarrassed night in and night out like they have the last two years.

The main excuse I've gotten is the talent isn't there. You're right the talent isn't there, because they aren't playing for this guy anymore because they know the deal. Bring in a new coach (they've already got a good candidate right there under him) and I guarantee there would be a noticeable improvement in both player turnout and the product on the court.

It's a joke but it seems like nobody cares as long as the football program is doing good. I'm the only one from Murphy who has said anything about it on here the last 2-3 years. If parents, boosters, etc. aren't going to demand a change, why should I spend any time caring either? I'm done with it until a change is a made and from the looks of it I may be waiting a long time. It's probably going to take Murphy losing talented football players to transfer to another school, because of the basketball program, for a change to be made.

Last edited:
Reactions: ObserveAndReport
Do you think there is a perception that investing in basketball would hurt football? Winning basketball these days takes a good bit of summer ball, when a lot of football activities are going on.

I think basketball is great for football ! Especially for backs and secondary. Look at the conditioning and the agility skills you have to have in order to play basketball. Just my opinion

Do you think there is a perception that investing in basketball would hurt football? Winning basketball these days takes a good bit of summer ball, when a lot of football activities are going on.
I know its like pulling teeth to get our kids to pick up a basketball before nov., cant even get kids to go to camp during summer.

The sad thing is the girl's basketball program is in even worse shape and they have no excuses like competing with football for athletes. They don't even know how to run a set play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT