ADVERTISEMENT

Small 4A looks loaded

Chopper747

Jul 31, 2006
I know it's too early but based on current performance end of last year .....

Catholic, Dudley, Scotland, Vance

4AA MIGHT be interesting if Page develops into some 2011 version and/or goes east.

Dudley vs Page might be the best 4A/4AA regular season matchup until playoffs

Mallard Creek / Vance will be a doozy of a 4AA / 4A matchup as well. Assuming Vance goes small, of course, which is no guarantee.

Mallard Creek / Vance will be a doozy of a 4AA / 4A matchup as well. Assuming Vance goes small, of course, which is no guarantee.

I thought about that game but wasn't sure based on MC's potential to pull away in the late quarters even if it is one of those closer than score indicates 21-10 type of game. I see Dudley/Page being a last minute heart attach type of game, though I could be totally wrong on both.

[QUOTE="Chopper747, post: 162411, member: 2372"

Dudley vs Page might be the best 4A/4AA regular season matchup until playoffs[/QUOTE]

Pending on how Richmond comes along, they have Dudley in a few weeks
then Scotland to finish the year. 4a/4aa

Reactions: Chopper747
So does a 4A title count as Big Boy football or does it have to be 4AA?

If you had someone from your team on each of these National lists, would that qualify as Big Boy football?

http://www.maxpreps.com/leaders/football/offense,passing/stat-leaders.htm

http://www.maxpreps.com/leaders/football/offense,receiving/stat-leaders.htm

http://www.maxpreps.com/leaders/football/defense,tackles/stat-leaders.htm

They dont play big boy opponents. If one of the top NBA 6 man played in the NBA D league he would have killer stats too.

They dont play big boy opponents. If one of the top NBA 6 man played in the NBA D league he would have killer stats too.

Ok, with that logic, since 3A Havelock destroyed defending 4A champion New Bern, does Havelock play Big Boy football?

Ok, with that logic, since 3A Havelock destroyed defending 4A champion New Bern, does Havelock play Big Boy football?

dont deflect, when your school stops ducking competition down the road in Meck County and across the state border, and stop scheduling mountain schools to pad your stats, then you can talk.

So does a 4A title count as Big Boy football or does it have to be 4AA?
It depends on who the 4A school beats in order to win their title. Scotland is the smallest school in what is traditionally a 4AA heavyweight conference, and they play 4AA brand name teams like Richmond, Britt and, this year, Indy on their way to whatever accolades they earn at the end of a season. They absolutely play Big Boy football...ESPECIALLY if they blow some of these teams out (Big Boy bonus points!). They also usually run into a couple of top-10 ranked teams in the playoffs to further solidify their case.

Hillside, on the other hand, geez...not so much. Their title was won while New Bern was having a down year and otherwise while loading up on really bad Raleigh teams while playing in a really bad Raleigh conference, and they even drew a 4-loss team in the state title game. That's one of the least impressive state champs in NC history. There wasn't much Big Boy football being played by them at all that year. And that doesn't mean that they didn't have a good team...because they did...but they didn't earn much street cred with that schedule they played that year. There were bunch of teams in the state who could've went undefeated ordering from that pastry menu.

For perspective, let's talk about Garinger for a second. They haven't won a game in years...and yet they still have the balls to schedule Mallard Creek as one of their OOC games while also playing Butler and Indy in-conference every year. Talk about playing some Big Boy football! Much, much, much respect for the kids and coaches at Garinger. Those kids bring it and don't back down from anyone!

Earning respect from the rest of the state is a two step process...

1) Play somebody
2) Beat somebody

It's not rocket science in any way.

Last edited:
Reactions: FierceScot
Hillside, on the other hand, geez...not so much. Their title was won while New Bern was having a down year and otherwise while loading up on really bad Raleigh teams while playing in a really bad Raleigh conference, and they even drew a 4-loss team in the state title game. That's one of the least impressive state champs in NC history. There wasn't much Big Boy football being played by them at all that year. And that doesn't mean that they didn't have a good team...because they did...but they didn't earn much street cred with that schedule they played that year. There were bunch of teams in the state who could've went undefeated ordering from that pastry menu.

Earning respect from the rest of the state is a two step process...

1) Play somebody
2) Beat somebody

It's not rocket science in any way.

You got a hold to some bad info.....Name one team from Raleigh that played Hillside in 2010. It's pretty much impossible because we don't play in a Raleigh conference. In fact, Raleigh teams make it a point to stay off our non conference football schedule. I don't even think we played one in the playoffs, now that I think about it, they all go 4AA.

New Bern was undefeated until they played Hillside in 2010 and you calling that a down year for the Bears ???? What are you really trying to say? The fact is: Undefeated team beat another undefeated team in The 2010 Eastern Championship game. 2 step process complete. Played somebody and beat somebody.

You got it ALLL WRONG. Hillside definitely PLAYED BIG BOY football in 2010. Evidently, no one in the 4A West was. Not our fault the West couldn't step their game up. Anybody in the 4A West was catching the L against Hillside that year, regardless.

I know everybody is all into the trendy slang stuff and all but. In Durham, "street cred" aint earned on the football field.

My info is fine, except that I see now you drew a SEVEN loss team in the state title game. How the heck is that even possible? Oh, and 2010 wasn't the down year for New Bern I was thinking of (that happened in 2009 instead).

Grimsley: 1-10
South View: 4-8
EE Smith: 6-6
Dudley: 9-4
Southern Durham: 6-7
Person: 4-7
Jordan: 7-5
Riverside: 1-10
East Chapel Hill: 1-10
Northern Durham: 5-7
SE Guilford: 6-6
Swett: 8-5
Lee County: 8-6
New Bern: 13-1
Davie County: 9-7

Combined record of opponents: 88-99 (47.0%)

Out of this sad lot, New Bern was the only top 10 team you played all year (tied for #7 in the AP poll). That was a nice win, BTW, and respect given for that one. I'm not really seeing much else there that stands out to me.

Hey Hokie......Any team that win State Title is a very good team PERIOD! Hillside has been a very good team for a good while and even though they only won state title. They did beat many good teams since 2010. There are some teams I don't care for but if they win State Title, they are a good team in my book. Hillside did beat Dudley that year and even though Dudley had 4 losses that year, they certainly were not a pushover. Davie County just got hot at the end and play way above their head during the playoff run. They were overwhelmed in State Final.

There is no need to put down any team that win State title in any classes!

Hokie,

Well. Hillside played Big Boy football in 2010. There was at least one other team playing Big Boy football in 4A and that was New Bern. The eastern championship was really the title game. People talk a lot about how mighty football is in the Western part of the state, yet no one showed up in 2010. They all got beat by Davie in the playoffs, but people are saying Davie wasn't good. Teams in the west lost to them, while Hillside was up 40-0 on Davie at halftime. And the 2010 Hillside get slighted for that ?? For doing what the rest of the 4A West couldn't do ? Really......

Hokie,

Well. Hillside played Big Boy football in 2010. There was at least one other team playing Big Boy football in 4A and that was New Bern. The eastern championship was really the title game. People talk a lot about how mighty football is in the Western part of the state, yet no one showed up in 2010. They all got beat by Davie in the playoffs, but people are saying Davie wasn't good. Teams in the west lost to them, while Hillside was up 40-0 on Davie at halftime. And the 2010 Hillside get slighted for that ?? For doing what the rest of the 4A West couldn't do ? Really......

The wests dominant 4A teams are mostly 4AA, much of the small 4A teams west of the middle were always on the mediocre side before the split classifications or they were 2A/3A schools that experienced rapid growth(save for Dudley), and others are fairly new. Of course most often they may not show up due to a thin field to begin with. There's not alot of constant change in growth out east so your small 4A can be more consistent.

The eastern championship was really the title game. People talk a lot about how mighty football is in the Western part of the state, yet no one showed up in 2010.
Western power is mostly talking about the 4AA ranks and ultimately, national rankings. I don't think you'll find too many arguing that the 4A division has not been totally ruled by the East over the last decade. The lower classifications mostly seem to be fairly balanced overall, but the two upper divisions have been pretty one-sided of late.

I'm still trying to figure out how bad the 4A West was in 2010 to allow a SEVEN loss team to make it to the title game (six losses during the regular season). C'mon, people. How did a six-loss regular season team even qualify for the playoffs to begin with? How bad was their conference that year?

The wests dominant 4A teams are mostly 4AA, much of the small 4A teams west of the middle were always on the mediocre side before the split classifications or they were 2A/3A schools that experienced rapid growth(save for Dudley), and others are fairly new. Of course most often they may not show up due to a thin field to begin with. There's not alot of constant change in growth out east so your small 4A can be more consistent.

Ok. so It sounds like all the talk has been about 4AA teams out west. The split classifications stuff is all well and good but if the 4A West is watered down, its still not a reason to criticize the 4A State Champ from the east. So I guess the small 4A champs just don't play big boy football in some people's eyes. Makes sense if you from the west though if all your 4A teams are light weight. You're just used to seeing bad 4A football I guess.

Not like that over here in the East.

Western power is mostly talking about the 4AA ranks and ultimately, national rankings. I don't think you'll find too many arguing that the 4A division has not been totally ruled by the East over the last decade. The lower classifications mostly seem to be fairly balanced overall, but the two upper divisions have been pretty one-sided of late.

I'm still trying to figure out how bad the 4A West was in 2010 to allow a SEVEN loss team to make it to the title game (six losses during the regular season). C'mon, people. How did a six-loss regular season team even qualify for the playoffs to begin with? How bad was their conference that year?

Hokie,

Don't know how bad Davie Co conference was. Usually bad teams get put out of the playoffs early if they make it in.

Out of curiosity I looked up Davie schedule for 2010. They lost to 3A champ West Rowan that went 16-0 in year 3 of their state title runs. A 10-3 Page team that did some nice things in 2011 in 4AA. An 11-2 Mt Tabor team they ended up getting revenge on in the playoffs. A 9-3 North Davidson squad they ended up beating in the first round of the playoffs. Apparently one of the best Alexander Central teams in history that went 9-3 and a Thomasville team that went 11-2 losing to state runner up Carver. Crazy schedule strength in the regular season and they ended up getting revenge on two of their losses. They also beat a Porter Ridge team in the state semifinals that was undefeated on the field but lost a game due to forfeit.

Out of curiosity I looked up Davie schedule for 2010. They lost to 3A champ West Rowan that went 16-0 in year 3 of their state title runs. A 10-3 Page team that did some nice things in 2011 in 4AA. An 11-2 Mt Tabor team they ended up getting revenge on in the playoffs. A 9-3 North Davidson squad they ended up beating in the first round of the playoffs. Apparently one of the best Alexander Central teams in history that went 9-3 and a Thomasville team that went 11-2 losing to state runner up Carver. Crazy schedule strength in the regular season and they ended up getting revenge on two of their losses. They also beat a Porter Ridge team in the state semifinals that was undefeated on the field but lost a game due to forfeit.
That all sounds good on the surface...until you look at the margins of defeat...3, 15, 40, 20, 34, 23, 40 points.

It was a good schedule, but Davie wasn't even pretending to be competitive in several of those blowout losses, so I think the playoff run still doesn't make any sense. Without digging deeper, my hunch is that the 4A West bracket that season was really, really weak.

That all sounds good on the surface...until you look at the margins of defeat...3, 15, 40, 20, 34, 23, 40 points.

It was a good schedule, but Davie wasn't even pretending to be competitive in several of those blowout losses, so I think the playoff run still doesn't make any sense. Without digging deeper, my hunch is that the 4A West bracket that season was really, really weak.

Or they had injuries/suspensions during the early part of the season or some young guys were brought in place of less effective older guys. A lot more can be gleamed than simply looking at scores. Maybe a poster that follows Davie more closely can comment. The Porter Ridge team they beat in the semifinals was undefeated on the field and they got their revenge out in early rounds.

Davie just had one helluva run in the playoffs and beat good teams along the way. Maybe a Davie follower can tell us how they did it. But all those teams they beat couldn't have been slouches, so I give them credit for those wins.

The Porter Ridge team they beat in the semifinals was undefeated on the field and they got their revenge out in early rounds.
Back in those days, Sun Valley was the only 4A team that Porter Ridge played all season until they hit the playoffs. PR, for some, was proof that it doesn't matter who you play if you're a good team. For others, they were proof that if you've not been tested before you get there, then you won't win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT