ADVERTISEMENT

Shelby at Crest

I was so confused by the Shelby 4th down play lmao I still can’t believe they lined up to run it right at Crest

I thought Crest looked pretty good overall. The kicker is a huge asset with your defense. The offense is decent but nothing like when Greene played in 2015.

I thought Crest looked pretty good overall. The kicker is a huge asset with your defense. The offense is decent but nothing like when Greene played in 2015.
We got work to do on offense. For sure.

Congrats to Crest, whipped us on both sides up front.
Shelby gotta start over, we need to get tougher all around.

Game was ugly in my humble opinion. Crest got suckerd to jump on the hard count way to many times. Those screen passes were apparently really hard to catch lol and Crest got caught running them mouths too much. (And apparently so did some fans, still don’t know what that was all about) If Crest doesn’t get focused and stop the penalties, Weddington will walk all over the Chargers.

Shelby Lion said he believes they would get things right as the season goes on... There is a reason for playing a tough non-conference schedule and I see it paying dividends for them by playoff time. I could almost guarantee it if injuries are kept to a minimum. I easily see the Lions in the third or fourth round and it wouldn't surprise me if they played for another title.

Shelby Lion said he believes they would get things right as the season goes on... There is a reason for playing a tough non-conference schedule and I see it paying dividends for them by playoff time. I could almost guarantee it if injuries are kept to a minimum. I easily see the Lions in the third or fourth round and it wouldn't surprise me if they played for another title.

Lincolnton, you remember 2012, when Thomasville played a brutal non-conference schedule and started 0-6. That team won 7 of the remaining 8, beat Maiden and your Wolves in the playoffs, eventually losing to East Lincoln in the third round. We discovered a linebacker turned running back, named Gabe Brockett who rushed for over 3500 yards that year, over 2500 in the last seven games. And a road grader named Frank Ingram suddenly got mean at offensive tackle, and was named first team all state.
Sometimes all it takes is that one or two missing pieces.
I suspect Shelby may find theirs.

Reactions: CHEERDUCK
What a great rivalry I think it's the best, but I'm a littlebias. Crest really dominated the line of scrimmage on both sides on the ball. Crest defense is playing pretty good just need to play a little smarter. The offense still needs to improve to compete with the best teams in 3a. Shelby will get better they have talent and will be tough come playoff time. They're probably a year away from getting back to winning championships.

This is such a special game between these to schools. The game was a little chippy at times, but that's what you expect in this game. The schools are only 6 - 7 miles apart. You have friends, cousins, kids that attend the same church the community is just so close. That's why this game is so intense because if you lose you'll hear about it for a whole year at church, work, and just around town. A lot more respect in the rivalry now a days. After the game last night they shook hands and then split up with their team and coaches. Of course Crest celebrated along with the student body. But after all of that the players started mingling together talking and some even taking pictures with one another. This went on for 30 - 40 mins after the game ended. Just a very special thing between two of the best football programs in the State. Good luck the rest of the way Lions. Go Chargers!!

Reactions: BellyNole
We were confused too. I believe it was the kid’s first carry of the year.
That play and not having people ready to line up for xp is inexcusable. You can’t put new people in positions with a few days of preparation and it expect it to work. That’s nothing but desperation.

Reactions: Crestuff
Game was ugly in my humble opinion. Crest got suckerd to jump on the hard count way to many times. Those screen passes were apparently really hard to catch lol and Crest got caught running them mouths too much. (And apparently so did some fans, still don’t know what that was all about) If Crest doesn’t get focused and stop the penalties, Weddington will walk all over the Chargers.

6 penalties for 85 yards.
3 15 yarders in the second half when things got chippy.
2 holding calls.
1 offside on defense.

Without a doubt, Coach Eddins would like to see the offense get a little crisper, but if somebody had told me Crest would be 3-0 with a 21 point win over Shelby before the year started I would take it and run and hide.

2 holding calls.
1 offside on defense.

Without a doubt, Coach Eddins would like to see the offense get a little crisper, but if somebody had told me Crest would be 3-0 with a 21 point win over Shelby before the year started I would take it and run and hide.
And numerous face masks calls that ref on the Crest sideline couldn’t see lololol

2 holding calls.
1 offside on defense.

Hey Smash - those officials were a lot better than those in Pennsylvania Thursday night:(:rolleyes: aweful but congrats

Well as bad as it was I did see some improvement. The O line did give Bess a little more time. Still can't run the ball at all. After the first two scores by Crest the D actually played pretty good after that even though they were on the field virtually the whole ball game and had to be dead tired. Still need to make many changes. First on is put Jack back at DT and put the Hopper kid at LB. Offense need to use two RB's and add in a TE to sure up the blocking and maybe be able to run the ball a little. Just can't keep going 3 and out with 3 passing plays and the defense getting less than a minutes rest. Also somehow our coaches have to figure out to stop sending all the receivers 30 and 40 yds down field at the same time and no one in the middle or a dump off receiver. To many times they are all down field between the hash marks and the sidelines bunched together making it way to easy to defend. If your going to run this offense then use the whole field. Don't give up there are 7 more games left.

Reactions: SHS LION
Shelby fans do not despair too much. Crest is really good defensively. It will be tough for any team to move the ball consistently on them when they are dialed in.

Shelby Star had link to a 2 paragraph article on the Gazette about the game and one of the paragraphs was about the student section. Absolutely pitiful.

Shelby Star had link to a 2 paragraph article on the Gazette about the game and one of the paragraphs was about the student section. Absolutely pitiful.
The star has only gotten worse since Gabe left.

Crest qb has a tendency to lean forward before the snap. Looks like he's offsides. Never called, but another group of refs may see it differently.

Reactions: Swo_05
We haven’t had a set that saw it differently in 2 years but what do I no lol

Crest qb has a tendency to lean forward before the snap. Looks like he's offsides. Never called, but another group of refs may see it differently.

Not to be picky, but do you mean possibly a false start instead of offsides? He’s in the shotgun at the snap, so that would have to be a heck of a lean to make it all the way across the line of scrimmage. Not an issue, from my perspective!

Last edited:
What a great rivalry I think it's the best, but I'm a littlebias. Crest really dominated the line of scrimmage on both sides on the ball. Crest defense is playing pretty good just need to play a little smarter. The offense still needs to improve to compete with the best teams in 3a. Shelby will get better they have talent and will be tough come playoff time. They're probably a year away from getting back to winning championships.

This is such a special game between these to schools. The game was a little chippy at times, but that's what you expect in this game. The schools are only 6 - 7 miles apart. You have friends, cousins, kids that attend the same church the community is just so close. That's why this game is so intense because if you lose you'll hear about it for a whole year at church, work, and just around town. A lot more respect in the rivalry now a days. After the game last night they shook hands and then split up with their team and coaches. Of course Crest celebrated along with the student body. But after all of that the players started mingling together talking and some even taking pictures with one another. This went on for 30 - 40 mins after the game ended. Just a very special thing between two of the best football programs in the State. Good luck the rest of the way Lions. Go Chargers!!
This GAME was only SPECIAL to you because WON.

It’s not just 7 but the backs as well. Was told that it will not get called because they consistently do it. That explanation seemed off to me but oh well.

To ocdavis31,
How well I remember Thomasville beating us in the second round of the playoffs. The score was something like 55-14, a complete drubbing. I also remember their losses early in the season to tough teams, some 4A like High Point Central,Davie and I believe North Davidson was 4A at the time..
The 2012 season is a good example of how a difficult schedule can make some teams develop and find standouts among their ranks like Gabe Brockett. He simply ran through us and there wasn’t much we could do about it. Shelby is definitely that kind of team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT