ADVERTISEMENT

Rule Question?

Ding Dong

Oct 5, 2001
Maybe I missed it, but what happened to the Rules or Ref forum that used to be here? Some of my Scotland "friends" are discussing the sudden appearance of a wide receiver from East Forsyth that was wide open. Some claim he came in from the sideline, without going to the huddle, and just stepped on the field in an attempt to deceive the defense. If so, it was certainly a successful attempt. Is there any rule against what they are alleging happened? Are all eligible players required to "break the huddle"?

I am pretty sure the player never left the field. Offense lined up and no one went over. Appeared to be miscommunication on assignment. East Forsyth O was not ready for it. QB said later that he looked over and there was no one on him so he rushed the snap.

Reactions: Raiders Rollin
I think Scotland thought EF was going to run a double tight set again and try to run down the clock some more. No one went out to the WR and the QB noticed it and called a quick snap and snapped the ball. 3 people knew what was going on: Center, QB, WR. No coaches called a played, this was strictly on Lyles (QB)

Maybe I missed it, but what happened to the Rules or Ref forum that used to be here? Some of my Scotland "friends" are discussing the sudden appearance of a wide receiver from East Forsyth that was wide open. Some claim he came in from the sideline, without going to the huddle, and just stepped on the field in an attempt to deceive the defense. If so, it was certainly a successful attempt. Is there any rule against what they are alleging happened? Are all eligible players required to "break the huddle"?

It is still there hidden under the open discussion heading, really hard to find. But to answer your question, there is no requirement for breaking the huddle. All players must be inside the numbers after the ready is blown, after that they can go anywhere.

Also breaking the huddle with 12 is not a HS rule as most people think.

Player wasn’t on the field on the prior play. He came in for a tight end. The EF qb even stated that in the press conference. He said we ran a sub in and they didn’t cover him.

As I understand it is the player has to report inside the numbers. Scotland coaches were calling timeout a couple seconds prior to the snap, but the guy on their side didn’t see it/hear it.

Last edited:
Player wasn’t on the field on the prior play. He came in for a tight end. The EF qb even stated that in the press conference. He said we ran a sub in and they didn’t cover him.

As I understand it is the player has to report inside the numbers. Scotland coaches were calling timeout a couple seconds prior to the snap, but the guy on their side didn’t see it/hear it.
Sooo they ran a sleeper play? Like Asheville in 2005

Thank you, S-nut, for answering my questions. I was not debating whether or not it happened, but simply asking if there was such a rule.

Reactions: Sportsnut17

1. It is a rule to come inside the numbers if you come from the sideline.
2. The ball was on the 14-yard line, meaning the players and coaches cannot be past the 25-yard line, so you cannot just step onto the field from the sideline.
3. They haven't stopped EF run game all night, so the chances of that happening 14 yards in were slim. Them scoring quickly was better for Scotland at least giving them a chance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT