ADVERTISEMENT

Richmond

I think it would not hurt .
I mean you have the coaches who knows the players and the players know the coaches they have a connection which is key in coaching.
They have the relationships with the parents.
They know who is calm and collected , they know the rowdy ones and the parents you may have to ask to leave a game lol .
Also some of them coaches played for Richmond and I think maybe they have gotten that ring or rings !!!!
The travel team is very disciplined and honest you can’t be weak to play on the team it’s a big difference between parks & rec…
Honestly I wish Richmond had a travel team for soccer.
That’s what my child plays she is 6 and has played 4 seasons and this is her 5th season and she finally got some good coaches.
Btw she been really mad that Richmond has been losing but like I told her you still stand behind your team …
like I also told every team you been on has lose games but you still kept playing and having a smile on face and kept trying.
That’s what you got to do here is stand by team and hope for better
TBH yall sound a lil crazy. A tradition rich program with a coach that had multiple successful seasons and is now struggling the suggestion is bring in a travel ball coach as conference season starts? It smells of daddy ball TBH. Sure there are great travel coaches some that could actually coach high level HS ball. But think how team morale and team communication would breakdown when Johnny's dad is now coach and undermining the HC. For better or worse its Coach Tills team. Let him figure it out or find someone else. Apply for the job yourself, but dont disrespect a hard working head coach amd staff by suggesting adding AAU dads will make a difference. Its easy stacking these travel teams with great talent and winning on Saturdays vs. Playing equal or better talent and having to gameplan, scout, train, coach and teach.

RC is a proud program. They will bounce back. If not this year than the next.

From an enrollment standpoint is Richmond closer to 3A than 4A? I can understand Richmond getting blown out by Butler but Myers Park might be the eleventh best Charlotte team. I didn’t expect a blowout in that game, I could see a close loss not being terrible.

From an enrollment standpoint is Richmond closer to 3A than 4A? I can understand Richmond getting blown out by Butler but Myers Park might be the eleventh best Charlotte team. I didn’t expect a blowout in that game, I could see a close loss not being terrible.
Long way from 3A. Just over 2,000 students grades 9-12.

TBH yall sound a lil crazy. A tradition rich program with a coach that had multiple successful seasons and is now struggling the suggestion is bring in a travel ball coach as conference season starts? It smells of daddy ball TBH. Sure there are great travel coaches some that could actually coach high level HS ball. But think how team morale and team communication would breakdown when Johnny's dad is now coach and undermining the HC. For better or worse its Coach Tills team. Let him figure it out or find someone else. Apply for the job yourself, but dont disrespect a hard working head coach amd staff by suggesting adding AAU dads will make a difference. Its easy stacking these travel teams with great talent and winning on Saturdays vs. Playing equal or better talent and having to gameplan, scout, train, coach and teach.

RC is a proud program. They will bounce back. If not this year than the next.
It's going to be several years before Richmond will be competitive again. Varsity just doesn't have the talent and the JV team is even worse. Maybe a new head coach and offensive defensive coordinators would help. Don't know...it just breaks my heart to see such a storied and proud program being humiliated week in and week out.

Go raiders!

Reactions: Greengold_4ever
TBH yall sound a lil crazy.
With all due respect BD, some of the things i am reading by some of our "faithful" are way beyond a lil crazy they are down right delusional. Funny we went from delusions of thinking people like Tommy Knotts, Bobby Poss, Maurice Flowers and Antonio King coming to Richmond to now lil Billy's dad who coaches football part time.

Is Richmond playing the best players, according to fans in the stands, they never have ...so why start now. As far me I have no clue because i am not at practice everyday, nor am i in the weight room or the classrooms but i do know a group of people who are. Now having said that, there is a group of people I watch during games that makes me shake my head and wonder "is there really nobody better to put out there?" You want to really see Richmonds problems? Try this, pick an offensive lineman each series, watch only that player on every play, ignore the motions, the QB, RB's and the ball. Watch each one of those lineman for a whole series and get back to me.

So the AAU staff, travel coaches whatever "know these kids" better than the coaches that are with the players close to 10 hours a day from the start of the school day to the end of practice, everyday? The travel team staff "has a bunch of former players coaching". Pretty sure almost every member of the staff now were former players, there are a lot of awards, accolades, college playing experience and yes even rings. But like I said in another post, playing at Richmond ain't the same as coaching at Richmond. Richmond has never won a state Championship with a coach who graduated or played at Richmond as the Head Coach.

Reactions: bigdadd11103
It's going to be several years before Richmond will be competitive again. Varsity just doesn't have the talent and the JV team is even worse. Maybe a new head coach and offensive defensive coordinators would help. Don't know...it just breaks my heart to see such a storied and proud program being humiliated week in and week out.

Go raiders!
It wont be as bad as you think. Coach Till has had some great competitive teams while there. This year it seems like trust issues, and a very tough schedule have the team down. The MP loss was shocking though.

Most schools have cyclical years like this where they just cant get right, RC just has never experienced it. The JV is a dipstick of a HS program. The JV not winning is another concern for next year and going forward, It makes it look like an organizational issue vs. just a one off bad varsity team.

Things that made Richmond great in years past have been great athletes,top flight coaching and support from administration. Richmond has none of these qualities now. Y’all it’s been 15 years since the last state title. This is the way it’s gonna be from now on. You will have some teams that will make the playoffs but they will be few and far between. I don’t see Richmond EVER winning another state title. The glory days are long gone.

With all due respect BD, some of the things i am reading by some of our "faithful" are way beyond a lil crazy they are down right delusional. Funny we went from delusions of thinking people like Tommy Knotts, Bobby Poss, Maurice Flowers and Antonio King coming to Richmond to now lil Billy's dad who coaches football part time.

Is Richmond playing the best players, according to fans in the stands, they never have ...so why start now. As far me I have no clue because i am not at practice everyday, nor am i in the weight room or the classrooms but i do know a group of people who are. Now having said that, there is a group of people I watch during games that makes me shake my head and wonder "is there really nobody better to put out there?" You want to really see Richmonds problems? Try this, pick an offensive lineman each series, watch only that player on every play, ignore the motions, the QB, RB's and the ball. Watch each one of those lineman for a whole series and get back to me.

So the AAU staff, travel coaches whatever "know these kids" better than the coaches that are with the players close to 10 hours a day from the start of the school day to the end of practice, everyday? The travel team staff "has a bunch of former players coaching". Pretty sure almost every member of the staff now were former players, there are a lot of awards, accolades, college playing experience and yes even rings. But like I said in another post, playing at Richmond ain't the same as coaching at Richmond. Richmond has never won a state Championship with a coach who graduated or played at Richmond as the Head Coach.
Its an interesting time for RC for sure. Still think they finish strong in conference and possibly make the playoffs. This was likely the year for a cupcake schedule vs the gauntlet they have. Might be time to remove Butler, CG, and the random power team. Right now just need a win and good momentum.

Its an interesting time for RC for sure. Still think they finish strong in conference and possibly make the playoffs. This was likely the year for a cupcake schedule vs the gauntlet they have. Might be time to remove Butler, CG, and the random power team. Right now just need a win and good momentum.
That WIN is coming Friday night....Yep a lot of things going wrong....Maybe the ship will right itself after a win...I'm betting it will...I'm with u 11103...

Who were the former Raider players that were head coach at RSHS?

There isn’t a lot of coaches in the area that make sense for this job right now, but I can think of three. Duran McLaurin from 71st very solid candidate who has a system and builds tough teams each year. He also dominated Richmond this year and currently best coach in Fayetteville. Scott Riley is the only head coach in Cleveland high school history and has never had a losing season and routinely has them make deep runs in the playoffs. Excellent candidate might would be tough to pull him from there.

But I can not think of a better candidate than Cory Johnson current head coach at Clinton High School and former defensive coordinator at Scotland County high school. During his time at Scotland they dominated the conference never losing a game and went to two state titles. Scotland still has not recovered from losing him. Would be a nightmare situation to not go get him and then Scotland goes and grabs him with Bailey retiring anytime now (never lost to Richmond while at Scotland). Then at Clinton he revived a program that was great in 90s and early 2000s just like Richmond and has them poised for a state title appearance in his sixth year. He has made Clinton the cool program in this area right now and sending a lot of players to college in his time there. He also does a great job of changing his offenses each year to match his personnel something most coaches do not do.

I think the silence from the fanatics speaks volumes. In my humble opinion there are several factors that have led us down this path. Economics has had a huge impact in several ways. One way is mentality, the blue collar work ethic of the past has eroded and been replaced by a sense of entitlement. Kids use to see care givers come home from a hard shift at the mills or the railroad and grow up knowing you had to work hard for a living. The influx of new families moving to the area to work those jobs stopped when the industries shut down. People have been fleeing the area, Richmond is no longer one of the biggest schools in the state, hasn't been for awhile. So the talent pool has shrunk with the population. Richmond bloodlines have always been a big part of their success. Some of those bloodlines have moved, some have been depleted and some have been watered down through the generations. Economic woes are different for each community, Kannapolis went through similar times but it's location, close to Charlotte, has and will help it continue to sustain. Look at the areas around Richmond. Anson once 4A now 2A, Scotland 4A to 3A, Marlboro Co. in SC was once a big 16 school now it is a 2A.
Economics plays a role hiring coaches, maintaining facilities, community identity and population.

Another factor is coaching, I am not speaking of quality, there are some bright, talented people on the staff but what the current staff is lacking is experience. Look at previous staffs, there were always a core of veterans dating back to the 1st Barnes era. I love that there are so many former players on the current staff but playing at Richmond and coaching at Richmond are two completely different animals.

The last two factors I am only going to mention briefly because i am tired of typing. The world has changed, and not for the better. Football is hard, at Richmond and places that are use to being successful, it's even harder. Getting harder and harder to find kids tough enough. Finally, the landscape of high school football has shifted power on the 4A level. Urban and suburban schools now dominate, Richmond just doesn't have the resources to compete.

I will always love my Raiders, always going to support them no matter the record or the score. Anyways, sorry for the long winded answer but like i said there are several factors, not just one.
A very well-stated response, to which I agree 100%, buddy. I've been in education for over 30 years, and your hit the nail on the head with the socio-economic and demographic changes time has brought. The old guy who was the Raider mascot for decades would shed a tear at what has happened. It is NOT a coaching problem; it is a storm of challenges that many, many high schools are struggling to deal with, but probably will never overcome.

A very well-stated response, to which I agree 100%, buddy. I've been in education for over 30 years, and your hit the nail on the head with the socio-economic and demographic changes time has brought. The old guy who was the Raider mascot for decades would shed a tear at what has happened. It is NOT a coaching problem; it is a storm of challenges that many, many high schools are struggling to deal with, but probably will never overcome.
Agree with (both of) your assessment(s). You are most correct as well ... Mr. Charlie Brownlee would be somewhat distraught over how things are right now. BUT - he would still be right there in full regalia, looking and waiting for the opportunity to fire his flintlock pistol! He was a fine Man, as well as a Raider Diehard - through and through, to the END.

Agree with (both of) your assessment(s). You are most correct as well ... Mr. Charlie Brownlee would be somewhat distraught over how things are right now. BUT - he would still be right there in full regalia, looking and waiting for the opportunity to fire his flintlock pistol! He was a fine Man, as well as a Raider Diehard - through and through, to the END.
Got to see him run onto the field twice in person....many times on Channel 5 Football Fridays....one of the all time greatest NC high school mascots, and I would venture to say the most loyal. Miss dedication--and people--like that. Nonetheless, the sun always rises after it sets. I may take time, but it will rise.

Richmond has definitely ventured into uncharted territory at the moment and in the foreseeable future. Long gone are the days of simply reloading and putting out a team that could compete with anybody in the state. So many others have pointed to the nature of programs being cyclic which is so true. However, Richmond in the past, years with down cycles were still peppered with enough talent, depth and coaching to still be competitive. Their down teams were still better than 75-80% of the 4a teams in the state. Those times are gone, reasons have been stated in other posts. Richmond's cycle has been trending over the last couple of decades to a greater disparity between the good teams(years) and the down teams (years). This next statement pains me more than you can imagine and i so truly hope i am proven wrong. I just don't see Richmond returning to being a serious championship contender until the next generational group comes around. A group such as the 97-98 group that was led by 4 players who were good enough to be signed by a top 10 nationally ranked team, just can't bring myself to call that team by name🤢. The suburban and city schools that are now the powers just have greater resources to overcome. We look at the sidelines and see an army of players dressed in Green & Gold, we hear about the numbers but how many are actually FOOTBALL players? Kids that are dawgs, scrappy, tough and know how to play the game the right way. That was and has always been a trademark of Richmond Football, you might out score us, you may beat us but you would never out hit us. Has that been true over the last decade?

Reactions: paulraiderfan
A good point was made. A Richmond down year traditionally is like 8-9 wins in which is impressive. Richmond potentially only winning 4-6 games is something this program hasn’t really experienced.

Perhaps Richmond should lighten the non conference schedule for a few years.

We'll see what happens Friday night hopefully we won't reach critical mass.
You shouldn’t (hit critical mass) - I’ll be shocked beyond belief if the Raiders don’t dominate this week. But that’s why you play the game.

You shouldn’t (hit critical mass) - I’ll be shocked beyond belief if the Raiders don’t dominate this week. But that’s why you play the game.
Frankly at this point I would be surprised if Richmond can even get past Southern Lee. Maybe 2-3 wins at best. Not being a pessimist, just a realiest. Still love my Raiders!!

2 or 3 wins and not beating southern lee doesnt add up, cant imagine a
raider fan enjoying to watch s lee celebrate a win at Richmond

2 or 3 wins and not beating southern lee doesnt add up, cant imagine a
raider fan enjoying to watch s lee celebrate a win at Richmond
As far as Raider fans go, this season’s enjoyment factor is already taxed to the max. The Raiders could run the table from here on out, but a 6-4 regular season record is the quintessential equivalent of a horrendous showing for many - if not most - of the Raider-fanatic diehards. None of’em will/would enjoy watching anyone else celebrate in the wake of their defeat. No … it would only serve to starve the monster of superior expectations that has always resided in that area. That monster’s hunger always dictates its anger. The ONLY thing that can/could potentially quell that ire would be a table-run to a SAC title. Pretty sure we all know the likelihood of that scenario.
Just sayin …

So testy my raider football football guy, just said that to get 3 wins the s lee game was a must, 19 pt fav
According. To mr simmons ..
Good luck tonight maybe the s lee players would not be doing chin ups on the goal post come 10 o’clock.

The 71st coach is a 71st alumni. Not sure he would want to leave 71st for Richmond unless of course there is some financial incentive to do so. He has 71st in great shape and they whipped Richmond in week 1. But you never know. Bailey left Fayetteville for Scotland citing the advantage of coaching at a one high school county as one of his primary motives for making the move.

Last edited:
I was pleased with our effort after the first two possessions last night...I saw some improvements on both sides of the ball, and some good adjustments...We missed 3 starters last night....One on the OL , one on the DL ,and one in the secondary...Hopefully they will be ready Friday...Lets have a great week of practice and a great game plan and see what happens.....I loved our emotion , after being down 13-0....To me the ejection looked more like a push from behind , but I guess the conference will review it and make the call....Overall the refs did a good job keeping the game under control....

Wins record of Pinecrest opponents 4-wins / .....................Richmond county opponents win record..15 wins /.........Richmond has been tested against 3 of the best in the state...Take away the deep ball and this could be a slobber knocker....The winner could be the Conference Champ....

Reactions: SEC-Patriot
Wins record of Pinecrest opponents 4-wins / .....................Richmond county opponents win record..15 wins /.........Richmond has been tested against 3 of the best in the state...Take away the deep ball and this could be a slobber knocker....The winner could be the Conference Champ....
Our opponents win record will be 5 after the game friday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT